Chapter 2: First Night
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The drive was excruciatingly silent. Charlene drove forward, the screaming of undead echoed behind them and Charlene couldn't take it anymore. She snapped her hand up and turned the radio on but she didn't hear a thing.

Her gaze squinted briefly and she spun the volume dial all the way up but all they heard was soft static, Charlene's heart sunk deeper in her chest, deeper than before which she didn't even think it was possible.

Ember's eyes went wide, her hands scrambled down to her pockets until she pulled out her phone and flipped it open, it didn't even take a minute before she clicked on Jake's contact and pushed it to her ear.

Her nails tapped against her lips. Eyes wandering aimlessly around as if she would find him suddenly in front of her. Her brows came together in worry when she heard nothing, not even a dial tone. She looked up anxiously and ran her gaze across the rest of the passengers.

Charlene had a white knuckled grip on the wheel, her chest was heaving and with one look at her expression Ember could tell she was somewhere else, stuck in her thoughts.

Creed guided her, trying to calm her down he was stretched over and talking gently, with one hand on the steering wheel helping to keep the car straight.

Then the three teens were huddled close and comforting one another, Zeke was crying, burying his face in Priscilla's shoulder with his other arm tightly wrapped around Ewell's waist keeping them both close. Priscilla gently rubbed Zeke's head petting along his shaggy black hair trying to ease him, his fingers squeezed her plush skin and she winced but kept her smile, trying to stay strong. Her plump lips trembled trying to keep the grin on her face but Ember saw her teeth grate against themselves, the bright whites of her teeth ran along her dark skin in a worried drag.

Ewell shook like there was an earth quake. Held in both of their arms.

“What happened?” Ember looked forward and out of the windshield. Phone dropping to her side.

They were nearing the main road and Ember saw more cars, they were slick expensive looking cars, shiny black metal with dark tinted glass, near identical two of them flew by them well above the legal limit, then they all heard it before they saw it. A sound unlike anything they'd heard before broke through the drowning screams behind them, it was deep, gruff, huffing as a roar cut above the Veriyn growls that beat against the back of the hatchback.

It cut them to their core and it enlisted such a pure animistic fear in Charlene she slammed the brakes with the heel of her boot, the hatchback screeched and came to a sudden stop jostling the people inside, other than a forced yelp no one made a noise, frozen and alert they were dumbstruck.

Then for a brief second they saw it, a massive figure larger than those black cars ran past the road with such speed the fleeting moment they saw it they could barley make it out, four legs and fast, a brief glimpse of blood matted fur and floral bunches covered its skeletal body, then they blinked and it was gone. The sound of Its roars fading as it gave chase further into the city.

They stared forward. Until Priscilla heard a crack, loud enough to break her fears and she turned to see one infected, a women pressed her broken face against the trunk window, her curled fist was wrapped in roots as she slammed it back against the glass cracking it under the hard wood and bone, Priscilla couldn't speak, she was too scared to make a noise so she shook Zeke and pointed which drew his and Ember's attention.

“Shit!” Ember exclaimed before throwing herself into the back of Charlene's chair and shouted “Drive!” she demanded pointing forward to the now empty street.

Charlene hardly had time to process what she said and her foot slammed down before she even thought, sending the car veering forward and to the right, away from where that massive beast ran, she went on as a Ember added “Get me back to Jake!” with a shake to the head rest.

The hatchback sped forward, dodging the infected that meandered after the beast like ducklings. Charlene drove remarkably well despite her shaken state, Creed's hand held her shoulder gently rubbing her but his wide eyes were locked on the road, the main street was much worse, dozens of cars were crashed and totaled, blood stained the shattered glass and open doors but the bodies of those attacked got back up, they became the attackers and went after the rest of the people. Now, seeing the aftermath of the brutal wave that was this sudden virus, curse, magic, so many different theories ran through their minds and through the media but contact was cut, phones buzzed and radios went silent, there was evidence of it all around them, the city they knew looked completely different, bustling streets of busy people gone and the lively buildings usually teeming with customers were broken and empty.

Southern Pool: the city that never stops, was silent.

Charlene took another turn and they could see the apartment building again. Ember stared at it with one thought in her mind and it was of her boyfriend Jake. She just wanted to see him.

Then a voice broke the tense silence “What was that?” Priscilla asked. Her voice rung hollowly from her dry throat as she looked between Zeke and their driver.

Priscilla leaned back trying to calm herself down, give herself room to breathe, while Zeke pulled Ewell into the space she created and Ewell crumbled into a shaking ball on his lap.

“I don't know.” Creed replied instinctively, no emotion in his tone.

