Chapter 6: Hormone Inspector
684 1 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.



“Something’s wrong here… Hmm, this class is lacking something.”


In the class, Sylvan in formal clothing, stood in front of a student. Their faces were just a few centimeters apart. The teen was not flichend under Sylvan gaze as he stared at him with a blank gaze. His eyes were cybernetic implants, metallic spheres embedded deep into scarred sockets. Tiny lenses whirred, adjusting focus from Sylvan's close proximity.


“I know.. What's wrong here! I'm just not feeling the energy in here! This class needs some sparks, some sizzle!" Sylvan straightened abruptly, hands on his hips as his gaze swept the room.


"You lot are as flexible as a ten meter long metal pole shoved down a clogged toilet pipe!" Sylvan pivoted to face the class, hands planted firmly on his narrow hips.


The students including Nox exchanged bewildered glances at this pronouncement.


Oblivious, Sylvan paced the front, his formal shoes clicking sharply. "What we need is to get the energy humming in here! I swear, I've seen more enthusiasm from wax figurines at the history museum."

Sylvan rubbed his hands eagerly. "I have an idea on how to improve the situation. When I call your name, draw a lot. Whoever's name is on your paper will be your new seat buddy!"

"Danny?"

"Present, sir!" A tall, lanky boy hurried up.

"Allison?"

A girl with a long blonde braid hopped up to draw a lot after Danny.

Sylvan continued calling up random students one by one. Each quickly drew a small slip of paper from an old top hat Sylvan produced, reading out their new partner's name.

"Nox!"

Nox looked up in surprise when Sylvan called his name. He walked to the front, eyes narrowed at his teacher's appearance up close. Sylvan's face was pale and deeply lined, with dark circles under his eyes as if he hadn't slept in weeks. But his enthusiasm seemed boundless as he called students one after another.


Sylvan handed him the hat, a gleeful grin plastered on his face. "Go on, lad. Pick your lucky seat buddy."

 


Nox hesitated for a moment, then reached in to grab one of the few remaining slips. He unfolded it, muttering the name. "Thea?"

 


'A girl?' Nox's mind raced with confusion. 'Is this teacher nuts? Georgios just told us to keep away from females, and now this guy is making us sit together?'

He couldn't fathom the logic behind Sylvan's decision. 'What exactly is going through this guy's mind?'



Shaking his head, Nox wandered back towards his own seat, not understanding the thought process about this combat teacher. He could already imagine veins bulging in Georgios' shiny bald head when he caught wind of this seating arrangement.


As Nox approached his desk, he spotted a figure already standing there. It was a girl- Although it was the middle of June, she was bundled up in layered fabrics that covered her body, leaving only her face and hands exposed.


She stood there bashfully while looking down. Nox noticed she was fiddling nervously with the heavy fabrics obscuring her body.


The heavy clothing could not conceal her natural beauty. She had a heart-shaped face with delicate features - high cheekbones, an elegant chin, and arched brows that gave her an air of refinement.


As she heard footsteps, She raised her head and Nox was momentarily taken aback by her vibrant emerald eyes, which shone keenly behind a pair of glasses.


'This must be my desk partner, Thea?' Nox thought to himself, and a friendly grin appeared on his face.


"Hey, I'm Nox," he said, extending his hand in greeting, trying to seem approachable.

The girl met his gaze tentatively, apprehension and curiosity swirling in those green depths. She tucked an errant lock of hair behind her ear in a self-conscious gesture, slender fingers trembling slightly as she reached to clasp his hand.

"I-I'm Thea," she stammered softly, her cool skin a contrast to the warmth of her touch.

Nox gave her hand a gentle, reassuring squeeze. "It's great to meet you, Thea. Have a seat." He gestured to the empty chair beside him. "This whole forced buddy system is a bit over-the-top, huh?" seeing her so nervous, he joked lightly.

As Thea sat, Nox noticed how her oversized sweater and layers of clothing seemed to overwhelm her slight frame, obscuring her figure. Yet there were hints of underlying beauty - the vivid color of her hair, those mesmerizing eyes.

Nox rolled his eyes dramatically at the other oddly matched pairs around the room. "Professor Sylvan really has a flair for the dramatic, doesn't he?"



Thea hesitated, then a shy smile spread across her face. She glanced up at Nox briefly before lowering her eyes again. "I think...that must be his true nature."

She paused, considering her words. "My brother had him last year. He was always coming up with, um...unconventional ideas."

Nox scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Not just unconventional. Downright dangerous! He made boys and girls sit together. If Georgios the Hormone Inspector caught wind of that, we'd all be toast."

Unable to restrain herself, Thea let out a soft laugh, her cheeks flushing pink. "The Hormone Inspector? Oh my, that does sound like him."



Thea's laugh rang out like a silver bell, her cheeks still flushed pink with amusement. Nox grinned too. This girl is not nervous as she initially was.


"I see the positive energy flowing!  Excellent, excellent!"


There was a sudden interruption which startled both Nox and Thea, Unbeknown to them, Sylvan suddenly burst into their field of vision. His toothy grin seemed wider than ever as he clapped his hands loudly right in front of them, drawing the entire class's attention.


Thea shrank back, her shoulders hunching as she lowered her gaze. Nox noticed a blush spreading across her delicate features again, clearly embarrassed.


Sylvan didn't say much as he rubbed his hands together eagerly. "This is the level of enthusiasm I demand!"

He began to pace the front of the classroom, formal shoes clicking sharply. "But don't think for a second that we've reached our full potential. There's still untapped energy in this room!---”



"Instructor, I must object." Before he could finish, A gruff voice called out from the back of the classroom.


Sylvan froze mid-pace, his eager expression momentarily faltering. He looked toward the source of interruption and saw a broad-shouldered teen with a bald, scarred head. Where his eyes should have been were metal spheres embedded deep into the sockets. Tiny lenses whirred and clicked as they focused on Sylvan.


“Sir, Instructor Georgios made it very clear we're to avoid fraternization with the opposite gender. Your seating plan goes against his instructions.” He spoke again, his tone was firm but respectful.


"Y-yeah, sir. Instructor Georgios was really specific about… um… keeping our distance."

"He said… hormones, and stuff. How this could … compromise our studies."

"My parents also said this. That I should maintain a clear distance from others and only focus on learning."


Murmurs of agreement spread through the classroom. While Nox studied Sylvan's face, noting his smile growing brighter instead of dimming. Which appears unusual.


"Please reconsider before we get in trouble," another pleaded.

Sylvan's expression suddenly hardened, his smile vanishing. A chilling look entered his eyes that sent a shiver through the classroom.



In a blur, Sylvan appeared directly in front of the door, blocking the exit. He began pacing slowly, hands clasped behind his back. Each click of his heels echoed ominously.

"How precious...mice scurrying back to their holes, quaking in fear of displeasing Georgios." His words dripped icy contempt.

Sylvan pivoted sharply, spear-like gaze transfixing the class. "Well? Are you students or mindless lemmings, swallowing orders while your potential festers?"

He shook his head, disgust etched on his face, "Tsk tsk, Even amoebas have more backbone you guys. At least they can multiply on their own."

 


Sylvan stopped abruptly, face morphing into a cold, expressionless mask. When he spoke again, his voice was hollow, sending chills down their spines. "If you lack the fortitude for true education, the door is there."

He motioned with mocking graciousness toward the exit. "I won't alter my methods for a few boneless individuals. This is my class, my rules."

His words hung in the air like an icy fog, making it difficult to breathe. The students sat paralyzed as Sylvan eyed them pitilessly.

"Well? Anyone care to leave?"

 

27