Chapter 7: Anger’s Emissary
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the group moved towards the main entrance of the school they gathered their confidence, Charlene leaned into Creed as they approached the push bar.

“Instead of stuffing us all in the trunk again maybe Armella can drive us?” Debra said trying to keep a light mood, voice endeared with amusement.

“Sure.” Armella nodded with a smile.

Jake tilted his head towards them “If we need we can always stop at those stores on the way right? Get some supplies, the sporting goods store should be able to give us some armor.” he said looking back towards the group behind him.

Ewell briefly met his eye before he looked back down to his feet.

“Yeah!” Zeke agreed with a grin “Get something better than these golf clubs,” he chuckled before quickly adding “No offense.” with a now awkward smile.

Ewell looked down at his empty hands, no weapon, no possessions, his brow pinched nervously as he slowed a step, just a bit.

“I don't want to jinx it but I got a good feeling about today!” Ember said with a faint cheer, almost as if she didn't want to show it.

Making their way towards the main entrance they adjusted their bags, now everything they owned on their person.

“We'll follow Sani's trail, try and catch up to the military first.” Charlene added, allowing Jake and Creed to first approach. Zeke and Phil held weapons ready behind them as they pushed open the door letting in the bright morning sun.

They burst forward out into the parking lot until Zeke slid to a stop, he stammered, face dropping as they all saw a police officer, he was knelt down with a dragging arm which twisted at odd angles.

It was hunched over, gloved hands ripped into the middle section of an orange shirted man, his face slack and as empty as his body was. The corpse inched from the creature feasting from it.

Jake reached out and yanked Zeke back as Creed lunged forward, trying to move fast and quiet. Debra took her boys and moved towards Armella's car with her following close behind. Monet flinched, unable to look as Creed stealthed forward.

With a growl of acknowledgment the fallen officer turned, jaw still chewing and hands holding gore it twisted its middle to view Creed. Creed flinched, a split second of hesitation as he looked at the infected's face. The empty look in its eyes shook him, but he brought down his weapon and bashed Its head in, he shut his eyes towards the end, feeling sickened by the sight of the caved in, flesh matted skull.

Creed shuddered. He turned around and saw Jake waving him back over, he had a proud look on his face, or he would if he wasn't holding back disgust with a twitch to his eye. Creed shook his head and trotted towards him, reaching the group Jake gave him a flat smile in an attempt to be comforting and Creed returned one just as awkward.

Priscilla's face scrunched “Ew!” she exclaimed turning away, turning she moved towards Zeke, pushing by Ewell almost as if she didn't realize he was there, she stood behind Zeke. Hand on his shoulder as she watched Creed return.

“We should get moving.” Ember said as she dug the keys to Jake's bike out of her pocket, she dangled them in front of her to draw his attention. Which immediately did, he looked past the keys and to her face. He gave her a much more genuine half cocked smile, he reached over and snatched them before Ember had a chance to yank them away playfully, she gave a humorous pout before jerking her head and leading him towards the motorcycle, noticing the Day's settling in Armella's car.

Monet nodded, her arms were crossed as she felt her stomach turning. She lugged the two sacks of food up, holding them in her arms with a bit of a struggle she moved to the trunk of Charlene's car, hearing it unlock as she approached.

Charlene gave a nod, hand running up Creed's back to reassure him “Let's go. The military will sort this out, not you.” she ended her words softer, quieter, and Creed nodded with a deep breath before she led him forward back to her car.

Creed looked back towards the trio of teens, Zeke was already moving to follow them but Ewell was stood nervous at the school entrance, Creed was about to call out to him when Priscilla huffed, she turned and snatched his arm and dragged him along with everyone else. He muttered an apology, stumbling to the car beside Priscilla and Zeke. Charlene took the driver's seat as Creed took the passenger's side beside her, the three teens settled in the middle, with Priscilla immediately looking out of the window, her gaze drifting, falling distantly.

Creed looked into the back as Zeke and Ewell squished together, trying to give Priscilla the space she needed while Monet took the other window seat, she nodded thanks to Zeke who nodded back, Ewell's head was down, looking towards his knocked knees so he didn't nod or notice her.

Charlene looked through Creed's open window and to Armella, who pulled up beside them “We'll follow you. Lead the way.” Charlene shouted over the sound of their engines.

Armella waved in acknowledgment before she moved her sleek car, the black vehicle much quieter than Charlene's. Armella pulled out of the parking spot before Ember, who took to driving this time, she waited a few moments before she too moved, Charlene kept the bikers semi between the cars, as if she didn't want them in the back, she made sure to keep a safe distance between all the different moving transports.

They exited the parking lot, easing back out into the city they made sure to drive around the collapsed bodies best they could, few remained on the street, most Monet noticed weren't there yesterday. Her gaze fell, looking down at the passing asphalt under their tires, stained, cracked and uneven. The roads looked more worn than usual, trash, debris, clothes and even bits of car parts were strewn about.

She tried to ignore the corpses. Half eaten, some burned from traffic accidents. Monet decided to focus inward, on the people around her. Focus on something, someone alive. Someone to hold on to, she glanced briefly at Charlene before looking back to the other's inside with her, she smiled softly at the three teens, Zeke was leaned back, looking behind Ewell's head and towards Priscilla's way, his expression wavered, guilt, worry, his hands fell forward and slapped loudly against his thighs.

“Zeke?” Monet called, he spun his head around to face her, blinking, he met her eyes and she continued “You're doing a great job looking out for everyone.” she said, her voice naturally soft, low, she looked up briefly at Ewell and Priscilla who seemed to be paying them no mind before she returned her gaze to Zeke, who was dumbstruck.

A faint blush of embarrassment covered Zeke's cheeks, he chuckled, rubbing the back of his head “I'm not doing much,” he excused, letting his hands fall “I just want us to make it to the military, out of the city.” he said with a shudder of worry “If I can do more, I don't know. Tell me I guess.” he ended with a shrug, trying to cover up his unease.

“You're doing fine.” Monet said, then took a deep breath and spoke a bit louder “We're all doing fine, we're going to make it through this.” she said with confidence, a strong smile.

“Hells yeah we will!” Charlene cheered in agreement. She felt offended when Priscilla scoffed but she ignored it, a huff leaving her chest but otherwise she let it go.

Charlene kept her eyes on Armella's car, only taking her attention off it to make sure she didn't drift too close to the well built custom chopper beside them, Jake held Ember's middle as they all kept on.

Charlene tried the radio again but it just gave the same outdated instructions it had been giving since they first announced Southern Pools evacuation.

She quickly turned it off. They didn't need to be reminded they missed their deadline. Creed cleared his throat. Anxious.

Rolling down town roads they headed East bound, wheels spinning under heavy vehicles. Then Monet flinched, everyone in the car reacted in someway, from Ewell curling further into himself, thin fingers balling into fists which he pressed against his sensitive ears, to Creed stiffening so hard he stomped against the floor. There were wails echoing across the city, sobs sounding human and inhuman, a mix of sobs and the calls of gargling animals, their skin crawled, they couldn't tell if the sounds came from the living or undead.

They tried to ignore the way the cars thumped over debris. Unable to look out the window anymore Monet looked down at her own lap, falling into thought.

Charlene didn't have that luxury, eyes focused on the blood and tire marks that plastered the streets, dodging the occasional lunging infected, and watching the friendly motorcycle drive alongside of them. Creed turned his head and watched her with worry, her face was strained, lines across her brow and wrinkles in her twitching frown, like the past thirty six hours aged her with worry. She was trying to keep a neutral expression but she kept slipping into disgust, or devastation.

He reached over and placed a hand on Charlene's leg. Giving a gentle squeeze of reassurance that brought little comfort.

She watched, startling briefly, then quickly moved to stop the car as Armella began to slow, moving to park halfway up on the sidewalk.

Ember parked beside her driver's door, Charlene could see them talking but couldn't understand a word. She squinted. Wishing she could read lips.

Then the passenger's side door opened. Phil got out, he was waving his arm, his other holding the children's golf club.