They avoided the few strays on the road and drove around the edge back to the parking lot, they saw a few of the infected from the roof still clawed towards them, dragging their now useless lower halves after the vehicle.

They entered the gate and drove right up to the door. Jake was the first one out and Ember ran to him.

They quickly embraced before waving the rest of them out, the Day family was followed by Monet who slammed the door behind her.

Everyone but Charlene was out of the car now, Creed dashed to the trunk and threw it open while Phil demanded to know what was going on.

“Bill's car seat!” Debra cried.

Zeke ushered Steve into the car while the other discussed seating, Debra went to clip his seat belt while Zeke pulled back to check on his friends.

They all had gathered around the trunk looking back and forth between each other, the tension rose immediately and Creed exhaled deeply, he shook his head but Jake spoke up first.

“Look, I got the keys to my bike I'll follow behind you guys.” Jake said with a look between the group.

“Not without me you aren't.” Ember interjected stepping over to him “We'll ride together,” she said before doing a quick head count of the group “You got ten, we got two.” Ember said taking in a deep, calming breath “We'll follow you to the zone, just make sure you clear a path for us.” before she patted Jake's chest and the two trotted forward, towards the back end of the parking lot but not before Ember let Charlene in on the plan.

“Debra you and the kids take the middle, we can go in the trunk.” Creed said with a quick wave but Phil huffed in protest. Debra nodded and carried Bill towards the middle door, the teens close behind looking back and forth between each other.

They heard a motorcycle rev nearby and Creed looked over at Monet “If Debra's in the middle you take the front with Charlene-” Creed was suddenly cut off by Phil who took a step forward aggressively “Let me drive.” he demanded as Debra led Priscilla to the middle seat, she clipped her as she heard him speak.

Monet kept her head down, twirling her long brown ponytail around her index finger nervously. She looked up at Creed then back down to their shoes, she didn't know what to do and stood still instead.

Zeke looked back at them with an awkward pout but before he could speak up Creed scoffed. Rolling his eyes in exasperation “Charlene's driving.” Creed assured. He waved his hand dismissively and turned back to the truck, it was wide open and empty, Creed knew it would be with how particular Charlene is about her car.

Phil sneered and turned away from him, he went around the side of the hatchback but was stopped, Debra was in front of him with both Zeke and Ewell at either of her sides, Bill was sat beside Priscilla with his legs hanging out of the side of the car.

Phil paused. He looked at the two younger boys with a scolding glare, Zeke frowned and Ewell flinched, without even realizing it Debra put her hand on the Draconic boy's shoulder “Phil just shut up and listen to them before you get us all killed.” she snapped in anger, fingers twitching gently against Ewell's loose sweater.

Phil's mouth flapped uselessly as he failed to stammer up a defense. Monet walked past him pretending she wasn't listening and opened the passenger's side door, she smiled sheepishly and leaned forward to give Charlene a side hug “T-Thank you.” she ghosted, voice so shaky Charlene barely heard her over the minute hum of the engine.

“I told you I'd always be there for you.” Charlene replied as the two leaned back, they shared shaky smiles before looking towards the parking lot, a brightly painted custom cruiser biker drove up with Jake as the driver and Ember pressed against his back, he stopped the motorcycle a few feet from the driver's window and nodded at Charlene who smiled at the sight of them.

Creed peeked over feeling an intensity in the air and saw Debra looking angry, tired, but angry. Phil brought his hand to his face and grumbled something under his breath before he shook his head “So we sit in the trunk?” he asked, surrendering.

“I doubt anyone is going to pull us over.” Creed remarked trying to lighten the mood “Now come on, we need to get out of here, Zeke, and, um, Ewell was it? Us four can be in the back.” he said waving them over, Zeke pat Ewell's arm to urge him along and Debra secured herself and Bill safely as she could in one seat, her arms wrapping around him and stroking his hair.

The two climbed in first after Creed waved them in and Phil begrudgingly followed. Creed shut the door and Charlene called out “Everyone in?” to which both Creed and Debra replied, nearly at the same time, “Yes!” and Charlene went on. Waving at Jake through her window she moved towards the gate, her spine shivered when she saw crawling bodies dragging themselves down the side walk and towards the open gate.

They were slow but the way they groaned, garbled and moaned, it made her sick.

She kept her focus on the road as quiet conversations began to fill the silence left by the low static of the radio.

