Chapter 2: Delegation
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Date: 301 (A.TS) 

“In Death, I’ll burn. For my kingdom. For Arla.”

Her last words. Arla’s Greatest Hero

***

Date: 346 (A.TS)

Present Day Arla

Arla wasn’t always plagued with pain and suffering, and drowned in war and bloodshed. A long time ago, harmony and peace once existed throughout the majestic world. But for these Arlans, in the present day, harmony and peace are only fantasies. Dreams are nothing but false hopes, and nightmares are ravenous, living entities. The wars may be over, but the agony continues…for both rulers and subjects. For magical Arlans and non-magical Arlans. 

*** 

Today is the Arlan Biannual Delegation Meeting, where the Sovereign Crowns, Ascended Incarnates, and representing members gather. It’s where the people of Arla can express their grievances and speak of their concerns in an open forum, outside of their sovereign kingdoms, to ensure stability and prevent another war, another Hallow War.

It was only a year after The Hallow War was over when The Biannual Delegation was created by the royal survivors. A war that saw an incalculable number of people dead. A war where weapons of divine power were unleashed, onto both the guilty and innocent. A war that saw desperate kings turn to dark, drastic measures. A war that saw once beloved rulers become nearly indestructible villains. 

Bloodshed consumed the light of Arla, plunging it into total darkness. This war changed the entire landscape, and their future. 

***

Before the start of The Hallow War, Arla was split into 9 kingdoms, ruled by nine different Ascended Incarnates, humans blessed with the powers of the Arlan Gods, the caretakers of the Gods’ kingdoms. These kingdoms were: 

  1. The Desert Kingdom, Kingdom of Kings and Gods, Ruled by the Ascended Incarnate of Sfin (God of Divine Weapons, Crafts, and Art): King Prest. Prest, a descendant of the victorious legend King Jaho, had ruled over the colorful Desert, the smallest landscape of the four regions and home to various beings, for 27 years;
  1. In the Mountains, there stood the Kingdom of Trykar, Ruled by the Ascended Incarnate of Trykar, God of Trickery, Chaos, and the First Beasts: King Losk. The youngest of five, Losk’s rise to the Crown and reign in the mountains, was unprecedented. He possessed the power to induce madness and shapeshift into anything. 
  1. In the Isle, an ethereal, luminescent kingdom resided: the Isle Kingdom of Stars, Light, and Mists, Ruled by the Ascended Incarnate of Skyra, Goddess of the Skies, Oceans, and Healing. Her name was Queen Siobhan. Once a Beloved Queen, her reign would become poisoned by grief and so she became known as The Tempest Queen. 
  1. and in the Meadows, there once stood six kingdoms:
    1. Kingdom of Death and Sleep, Ruled by the Ascended Incarnate of Death, King Froll, who possessed the power to induce deep sleep.
    2. The Kingdom of Destinies & Divination, Ruled by the Ascended Incarnate of Diné (Goddess of Prophecies, Sight, and Divination): Queen Erryn. With the power to see the future, she became the bravest of them all, although labeled a traitor by her people. 
    3. The Scarlet Kingdom, Ruled by the Ascended Incarnate of Inr, God of War: King Dyr;
    4. The Kingdom of Secrets and Songs, Ruled by the Ascended Incarnate of Arra, Goddess of Truth and Melodies: King Barr;
    5. The Gardenia Kingdom, Ruled by the Ascended Incarnate of Fer, Goddess of Fertility, the Ethereal Gardens, and the Terrene: Queen Ura; and the  
    6. The Kingdom of Flames and Inferno, Ruled by the Ascended Incarnate of Fyr, God of Fire: Queen Cinna, a legend of legends. 

These nine kingdoms mostly hated each other. In fact, war and crusades were very common before the Hallow War. These wars were building up to this moment, this catastrophe. But it was him, a desperate king of the desert, who already plunged his kingdom and neighbors into a war, plundering their lands, all for a Blessed Jewel, who escalated things . His desperation would see the end of two Ascended Incarnates and their essences from Arla, forever. 

But that was only the beginning. His desperation would spill over, and plunge the entire world in war. The Hallow War would see the absolute death of three more Ascended Incarnates and their essences, the dissolution of four kingdoms, and subjugation of many. Agony was felt everywhere. 

All because of a Blessed Jewel. 