Charlene shook her head “One sec.” she said which made Creed fluster as she pulled off her seat belt, throwing the door open she gave a quick look around, saw nothing, and then looked over at Phil “What are you doing?” she called.

“Getting a gun!” he replied, pointing up towards the sign hung above the buildings entrance. Dalcus Arms read the sign with a bold helmet and gun logo, a chain of gun and tactical gear stores that have opened all across Edgeridge, well known amongst hunters and would be soldiers alike for selling good quality fire arms, cheaply priced ammunition, and a some larger stores even stock hunting and camping equipment.

She looked around, up and down the empty street. Around the gun store were mostly looted shops. The Arms shop didn't look much better, front door was smashed open and the barred window was shattered, glass and dropped bullets were strewn about the side walk leading up to the busted entrance.

Charlene didn't have much faith in finding anything useful, she opened her mouth to speak but Phil clearly wasn't listening as he walked inside ignoring the calls from his wife.

Debra eventually just shut the door, thinking she'd better keep everyone in the car safer.

Monet unclipped herself and stepped outside, Charlene's head spun around to watch her shut the door, turning the corner of the hood then past the car, moving towards the gun shop door.

Charlene stammered, she looked back and forth, then cursed. She left the car, she could feel the two biker's eyes watching her, then she heard their footsteps join hers. Charlene glanced back to Creed, he was looking back at the kids before recapturing Charlene in his gaze, he saw her put her hand up, signaling him to stay.

Creed gaped but didn't protest. He just watched as Phil, Monet, Jake, Ember and his beloved Charlene entered the building. He swallowed awkwardly, hearing Ewell's tiny whisper of “Are they coming back?”

Ember walked into the building speaking quietly “Don't think much is gonna be in here.” she remarked blandly.

 

The room inside looked like a tornado had torn through it, vests were ripped and worn, trampled on the ground covered in shoe prints and crumpled empty ammo boxes. The lined walls were filled with pilfered hooks and stands, the glass counter was broken open as shards crunched underfoot.

The shelves were mostly barren, a few branded t-shirts, sports caps, and bits of other styled apparel were hooked on poles or hung on the walls as sparse decoration. Anything, everything else was thrown around and covering the floor without a care for the products. The lights above them were unresponsive, dark and dim with the oak wood counters and storage units in various states of disarray. Monet read the bold printed sign, large letters in striking colors and underlined with flowing waves of paint. It read: Edgeridge's Pride in tactical and defensive gear.

Ember approached the entrance.

Phil moved around the counter ignoring the ripped open register he pushed around the debris, kicking away magazines and newspaper shredding. He was using his foot careful with all the glass around he searched for a fire arm, there were a few bullets around but he didn't bother to pick them up if he didn't have anything to put them in.

Monet was following suit, she poked through a few racks, nothing, she huffed, unable to find even a pocket knife. She gave an exaggerated pout. As she moved deeper into the destruction her eyes scanned more broken supports, splintered wood and no merchandise.

 

Moving back towards the corner of the store she saw an open bathroom door, she let out a faint gasp, tilting her head to see a massive hole in the bathroom wall, breaking clear through to the business on the other side. She inched closer. Trying to strain her eyesight to see into the dark drinking den. With a quick shriek she jumped, hearing something by the door.

Broken frame snapped under Jake's boot as he inched closer, following Ember back inside as Charlene approached Monet.

“What are you doing?” she asked in a hushed tone.

After looking at all of them in relief Monet replied “We need weapons?” now facing her “Why'd you follow? Wait, all of you did?” she huffed, pinching her brow together.

“I'm not staying in the car.” Priscilla grumbled, hands in the pockets of her jacket with Zeke and Ewell on either side of her, then Creed was looking flustered and a bit guilty behind them.

“What?” Charlene questioned before turning to following Monet's gaze to see the four standing by the entrance. She then let out a scoffing sigh.

“I'm not going around without a weapon.” Priscilla said plainly. Despite the fact she was holding Zeke's golf club.

“I didn't think we should'a left Ewell in the car alone.” Creed excused awkwardly. A brief glance down towards the short girl who paid him no mind, Creed cocked his head and drew attention to the pale boy. His nervous expression was proof enough he tagged along only to avoid being alone.

“I've never shot a gun before!” Zeke exclaimed, he almost sounded excited, but the tiredness, the bleakness, in his voice dampened that.

Ewell's face scrunched after Zeke spoke.

“You aren't going to either.” Ember said with a humorous chuckle, she glanced around at the barren shop with a shake of her head “Doesn't look like shits here.” she added, as if she had to clarify. Her tone wasn't malicious or mocking, in fact she looked fondly at Zeke as the teen crossed his arms and pouted. Creed wondered to the counter.

Zeke strolled over to her side, looking up to smile towards her briefly even if the gesture didn't reach his eyes, he then moved with Priscilla and Ewell to the center of the decrepit store, they were looking around lazily, searching for anything useful.

Glossing over empty shelves and dirty racks he lackadaisically strolled to a piles of knocked over shirts, mostly camo prints but a few had attempts at humor printed on the fronts, mostly hunting related puns that Zeke cocked a half smile to.

“Ha!” Priscilla exclaimed, Zeke quickly snapped his attentions to her worriedly but when he saw digging through the piles of discarded clothing scattered across the floor, Ewell tugged at his baggy sleeve as he watched Zeke run over to her, Priscilla sat up grinning widely as she raised a steel folding knife in her hand. It was closed, the textured handle was colored with a bright red camouflage and the blade had a zip tie keeping it safely tucked away “Yes!” she cheered, lowering her hand as Zeke got to her side.

“Whoa!” Zeke beamed, staring down at the weapon in her hands, Priscilla stuffed her finger into a hole on the plastic handle and began to twirl it playfully “That's kick ass!” he added, then he felt a presence behind him. He felt the figure loom over him before he heard the voice.

“What'cha got?” Creed asked, a slightly amused tone came into his voice as he looked almost smugly down at them.

“Uhh....” Zeke droned, eyes darting between Creed and Priscilla.

“None of your business.” Priscilla snapped.

“A knife.” Zeke spoke nearly the same second Priscilla did, she scrambled to hide her hands behind her back, scowling at Zeke near immediately.

Creed opened his hand and dropped it towards her then wiggled his fingers as he spoke “Lemme see.” his grin wasn't mocking this time, small and genuine. Priscilla glared at Zeke the entire time she reluctantly showed her hands and gave Creed the folded knife.

Creed didn't hear it up as he stood tall but Priscilla cursed lowly at Zeke, bitter she crossed her arms and refused to look at him. Creed snapped the zip tie with ease and opened the knife, inspecting the blade closely.

It was curved, just barely. The blade was short and thick, just a bit shorter than the hilt, which had built in grooves for fingers with a somewhat large hole in the back, a spot to be chained or hooked to, he looked closer at the print job. The handle's camouflage pattern was repeating almost perfectly and he knew it wasn't made by hand, not that he expected it to be, there was a small imprint on the blade: Made In Paskeer.

Creed rolled his eyes, Edgeridge Pride indeed.

Creed closed the blade and offered it back to Priscilla “Good find.” he praised lightly.

Priscilla inched her head back ever so slightly in disbelief, squinting narrowly she reached forward expecting him to yank it away at the last second but to her surprise he didn't, she took the knife back and held it in two hands, which now rested on her lap. “Thanks.” she spoke softly.

“Creed!” Monet called.

Creed turned his head and saw Monet had shrunk into herself, arms close to her chest she kept looking towards the bathroom, peeking her head in now and again but quickly pulling back. She met his eye, lips tightly shut she just waved him over quickly.

Creed scoffed humorously, shaking his head he made his way over to her.

He got to her side and cocked his head, there was the large hole, plain and clear to see. Dust floated in the air catching the dim light from the partially shuttered entrance, debris covered the bathroom floor as if the wall broke into it, plaster and sound proofing was strewn across the tiles and even filled the sink. He returned to Monet “Yeah?” he asked, watching her lean against the door frame trying to look and hide at the same time. He almost startled when he felt a hand on his back but he quickly saw the wild curls of Charlene's hair out of the corner of his eye and knew he was fine.

“Be careful.” she ghosted.

