2|World of…
86 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mae perched on the cliff's precipice, like a feather on the wind's breath. 

Below, the forest unfurled in a tapestry of emerald green, sun-dappled leaves shimmering like scattered emeralds. The breeze rustled a lullaby that soothed Mae's irritated nerves.

The air itself shimmered with hazy magic, the world softened at the edges. Sunlight, filtered through a million emerald filters, painted dappled patterns across Mae's skin, warming her.

Distant birdsong from birds she didn't know became a symphony, each note a foreign one in her ears. 

The scent of pine and damp earth filled her lungs, a familiar yet unfamiliar feeling that she had experienced so many times.

Time became fluid, melting away like mist under the rising sun. 

The world blurred at the edges, reality and dreams intertwining in a dance she was not so content to follow.

Mae closed her eyes, letting the warmth of the sun soak into her bones. The symphony of the forest filled her ears, a lullaby sung by a thousand leaves. 

At that moment, Mae existed only as a part of the landscape, a breath in the vast exhale of the ancient trees, a dream spun from sunlight and whispers.

But not so long did a voice so familiar interrupt her rest. 

"...Are you calm now, Mae?" 

"Shut up." Mae's peaceful face scrunched up and she gritted her teeth. The annoyance she managed to fend away is coming back to her. 

"..."

"Are you going to keep ignoring me? Your tantrum has been ongoing for 3 days." 

Mae remained silent. 

"Maeeeeeeeeee~" 

Mae tried to turn into deaf ears, breathing rhythmically. 

"Mae, are you so mad that your dear system came with you?" The voice became soft, begging for pity. It was a technique that Mae's operating system had been using long before. 

At the start, Mae would succumb with softness, but not after a thousand years of being together with the damn dramatic system.

"Four, It's on the contract. The moment I retire, my connection with the Higher plane should be cut off completely! It includes not being bound with any entity like a system!" A strange but powerful pressure radiated from Mae's figure, scaring a lot of animals below the cliff.

"...Well. You're right." Four's voice became low. 

"But the thing here is, I'm not connected to System 0 anymore, and so, have no connection to the Higher plane. The moment you tore the contract, System 0 kicked me out of the management and gave me freedom as well as the ability to 'grow'." System 04 explained.

Mae grumbled, her pressure vanishing like a lie, "Why would System 0 act so arbitrarily? Even giving you to me?" 

"You sound so disgruntled! Am I so annoying to you?!" Four became loud. Hearing no reply from its 'owner', Four whined. 

"I also don't know why my main superior did that. What I do know is, I am something like a gift. That was the last information that System 0 streamed into my 'consciousness' before cutting me off the Higher Plane." Four said, a little complaint in its voice. 

9