Chapter 13: Coronation Ceremonies Part III
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, Mesyla was pulled out of her sleep by the sound of glass shattering. As soon as she heard, she raced downstairs in her robe, where she found a servant standing over a mess of her favorite bowls on the ground.

“I’m sorry.” The servant cried. “Your cat ran across the room and it scared me.”

“It? Their names are Ges and Yla.” Mesyla corrected.

The servant lowered her gaze. “I’m sorry, I—”

Mesyla held up her hand. “Where’s Gin?”

“In the kitchen…I’m really sorry, I’ll—”

But before the servant could finish her sentence, Mesyla had already walked away.

***

When Mesyla entered the kitchen, she found Gin on a ladder, searching for something on top of the cabinets.

“What are you looking for?”

“The 7th elixirs.” Gin mumbled. Fertility elixirs.

Mesyla took a seat at the table. “Well, we don’t need those anytime soon.. I’m hungry.”

“I’ll be down in a minute, Mesyla.” Gin huffed. “Shouldn’t you be getting ready for the games?”

“Are you trying to get rid of me?”

“Aha. I found them.” Gin shouted, while raising two bottles of blue liquid in the air.

“Great.” Mesyla responded blandly.

“And no, I’m not trying to get rid of you.” Gin clarified. “Your father will be here soon.”

Mesyla raised her eyebrows. “How soon? Talo isn’t back yet.”
Talo had left a note that he needed to go see someone outside of Reņt.

“He’s on his way right now.” She answered.

Mesyla bolted out of the room. She needed to get dressed in a hurry. Today was the day of the Coronation Games, the 3rd event of the Coronation Ceremonies. Held on a cliff, people from around Arla are welcome to attend and watch. These games served two functions. One, to display the strength of the Mountain Army. And two, the presentation of the White Armor to the new Sovereign Crown—officially transferring them the power and title of Commander.

Mesyla had decided on her costume for this event ages ago. A long, white high waisted wool skirt and a shawl embroidered with gold flowers that was draped diagonally across her bare chest.

After she finished getting her dress, she made her way downstairs and found her father already waiting. But he wasn’t alone. Tyanna, a General of the Mountain Army, was standing next to him. Green eyes and a face skin covered with freckles, Mesyla thought she was stunning.

“Your Highness.” Tyanna greeted.

“Tyanna!” Mesyla beamed. “It’s always nice to see you.”

Mesyla wanted to pull her into a hug, but she also didn’t want to mess up the shawl. So she stayed at a distance.

“Tyanna will be accompanying us today.” Jamos announced. “She’ll be presenting the White Armor.”

Mesyla clasped her hands together. “Well then…let’s get going.”

***

The Coronation Games went exactly as expected. Very bloody. The best and worst Mountain fighters fought til near death until the sun began to set.

Unlike the Formal Ball, those in attendance were mostly Insiders—permanent residents of the Mountains. An hour into the games, Talo arrived. He was very giddy…much giddier than usual. Mesyla made a note to ask him about his whereabouts later.

After the final fight, Mesyla was called to the center stage. It was her first appearance in front of Insiders, her future subjects, in ages. There, General Tyanna presented her with the White Armor….formally initiating her as Commander and as a member of the Royal Council—the political and military group of the Mountains. The crowd threw roses at her feet and cheered as loudly as they could. Mesyla took several laps, basking in their approval.

Afterwards, Mesyla, her father, and Talo went back to Majes Palace to enjoy a quiet dinner. Instead of heading back to Jasa after, Mesyla and Talo decided to stay in the extra bedrooms. Unfortunately for Mesyla, she didn’t get the chance to interrogate Talo. When she went to check on him down the hall, he was already snoring.

***

The next morning, after breakfast, Mesyla made her way back to Jasa to get ready for The Anointing—the fourth coronation event. A private event held by the departing crown and the Royal Council, The Anointing serves only one purpose: formally swearing Mesyla as Queen and presenting her with the Emerald Amulet—the amulet that will allow her to shapeshift into anything. As tradition, only family and close friends are invited to attend.

As soon as breakfast was over, Jamos told her to go change into a long sleeved white dress and meet him at Almaran Palace. When she finally arrived, the caretaker informed her that her father was waiting for her in the second room on the third floor. When she entered, she saw everyone was already there. In the center, her father and the Royal Council were standing in their traditional attire. To the right of them, Talo, Gin, and Robere were standing. And to the left, her Aunt Danar was standing with Mesyla’s other close friends: Mara and Pearla.

As soon as she saw Mara and Pearla, she ran towards them and pulled them both into a hug.

“Mara! Pearla!” She screamed. “It’s been weeks.”

“We missed you!” Pearla said.

“We kept coming by but they told us we had to wait.” Mara added.