“I, I swear I heard something move in there.” she whimpered. Tapping her fingers against the wood, her other hand folded by her lips.

“Huh?” he murmured, he took out his phone. Despite it having no service he could still use it as a dim flashlight. Stepping into the bathroom the bits of wall further crumbled under his sneakers, he was moving cautiously but Monet felt he was being much too casual for her liking, she wanted to bite at her nails as the anticipation brought a lump of dread to her chest.

The building's next door looked in much worse shape than this one, almost nothing remained beside the broken parts of shelves and display racks. It smelt like a mixture of decay and stale booze, the labels had been torn but there was smashed bottles and foodstuffs ground into the floor from what they assumed to be a looting spree.

Charlene kept a few steps behind him but didn't want him going alone, lingering just a bit a head of the door frame. She watched as Creed moved through the hole and arrived on the other side, the shudders were drawn closed but were heavily damaged, parts had been caved in or bent so badly it let in a small amount of light, the streams illuminating the bits of flowering buds that curled to perfectly fill the shape of the sun beam.

The back wall was covered in browning leaves and dried sprouts that ran down and disappeared behind the nearly wall length counter.

“Guys?” Ewell's voice could hardly be heard, his tone soft and too quiet.

Creed didn't really see anything, nothing caught his eye. The place was pretty bare aside from the mess of shriveled plant matter and smashed end caps, most things had been shoved to the sides, set in a few almost boarder like lines but even those were disturbed and messy. His eyes ran over a large pile of ceiling panels and leaves behind the counter, over the long broken electronic displays above that, he saw some bags, a few of them but they seem torn up and empty. Creed squinted his eye trying to look closer, there was a battery run lantern. Three of them. One was beyond repair but the other two were snugly pressed against a rolled up sleeping bag, still tied tight by campers rope. He felt a poke to his shoulder then quickly looked back to the entrance.

He turned to look back at the girls behind him and shrugged. Charlene took that as permission enough and moved through the barrier of buildings, stepping to Creed's side as she looked around, trying to think of anything that could be moving. She didn't see a thing.

She glanced back at Monet who's expression scrunched in worry and confusion.

“Maybe, maybe we should just go.” Monet murmured awkwardly.

“What's in there?” Priscilla's voice came from behind them, Monet jumped, turning to see the three teens behind her, Ewell nearly copied Monet's nervous stance while Priscilla and Zeke tried to look past Creed and into the other business.

“Dead plants, by the looks of it.” Creed remarked as he flipped his phone shut, he stuffed it back into his pocket. “Doesn't really- hey!” Creed shouted as Priscilla and Zeke squeezed by him and moved into the darkened building.

“Ew it smell's like Ewell's uncle in here.” Priscilla waved her hand in front of her face.

“Pri!” Zeke scolded but he had a half smile on his face, shaking his head he glanced back but didn't see Ewell, he looked back into the building, scanning the walls and debris while standing just a step in front of Creed who then wasted no time putting himself in front of of the two teens “This place is a mess.” Zeke said kicking away the shattered top of a wine bottle, a cork still plugging the lip of it.

He looked up when he heard Priscilla's quiet and curious exclamation, slowly creeping to one of the sun beams.

“We should probably just leave.” Charlene stated, patting Creed's back gently.

“Yes!” Monet shouted. Tightening the cross of her arms. She startled, nearly throwing herself into the wall when she noticed Phil approach, a massive frown pulling at his oval shaped face.

His dark, bagged eyes didn't even look her way as he moved to Charlene and Creed “There's not a single fucking thing in here, I didn't even find a bullet on the floor.” he complained before he glanced over them to see into the room, watching as Zeke and Priscilla moved further in.

“Stay close!” Creed shouted glaring at the back of the teen's heads. That was until Charlene drew his attention.

She turned him around but kept her eyes scanning the area behind him, her smile fading she then looked to their shoes “I, well, this. I don't...” she sighed. Lowering her head as she tried to find her words. Creed moved in and hugged her tightly, he didn't acknowledge the scoff Phil made at being ignored and instead just buried his face in her unruly hair.

She sunk into him.

“We're leaving then?” Phil asked. His voice lacking any emotions.

Ewell glanced back to the main entrance, shifting on his feet before looking back to the group lingering at the bathroom. He took a step closer, a good few paces away from the cracked door frame but close enough to hear Phil and Charlene's voices.

Charlene pulled back, exhaling deeply. She looked over the room one more time “We should probably get going.” she finally found her words, she looked over at the grate shutters, the dwindling light that wormed through the holes drew her attentions to a bright spot, the corner off to the opposite side was mostly broken open, at a slant it had bent up, caught on the broken frame it never managed to go all the way down, it snapped instead. Bent diagonally. Leaving a good two feet of height.

The light was suddenly blocked out by Zeke as he unknowingly stepped in her eye line, stepping over torn sleeping bags he lazily gestured towards the shudders, to a large smeared symbol. The paint was a dark purple burgundy and it had dripped before it dried, it wasn't as damaged, scuffed, dirtied as everything else, it had to have been semi recently put up.

Zeke turned his head, looking between Charlene and Priscilla, Priscilla had knelt down looking closer at the spiral of vines, squared flowers and small red blooms tried to reach out to the sunbeam, Zeke spoke as he again pointed towards it “What's that?” he asked “Some warning or something? Is it a sign?” but he never settled on looking at one person.

Priscilla squinted, looking closer she reached towards the plant, aiming for a poke.

Charlene approached Zeke, her arms crossed with one hand raised to rub against her chin “I'm, not sure. It, it um. Is certainly. Interesting.” she murmured, cracking a half smile at the poor attempt at a circle.

“Maybe it's supposed to be a sun?” Zeke mused nudging his elbow into Charlene's, sharing the cheeky grin she wore.

“Who cares about some stupid fu-” Phil shut himself up when they all heard footsteps outside, they froze up, the grate shimmied, then there was curse.

Creed moved first, stepping in front of Zeke and Charlene's, shifting them behind himself.

“Ow!” Priscilla yelped, ripping her hand away from the light beam.

Creed tried to back them all towards the bathroom when a woman crept out from the under shutters, entering the building. She stood up with a start, backing up until she hit the metal covers. Priscilla scrambled back towards them as Creed threw his arm out, eye twitching with nerves as the stranger pulled out a sleek pistol.

The stranger had a wiry bob cut and a wild look in her eyes, holding the gun up, towards Creed's head.

“Hang on now...” Creed said with an awkward whine, keeping his arms out, bent back minutely to try and cover those behind him “We don't mean any trouble.” he added.

Charlene nodded in agreement, her hand never leaving Creed's shoulder “We we're just leaving.” she murmured. It was clear the woman wasn't buying it.

“You're in Sunguard territory, what group are you with?” she asked as she shifted, trembling hands holding the gun she fanned her fingers over the hilt, eyes darting between Creed and Phil.

“It was a sun!” Zeke exclaimed, unable to stay quiet.

“Look,” Creed started as he and those behind him took a single step back “We've been hold up in our apartments for weeks until these things broke down our doors, we're not with any groups, we aren't the bad guys, alright? We're just trying to get the military.” Charlene's fingers squeezed tightly into the back of Creed's jacket, straining the fabric worriedly. Creed took a deep breath through his nose before he offered “We can take you with us?” with a pinched brow.

She shifted on her feet, slamming her bicep with with her hand to draw attention to the messily painted sun on a scrap piece of fabric that was sewn onto it “Anyone who isn't a Sunguard is a bad guy.” she finished, bringing her second hand to her pistol.

“You-” the words hardly had time to leave her throat when her own sudden shriek cut her off, thrown forward the stranger was suddenly swept off her feet, she cried out in pain as her chin slammed down onto the cracked tile floor, the shock forced her teeth to pierce down into her fleshy tongue causing blood to spurt from her lips, more following her spit as she choked out mumbled curses.

As she hit the ground her pistol fell from her hand, the gun misfired nearly deafening them from the sudden shot that whizzed across the room and buried itself in the back wall, bits of concrete fell from the thick support at the explosive force, while the gun hit the broken tiles a bit away from her straining fingers.

