Chapter 6: Hidden
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Centuries ago, a serenading goddess ruled over a small kingdom in Western Arla. This kingdom, a kingdom of ballads and hymns, could be heard throughout the entire realm of Arla. A kingdom of noise and joy. The divine being who ruled this kingdom was Arra, the Goddess of Truth and Melodies. Known for her angelic voice and sublime beauty, Arra was revered by everyone, including her fellow gods. Some even argued she was the rightful Queen of the Gods, but when challenged, Yuitra always seemed to get the best of her. Someway, somehow. But unlike her fellow Gods, Arra rarely flaunted her true sinister, bewitching power. A power that has been hidden for centuries. 

Today, the Kingdom of Arra is occupied by invaders, and her Ascended Incarnate is in hiding. For those who remain trapped, some live in fear. But others live in hope…and resistance. 

***

A Week After Mesyla’s Ascension

The Mountain Kingdom was bustling and rowdy. Word had spread that Princess Mesyla had ascended. Everyone was eager to see her, including those from the outside. 

In Reņt, the province home to the Royal Family, all three palaces were overflowing with visitors and workers. Constantly entering and exiting as they were preparing for the Coronation Ceremonies. A five day affair. First on the agenda was the Coronation Trials—a day-long event where the Heir must complete a series of trials testing their fitness and strength. Created during the reign of King Janos, only the Royal Court bears witness.

Up next, the Formal Ball—an event held at dusk where the Royal Family, the Royal Council, and special guests are invited to attend. Here, the Heir performs a mating dance with a partner of their choosing. The Formal Ball was created during the reign of Queen Lanasa to ensure the future of Trykar and his kingdom.  

Following the Ball is the most anticipated event, the Coronation Games.Ruthless and merciless in nature. All are welcome to attend and watch.  

Then there are the final two events: The Christening and The Crowning. The Christening, an intimate event, is reserved for the family, the Royal Council, and a priestess. And finally, on the last day, the grand celebration: The Crowning. 

While almost everyone was preparing for these events, Princess Mesyla was getting used to her new life as the Ascended Incarnate of Trykar. Being in a symbiotic relationship with the God of Chaos and Madness was no easy task. The Royal Council led by Mesyla’s father, King Jamos, ordered her to remain in Jasa to practice with her powers. She needed to immediately find a balance with the mad god and learn his language. 

Being in a symbiotic relationship with an Arlan God, well a piece of them, is a mutually beneficial relationship. The essences each Ascended Incarnate absorbs are what Arlans refer to as Yinars. Yinars, conscious living entities, come from a primitive part of each Gods’ psyche, their psychic energy, which happens to also contain their powers, language, memory, and urges. 

The Incarnates, serving as hosts, are responsible for keeping their Yinars stabilized. They work together. The Yinar offers guidance and power, while the Incarnate offers a body. But with Trykar, Mesyla had immediately learned that great power was earned…not given. 

And right now, Mesyla was beginning to want more. The visions and memories she inherited changed everything. Just like Queen Masara and King Zyian, her predecessors, she wanted to master Trykar’s Mirage Magic. And just like King Colo, she wanted to master Corporeal Chaos. But in order to do that, she knew she had to give the Yinar of Trykar what it wanted: gratification. Gratification in exchange for more power. 

At this moment, Mesyla was practicing on an unwilling, but necessary, victim— a young man named Bethal. He was her sixth victim of the day. The only thing she was told other than his name was that he wasn’t a good man. Mesyla didn’t protest. Instead, she promised the young man that it wouldn’t hurt. A lie. But she needed to practice. As she worked inside him, she entered his darkest memories and didn’t like what she saw. So today, she decided, was his last day as a sane man.

***

As the sun was officially clear of the skies. Mesyla decided to end her ‘session’ with the young man. When she removed her hands from his face, she noticed that the man’s eyes were empty of emotion, as if he really wasn’t there. But then he let out a high-pitched scream, prompting a very big guard to rush in and usher him out, as he was kicking and screaming. 