Mesyla whipped her head in the direction of her father.

Jamos raised both of his hands. “I did let you see Talo, didn’t I? It was for everyone’s protection.”

Mesyla rolled her eyes playfully and turned back to her friends. She gave them another hug before making her way towards her aunt. She hadn’t seen Danar in months.

“Aunt Danar.” She squealed.

Danar grabbed Mesyla by her shoulders and pulled her into a hug.

“I missed you.” Danar gushed.

“I missed you too.”

When Danar pulled back, she placed her left hand under Mesyla’s chin and raised it. “Let me see your eyes.”

“Sister.” Jamos groaned. “We’re not here for that. We have more important matters.”

“Fine.” Danar huffed. “We’ll talk later.”

Danar let go of Mesyla’s chin and winked at her before gently turning her in the direction of her father.

When they made eye contact, Jamos motioned for her to sit. Mesyla obeyed.

“Are you ready?” He asked.

Mesyla nodded.

Jamos turned his attention to Gin and waved her over to them. She was carrying a small box carrying the amulet. Jamos carefully removed the delicate piece and clasped it around his daughter’s neck. Once he was done, he instructed Mesyla to stand and recite the lines on the Iris Page he was holding,

I am Mesyla Adabelle Dakari.
I am the daughter of Jamos.
I am a direct descendant of Betasi.
I am Trykar.
I am my People.

I choose not myself,
but Trykar and the People.
As Commander,
I will perform for Trykar
and my People.

As the sun rises,
as the sun sets,
it is I,
Chaos,
who roams free.

As light radiates,
as darkness devours,
it is I,
who rules His Mountains, Above All, and Over All.

Queen Mesyla Adabelle Dakari,

I am.

Once she was done, Mesyla looked up to her father. He rolled up the paper, placed it under his arm, and reached for Mesyla’s hands.

“All Praise the Queen!” He declared loudly

“All Praise the Queen!” Everyone repeated.

Mesyla was immediately swarmed by her friends and Aunt Danar. Each giving her a long hug. When her friends finally freed her from their grasps, the Royal Council followed suit.

 

Johren, the youngest man on the council, gave her a small hug and whispered in her ear, “May Chaos rebuild Arla into His Image.” When Mesyla pulled back, he winked at her before letting her go. Mesyla was taken aback. She didn’t know ardent Trykaran supporters still sat on the Royal Council—a faction of Arlans desperate for total conquest. But another member of the council had enveloped her into a hug before she could fully react.

After the final congratulations, spoken by an elderly gentleman, Mesyla turned to everyone and shouted “Let’s feast.”

***

After the feast was over, Mesula said goodbye to everyone and went back to Jasa with Talo, Robere, and Gin following. Usually, Talo slept in a small residence on the edge of Reņt. But tonight, Mesyla didn’t want to be alone. When they arrived, they both changed into white robes. Tomorrow was a big day…her first official day as queen. And it all kicked off with The Crowning, the last Coronation Ceremony event held in Almaran Palace, where Mesyla was set to be publicly crowned in front of the other Arlan royals, the Kings and Queens of the other Arlan Kingdoms, and residents of the Mountains.

After they changed, Mesyla asked Talo to stay with her in her room.

“Are you sure?” Talo asked.

“Why not? It won’t be the first time.” She laughed.

Talo reached for the covers and made himself comfortable. As he waited, Mesyla removed the hair pins from her hair. As she did, she noticed one of the hair pins was red.

“Where did this come from?” She mumbled.

“Did you say something?” Talo asked. He was lying on his back, eyes closed.

“Talo, look! It’s red.” She shouted, while holding the pin towards Talo.

Talo opened his eyes and turned his body in her direction. “I see. Is something wrong?”

“Talo, I didn’t put this in my hair. I would never wear red with white. Where did this come from?” She rushed out.

Talo shrugged. “Maybe you forgot….Who else could have put it there?”

Mesyla grunted. “Maybe you’re right.” But deep down, Mesyla didn’t believe it. She knew she would never wear red unless she was dressed in red or gold, she was very particular about her appearance.

After she was done removing the rest, she climbed into bed and into Talo’s arms.

“I can’t believe I’m sleeping with the Queen.” Talo joked.

Mesyla elbowed him in the stomach.

“Ouch.”

“Jaho would take your hands if you saw you here.” Mesyla taunted.

After a long minute of silence, Talo whispered into her hair, “He had his chance.”

Mesyla’s heart skipped a beat.

“I will never forgive you…..never forget that.” She whispered back.

“You already have, Mesyla.” Talo murmured back. “Goodnight, my Queen.”