Today, only five kingdoms remain in Arla:

  • The Desert Kingdom, Kingdom of Kings and Gods, now ruled by King Jaho II.
  • The Kingdom of Trykar, now ruled by King Jamos.
  • The Isle Kingdom of Stars, Light, and Mists, now ruled by Queen Sharra: The Troubled Queen;
  • The Kingdom of Flames and Inferno, now ruled King Kyran: Son of the Brave; and
  • The Kingdom of Death and Sleep, now ruled by The Immortal King and Queen Rosar.

Once home to 14 Kingdoms and 13 Ascended Incarnates, Arla was now down to 5 Kingdoms…but most importantly, down to 9 Incarnates: 

  • five currently in power as heads of their kingdoms called Sovereign Crowns,
  • one banished from their home, 
  • two under sovereign rule, and 
  • one in hiding. 

Eight of these nine come together each year to ensure peace and stability. But of course, for some, it was nothing but a facade and merely an appearance. But to ensure fairness, impartiality, and justice, the original eight decided to include eight other members—members belonging the other three classes of beings residing in Arla and have existed alongside humans since the beginning: 

  • 4 representatives from the Dowers race— a race of icy, exquisite beings created by the Goddess of Judgement and Retribution, Reyna. Dowers are not good nor evil in the world of Arla. They will do what’s necessary. 
  • 2 representatives from the Shadow Shifters race—a race of red-eyed beings created by Hunu, God of the Hunt and Darkness with the help of Fer and Trykar. Hunu created them to guard his palace at dawn. During the Day, they moved as shadows, while at Night, they turned into flesh beings. They were excellent hunters, possessing extraordinary senses, and with the ability to walk through anything.
  • 2 representatives from the Dawnwalkers race—a race of beings created by Skyra, creatures that feed on pain. During the Day, their appearances are known as omens.

Today, Dowers, Shadow Shifters, Dawnwalkers, and Man all have one thing in common: survival. These 16 members make up what is now known as the High Court

The High Court has no idea of the chaos that’s about to follow this meeting. 

***

“You should really take the box.” King Jamos of the Mountains was speaking to a Dower, holding a large red box. They were standing in the waiting room of the Halls of Palais, located in the Eastern Meadows, once home to the Goddess Fer. 

The short, widowed King was the first of the Sovereign Crowns and Ascended Incarnates to appear, as usual. Coming to these meetings was one of the rare events he ventured down from his throne. And every time he did, he brought a gift for a Dower. He was obsessed with them, for they were both ethereal and bewitching. Dark skin with gray wavy hair and icy white eyes. They wore ivory arm bands with the words ‘Rynae Enayr Yrane Nraey Aynre’ inscribed on each. And they spoke two languages. 

The one he was talking with today was named Myrna, his favorite.

“Is there an animal inside?” She asked, with suspicious, squinting eyes. Everyone knew the King loved to play pranks. He was Trykar’s Incarnate after all.

“Myrna, I promise there is no animal. Now, take the box.” He responded, shoving the box in her space. He wouldn’t take no for an answer. The King was lonely. His wife died in a horrific incident 8 years prior, which led their son Xand to become a recluse and their daughter Mesyla fall victim to drifting, just like her mother. 

Once Myrna opened and saw what was inside, a tiny smile broke through.

“I went out to sea, myself.” He boasted. “Go ahead, crack it.” 

Inside the box was a Fymae, a rare, round gem that was once a part of Skyra, the Goddess of Oceans, Skies, and Healing. Mother of Light. 

According to Arlan lore, during Skyra’s first fall from the Void of Nothing after she was created, Fymaes fell from her burning essence. As she was falling, she reached out and created the oceans. Crashing into the warm waters, so did the Fymaes. When one cracks open a Fymae, a glowing light emerges. This light can heal one of anything. 

Myran cracked it. 

“It’s beautiful.” Myran wasn’t charmed easily, but she couldn’t lie. She was becoming fond of the King. But this moment was unfortunately interrupted by a trumpet. 

The meeting was to begin soon…in the Main Hall of Palais. 

***

The Main Hall of Palais, on the main floor of the Hall of Palais, once home to Fer—the Goddess of Fertility, Ethereal Gardens, and the Terrene—was spacious and bright. Entering the room, one is greeted by immense, radiant light from the numerous windows taking up the back and left walls of the room. 

