✨Part Three✨
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once the bell rang, Beatrix snatched her backpack and darted through the crowded hallway, dodging other students and teachers. She headed straight to the school lawn, where she knew a secluded bench under a shady tree. While most of the students of Greystone Academy flocked to the cafeteria for their lunch break, Beatrix preferred to avoid the crowds and the noise. She had a different kind of hunger, one that could only be satisfied by the pages of a very special worn out book. The clouds hung low in the sky, casting a gloomy shadow over the fall day. A faint chill crept into the air, making her shiver as she walked outside. Despite the cloudy weather, she didn’t mind, Autumn was her favorite season. The sound of the leaves crunching under her feet was music to her ears. Finally with enough privacy, she opened The Shadowlore Compendium and immersed herself in the arcane secrets of magic spells, sigils, and rituals. Oblivious to the world around her. 

Even though Avery had flooded her thoughts throughout the day, nothing could get in the way of her secret lunch routine. Still she wondered what Avery would think if he ever knew her secret. She wished she could tell him, but knew he would never understand. Not to mention her mother would be beyond furious with her if anyone ever found out. Beatrix's mother had a very strict attitude towards magic. She forbade her daughter from using her powers in public or learning about magic from other sources. Her mother taught her certain spells and how to control her natural abilities, but that wasn't enough for Beatrix. She wanted to know more, to try every spell, to push herself and see what she was fully capable of. Ever since she got her hands on The Shadowlore Compendium last month she has spent every lunch period learning a little more. She keeps the book tucked away in her locker, a much safer location than home. Hoping by the summer she'll have learned every dark spell within the books ancient pages. She was immersed in her book, when a familiar voice startled her.

"Hey stranger, whatcha reading?"

She gasped and dropped her book. "Avery! You scared the shit out of me!" Still she was glad to see him again.

Avery smirked a bit amused by the whole situation. "I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to spook you. Seriously we really have to stop meeting like this." He picked up her book, curiously examining the title and flipping through the pages. Joining her on the bench he grinned and asked, "Woah, is this a book of spells? Looks dope."

She snatched the book back from him and clutched it close to her chest, embarrassed and feeling like her big secret was exposed as he gazed at her with intrigue. "Maybe it is, maybe it's not... Better question is: Why are you out here during lunch?"

"I couldn't find you in the caf, I overheard some kids talking about having lunch out on the lawn, so, here I am. I was thinking about that favor."

Relived that her book was no longer the topic of conversation she replied, "Oh yeah? So did you come up with anything interesting?"

Avery shifted on the bench, finding the perfect spot to face her comfortably. He rested his arm on the back of the bench, casually drawing her closer to him. Once settled in he flashed her a warm smile, his voice was laced in mischief when he responded to her question."Well I spent the last three periods coming up with some ideas, none of which were even close to as perfect as the one I just thought of." 

There's that static again... "Well don't leave me hanging."

"I kinda want it to be a surprise..." He paused and discreetly looked around. "...But, we're gonna have to get outta here first."

Beatrix used the opportunity to stuff her spell book back into her bag, and started rummaging in there looking for her phone. "So you got something planned for after school? I'd have to text my mom some excuse, she can be a monster if she's in one of her moods..."

While he was still covertly surveying the area, he cut her off. "Actually, I have something planned for right now. We're ditching, and I'm taking you somewhere you'll never forget."

She couldn’t help but chuckle as she looked at him incredulously. “Um, yeah, okay, sure." She said sarcastically. "Let’s just ditch school during lunch.” 

Avery’s expression was unchanged. He was serious. Beatrix wasn't exactly the valedictorian but she would never dare ditch school. Overall she wasn't a big troublemaker, mostly stayed in her lane and was careful especially when it came to her powers. She feared her mother's wrath more than anything. She felt nervous but still she thought, Maybe this is my chance to do something different? To have some fun? A strange thrill mixed with her fear, and the air still crackled with static.

Avery noticed her hesitation. He slid closer to her, placing his hand gently on her shoulder. Looking at her, comfortingly. His eyes intently sparking the connection they shared when they first saw through her. This time his gaze was softer, or maybe just familiar. Calmly he said, "Hey, look, we don't have to if you're not up for it, I totally get it, no pressure or anything like..."

His voice began to tune out. Beatrix's head was swarming with too many questions and possibilities. The pros and cons battling it out like a scene from an epic war movie. She heard Avery's voice, it sounded like a captivating melody. A riddle wrapped in electricity that bewitched her soul and intrigued her curiosity. She also heard the smooth and precise voice of her mother, like a violin cutting through the silence. They were lost in the noise of the other voices, clamoring for her attention. She used her powers to push them away, to silence them in the darkest corners of her mind. As if she were flipping a switch to turn off the noise. A dark smoke rose from her thoughts, choking them into a temporary silence.

Abruptly she asked, "How?"

Confused and taken aback by her question Avery replied, "How what?"

She leaned in and whispered in his ear, "How are we gonna pull it off?"

1