✨Part Four✨
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Avery’s eyes sparkled with joy as he heard her answer. He could barely contain his excitement. His reaction was oddly adorable to Beatrix. She saw a boyish charm and enthusiasm in him that contrasted with the cool and confident demeanor of the Algebra hero she met in the library. "Leave that to me. All I need you to do is keep a look out, okay?"

Beatrix wasn't sure what his plan was, but she trusted him. She stood up from the bench and covertly swept her gaze across the lawn, alert for any signs of trouble or curious eyes. A few other classmates lounged on the benches and grass, chatting or munching on their lunches. None of the handful of students out in the lawn seemed to notice them, or even care about what they were doing. While keeping look out, she heard Avery mutter something under his breath, his voice was low and raspy, but enough to gain her attention. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw him crouching down and scribbling something on the ground. She thought she saw a faint blue spark flicker from the spot on the ground he was focused on, but it was gone in a blink of an eye.

He raised his gaze and smiled. “Ready?” he asked, his voice full of anticipation.

She blushed as he caught her looking. She stumbled over her words, but finally managed to say something. “Uh, yeah, um, ready for what?”

He sprung up from the bench, looked at her slyly and said, “You’ll see. Just cover your ears.”

His words stirred her nerves. She hesitated, unsure of what he was planning. “Why? What exactly are you going to do?”

Avery stepped behind Beatrix, wrapping his arms around her shoulders while cupping his palms over her ears, muffling the noise. His breath brushed her neck, like the perfect crisp breeze on a fall day, sending a shiver down her spine. He whispered in her ear, “Trust me, it’s gonna be loud” his voice rough and edgy, like a soft wind howling through the very same fall air. She felt his chest rise and fall against her back, like a steady drum that matched her heartbeat, causing a flutter in her stomach.

Before Beatrix could savor the warmth of his hands and the closeness of his chest, a deafening boom shook the air, rattling her bones. She opened her eyes to a blinding flash of light, a jagged bolt of thunder tore the sky apart, like a hammer smashing through glass above their school. She gasped, amazed and terrified. She looked around and saw the other students on the lawn, screaming and running towards the building. She saw the teachers and staff rushing out of the doors, trying to calm the chaos and get everyone inside. All she could think in the moment was, Did he really just do that?

She quickly turned to Avery, who was grinning from ear to ear. After releasing his warm hands from her ears, he leaned in and whispered, “Let’s go.” He grabbed her hand and pulled away from the bench. He ran towards side entrance, dragging her along. She followed him, heart pounding, still in shock. She didn’t know what to think, or what to say. She only knew that he had just done something incredible, something she's never witnessed before, something that could get them both in a lot of trouble. As scared as she was, she loved it.

They darted out of the side gate and onto the sidewalk, leaving behind the pandemonium they had caused. Beatrix was wrapped in adrenaline and fear as she finally realized what had just happened. As they ran up the block, she let go of his hand and froze in her tracks, her heart pounding in her chest. Avery whirled around and reached for her hand again.

"Come one, were almost by my car."

She folded her arms, rejecting his hand, and snapped, "Dude, what at the fuck just happened back there? Was that you? Did you summon the thunder and lightning?"

He waved his hand at her, urging her to follow him, as he said, “Yeah, ok, that was me. And I’ll tell you everything in the car, I swear. But we have to get out of here, now!" He looked over his shoulder, as if expecting someone to chase them. She nodded, still in shock, and took his hand again. Running away from Greystone Academy, away from what would have been a boring and ordinary Monday, and literally into the unknown with him. 

1