Priscilla leaned back around and managed to give everyone a better once over before she gave a more scrutinizing look at the four in the trunk, her gaze shifting between Creed and Zeke with a nervous glare “Um, thanks, thank you for saving us.” she said before falling back to Zeke smiling a small and familiar smile “Thank you,” then she shifted again, a bit more downcast “I, I don't know what happened everyone just started freaking out. Grandma was acting weird so I went to Ewell's but his uncle went crazy. This is that, what is it curse? From Ysyvanor isn't it? This is their doing?” her voice came faster this time, nervous “Is the whole city sick?” she finished.

“We're not.” Zeke shook his head.

A quiet voice came hollowly next, beside Zeke, soft spoken Ewell's words almost didn't make it to Creed's ears but he gave quick gratitude “Thank you sirs.” while bowing his head.

Creed smiled at Ewell despite him staring down at his own lap “I'm glad we all got out of there safely.” Creed said before glancing out of the back window, the cracked glass caught glares that made it somewhat difficult but he managed to make out the motorcycle still trailing behind them, satisfied he looked back to the three teens “Um, I'm Creed. This the Day family Phil, Debra, Steve, and Bill-” before he continued Priscilla smiled and ruffled Bill's hair causing him to pause. Phil's face scrunched.

“I've babysat Bill a few times with Zeke.” she replied before looking back to him “He's a good kid.”

Creed nodded “Well our driver is the beautiful Charlene, and her best friend Monet is there in the passenger's seat.” he finished and Priscilla tried to look positive.

“I'm Priscilla, um, nice to meet you. Thank you again.” she said as her voice came a bit lighter “That's Ewell, he doesn't talk much but we'll all do our best to help out.” she said as Ewell nodded, his messy hair tangled around his thin horns haphazardly.

“You're so sweet.” Charlene said from the front seat “Hopefully you won't have to do anything. It'll be a quick drive and we'll be at the evacuation point.” she said to ease the air.

Monet was sat despondent beside her, eyes distant and staring at the glove box in front of her.

Debra looked up from Steve and to Charlene “It's going to get dark soon, is it safe to drive at night?”

Phil snapped before Charlene had a chance to reply “What else are we going to do?” he rose his arms and Ewell flinched at the sudden movement “We drive around at night we'll be a beacon.” before he swapped his attention to the others with a frown “All those things will be on us the second we turn the headlights on. Or the soldiers could mistake us for something else in the dark a take a shot at us,” he was looking towards the front of the car as Zeke wrapped and arm around Ewell to calm him down “We should find a place to rest and get there in the morning.” Phil added with a tone of finality, as if he was accepting no question but Creed wasn't one to let his opinion go unheard.

Creed cocked his brow “Are you sure that's a good idea?” he asked skeptically.

You haven't listened to a damned thing I've said all day!” he shouted glaring towards Creed.

Look I'm not trying to be a dick here.”

Well you're doing a great job.”

Hey no need to be nasty.”

Please, I think it's a good idea. The boys need sleep, today, today was rough on them. On all of us.” Debra interjected holding the sleeping Bill in her arms. She was looking at the rear view mirror hoping to catch Charlene's eye and by the sigh their driver gave she saw her tired, pleading look, and gave in.

I don't know what's safe, or even where to go. All I know is we're going East towards evac.” Charlene spoke.

I doubt any hotels are open.” Zeke murmured.

The whole city crashed down in just a few hours there isn't going to be a hotel.” Phil rolled his eyes and looked down at his lap, running his hand across his head as he sighed deeply.

That's what I just said.” Zeke grumbled in annoyance but he went mostly ignored.

Priscilla was glancing between all of the passengers now, she had a growing look of concern on her face but struggled to keep it down “Where should we go then?” she asked awkwardly before turning to sit normally in her seat, folding her hands on her lap “We can't go to my house, or Ewell's, or Zeke's...” her voice trailed sadly and Debra put a hand on her leg after giving her a warm smile which she tried to return.

Debra spoke up again watching the streets roll by in front of them “Maybe we should drive a bit longer, closer to night fall, to evac, then we find someplace?” she asked trying to make eye contact with Charlene but she wasn't able to. Charlene's attention was locked on the road as she went on as safely as she could with the all the obstacles, moving and unmoving.

It's going to take half a day to get to evac. That's us being safe and slow.” Charlene replied not once looking up “We'll try and get closer. That sound good Creed?” she asked speaking louder to call out to him.

Creed nodded “Yeah, I guess so.” he replied watching her in the rear view mirror, watching her eyes dart across the road looking at any movement. “It's going to be a bit of a drive then, guess we'll get to know each other.” he said with a light chuckle, Creed then looked back to the three he didn't know as well, the teens, sure Creed knew Zeke as well as he knew the Day's, a wave in the hall or listening to Zeke rant in the elevator about his school day, the other two he's never met.