Everyone, including the stranger, froze in shock unable to do anything but scream. A lumbering mound moved. The top of what looked to be a protruding spine was covered in fungus, a thick, dark green blanketed the body, no, bodies, it had to be, the mass looked to be fallen citizens of Southern Pool, particularly damaged ones. Broken forms, many without limbs or even large portions of their bodies came together. Pouring themselves into one another while the plant life around them made them whole, vines like fine thread sewing them all together and keeping the creature intact. Mostly.

As it rose from behind the thick counter specks of moss and flesh dropped from it alongside the broken ceiling panels that once concealed it. The sounds came next. Hungry groans left several mouths as the nest of roots and mold were scraped back, twisting and snapping away only to expose more gore.

Before anyone could break out of their shock and react three arms clawed the woman back as limply hung limbs grabbed at the Sunguard's ankle, clammy fingers clasped her pant leg and yanked her back with a strength unbecoming of such shrived limbs, as if nothing but bones wrapped in roots remained under the skin.

Charlene gasped in horror, so focused on the disturbing thing before her she didn't even feel the wind rustle her hair as Monet darted past her, pushing Phil to the side with an angry grunt Monet slammed down to her knees, ignoring the sting of pain as she grabbed at the woman's hand desperately trying to drag her free, all in vain. It was too late as her sudden shriek became gargled, Monet gasped, she watched as browning vines turned pin point sharp, stabbing forward tearing through the fabric of her jeans and digging into the flesh of her calf, Monet kept whispering comforts but they fell on deaf ears as the woman suddenly froze, veins bursting with greens she convulsed as the infection spread through her body faster than a flame consumed paper, ripping her hand out of Monet's the woman's neck snapped back, mouth opening as vines forced themselves from her throat.

Monet leapt back in fear as the pained gargles finally trailed to a stop as the woman went still, until those blackened fingers that seemed to twist into hardened twigs curled around the woman's infected body and dragged, aiming to mold new flesh to the mound.

Then the woman moved, her eyes now blown out as her arms shot forward rigidly and tried to claw at Monet like an animal.

With a shriek Monet scrambled back, fingers brushing against the metal of the pistol until she suddenly felt warmth, Charlene grabbed her and pulled Monet back. She took the pistol with her, stumbling to her feet as Charlene got her up and running.

By the time Monet looked up to the bathroom the broken entryway was clear, Phil was no where to be seen while Creed pushed the three teens towards the door. Ewell was holding his ears which were still ringing from the shot so Zeke snatched his sweater and yanked him along with them.

“Hells!” Ember exclaimed as she slid to a stop, nearly colliding into Charlene in her attempt to help them but Ember was quick on her feet and swerved, instead pushing them forward and towards the front door as she gave a fleeting glance into the room.

Half a dozen hands grasped towards her from across the room, the newly infected screeched louder than the decrepit faces across the mound, necks so weak their heads hung limply where they sprouted.

Ember felt her scale speckled face flush red as a rush of bile filled her throat, she swallowed it down and spun on the thick heel of her boots, holding the rear as they all ran for the door.

All that followed them was screaming.

“I-I got-” Monet stared, awkwardly trying to draw attention to the gun she held limply, Charlene was paying her no mind as she kept dragging her towards the door. That's when she caught Phil's eye.

More so the gun did, Phil hovered by the door watching as Jake waved the last three forward, Ember kept behind the two other women.

Right as they got to the doorway Charlene let go of Monet, leaping forward into Creed's waiting arms.

Instead of following the others as they ran to the hatchback Monet paused, Phil wasn't blocking her way but he clearly wanted her attention, he put out his hand expectantly and she blinked at him in confusion. He didn't even given her the chance to question him when he snatched the gun from her hand, taking it with him as he then quickly fled back to Armella's car without a word from either of them.

Monet was stood stunned, frozen in bewilderment. Until Ember pressed against her shoulder and shoved her forward and out of the door.

She stumbled. Ember moved past her as her and Jake rushed back to their bike right as Phil slammed the car door shut. Monet was standing dumbstruck, everyone moving fast around her as she stood still, rooted where she stood.

All she heard was a screeching static. All she saw was people moving around her.

“Monet!” Charlene screamed. Her panicked voice finally shattering the hold that panic held over her, Monet jerked around looking towards where her voice came from, she saw Charlene slam the car door shut as Monet watched silhouettes sprinting from the alleyways, corpses forced to move by rigid roots and constricting vines fusing to their skeletons and replacing muscle, bodies puppetted from the inside by horrific symbiotic plant matter hell bent on making everything as gorgeous, as natural, as magical as they are.

More than a dozen ran forward, their chests protruding outwards with limbs hung limply, heads back, they were running, sprinting as if they were on the verge of death and all they needed to was survive was inside that car.

The snarls, clacking teeth and cracking bones, all made noise which nearly drowned out Charlene's next cry “Girl! Move your ass!” she shouted as Charlene threw open the passenger's door, frantically waving her hand at her.

Monet sprinted forward and threw herself in the car, watching as Jake already began to speed away, taking himself and Ember to safety.

Armella's car wasn't far behind, Charlene wasted no time, refusing to left infected bodies hit her car she revved the engine to life, the bright light of her headlights didn't even stun the infected as she sped forward and weaved between the few attackers, passing by them to drive after their companions.

Silence took over the interior. No one spoke. Only heavy breaths let the other's know they were still there.

Charlene looked up to the rear view mirror and saw everyone she should, Creed was right behind Monet, practically clutching onto her headrest, the three teens were pressed tightly together beside him, Zeke was worriedly fussing over Priscilla as she rubbed her sore hand, there was a slight bubble of blood on the tip of her finger, then Ewell shut down beside them, folding into himself pretending the world around him was nothing but a cruel fantasy.

Ewell yelped as the hatchback tousled, running over what used to be a person and crushing the decrepit corpses under their fast moving tires.

She watched the vehicles speed ahead of them, then Charlene quickly whipped out her phone not only to be disappointed by the lack of service, but also by the revelation she doesn't know Armella's phone number.

Monet was completely still. Her hands bunched on her lap as she stared forward, her wet eyes were unfocused. She was looking forward but she saw nothing, stare absent. Tears rolled down her cheeks but she didn't make a sound.

“What the fuck is a Sunguard?” Came Creed's sudden growl. Nervous but frustrated.

“I don't know and I don't care!” Charlene snapped back. She didn't mean to direct her anger at him, her voice came out harder than she wanted as her knuckles turned white from her iron grip on the wheel.

Creed looked away from her headrest and looked down to his lap briefly, his chest was tight, he tried to calm down his breathing. Staring, focusing on the textured pattern of his pants, trying to put his mind on anything that wasn't his surroundings.

Growling and the sounds of engines filled his ears before he managed to hear the teens. Zeke's voice was quiet as he was leaned into Priscilla “Do we have bandages?” he asked before grabbing for his backpack.

“Huh?” Creed grumbled, turning to absently look at them. He watched Priscilla keep her hand raised, fingers curled except for her pointer finger, the plump digit had a thin line of blood dribbling down and rolling into her palm, there was a tiny cut just under where her nail grew off her fingers. He blinked, quickly paying them more attention “Did you cut yourself?” he asked with concern. He patted his empty pockets hoping medical supplies had magically appeared.

“No.” she snapped. Voice whining, there were tears welling in her eyes but she tried to avoid Creeds' attention “It burns, do you have aloe?” Priscilla asked in a hush tone, leaning into Zeke.

“We're a team, right guys?” Creed asked, brow pinched together but Priscilla kept ignoring him, only reassured by Zeke's awkward smile in an attempt to be comforting.

Creed gave him a slight nod, turning to instead look out of the windshield, watching Ember's arm waving as she presumably spoke to Jake, her other hand clutching his jacket sleeve.

“This is bullshit!” was the only thing anyone was able to make out, something they all agreed with.

Despite having Ember shouting on the bike behind him Jake drove like a professional, weaving around trash in the streets with a practiced ease, his driving skill shown in the minute leans that allowed him to gracefully keep pace with Armella's more chaotic path ahead of him as she jerked back and forth to avoid larger debris and leaping infected.