According to ancient Arlan lore, the Goddess Fer kept this place locked for so long because it housed her failed creations. It wasn’t open until many years after she left. The contents of what was inside was kept a secret by the Queen who ordered it open. But rumors circulated anyway. 

Today, the room hosted a large crowd. People from around Arla came to speak of their grievances and concerns. It was a lively atmosphere. People of different tones and languages came, and were wearing various vibrant robes.

At the hour of Dusk, the doors were shut to the public and the members of the High Court were summoned in the hall by the Addressor

Entering first, King Jamos of the Kingdom of Trykar. The King was wearing a golden cloak that covered his beige trousers and bear chest where the amulet rested. 

Then came King Jaho II, the Desert King, accompanied by his obeying eldest son, Prince Jaho III King Jamos was very surprised to see the son. He thought he would make the most of this opportunity, elsewhere, somewhere he shouldn’t be but kept returning.  

Following them, the Addresser announced the Immortal King, Stefan, dressed as black as his heart. Alongside him was his queen, the Ascended Incarnate of Diné: Queen Rosar. Their relationship was unusual and tumultuous. She was both his adopted daughter and possession. 

And finally, arrived Emmar, the Isle’s Pariesa also known as the Second Head to the Queen, and Ascended Incarnate of Desire. She was bold, in all ways. Her attitude, walk, attire. Today, she was wearing a revealing teal ball gown with a high slit that would allow anyone to see anything with one wrong move, and an open midriff.

“The Queen sends her regards.” Emmar announced, as she took her seat.

“Locked herself up again, I see.” Stefan quipped. 

Emmar could only roll her eyes. She knew that Her presence, and absence of Queen Sharra again was puzzling for the other members of the court. 

After a few minutes, when the Dowers, Shadowshifters, and Dawnwalkers arrived, the Addressor, a young, slim gentleman, marched up to the bench, holding an iris paper marked with the names of those in attendance, and gave it to the nice, maiden who was the delegation’s note keeper. Today’s no shows included: 

  • King Kyran of the Kingdom of Flames and Inferno,
  • the banished Ascended Incarnate Talo, and
  • Queen Sharra of the Isle.

***

The structure of the Biannual Delegation is fairly simple. First, there is the Open Session. One by one, within the allotted time, Arlans come up to the Bench of the High Court to discuss their issues they feel are not being properly handled by their Sovereigns. Some, for example, like to discuss domestic disputes, while others discuss monetary and land concerns. 

If the party is opening a claim against another including the Sovereign Crown that rules over them, then the accused is allowed to defend themselves. Afterwards, each member of the High Court, excluding the Accused Sovereign Crown (if applicable), votes to do either three things: (1) open an investigation, (2) dismiss, or (3) rule in favor of the accuser. 

Opening an investigation required only three votes by the High Court. To dismiss or rule in favor of the accuser, it would require a majority. Following this Open Session, if there is an open investigation, the case is heard and deliberated for hours, and requires a majority. 

But for today, only the Open Session is on the agenda, and the last to speak is a young man named Bilon. Poor guy.

Clearing his throat, “Hi, I’m Bilon.” He spoke with nerves. 

Voice trembling, “I’m….. here.. on behalf of….the Reclaimants Front.” He announced. His voice was already cracking. 

“Do you need some water?” Stefan asked, interrupting the young man.

The young man cleared his throat again and started over. 

“I, Bilon, am here on the behalf of the Reclaimants Front. We seek liberation of unkin from our lands on the accounts of cruelty against the…..the…the…” He was having trouble again. 

“Someone get this poor guy some water.” Rosar urged, finally making her attendance known. The young man was given a glass of water, and started over again. 

“I, Bilon, am here on the behalf of the Reclaimants Front. We seek an investigation for the liberation of unkin from our lands on the accounts of cruelty and neglect against the Sovereign Rule of Stefan and Rosar.” This wasn’t new. This has been happening for a while now since the war was over. 