***

The next morning, as soon as she opened her eyes, Mesyla was on cloud nine. Today was the day. All of the palaces were bustling. In Jasa, in particular, Mesyla was in her bedroom with seven other servants. Three were working on her hair. Two were working on her face. One was there to serve food and drinks. And then there was Gin… who was helping Mesyla put on her attire….a gold off the shoulder dress with long sheer sleeves that had hints of blue peeking through. Gin had just finished placing the heavy gold plated shawl on her shoulders.

“It’s not too heavy, is it?” Gin asked.

“It’s fine.” Mesyla assured.

“Let’s go ahead and remove the hair pins then.”

Mesyla nodded. Originally, she was going to wear her hair in an updo. But at the last minute, she decided to let her curls loose. Gin had only a couple of pins left to remove when a knock was heard.

“Come.” Mesyla yelled.

Robere entered. “Your Majesty. You have a visitor.”

Mesyla frowned. “Who is it?”

“The Queen of the Meadows….Rosar.”

“Rosar?” Gin and Mesyla asked at the same time.

Robere nodded.

Mesyla rubbed her forehead.

“Why is she here?” Gin asked.

“She didn’t say.” Robere answered slowly.

“Just send her up.” Mesyla ordered. “She better have a good reason why she’s here and not already at Almaran.”

As Robere departed, Mesyla ordered everyone else to follow. While she waited, she removed the last pins from her hair. She had just found the last one when Robere returned with Rosar. She was wearing a white strapless fitted bodice dress.
“You look stunning!” Mesyla said to Rosar as she entered.

“Not as stunning as you.”

A hint of pink reached Mesyla’s cheeks.

“Rosaaarrr.” Mesyla sang. “You picked a great time to come see me.”

Rosar walked past Mesyla and took a seat on the cream settee. “I needed to see the Queen alone….given that today is the second to last day that you’ll see me.”

Mesyla’s hands flew to her face. Her eyes widened in disbelief. She rushed over and took a seat next to her, placing her left hand over her knee.

“Whhaatt?” Mesyla stuttered. “Are you in danger? Do you need help?”

Rosar smiled and placed her hand on top of the Mesyla’s hand. “My daughter will succeed me soon…it’s time. But I’m not here to talk about me.”

“You just said—”

“I know what I said.” Rosar interrupted.

Mesyla crossed her arms. “Why are you here then? If not for help.”

“I’m here to collect my favor.”

Mesyla bursted into laughter. “Are you serious? Now?”

Rosar nodded.

“Well, what is it? What’s so important?”

“I’m here to tell you that you must betray the Desert.”

Mesyla jumped from the settee. “What are you talking about?” Instead of easing Mesyla into this, Rosar just cut to the chase and told her the truth.

“At the next delegation meeting…months from now…there will be a vote on the Desert’s charges. You must vote against and bring forth the dissolution of the Desert’s King’s hold on the region.”

Mesyla’s jaw dropped. Rosar was asking her to betray the Desert. Jaho.

“You’re joking.” Mesyla stuttered.

 

Rosar shook her head. “I’m afraid I’m not.”

Mesyla began pacing the room as Rosar watched.

“Full scale war is inevitable, Mesyla. War is seen in every direction the winds take. Nothing will prevent this. But if you want Talo to survive, you must see this through.” She added.

Mesyla immediately stopped pacing. “What?”

“And I know of your love for Jaho, Mesyla. I know this will hurt him.”

“Don’t.” Mesyla responded coldly.

“But I also know of your love for Talo.”

Mesyla’s breath hitched.

“What does my relationship with Talo have to do with this?” Mesyla snapped. “What have you seen?”

Rosar was no longer directly looking at Mesyla. Instead, her face was turned towards the window.

“If you vote for the Desert, you will put Talo on a path to be betrayed and executed…a year from now.”

Mesyla’s mouth went slack.

“I’m sorry, Mesyla.”

The room went completely silent. Mesyla thought the room was spinning. She needed to sit, but she couldn’t move her feet.

“You are lying.” Mesyla whispered.

“I’m not.” Rosar refuted.

“I don’t understand what Talo has to do with the Desert and this vote. He is the rightful king to the Western Meadows not the Desert.” Mesyla rushed out.

“I have only seen what I’ve seen. I’m not fate, Mesyla. Diné is All-Seeing…not destiny.” She explained. “And in this war, it is important for you to choose the right side.”

“But I will lose the Desert with this vote….and if this is about Talo, he will never work with the Meadows. He will never work with your King.”

Rosar started to smile. “Which leaves….”

It took Mesyla a minute to understand.

“The Isle.”

Rosar nodded.

“In this war, I must side with the Isle?! Our kingdoms have rarely gotten along.”

“In time, you will. If you want to win this war….if you care about Talo…”

Mesyla was frowning. “Four Incarnates against two don’t seem fair exactly. Why do I have the feeling you’re not telling me something I should know about this war?”