Creed looked over to Ewell, his head was still down so Creed grinned at Zeke and glanced to Priscilla “So, I was a delivery man, I like video games and throwing darts. How about you?” he said looking across the group.

Phil grumbled something under his breath but the other elected to ignore him, Debra spoke up first, almost to cover up Phil's insult “I work at the grocery store when I'm not taking care of these two angels, and Phil's an office worker at Barningtonnes.”

Charlene let out a titter, trying to ignore the world burning around her “Me and Monet are waitresses.”

Were. It's not like we have anything to go back to.” Phil snapped picking at his wrist cuff.

Phil.” Debra snapped.

What? What Debra?” Phil snapped in anger glaring at the back oh her head “Look around, everything is fucked Debra, stop pretending it's not, we don't have jobs to go back to. Our apartment is filled with blood and dead people what kind of fantasy world are you all living in?” Phil exploded in anger, shouting and waving an arm, Zeke pulled Ewell closer, away from Phil as he continued “I told you we should have evacuated days ago! When the first fucking infection was discovered, we would be fine but you wouldn't leave your bitch mother-” before he could go on Creed shouted “Hey!” and shut Phil up with a sneer.

No reason to upset everyone!” Creed yelled back frowning in a mix of anger and disappointment “You're a grown man stop scaring the kids!” Creed added, noticing how Zeke kept inching away closer to the back seat. Phil jerked his arm and Ewell ducked awkwardly.

Like you know what's going on!” Phil retorted.

I never said I knew a damn thing.”

Knock it off!” Charlene shouted “I will stop the car right now until you two stop your bickering, Phil calm down, we all know the city is screwed but we're trying to keep on alright? So suck it up, your kids are handling this better than you are.” she shouted in frustration, voice breaking with her high pitch.

Phil's eye twitched, his expression somewhere between bewildered and offended.

The car fell silent and Charlene kept driving. Creed looked back and saw Ember and Jake still following behind them, none the wiser.

Then, after a few short moments, Monet who was still acting mousy piped up, her expression was distant and her voice brought no confidence but she said it anyway “What about the school?” while tilting her head slightly to Charlene.

The school?” she parroted, then she slapped the steering wheel “The school!” she exclaimed. She smiled at Monet before looking back to the road “Eastway High, that's where they first had people wait for evacuation,” she explained with a quick glance to the rear view mirror to look over those in the back “Maybe they left something, instructions, supplies, anything. Or, at least it'll be a safe place to sleep for the night.” she ended proudly.

The group behind her all gave various glances to each other but no one spoke up. Charlene huffed, with a shake of her head she asked “Anyone got a better idea?” and when no one replied she decided. To the school.

She knew it wouldn't be the longest drive of her life, nor the shortest, they had some time until nightfall, which, if she kept at their current pace, they'd get there a bit before sundown.

Charlene decided that's what she'd do.

They remained relatively quiet. Awkward glances shared between them but they settled into a near silent drive.

Traversing the city wasn't difficult for her, Charlene was able to get around even during high traffic and even managed to squeeze herself around in rush hour back when the city was alive.

While they drove they tried their best to ignore the infected that lunged at them, Charlene tried harder to ignore the ones she ran down. She was worried for the bikers behind her, they hadn't seen many, a handful here and there and they managed to avoid most of them well enough, they felt their hearts in their throats every minute that passed.

But they kept on.

There!” Monet exclaimed, brightening up as the large rectangle building came into view.


They saw the wide sports field first, a variety of gear was set out but most of it had been put away or moved for the military tents that now covered the grass.

The place looked still, the parking lot was empty, almost.

Monet perked up, looking over at two cars that were parked carelessly near the door. Her head tilted, giving a fleeting glance to Charlene but she didn't feel confident enough to make her claim, she swore they saw those sleek black luxury cars earlier.

She pulled up to the front of the school, past sandbags and left behind military vehicles, and right to the front door.

Charlene stepped out right as Jake and Ember pulled up beside her, she greeted them with a smile “Figure here's better than the car.” she said happily.

Good idea, pretty much a straight shot from here to the highway. We'll get to evac no problem tomorrow.” Jake replied sharing in her good mood, or trying to, the dread of the days events still fresh in their minds.

He looked around the desolate lot with a scratch of his head “We should head in before anything sees us.” he said as the trunk of her hatchback popped open.

Phil was the first out, pushing past Creed he quickly went to the side of the car to help Debra out, taking Bill with him, holding him up by his chest Bill rested his head against Phil's shoulder sleepily.