The human like howls faded into the back drop as a different cry cut above them, Jake briefly wobbled on the bike, startled he jerked to the side but quickly regained control as something that could only be described as a screaming yowl split through the city. The few remaining birds flocked together and fled the area as the call rolled across the city blocks.

The feline sounding noise blared and sent a familiar shiver down their spines.

Another lion like growl sounded lower but closer this time and Armella slammed on the gas. Speeding forward faster than she thinks she's ever driven, Jake kept up but Charlene struggled, she didn't meet their speed, she kept slower, her heart racing so rapidly she felt like it'd give out if she went any faster.

Charlene didn't even know where they were going any more, she didn't pay attention to any street signs or even the buildings she passed. Not until the growling undead faded into the backdrop, until they out paced them completely.

Distant howls was all that remained.

The metropolis was desolate, these very streets were once bustling, the sidewalks seeing thousands of different feet a day, businesses booming with a constant revolving door of customers and tourists, the city was a masterful mix of older buildings sleek high rises, tall multi stories with rustic brick and mortar sidings and original doors and trim were blended in to the more recent, modern, constructions. Offices' that rose into the clouds, stadiums that could hold a towns worth of people to watch the latest sports champions fight it out, new cafes and store fronts, a massive state of the art hospital was across the street from a gorgeous old styled museum built hundreds of years ago.

They kept driving, moving through a neighborhood of condos. The streets were worse here, Debra shielded the eyes of her boys as they swerved past a sparse few bodies, then more clothes, and destroyed supplies.

Personal possessions were left abandoned in their yards or by open car doors, Debra closed her own eyes, unable to bear the sight of bloodied booster seats.

Tall up in the balconies were sheets painted with bold messy lettering, stained with: HELP. The sheet was torn, worn. Now being overtaken by ever growing vines. The bright red flowers that bloomed from the fabric caught the light in a brilliant, alluring display.

The car ride became silent, a somber tension in the air as they kept forward. Eventually leaving the suburb and returning to a more money focused side of town, lined with stores and restaurants on the newer side of the great city, closer to the hospital, to the highway, to evacuation.

Priscilla whined, she shook her hand trying to cool it. Her finger wrapped in wads of napkins to catch whatever blood remained.

Ewell's pale eyes kept flicking over to look at her hand, he swallowed nervously watching her fingers twitch and contract.

He squirmed in his seat, pressed against the car door with Zeke at his other side, Priscilla was next while Creed was pressed against the other door.

There was a wobble in his throat as he spoke softly “You okay?” he gestured vaguely towards her “Your, your arm... well...” his voice trailed until her flushed face suddenly locked on to him.

“What?” She snapped, voice cracking from pain as she tapped her feet trying to distract herself.

“It, it looks, um,” Ewell squirmed, he nervously tucked his curly hair behind his long left ear “D-Different?” he awkwardly murmured, trying to find the most neutral way to show his concern but it clearly didn't take as Priscilla turned two shades redder than her already flushed face was.

“Different?” she shouted, waving her arm but her elbow felt stiff, a jolt of pain running up her bicep and tweaking her neck. Her arm burned with a feverish itch, her nails running across her ashy skin she was trying to focus her bleary sight on Ewell's concerned expression “Not as different you-” “Priss!” Zeke scolded cutting her off briefly but she kept on, her voice broke, cracking into sobs “Go away!” she slammed her boots down onto the car floor “You're such a fucking jerk, you always do this!” she cried, she used one hand to frantically wipe her wet, itching, eyes that kept pouring down tears “Leave me alone!” she screamed, thrashing against Zeke as he attempted to calm her down to no avail.

“Calm down!” Charlene shouted but no one listened, Priscilla kept screaming, Zeke didn't know what to do well enough he just kept stammering as Priscilla swung her stiffly bent arm and nearly struck Ewell, Priscilla wailed as she sudden began coughing hard. Mixing between crying and gagging as panic and pain choked her, heat running to her head. She felt herself trembling and curled into her self hoping to force herself still.

Creed had his hands hovering by his chest, he didn't know what do to he wanted to reach out and grab Priscilla but he half expected that to make everything worse.

“Ewell?” Zeke whined unknowingly.

Ewell choked out an apology as he climbed into the back. Ewell scrambled over the middle section and into the trunk, pressing himself into a tight curl to avoid anyone's eye.

“What is going on?” came Charlene's commanding voice only to be drowned out by Priscilla's whines, Creed kept fussing, stammering, unable to come up with a reply for Charlene nor a comforting word for Priscilla. The stress of the day fried his brain and he couldn't even think of his own name. His mind just went blank. “Calm down you're going to make me crash!” she added trying to ease her harsh tone. She wasn't as successful as she wanted to be.

“Just leave me alone!” Priscilla shouted, she threw herself down on her side taking up the space Ewell used to occupy. Curling into the fetal position she hid her face, bunching her arms close to her chest and behind her knees.

They heard the animalistic roar blare again and Priscilla screamed.

“Priscilla?” Zeke called. Watching as she scratched her own arm red.

“Quiet!” her voice snapped, clutching her head as she shut her eyes “Please... You're giving me a headache.” she added, hardly audible over her own whimpering.

“Get some rest...” Zeke murmured, half hoping she didn't hear him but she still flinched at his voice. Zeke deflated. Falling back into the car seat in defeat. The passengers seemed to let out a collective sigh.

Charlene looked at the rear view mirror, at Creed's lost expression, then back to Armella's license plate. Drumming her fingers as she tried to refocus.

They were nearing a forty five minute mark when Armella flashed her lights in warning. Slowing almost to a stop before she turned down the street she and Sani had scouted the day before.

Zeke let his hand rest on Priscilla's shaking shoulder as Charlene watched the bikers turn, waiting a few seconds before she wanted to follow but a sudden tire screech kept her in place.

Ember's bike sped back, spinning around returning even faster than she followed Armella down that turn. Her heart sunk as Jake waved his arms frantically, he shouted something but Charlene couldn't hear it over the rev of their motorcycle and hum of her engine. Not through the closed glass of her driver's side window anyway.

They watched as Armella's vehicle did the same. Charlene just drove ahead a few more feet, she didn't turn the same way they did instead staying straight as she listed forward. Just easing past the bend allowing her to look down the corner. It was New Main Street, a place the Southern Pool Governor had been upgrading in recent years, most notably with a new stadium. Now the streets clearly faced a riot in the earlier days, when evacuations just began.

They were all used to seeing New Main packed but not like this.

Lines upon lines of infected bodies packed the streets, pouring from broken windows and meandering from open doorways they all had one thing in common. They were facing the direction of the sun, all of them were. A slight sway to their otherwise still bodies. Forms twisted with undying magic, a single glance would be all that was needed to tell the things weren't alive, wounds littering ragged bodies, bone and spindling vines protruding from sagging skin as they watched the sun.

Their dull eyes not even blinking as they absorbed the fiery warmth.

They were so densely packed the group couldn't even see the massive stadium sign across the block. Undead as far as they could see. Then one turned. Slowly. An infected Elven man stumbled on a broken leg unable to carry the lifeless weight anymore, it grumbled, moaning.

It was slow. No recognition on its face it held empty passivity as it jerked its head up, finally noticing Charlene's idling car.

It groaned. Forcing its torso to twist while its lagging limbs were rigid, as if rooted in place. Then it screamed.

The undead's howl echoed across the desolate streets until something somehow louder replied. Like a big cat's yowl. Not a mere second later the horde responded by breaking out into an overwhelming chorus of gargling shrieks and hungry growls.

Severing their lock on the sun with visible reluctance the undead spun so quickly some broke themselves.

Then it was chaos. The screeching undead suddenly barreled forward stomping over each other in a desperate attempt to reach the hatchback first.

Charlene wasted no time as she spun around, jumping as Priscilla's panicked shrieking joined the undeads' making both inside and outside nearly unbearably loud.