The Reclaimants Front are a political movement that emerged a decade or so after the war. A small group of Arlans in the far West, once home and led by King Dyr, became very vocal about their frustration with their new reality: under the Immortal King’s rule. These loyal members and survivors to the late King Dyr began a movement, calling for liberation and independence—with or without an Ascended Incarnate, given that theirs was gone now.  The Immortal King obviously objected under the guise of protection against future attempts by the Desert, who was initially the Meadows’ common enemy, until the big war.  They have recruited and recruited residents from different former kingdoms including those outside the Meadows. Their cause has grown, even infiltrating the highest ranks of royal courts, unbeknownst to some of the royals. They call themselves rogue royals. But still, they are a bit disorganized, which hurts their cause. Nevertheless, each year, they send someone to the Delegation Meeting, who ends up never being found again. But still, they don’t give up. Today, it was Bilon’s turn. 

He just finished listing evidence of cruelty and neglect that he and his people experienced under this new rule. 

“And finally, one last thing.” He took a deep breath. “Again, speaking on the behalf of the Reclaimants Front, we also seek an investigation against the Desert Kingdom, on the grounds  of deliberate decimation.” The room went immediately silent. In the Arlan laws, deliberate decimation is the highest charge.

Before this meeting, the Reclaimants Front only sought action against the Meadows, although rumors circulated in the Desert of traitors. But still, the Desert was much, much smaller than the Meadows. Making this claim means they must have been growing in size, increasing their numbers. Something had changed. 

No one was speaking up. By the look on his face, the Desert King was stewing in anger. The Immortal King was disinterested. Rosar had a worried look on her face. Then, there was Emmar.

“And where are these Desert people making this cause…the evidence?” Emmar asked.

“I’m presenting on their behalf.” The young boy responded with a bit of an attitude.

“You do know you spent most of your speech on the Meadows.” Emmar responded, now standing. She was the tallest of them. “You haven’t provided enough evidence of your claim against the Desert.” Emmar asked. 

“I…..” He stuttered.

The room went silent again. 

“We obviously can’t move this case forward.” King Jaho’s son whispered to the others. 

“Of course, you would say that. Your father has been accused.” Emmar retorted, staring Rosar down. “And unfortunately, he can’t vote.” 

Silence again. 

“Six months.” Someone voiced. It was Yatra, a shadow shifter. She was normally quiet in these meetings, but not today. 

“Excuse you?” King Jaho II asked.

“I think we should open an investigation.” The shadow shifter suggested.

“Are you out of your mind?.” Rosar spat back. 

“This cause against the Desert is pretty steep. Am I wrong?” Yatra asked, turning to the crowd of stunned spectators.

The people aggressively shook their heads. 

“It would be bad faith to leave this untouched. Therefore, I vote to come back in six months to hear the evidence.” 

Then Yatra rose from her seat, headed towards the young man. She stopped right in front of him, grabbed his chin and said, “But, next time, send an actual representative of the Desert..and actual proof.” 

“Yatra, you are joking right?” The Desert King asked, the level of his voice raised.  

“I vote with Yatra.” Another voice spoke up. It was one of the Dowers. Jamos’ favorite.

“Same.” Another Dower then added.

Three votes. That’s all they needed.

“This is ludicrous.” King Jaho II shouted, rising up from this seat, with a bit of a stumble due to his bad leg. 

“Sit down, Jaho. Let’s just formally vote and go home.” Emmar demanded. So they did. 

The motion for an investigation against the Sovereign Rule of Stefan and Rosar was rejected again, but the motion for an investigation into the Desertwas granted.

The note keeper marked the decision on the motion, and rang the closing bell. And everyone left feeling uneasy….well except for the obnoxious Immortal King.  

***

“It’s very shocking the Separationists weren’t here today.” A young, fair woman, who was a spectator, said to another woman she was cozying up with. 

“They must have finally given up.” Her friend responded. 

Emmar couldn’t help but eavesdrop as she was waiting for her transport, given the Separationists movement was growing in her own backyard: the Isle. It was her duty to know what was going on. She was very eager to go back home, very anxious to tell everyone about this development.

She was also ready to get out of her dress. The pins holding the sides were a pain. As her transport finally arrived, she was greeted by King Jamos of the Mountains.

“I forgot to give you this.” The Mountain King was holding an Iris paper that had prints of jaguars on the backside. It was an invitation. “You weren’t at the banquet ages ago. Mesyla, my daughter, her coronation is approaching.”

Emmar, ages older than the young princess, only met her a couple of times. In those brief moments, she saw that Mesyla possessed something she desired, a blasé kind of spirit. She was excited to see her again. 

“I’ll be there.” She told the King. If she wanted to advance her agenda, she knew she would have to cozy up to the future Queen.

***

0