“Everything you think you know now will be undone months from today.” Rosar revealed.

“Why are you telling me this? Why do you want me to win? If I vote against Jaho and his family, I will lose him forever.”

“Or you’ll lose Talo…forever.” Rosar countered.

“Why are you telling me this? Why place this burden upon me?”

Rosar rose from her seat and marched towards Mesyla. She placed her palm on Mesyla’s right cheek and whispered closely to her face,

“My mother chose you. She died, because she believed in you. You are the most powerful being Arla has seen since the Gods. A drifter with the power of Trykar and ranking as queen. It is you who will come to understand what must be done for Arla…and do what must be done.”

Mesyla took a step back from Rosar. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. But the only thing that she was concerned about now.. was Talo.

“Just tell me who kills Talo.” Mesyla whispered back. “I can’t prevent this.”

“I’m afraid, I cannot….but I can tell you one thing.”

“What?”

“You’re going to need him… to undo the damage you both will cause.”

Mesyla stepped back from Rosar’s hand.

“Talo? He is a truth teller. A detector of deception.”

A full smile broke across Rosar’s face. “In time, it’ll make sense. In time, you’ll see why Arra rarely left her kingdom.”

Mesyla let out a huge groan. “Rosar, you’re not giving me anything.”

“I have, actually.”

“Is it my vote that starts this war? Can you just tell me that?”

“My child, war has been brewing since the very day it ended…. over forty years ago. Recovering from Shioban’s mistake has been merely a distraction.”

Mesyla tilted her head.

“Does anyone else know?”

“About this?”

Mesyla nodded.

“No.” Rosar confirmed. “I know a lot of this doesn’t make sense, but if you follow this path I’ve laid out for you….it’ll make sense in the end.”

“How am I supposed to know this has all been a lie?”

“Did I lie about your brother?”

Mesyla shook her head.

She took a deep breath before walking back towards Rosar. When she stopped in front of her, she took one long look before saying what she had wanted to say seven years ago, “If this had been all a lie, just know, your line will end with me.”

“Well, I’m not going to worry about that.” Rosar grinned. “You’ll make the right choice. I believe in you. Your love for Talo couldn’t have been made any more clearer with that cloak.”

Mesyla’s eyes widened. Rosar had been spying on her.

“Yes, I did see.” Rosar confirmed. “And your father is right.”

“About?”

“Talo is a good choice.” She answered. “I should go now. Everyone’s waiting for the queen.”

But before Rosar exited, she turned back to Mesyla and said,

“You should get to know Jaho’s fiancé.”

Mesyla whipped her head in the direction of Rosar.

“Feraë? ”

Rosar nodded.

“Why?”

“Well that’s for you to find out.”

And then Rosar left the room…leaving Mesyla to finish getting ready for the event.

***

A minute after Rosar left, Mesyla was rejoined by her servants to help put the final touches on her look. Afterwards, she made her way to Almaran where everyone was waiting for her. As soon as she arrived, her father greeted her and instructed her to wait at the back until she heard the bell…like they had rehearsed.

She was waiting there when she was joined by a familiar face. Emmar, the Ascended Incarnate of Desire and Pariesa of the Isle.

“You look stunning.” She professed.

“Thank you, Emmar. Shouldn’t you be inside?”

“I wanted to see you before the event.

Oh no. Mesyla thought to herself.

“I just wanted to tell you that I hope we become great allies.” She began. “Separationists are growing strong in the South.”

“And let me guess… you want my vote if something was to go wrong?” Mesyla interrupted.

“Our kingdoms have rarely been on the same page. I want to change that, Mesyla.” Emmar said softly.

Mesyla thought about what Rosar said. She hadn’t fully processed what Rosar told her but she knew it wouldn’t hurt to start working on an alliance. So she said, “I would love that.”

“Great!” Emmar beamed. “We’ll talk soon.”

Once Emmar was out of sight, Mesyla rubbed her hands over her face and took a deep breath. After a couple of minutes waiting, the bell began ringing and the doors opened. It was time.

Once the doors fully opened, all eyes immediately landed upon Mesyla. She slowly made her way down the aisle that was adorned with a golden rug. As she did, she couldn’t help but think about how she had already made a decision…how she knew she would always look back at this day…not only as a day where she was crowned…but the day she decided to betray the one she thought she could never betray. When she finally reached the throne chair, her father placed the serpent encrusted crown upon her head before turning his attention towards the crowd.

“I present to you, Mesyla Adabelle Dakari, Queen of the Kingdom of Trykar, his Mountains, and Above All.” He announced. “The Sea Green Queen.”

Mesyla then stunned the crowd by transforming into a sea green hummingbird…signifying the beginning of a new era.

0