“Calm down!” Zeke exclaimed grabbing at Priscilla flailing limbs, he gasped, her skin was burning hot and he felt her forearm scratched bloody. His eyes frantically ran over her exposed injuries and felt himself grow sick, flush of panic rushed his head it looked like muscles were moving, slithering under her skin the thin lines rolled over her arm like coiled snakes before it disappeared under the thicker parts of her neck. Zeke could see the discolor in her veins, the sickly green tint etched into her causing an unnatural, gradual ombré that stained her skin an ill verdant. “What's wrong with your arm!” he exclaimed with a crack of fear in his voice.

“What did she cut herself on?” Creed asked, eyes wide as he watched Priscilla's sweating face further bundle into the crook of her pulsating arm, she tore into her lip as Creed broke away to look at the side window as an infected slammed against the door of the van. “Fuck!” he exclaimed in fear.

The corpses began to swarm the car as Charlene desperately tried to weave in and out of the way, dodging where she could but they were quickly covering all sides of her hatchback with blood and foliage.

“Just a stupid flower!” Zeke replied.

“I-I don't wanna be back here anymore!” Ewell cried out, pressing his back against middle seats.

“Shut up!” Priscilla wailed, forcing Zeke to yelp as she lashed out with a clawing hand, Zeke shouted curses trying to restrain her as Ewell slammed against the seats.

He was trying his hardest to get as far away from from trunk window as he could as what looked a wave of bodies chased after them, slamming fists and bark encased limbs against the trunk window trying to claw their ways towards Ewell before Charlene managed to spin, the back wheels locking up before the snap of bone freed it.

Barreling forward Charlene took a sharp turn, Ewell yelped as he was launched into the car interior as he and the other passenger's were tossed around. The pressure of Zeke bumping into her, despite being held back safely by the seat belt, made it feel like the bones in her body shattered and exploded, she felt every nerve light up inside her and the scream of agony she let out was louder than the roars outside. Zeke cried out her name as tears poured down his cheeks, she was thrashing against him with an expression quickly switching between furious and sobbing. Creed tried to move in to help but quickly felt the sole of her boot against his nose.

“Hells!” Creed cursed as he hit back against the middle door. Immediately he felt a hand slam into the glass behind his skull and he threw himself forward.

Monet was desperately handing over napkins from the glove box to Zeke, her voice stammered so much she couldn't make words but Charlene certainly could, she quickly wailed “Calm down!” again but the only response she got was a yelp of apology from Monet.

Zeke piled on the napkins, after working at the diner so long Charlene had plenty built up but Monet was swiftly going through them all, Monet was desperately trying not to cry instead she bit into her lip trying to force a different expression, she didn't want to show how close she was to breaking, or how deep she bit herself as she quickly adverted her gaze. Hiding from them even though all attention was on Priscilla as she continued writhing in the back seat.

Creed tried to help yet again, reaching towards Priscilla's arm, her nails torn into the napkins clean through to her flaying skin “Get it out!” she screamed scratching and scratching until her arm was red and raw.

“Pri stop!” Zeke pleaded but couldn't pull her arm back, instead Creed snatched up her wrist and pulled, stopping her from further skinning herself.

The roar of protest that Priscilla unleashed was unsettling to say the least. Her fight persisted, struggling against the helping hands that tried to stop her assault “Settle down!” Creed shouted and Zeke pleaded “Please!” but Priscilla didn't even acknowledge them.

The shouting and growling drowned out the quiet sobbing of Ewell in the back, Charlene swerved and dodged, tires screeching as she took another sharp turn following Jake's bike as well as she could, he took many side cuts, eventually even driving on the side walk just to avoid the lunging corpses who desperately wanted to raise their numbers, hopeful to add Jake and Ember to the collective.

Charlene could barely even see Armella's car anymore with how much faster she went, she felt Priscilla kick against the back of her seat and Charlene let out a screaming curse, furious, frustrated, fearful. A flood of feelings erupted in her as her slammed her foot down onto the gas pedal.

Her engine chugged in protest, a huff of black smoke expelled from the grill and Charlene exclaimed in worry, the hatchback shook but she held strong, Charlene was focused, she knew this vehicle front and back and she wasn't giving out just yet.

Faster. Faster. Wheels spinning over asphalt and crushing anything in their path and then, at this new blazing speed, she saw Armella's licenses plate.

They caught up. Finally. Charlene sucked in a breath and kept it in her throat, too scared to allow herself to sigh. She startled as Jake was suddenly at her side, appearing from an alley she skirted off to into the cyclist path narrowly dodging a wrecked pick up to avoid hitting him.

The bike nearly spun out, lowering dangerously close to the road but Ember jerked her body to shift their weight, she set them straight and shook and Jake's shoulders, Charlene couldn't tell if Ember was excited or furious.

She startled when the roaring of a feline beast sounded even closer than before. Tears stung her eyes. She shrieked in pain as Priscilla screamed like she was burning alive. The piercing noise stunned everyone, Monet and Ewell covered their ears but the other's were too occupied to shield themselves.

Priscilla lunged forward and tore into Zeke's arm, teeth tearing into his shirt sleeve he shouted out “Fuck, Priscilla!” he exclaimed as he shoved her back causing her to whine in pain, returning to her crumbled pose, shaking and twisting as they tried to hold her down.

Monet exclaimed in fright.

Ewell forced his teary eyes open and looked out the back window once again, he chanced a breath of relief when he saw the starving horde falling far behind them. Then the front runners left his sight as Charlene turned hard to the right sending him back against the wall with a dizzying slam.

Zeke whimpered, he bled from small marks he quickly tried to hide.

“Damn it!” Charlene hit against her wheel as the hatchback chugged, slowing for a mere second before it sped back up after Jake, she briefly looked down at the flashing meters and icons on her dash then back up, they were speeding towards a final turn until they got to the main arts street crossroads. Her body nearly froze when she heard that yowl again, piercing through the windows like they weren't even there, like the thing was right beside her, her body wanted to shut down but she forced herself back in control.

She watched Jake's bike turn and she gripped the wheel ready to follow him.

She heard it before she saw it. Twisting metal and screeching tires. She turned the corner and saw the sudden end of a crash, two sleek black cars, she gasped as Armella's car slammed into a light post nearly tearing electrical wires out of the concrete as the hood wrapped around the pole.

The other spun out, out of control it whirled around and around until it came to a violent stop against long abandoned parked car on the sidewalk, the speed of the impact sent them both into the building behind it, crushing bricks and exploding the large sales pane at the front.

She snapped her eyes away from the crash but the only thing that she saw through her windshield was fur and weeds.

Pain shot through her neck as the sudden force of the whiplash hit, the hatchback slammed hard into a massive creature sending it skidding down the street, the force of the impact toppled them, rolling the car over and alongside the matted beast.

Glass shattered.

The seat belt kept her and Monet in place but everyone else was thrown violently through the air. They felt the sting as fractured bits of windshield cut their skin, they barreled past the other crashed vehicles, the hatch back beeped as the trunk was ripped open, Ewell was the first ejected before they could even realize he was gone, before the car even came to a stop. Wheels facing the sky.

It somehow felt like the longest moment of his life, like everything was slow, watching Priscilla latch onto Zeke with clawing hands, watching the orange curls of Charlene's that he loved so dearly turn red, but then it felt like it was only an instant as Creed cracked his head on the panic bar and his vision went white.

Then it all ended. Dragging metal against concrete it slowed until it hit the edge of the street corner, sliding up the sidewalk finally the hatchback came to a stop, straining against a fire hydrant not quite yet leaking.

The crossroads went silent. Only Jake's bike made noise as they circled back around, voices unheard as only static and ringing filled their ears.

Jake's boot slammed against the road and before he could turn the key to cut the engine Ember leapt off. She ran forward towards Ewell, he was far from the crash and unmoving almost directly in the center of the crossroads.

“Shit, shit, shit,” she repeated “C'mon little buddy, fuck, what was your name?” Ember's voice frantically muttered, she looked around as fast as she could, she could hear noises from every side of the city and her heart pounded in her chest. Growls. Groans. Calling of the lost desperate to find life. Ember refused the sting of tears in her eyes and blinked hard.

She crouched down, one knee on the concrete her hands hovered over the boy. Then she looked up. The breath left her throat as the mass of vine tangled fur twitched. It began to move.