Ewell slipped out following Zeke, despite being taller than them both he seemed to naturally disappear behind him and Priscilla.

Creed brought Monet to Charlene's side and they all began to move to the doors.

Charlene pressed against it but the metal doors just clanked, she pressed again on the bar but it didn't budge. She slapped her hand against it and shouted “Hey!” before looking back to the others “It's locked from the inside.” she added, pushing again, when Creed joined and slammed his shoulder against the bar they felt the door give just slightly, as if something was blocking the door rather than it being locked.

Is someone in there?” Creed shouted as he slammed his fist against the entrance, the sounds of rattling followed the metallic clattering of protesting steel. He wasn't deterred, hitting again “We got kids out here, open up!” he added looking back at the concern on Debra's face, she held Steve close as she looked between the door and Phil.

Hello!” Charlene slapped the metal as Jake moved to look around the corner, just about ten feet from the door was a small hall, an extension that looked to have been built after the original building was constructed, he peeked down but saw all the windows boarded.

Hey! Open up!” Ember growled out slamming her boot into the door “Somebody's in there! Let us in!” She added kicking every other second Charlene didn't hit it.

Phil?” Debra called nervously but he didn't reply. Phil grit his teeth but didn't speak.

Jake kept looking, letting the three slam against the door trying to force it open, shouting and screaming, their collective demands to be let in rung loud in the empty lot and Jake felt a strange tension overcome him. He worried his lip against his short tusk, he pressed himself into the wall and tried to listen through the glass, tried to hear anything, and he did.

Two voices were muffled by the walls, the glass, the school kept them incomprehensible but he heard two distinct voices, one low, deep and scalding. The second was high strung, a shrill woman's voice snapped back at the first.

Before he could even get to the turn back to the group he heard Ember call out again “Let us in damn you!” and another voice replied, shouting from behind the blocked doors.

Alright! Shut up!” exclaimed a masculine voice, the door jiggled and the voice continued “Do you want that thing to hear you!” he snapped as Jake returned to the group.


The door cracked open just enough for the survivors to pile in, the man slammed the school doors shut the second they all cleared the door frame, he jammed a desk chair back into the door's crash bar, tying it tight after with a metal chain.

He sighed in relief. Then looked back over to the group, looking them all over trying to discern who the leader was.

The stranger was a tall and lean built man, he was well put together, wearing a fancy black suit with blood on the lapel. He had dark skin and no hair on his head or face aside from his thin eyebrows.

A woman was opposite to him, she wore an obviously tailored suit that fit her plush frame well and bore the trademark cross stitched shoulder pads of high end tailors on The Great Bridge. Her skin was an olive tone with pointed ears and tightly tied back hair. She had a deep worry in her green eyes, trying not to look too unwelcoming but she clearly didn't trust them, recoiling back a step with her arms tightly crossed across her chest.

Did any Cress follow you?” asked the man looking back to the closed door, nervous, shaking.


“Cress?” asked Charlene.

The infected, it's a term for them.” the woman behind them explained, she lowered her head then raised it again “You're not military, by the looks of it. So that means we're on our own, just like I thought.” she added reluctantly, as if she didn't want to speak but did it anyway, she bit her lip before sighing. The man locking the door cursed under his breath.


“No, so, do you know what's going on?” Jake asked, moving over to step towards Ember, she fell against his side when the two leaned against the wall.

That fucking tree went and rotted,” the man snapped, he held rage in his eyes but kept his back to them “Cresslings, those idiotic tree spawns went rabid, some sort pathogen.” he mumbled. Voice trailing before he brought his hand to his face, huffing, trying to think instead.

The woman shook her head no, narrow eyes looking down the hall she waved at them all to follow “Let's talk away from the door.” she said before turning away, she didn't wait for a reply, and she didn't need one. The group fell to quiet murmurings but followed her command.

They walked down the empty halls, posters for local school events had been pasted over by large instructional graphics for washing your hands and keeping healthy and bold print rule lists, it was bullet pointed, large wording to make the rulings clear.

Lockers still lined every part of the wall that didn't have a classroom door and the woman brought them back to the cafeteria, most of the tables had been pushed back to the walls, far back and out of the way for rows of temporary cots. Boxes of supplies were placed around all tightly shut. Two of the beds held bags, a woman's coat and purse, with a man's rain jacket and briefcase on the other.

Steve ran forward to throw himself onto one of the free beds “Steve!” his mother called but Zeke trotted after him, his two shadows, Ewell and Priscilla, right behind him.

Debra looked to Phil and he nodded, handing Bill over she looked to the other two, as if asking permission, and when the man nodded she went after the kids.