As Bethal was being ushered out, a young female servant entered. 

“You have a visitor, my princess.” She announced. The young servant stepped aside, allowing a young man to come into Mesyla’s view. 

The man was full of muscle, and had a smile that could light up Arla in its darkest nights. His bronze skin was home to several tattoos. When Mesyla saw his face, her eyes lit up with joy and a big smile stretched across his face. 

“It’s about time you showed up.” Mesyla smirked.
“My apologies.” The man remarked. 

Once they were alone, Mesyla skipped over to the man and placed her arms around him. The young man immediately embraced her back. Mesyla ran her fingers through his hair. Her best friend was finally home.

“I missed you, Talo. Sing me a song.” She begged. She could never get tired of his singing. At her request, the young man began singing Mesyla’s favorite song. A light that never emerges is impossible when you’re in my world.

As he sang to her, they slowly danced. At that very moment, Mesyla felt very safe. But little did she know her eyes were glowing gold. 

“Mesyla, your eyes.” The young man noticed. 

Mesyla immediately stepped out of his embrace and sprinted to the other side of the room. He was one of the few people she never wanted to hurt. 

“It’s Trykar.” She uttered.

The young man was now frowning. “What are you talking about, Mesyla?”  

Mesyla started to swing her arms back and forth….attempting to hold back the smile that was desperate to reveal itself.

“Trykar.” She revealed. “Can you not sense it?”
After a moment, Talo stiffened and finally saw the truth.  
“I missed a lot, I see.” He mumbled. 

Mesyla was now sitting on the edge of her bed. The young man had attempted to sit next to her, but Mesyla gently pushed him away.

“Your eyes then?” He inquired.
“Danger, Talo. They mean danger.”
“You want to hurt me then?”
Mesyla hesitated before answering, which Talo did not like.
“It’s not you. It’s Arra.” She insisted.
“Arra?”

Mesyla nodded.  “Trykar senses her within you.” 

Mesyla didn’t understand what was going on with her mind and body. Her insides felt both jittery and ravenous. While she was trying to understand what was going on,  Talo started to laugh. 

“What’s so funny?” She snapped.
”You were scared of hurting me.”  
“Is that what you’re really focusing on right now? I could have killed you. Trykar is strong.” She spat.

Talo shook his head and marched over to Mesyla, pulling her to her feet. He brushed the loose strands out of her face, placing them behind her ear.

“You’ll never hurt me.” He whispered, his lips dangerously close to hers.  
Mesyla shook her head.  
“Do you want to hurt me?” He asked.  
“Are you using your power on me, Talo?” She really didn’t like when he tried his tricks on her. Now her eyes were beginning to glow again. But so were Talo’s emerald eyes.

And then there they were, Mesyla, the Ascended Incarnate of Trykar and Talo, the Ascended Incarnate of Arra, in a standoff.

***

Mesyla was only nine when she met Talo and his family. Arla was in the midst of the annual Flower Summit, a two week seasonal event where the flowers rooted in Arla’s terrain rose and floated to the skies before bursting into stars. Mesyla had been searching for her father…determined to show him her artwork of what she had observed in the skies. The yellow daisies from the Meadows. The azul flowers that were only found in the Kingdom of the Isle.

After no luck in Majes Palace, Mesyla ventured farther down the path to Almaran Palace, the palace reserved for ceremonies and noble duties. Upon entering, she quickly ran through the halls and checked all of the rooms…waving to the guards as she did so. 

When she finally found her father, he was on the third floor, in a dimly lit room whispering with a man Mesyla had never seen before. They were engrossed in an intense conversation, as a woman and a smaller boy watched. 

Mesyla knew better than to eavesdrop, but she didn’t want to leave. She tried to be as quiet as she could, but then a crashing noise from downstairs startled her. The flat brush she was carrying with her then slipped from her hands, making a loud noise of its own. 

“Come out.” King Jamos commanded. 