“Em!” Jake exclaimed in a sort of shout whisper. Trying and failing to get her attention.

Struggling to stand the beast began rise, it was a Woolcat, a thickly woolen lion like creature with splitting horns and tri tipped tail, a mountain born creature bred for sheering or used for the ever popular endurance races, it held bovine features but had the face of a starving feline.

Claws protruded from blood matted curls as it managed to stand tall, towering over the wrecked hatch back with an unnaturally bulging body, too tall, too thick, engorged with plant matter leaves fell from its mouth like saliva as dull, lifeless eyes, turned to focus on Ember.

The blown out pupils thinned, turning into jagged black slits as tails rose, focus locking onto a target.

Jaw broken it hung wide open, crouching low it moved into a prowl with a low growl. Ember startled, Jake was suddenly at her side as he wrapped his arms around her shoulders “Hush.” he shushed, praying the thing only saw movement, Jake's gaze flicked between Ewell's crumbled form and the drooling beast, It flared Its nostrils. Smelling. Searching. Lifting Its head as it took in the scent of the decaying city around them.

He was about to start to inch them back when the passenger's door of the hatchback opened. Creed gasped as he threw himself back, crawling out on his backside scrambling out he couldn't take his eyes off of the sight in front of him. He didn't even realize the beast beside him was there, he didn't hear Jake call out to him, all he could process was Priscilla's broken body tearing into Zeke's lifeless midsection, the color in her eyes had drained and she had the same blown out pupils of the infected.

Clawing hands shoveled gore into her mouth when she wasn't choking up petals. She turned. She was one of them.

Creed couldn't even feel his own tears pouring down his cheeks which joined the streams of blood that soaked into his short trimmed extended goatee.

The beasts' attention turned, locking onto Creed as he exited from the wreck, still he hadn't even noticed. Until Jake screamed.

“Hey pussy!” Jake was suddenly on his feet, jumping up and down as he waved his arms, clearly trying to get the monster's attention which quickly worked.

Off yellow fur blackened by gore and green sludge shifted, rustling and standing on end the infected Woolcat lowered Its head before releasing a disorienting roar.

The piercing noise could shatter weak windows if there were any left.

“Jake!” Ember cried out, her voice broke as he ran off to the side distancing himself from her and the injured boy.

“Get the kid!” he added before calling out again “C'mon kitty!” waving frantically, taking a brief look at Ember. He studied her face. If this was the last time he saw it he sure as Hells wanted to remember it.

Her Draconic scales were nearly the same red as the fresh blood that ran down her angled cheekbones.

It compacted Its body ready to pounce as Ember bellowed out her protests. Then it stopped. As if someone pressed a pause button the beast didn't move at all, completely still the hanging vines didn't even sway in the wind.

The large once fluffy mane that covered Its neck and chest pulsated, suddenly splitting open like a blooming flower with jagged, bone like protrusions jutting forward like hungry teeth, roots like sinew holding peeling flesh to what used to be a skeleton, now mostly replaced by bark and heartwood.

Only it wasn't facing Jake anymore.

Across the street a car door opened. The driver's door. Sani staggered out of the damaged black rental with a hand on his bald head.

The Woolcat's eyes held more than the rest, focus rather than unaimed hunger, Its head jerked towards that black car and the scream it emitted almost sounded like a woman's cry. In an instant it was past Creed and charging towards Sani who quickly locked himself back in his car the second he heard that noise.

Charlene yelped as she unlocked her seat belt and hit roof of the car, she heard wet squishing noises behind her but couldn't focus much on anything other than her pounding head and sore neck. She gasped in a few breaths trying to settle herself when she looked up.

“Monet!” she exclaimed, crawling over the shattered glass and bloodied debris in the car she scrambled to the other side where Monet hung unconscious.

Still seat belted she was limply swaying, fingers twitching as Charlene reached out to her and knocked into her forearm, missing her hand as she tried to get closer.

“Char.” Creed's hollow voice called.

When she craned her neck painfully to look his way she saw it out of the corner of her eye. Priscilla's infected face painted red and eating with content.

Her wide eyes met Creed's as he gestured for her to back up.

Charlene swallowed her sobs and nodded, slowly crawling back towards the driver's door. Creed tried to ignore the sounds of the monster gnawing at the metal of Sani's rental and dragged himself to the passenger's door, his whole body felt so heavy yet so numb, he could hardly feel the street below him or the metal in his hand as he pulled again at the door handle.

It finally tore open, the doors thankfully not nearly as damaged as the crushed front, the headlights were gone. Pressed in and compact it looked like they hit a steel wall rather than a beast.

“Monet,” Creed called as he struggled to lean in close enough to unbuckle her “C'mon Mo wake up.” he added before he yelped, hand running over shattered glass he cut his palm anbd with that new injury it was like everything hit him at once. He was now acutely aware his leg was broken.

His limb burned, the ache he felt spread all the way up his thigh even to his hip. He did his best to ignore it, it wasn't the first time he broke a leg but it didn't make it any better, he grit his teeth and forced himself forward, the break was low, maybe even his ankle. All he knew was it hurt like hell and he wasn't going to be running any marathons, he glanced back towards the massive Woolcat trying to eat Its way through the metal and worried if he'd ever run again. Charlene's voice drew him out of the dark lump forming in his chest as she kicked open the driver's door with a halfhearted cheer of relief.

The car that Armella was driving chugged, the engine attempting to start but the sudden plume of black smoke that burst from the engine wasn't a good sign, nor was the flames that soon followed.

Creed felt Monet's fingers gently tug at his shoulder. He startled, not enough to draw the infected Priscilla's attention but enough to cause her to speak “Char...?” her voice whined.

“Shush!” Creed quietly hushed her, he slammed his uncut palm against the belt clip over and over trying to unstick the jammed lock.

Monet moaned in pain.

Her senses began to return and as she blinked her bleary vision clear she realized where she was, upside down. Monet started screaming. Flailing stiff arms in panic.

“Quiet! Quiet!” Creed exclaimed before grunting as the full weight of Monet suddenly crushed him, she fell from the passenger's seat and collapsed Creed under her.

“Fuck!” he cried out unable to stop the yelp from leaving his lips. Then they heard the snarl.

The infected, the Cress, that used to be Priscilla looked up, snapping hungry eyes towards them as if was starving, as if she wasn't just stuffing her face. Bits of flesh still in her stiffening fingers.

“Oh Gods Zeke!” Monet choked out before she began to sob, seeing the remains of them both, “Priscilla...” she gagged, grief and fear choking her, but before the infected lunged to them Charlene gripped Creed's unbroken leg and pulled.

Yanking both Creed and Monet from the car she kicked the door shut right as infected Priscilla slammed against it, trying to press through what remained of the window.

Monet was inconsolable as she sobbed, crawling towards Charlene before collapsing in her arms. Charlene used one hand to comfort Monet while running the other over Creed's head. She bit her lip, trying to stop the tears in her own eyes. Infected Priscilla slowly lost interest and returned to feast on what used to be her best friend.

Charlene couldn't look and kept her eyes shut. Then she exclaimed.

Charlene startled as she felt a hand on her back, she felt the sting of pain as her neck craned up but she heard a voice before she saw his face “Let's get you up!” Jake said, he patted her, suddenly bringing them back to reality as the sounds of the encroaching undead filled their senses, the horde marching towards the Woolcat's call Jake didn't want to stick around to see them appear “Come on come on! Get up,” then he looked around quickly “Where's the other two?” he asked unable to see Zeke nor Priscilla leave the vehicle.

“Gone.” Charlene choked out, she forced herself to her feet and dragged Monet with her. Allowing Jake to take Creed's weight as he leaned heavily against his side, Creed hooked an arm around his neck and let him do the work his broken leg couldn't.

“Thanks.” Creed's voice ghosted in exhaustion.

“Can you drive a motorcycle?” Jake asked after he shook his head. Trying to force the moment on, move on. On the next goal. On getting out of here. They could only wait and mourn later.

“Huh?”

“Can you drive a motorcycle!”

“Yeah? Fuck, uh, probably? Why?” before Creed could even process it he felt a pair of keys shoved in his hands.