What's going on?” Monet asked, hand hovering by her chest as her worried gaze swapped between them “I thought this was just happening in the south, how did it spread so fast up here?” she asked shifting on her feet as Charlene joined her side.

It's going global,” the woman sighed “I came here on business just days before they blew the Great Bridge to the hells, Gods,” she said rubbing her face tiredly “I thought it was just some virus or religious fanatics going on about those stupid little sprouts from the Mother Tree but this, I have no fucking idea what this is.” she said, shaking her head. Then she looked back to the suit clad man, he squinted then sighed.

He scoffed. Angry. He shook his head and Ember noted his pointed ears. “I'm at least sitting down.” he snapped before moving towards the beds, questioning tones piped up but Ember surged forward “Who are you two?” Ember called. Her voice cutting above the others and the quiet inquisitions faded.

I'm Armella.” said the stranger, she gestured over to the man who adjusted his tailored pants before he sat on a cot “He's Sani, we were having a meeting when all this went down. Business partners, you know?” she chuckled awkwardly.

Why do you think they care?” Sani snapped “Ysyvanor is as good as gone, so's the business.” he said waving his hand dismissively at them.

What business?” Monet asked sheepishly but looked away when Sani gave her a look that screamed 'are you stupid?'.

Research-” “Will you give it up!” Sani snapped, interrupting her with an exasperated sigh “You're an accountant, not a colleague, alright.” then he looked to the group, his glaring nearly black green eyes held such judgment, as if he was weighing their value, their worth or their use with a single once over. It made him seem knowing, like he knew their history with a single look. “You're all obviously locals,” he collected, sounding disappointed. Then he lowered his head. “You at least know this started in Ysyvanor, right?” he asked.

Charlene nodded “That's what the news said.” she said as Creed settled beside her, the group all began to sit, trying to get comfortable in the tense atmosphere.

The city of Siaé Basa was gone in a day,” Sani spoke, his voice was low, deadpan. “I was already on a plane by the time it got out of hand, but, the city is gone, the cities around it are gone, hells, all of Ysyvanor could be. Or at least the original borders.” Sani added rubbing his large hand across his exhausted face “It's spread so fast, the only place that's kept this infection at bay is The Free Isles, despite the crime Suture Town has became sort of a last bastion,” he exuded exhaustion as he spoke, his bagged eyes were sunken back and a few bruises stuck out from his fancy suit “Last I heard anyway, I haven't been in contact with anyone for a while. Not since everyone started repeating that same broadcast” he looked over towards Armella who was too busy taking in the details of the survivors to notice his look “I was planning on going there next, I'd be there now if it weren't for this useless meeting.” he added lowly, groaning out the words.

Sani met Phil's eye for a moment before shifting to the others around them “Are you planning the same?”

Suture Town? Safe?” Phil scoffed, “That place is a lawless wasteland-” “At least the people aren't eating each other there.” Sani interrupted. Voice hard. Cold.

We're going to the military, they'll keep us safe, not the scum of Suture Town.” Phil snapped back but his voice didn't hold the same weight as Sani's, Phil was frustrated, angry. He wasn't controlling himself as he swung his arm to try and put more into the front.

I've been to three military camps and two private ones, each one has been overrun. You do whatever you want but I'm going to put the ocean between me and those monsters.” Sani growled.

Armella nodded absentmindedly.

The Free Isle is safe?” asked Monet.

I don't know.” Sani replied “It just looks like a best bet.” he said with a shrug.

Phil wasn't buying it, head shaking in annoyance “Whatever, we're going to the military. Edgeridge protects Its people.” he said with a sneer before he turned to join his wife. Bill perked up as he approached and reached his hand out to him, Phil smiled and gave the boy a fist bump before he began speaking to Debra in a hushed tone. Leaving the group unable to hear.

Monet looked over at Sani, then to Armella, she inched closer to Charlene “Should we go to the military anyway?” she asked nervously, tightening the hold around her own midsection “Maybe they can help us get to The Free Isles?” she added, now looking down to her shoes.

Think they can get us to Port Gnork?” Creed asked turning to look between the two, they weren't given a chance to reply when Sani shouted over to them “Port Gnork is worse off than Southern Pool, whatever military force that was there has been moved here or to Northern Falls, I was trying to catch up with them.” “We were.” Armella interjected. Her expression was between annoyed and tired, but she shook her head deciding her energy is better used elsewhere as she returned to her thoughts. Trying to come up with a safe plan.

What? When, when did that happen?” Monet piped up, her voice squeaking with the sudden rise in her tone.