Embarrassed, Mesyla walked into the room, head angled towards the floor. There, her father introduced her to King Barr, the Banished King of the West and his family. A wife called Ada, whose beauty was undeniable, and a son called Talo. She would find out later that night that he had already ascended, much earlier than expected, and was now blessed with the essence of the Goddess Arra. 

Later that night, he father would also explain to her how King Barr was captured in the early days of the Hallow War. But the Immortal King did not fear him nor his power. Instead of killing him and his family, he banished him, warning him of his death if he should return or attempt. King Losk, Mesyla’ grandfather, was a dear friend and allowed him sanctuary in his mountains. 

For the next decade, Talo, Mesyla, and her brother Xand became inseparable. Causing chaos wherever they went. And when Xand started to act strange, pushing both Talo and Mesyla away, it didn’t break their friendship. It only pushed Mesyla and Talo even closer. 

***

“I don’t need to use my powers on you, Mesyla Adabelle Dakari. Your truth is written on your face.” He teased, eyes no longer glowing. 

Mesyla placed her hands on her hips and rolled her eyes. Showing affection, especially to her friends, including her eldest friend, was not easy for her. Not anymore. Not since the accident. 

And it wouldn’t have been the first time he had used his power on her. But instead of arguing, she went over to her wardrobe and pulled out a scarf. An emerald green scarf made of velvet. 

“Here.” She mumbled. 

Talo carefully took the scarf in his hands, rubbing his hands gently across the delicate fabric. 

“What’s the occasion?” He asked.
“The Coronation Ceremonies.”  
“You expect me to wear this? It’s steaming hot outside, Mesyla.” 

Mesyla crossed her skinny arms and raised her eyebrows. “You have to wear this when the Outside comes in, Talo.”
Talo started laughing again.
“Mesyla, a scarf will not prevent the other Incarnates from sniffing me out.”Then Mesyla started to laugh. 

“Trust me.” She insisted. 
“What did you do?” He asked, voice low and arms crossed over his chest. “Learning the language of Trykar has come fairly easy to me.” She responded. But Talo was not pleased with her answer.
“Tell me.” He urged, trying to sound intimidating. He never succeeded. “Fine.” She snorted. 

Stomping over to her wardrobe, Mesyla placed her hand in the top drawer, searching for something. When she found what she was looking for, she marched back to Talo and revealed a stone.

“Tell me, what color is this stone?”  

“Red.” He answered quickly.

“It’s black, actually.”

“Mesyla.”

“Talo.”

“Mesyla.”

Talo was confused. He didn’t know if this was one of her games she was trying to play or something else was afoot. Puzzled, he grabbed the stone and took a closer look. 

“Look at it again. See the stone’s truth.” Mesyla whispered. Accepting the challenge, Talo’s eyes began to glow again. 

“You’re right.” He said. “It is black.”  
“I told you. I’m a fast learner.”  

Talo handed her back the stone and Mesyla returned it to the top drawer wardrobe before picking up a brush to comb her hair. 

“Just like the stone, the scarf casts an illusion. People will not see you, but someone else.” She explained.
“How long does it last?”
“Until the coronation ceremonies are complete.”

Talo nodded. A look of approval visibly seen on his face. “I’m impressed. Arra is too. You’re pretty advanced.”

Mesyla shrugged.

“Now, Talo. Tell me where you have been and why you abandoned me.” She requested, a hint of hurt in her voice. Mesyla had been slightly hurt that her best friend wasn’t there with her during her monumental transformation. The last time they saw each other, they had another fight about Jaho. 

“I have news.” Talo announced.
“Go on.”
“I’m going home.” 

The declaration made Mesyla drop the brush she was using to brush her hair. She slowly turned towards her friend, away from the mirror she was standing in front of.

“And I have seen the truth, my love.” He continued. 
“What truth?”
“One heart that lives forever, but can live in many.”  
Mesyla tilted her head quizzically, as a look of confusion crossed her face. 

“The Immortal King will die.” He declared. 

To be continued

0