“We'll meet you at the museum okay?” Jake said, he was trying force a smile but his thick lips wavered. For once Creed noticed Jake's rather short tusks as he tried to focus on the other man's face, tried to hear his words.

“Huh?” Creed repeated.

The engine of Armella's car blew and sent the entire vehicle a few feet into the sky. Stumbling they all suddenly looked towards it and saw every passenger outside.

The whole Day family, Steve in Phil's arms and Bill in Debra's, with Armella at their side all fleeing from the explosion.

They look dazed, bruised, but not too injured by first glance.

“Hey!” Jake shouted and drew their attentions right as he got to Ember's side.

Ember was shaking Ewell to no avail, Charlene briefly looked down at him, part of his body was raw from road rash with one of his thin white horns snapped off and no where to be seen, his eyes were shut but she could tell he was alive. Unconscious rather than dead.

“Oh Gods,” Charlene gasped “Is he-” “Alive.” Ember curtly interrupted as she dragged Ewell up into her arms, lugging him along she found it surprisingly easy.

Ewell whimpered into Ember's arm but he didn't wake.

“Go, go go.” Ember insisted as they all ran towards the motorcycle.

“Creed you take the kids, okay?” Jake said as he pushed him towards the bike, flinching as the Woolcat screeched in protest, furious as it scraped and scratched at the car. Rocking the sleek vehicle back and forth.

“Huh?” Creed murmured yet again.

“What?” Ember snapped, looking over at Jake as he tried to settle Creed on the bike.

Jake turned his convincing grin to Ember, he smiled warmly and it drew her in so easily “It'll be okay.” he said, and she couldn't help but feel safe when in his gaze, reluctantly she nodded, agreeing as she waved the injured over with a shrug.

“Take'em.” Ember said as she ushered Ewell into Creed's arms.

“Charlene?” Creed called, he felt like everything was moving so fast he didn't understand a thing, then he felt her kiss, Charlene gripped the sides of his face and dragged him close, hard.

“The museum, okay? We'll meet you there.” she assured, pulling back to look into his eyes.

“No-” “Baby you're not running anywhere, we can,” she said moving away to gently adjust Ewell, settling him against Creed's chest, she tucked his injured cheek against Creed's jacket and watched too much blood quickly soak into the fabric, she swallowed, looking up and away from his marred face “We'll meet you there. Promise.” she finished with another quick kiss to his forehead.

“Take the kids.” Debra's plea came from beside them “Please.” she said pushing her son towards him. Bill was sobbing but Steve wasn't making a sound, she then looked to Charlene “We'll run with you.” she said with a sudden smile.

Charlene nodded. Another look to Creed as Debra settled her two sons onto the bike in front of Ewell, Creed reached around the three of them and hugged them close “I better see you there.” he said as Bill gripped his arm, holding tightly.

“I love you.” Creed said before he moved to drive.

Charlene watched the bike drive away, down the empty street. She turned around with a growing lump in her throat, staring down the street where the shadows of infected turned solid. Two of the streets flooded with the bodies of root bloated Veriyn, all charging towards the crossroads.

Jake, Ember, Phil, Armella, Monet, and Debora all stood around her staring towards the encroaching infected or towards the massive feline tearing at Sani's car.

“You said the museum?” Ember blubbered staring forward but speaking to Jake who quickly nodded yes in response.

“What about Sani?” Armella murmured but before she even finished speaking the group ran towards the arts district, the gorgeous museum far on the end of it.

Armella swallowed her guilt and ran after them, she had a slight limp as she staggered, forcing her to trail behind.

Charlene slowed, gasping, her chest burned as she struggled in breaths, the pit in her gut made her body feel tight. She let Phil take the lead, Monet and Debra were nearly at pace with herself with Ember and Jake right behind them.

Armella was falling further back. The roar of the Woolcat put a bit more pep into her step, the clacking of her heels growing louder as she sped up, now nearing arms length to Jake's billowing jacket.

She startled as someone suddenly sprinted past her.

Armella watched Sani run by, his footsteps drowned out by another heart pounding roar from behind them, he ran past Ember and nearly shoved passed the others. He was in front of Phil when she realized what was behind her.

The infected Woolcat barreled forward, stumbling over broken limbs with no care to the further damage it caused to exposed bone and dragging flesh. Snapping teeth and sharp edges grew ever closer and Armella screamed, a brief and fear filled bellow before she snapped her gaze forward instead.

Sani ducked into an alleyway, disappearing into the thin space between two tall art galleries.

Phil passed by the alley and Debra nearly followed him but he skid to a stop, instead he snatched her arm and followed Sani.

That's all it took for all the rest of them to do the same.

Armella felt a gust of wind rustle her hair as the Woolcat's claws narrowly missed her, right as she entered the thin alley It swiped and thrashed after her but It couldn't fit Its massive form into the small entrance, scraping the skin from its shoulders as it tried and failed to force Itself after them. Howling and screaming in protest as the beast lodged Itself in the mouth of the alley.

Armella cried out, looking back briefly at the snapping maw and twitching claws. With a bellow of anger the creature dragged Itself out, leaving matted hair and leaf scrapings on the brick outer walls. Then it was gone. They could hear it move but they couldn't see it, not that any of them were really looking anymore.

All focused forward, following Sani and Phil.

Sani took a right and the group followed, dodging out of the way of trash bags and abandoned, mostly empty, boxes. A head of them was the street but the alley forked once more just up ahead.

A bullet fired as the right fork suddenly flooded with undead, Phil took a shot and a single Cress hit the ground. They were forced to take a sudden turn, sprinting as as fast they could down the thin pathways as countless reanimated bodies kept on their heels, the cacophonous growls and screaming were only drowned out for a mere second as the ringing from the gunshot faded, over taken by another furious call of the Woolcat. The beast still desperately searched for a way to get at them, seeking out a wider alley.

The group cried out different commands and questions but the conversations never went beyond a single frantic reply chain, new questions over took the repeated ones as Ember's voice snapped over Phil's, and Monet's cry faded under Charlene's inquiries.

“Shut the Hells up!” Sani bellowed over all of them “We'll hide in that museum!” he added as if it was his idea, voice shifting between frustration and fury.

Puddles splattered under their feet as Sani took another turn, the infected corpses grasping towards them extended their vine encased hands, the thin natural tendrils lashing out of them hoping to hook one like a fish. Others ran jaw first, jutting out awkwardly.

“Keep going!” Charlene exclaimed.

They kept running, Charlene watched Phil take another left but when she turned to look back her voice froze in her throat, there was Armella, hung by a stretched, broken, neck.

Vines that seemed to never end poured from a creature tangled in the fire escapes, roots like spiderwebs latched onto anything near by, eventually growing across the power line that connect to the building opposite of it. It used to be a person, stomach split open as organs moved, coiling like ferns. Eventually the flesh turned into plant matter and joined the vines that made the hang man's noose.

Charlene stumbled, nearly falling over as the horde pooled around Armella's hovering body and ripped into her lifeless legs, crawling over each other like ants up a hill.

Monet grabbed Charlene before she managed to collapse, dragging her forward without looking back, she just whimpered, her sight unclear from the tears that flooded from her uncontrollably. All she could do was follow the blurry forms of Phil and that fancy suit; Sani.

Charlene could only hold on to the hope of seeing Creed again. She would focus on the desire to see his face and that would be all she would need.

They ducked down the alley, most of them unable to even process their losses, they erupted from the alleyway and back into the streets, roars came from the right of them and more infected came rushing after them, from behind in the alley and the others from the cross. Hearts pounding and eyes searching they saw to their left, they were just one street away from the museum.

The slamming footfalls of her companions filled her ears as they immediately took on running, Monet and Charlene were unsure who was dragging who by this point but they kept close and fast, refusing to let one another go.

Charlene saw in the midst of the parking parking lot, in the disarray of cars and left behind gear, was Jake's motorcycle. Stood up and parked, by what seemed to be a path to the museums' side entrance. She assumed. She had to.

She knows Creed. She knew he'd get the other's there safe, he'd be there waiting for her. He had to be.

0