It's still happening. There might be some people alive there but the government has pulled out, evacuated en masse on ships, I missed the last one by six hours.” Sani said. He shook his head “Have you been watching the news? Listening to anything?” he snapped.

It, it was all so upsetting, I, I couldn't stand it after a while.” Monet shamefully admitted.

Ysyvanor was so far away I didn't think it would spread this far.” Charlene added and Creed nodded awkwardly.

Well it's in Urī now. Bombing the Bridge didn't work and now it's going to Paskeer, Wolvhalle and the Mountains are next I'm sure,” he said with a scolding tone. Sani looked over to Armella “We stopped here for the night, but I'm leaving in the morning and you all should too.” Sani said sternly.

Ember took a deep breath and exhaled her nerves, she gave a worried glance to Jake who looked similarly upset.

Armella stood up, walking to the few of them with a forced smile that didn't reach her eyes, she made a gesture back towards the lunch bar in the back “There's a kitchen, still has a bit of food if you're all hungry.” she said, glancing to the kids settling on a few of the emergency beds, dragging the cheap frames across the cafeteria floor and pulling them closer together to round in a circle, leaving just enough room to walk between each bed they seemed to get themselves next to settled in, nervous smiles shared amongst them “There should be plenty for everyone.” Armella added, turning back, she glanced between Ember and Charlene “We should probably get ready to rest for the night, we want to leave right when the sun comes up, you all should come too.” she said with a brief look back to Sani, who was in the middle of moving his things to the far corner of the room, away from the others “I don't know as much as Sani does but I'll do what I can to answer your questions.” she said lowly, her voice quieted to avoid detection.


“As an accountant?” Jake blurted out, he wasn't malicious, just confused. His head tilted slightly in question.

As someone who watched the news.” she said with a gentle, teasing, smile.

Jake went red but nodded, rubbing the back of his neck he gave an awkward smile that came with a just as awkward laugh “Oh right.” he said before looking over to Ember who was giving him a smug grin, then her fingers ran long and rubbed his back to reassure him after.

Armella gave a polite nod before she bowed away, moving back to the cot she claimed. Monet turned to look at the others, they all shared a worried hope that still shined through their exhaustion. Creed leaned in to give a peck to Charlene's cheek who gave a coy grin in response. “Should we go fill in the Day's and the kids?” he asked, failing to hide the slight flirtatious gleam in his eye, he always seemed to look like a school boy lost in a crush when he saw her big, toothy smile.

She reached out and held his hand.


“Yeah, we can,” she then looked over to Monet “How about you check the kitchen and we'll spare you from hearing Phil.” she said with a humorous tone.


Monet nodded with a titter “Okay, while I'm not looking forward to eating high school lunches again I'm glad we'll get something to eat tonight.” she replied, attempting humor, Charlene gave her a comforting squeeze to her shoulder before Monet turned away and trotted over to the cafeteria kitchen, she glanced back at Charlene once or twice but then disappeared behind the counter.

Oh hells, I'm tired.” Ember droned, tilting her body just enough to peek across Jake and see Charlene before she managed to walk away, Ember reached out with a light wave and she stopped to meet Ember's gaze quizzically “Thanks Char, it's been good getting to you know better.” Ember said which made Charlene brighten up “Wake us when you leave, me and Jake will be right behind you, wherever we're going.” she said nodding, then she wrapped an arm around Jake's and led him forward, aiming to find a cot or two of their own.

Charlene and Creed approached the circle of beds the younger's had made, Zeke looked up almost immediately, laying on one of the cots with Steve standing beside him.

Zeke perked up, tilting his head towards them “Is there food in this place? It's way fancier than our school.” he said looking around, examining the bright posters and hung banners that remained from before the military took it over, Creed could tell he wasn't as bright as he was letting on, there were bags under his red eyes and the grin he gave Steve seemed to only convince the two kids.

Priscilla nodded enthusiastically, her lips curled in agreement “I bet it does!” she agreed. She deflated a bit after she spoke, a deep breath leaving her “I, I guess I didn't realize we haven't eaten all day,” her hand folded to her stomach, she looked a bit self conscious, nervous “It's kind of hard to be hungry after...” her voice faded into nothing and Zeke reached to her shoulder and gave her a pat.

Monet's going to find us something, trust me she can make anything taste good.” Charlene said with a cheer, hoping the feeling spread to them, she looked over the three teens as Debra walked over to Steve's side.

Phil was sitting a few beds away, still in ear shot but he was keeping his distance.

So, Suture Town hasn't been hit too hard. If we can get to that island maybe the Free Isles will be a real safe place.” she said turning to look towards Creed briefly before readdressing the teens “We'll stop by the evacuation zone, see if they can help us get there.” there was a hint of pride in her voice, and a bit of embarrassment “Last resort we try Port Yov.” she ended.

Port Yov?” Debra parroted, bewildered. Debra narrowed her eyes, waving her hand slightly in shock “That's on the other side of the continent!”

Sani said the military's struggling, seems like The Free Isles is doing better than us because they're an island, I wonder how Thydakar is doing?” Creed remarked, wondering before he checked to see Phil's reaction, who seemed to have resigned, holding his head in his hands Creed assumed he was thinking, or listening hopefully.

Ewell leaned into his two friends, his brows almost seemed stuck permanently in a worried bend as he whispered “We can't drive.” to Zeke.

Charlene laughed which caused Ewell to go wide eyed, her giggle trailed guiltily “We'll drive you, don't worry.” she said elbowing Creed to draw him into the conversation. “This guy's been protecting me for three years, he's pretty good at it.” her voice lightened as she praised him, a genuine joy in her tone despite not facing him, rather addressing the others “So just imagine how good I'll do at looking out for you guys!” she joked, trying to lighten the mood and she did manage to get a few titters from them, even if they may have been forced.


“Is that okay?” Ewell asked.

Without giving a chance to reply Priscilla looked over at Charlene and exclaimed “Thank you!” Priscilla watched as Steve looked over to his mother then back to Zeke, he looked perturbed and a bit annoyed.

Are we going too?” he asked, suddenly turning to his mother.

Debra startled, she blinked three times quickly in a row before she awkwardly opened and closed her mouth, looking at Phil then back to Charlene.

Charlene took her worried look and shared it to Creed, she nodded at him and he reluctantly nodded back, “If you can keep Phil under control I think it's best we all stick together.” he said with an empathetic smile, trying to offset his tired annoyance.

A wave of relief washed over Debra and she sheepishly nodded “Thank you,” she looked back to Phil and her expression fell to longing “He's a good man, he, he's upset because of what happened today. What he had to do, today, to protect us before we got out of the apartment. He's not normally this angry. Forgive him.” but the way she spoke, the way her gaze fell it all seemed rehearsed. As if she'd done it countless times before.

She turned back to the two and smiled, then looked down at Steve. She ruffled his hair and drew a yelp of protest from him “Seems like you get to spend some more time with your new friends Steve!” she said happily, then moving to address the rest of the group “I'll make sure to be useful. I don't know how to fight but those things don't seem like black belts either.” she tried to get Steve to laugh but he let out an embarrassed groan “Mom!” as she smiled again at him.

Creed waved his hand casually “Don't worry about it.” He said “But thanks, having an extra pair of eyes can't be a bad thing.” Creed added before trying to eye out a spot of his own “I'm gonna find a spot to sit while Monet cooks.” he explained, kissing the side of Charlene's head before turning to find a cot closer to the door, not too far from the others but enough to be comfortable.


Charlene watched him go, letting her gaze linger for just a moment before turning back “It's gonna be nice getting to know you all better, see you in the morning.” Charlene gave her farewell before making her way towards Creed.

Goodnight.” Debra said warmly.

G'night!” Zeke's hand shot up to wave as Priscilla and Ewell gave gentler ones.
Everyone began to find small bits of comfort, whether in the thin mattress of the cots or in each other's company, the Day family moved together, Bill pressed against Phil's side with Debra and Steve sat up on the cot beside them, the two pairs of couples had unintentionally set up diagonal to each other, each on opposite sides of the teens' circle.

Then Monet.

The kitchen was cold, stainless steel. The equipment was a short step up from the high schools in her neighborhood, she'd say the place looked like a culinary academy compared to her old school, the rows of empty serving trays were lukewarm, the cookware had been off for who knows how long and she doubts any of the power would work.

She dreaded checking the freezer, she hoped maybe there would be some sort of generator when she thought of the smell.

She looked up. Over the counter and the glass case. Out to the people all slowly easing into a tense rest, their minds all racing, hearts fluttering, and concern for the future so tangible they felt it choke them.

Why didn't she feel the same?

Monet twitched her thin fingers, she'll put her focus on the others, keep them well. Everything is sure to hit her soon, she'll use the moment of calm to make them all a grand meal out of whatever she can find.

They'll eat well, spend the night talking and sharing stories like they used to, they'll sleep well, protected by strong walls and double doors, then tomorrow, well, she didn't want to put much thought in tomorrow. It will come when it comes and she won't think of it a second sooner.


0