Chapter 8: Mr. Decker’s Changes of Plans
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I'm sorry for the late post!

 

The fog had caught up with them, rolling over the clearing the caravan survivors had overtaken. The group had mostly circled to the middle of the hastily parked cars, hushed conversations trying to remain outside of the children's earshot. Arlene and Nancy were sat off to the side, they were tending to Iona's parents and the younger group members. Ella-Mae had been removed from the SUV but Ford was nowhere to be seen, most likely still in the vehicle with his sister, who was now silent.

Ralph had sequestered himself into his truck, both doors shut to ignore the group. Despite voices being low, worried, and strained they still didn't hear the rustling of foliage around them, thankfully for them it was only their scouts, Bonnie and Wyatt, returning with that familiar drifter Dominic between them.
Wyatt led them forward with a look of mischievous amusement while Bonnie strolled behind them both. Keeping an eye on Dominic and their surroundings.

Wyatt took very little time in scoping out Cooper, seeing that blue knit cap was easy enough, so was the plump pink bubble vest Penelope wore, who always seemed near him since they picked her and her mother up in the early days of their pilgrimage, the search to better lands. Safe from the undead, however, the further they got the stranger it all seemed.
Wyatt would never look at nature the same way again.

Wyatt pulled himself from the sudden tangent, nearly stumbling from the whiplash of his thoughts. He went back to Cooper and found his face, head down looking closely at the words in the book as his finger traced the page, he took his eyes off the novel for less than a second just to see Penelope's face. He wore an excited grin, one Wyatt hoped would get even bigger as he called out "Hey Coops!" with a tone that almost sounded excited himself.
Dominic rose his brow, quickly following Wyatt's eye line.

Cooper shot up and exclaimed "Wyatt!" with a fondness on his face that made something in Dominic tweak. As Cooper ran to them Wyatt cocked his head, gesturing towards Dominic which caused Cooper to freeze.
His face went through a rapid change of emotions before he simply burst forward and threw himself into Dominic's chest.
He cried out "Dad!" trying to hold back tears, Nancy startled, she stood up with a start and approached as Cooper suddenly leapt back, breaking away from Dominic he stammered out "Sorry, Sir." but he couldn't stop the wavering of his lips, excitement, disbelief, Cooper was so quickly overwhelmed with feelings he just stiffened up.

"Cooper?" Dominic muttered as if his eyes were lying to him. His son. Alive. He almost couldn't believe it. He took a step and grabbed him, pulling him into a tight hug proving to himself that he was real, solid.
He hugged him tightly, his coat squishing under Dominic's hold.

"Dominic?" Nancy called, her voice was like a bucket of cold water bearing poured on his head. He looked over to see her face and a flood of memories and emotions hit him like a tidal wave, a stuttering breath left his throat as he stood up.
He blinked and suddenly it was like those two years that separated them never happened.

She crossed her arms protectively around her chest, subconsciously putting up defenses she gave him a quick look over, a scoff left her, amusement or annoyance he couldn't tell. "You're alive?" she spoke, baffled.

"Yeah." he replied, just as bewildered "I've been looking-" he stopped as she approached and hugged him. Her warmth, her smell, the feel of her thin arms around him, it brought him back. Before they divorced. When he thought they were a happy, loving, family. Cooper was against the both of them now, nearly squeezing to hide in-between them.

"Is that Decker?" came Arlene's call. Walking over to them as Iona dropped her arms in frustration, the group who had been listening to her broke away to different commotions.

Nancy nodded as she stepped back. Pulling away from Dominic to address her best friend. Arlene clearly didn't hold the same range of emotions as the others, she looked inquisitive at best, scornful at worst.

"I knew you were alive!" Cooper shouted in joy as he practically vibrated. He looked between his parents with a beaming expression "I knew he got out of Adambury," he spun around to look up at Wyatt, then pouted, he and Bonnie were gone "Wyatt?" he called, searching.

"Cooper." his father's voice drew his attention and Cooper quickly spoke back "Yes Sir?" he replied looking towards him expectantly.
Dominic smiled. His boy was the same at least.

"I guess we should introduce you," Nancy said with slight reluctance, rubbing her arms up and down her clothed biceps "But you met most everyone here before. Do you remember them?" she asked, tilting her head towards Arlene. Her best friend since pre school.

"No." Dominic replied defensively, as if he was almost offended she asked.

"I didn't think so." Nancy sighed out.

"I was the maid of honor at your wedding, asshole." Arlene snapped. She tugged gently at Nancy as Dominic rolled his eyes, attempting to pull her back to the group but Nancy refused to leave her son.

Cooper gestured towards the van and smiled "Wanna meet Penelope?" he asked, face bright.

“Penelope?” Dominic asked, tilting his head briefly before looking up, another woman stormed forward.

“Hello?” Iona was shouting, waving a hand in agitation as she gestured back towards the car “Are we forgetting about our very serious situation?” then she made a wide, exasperated gesture across the lot of them “Who in the Hells in this?” she turned trying to spy out Wyatt, or Bonnie “Do we not have scouts for a reason? What?” then she turned back to face Arlene and Nancy “Fronie is unconscious, Ford is still in shock, and now we have vagabonds strolling about as they please.” she grumbled, crossing her arms to keep herself still. Even then her foot tapped restlessly.

“She wasn't at our wedding.” Dominic attempted a joke, glancing over at Nancy who just shook her head.

“No, this is Iona, she's the one who's been making the plans that's kept us alive.” Nancy replied plainly, her expression growing cold, as if they could see her putting up walls in real time, swallowing dryly she introduced “This is my ex-husband Dominic .” pointing towards Dominic “He's also Cooper's father.” she added, awkwardly clarifying.

Cooper spun around at the sound of his name, looking up at his parents, a strange feeling rushing through him at seeing them side by side, like a tight warmth. He reached towards his father's hand but stopped just shy of his stained sleeve “Sir?” he called. Dominic looked down at him and saw Cooper pointing, there was a small group, an elderly couple and a woman and her daughter.

Dominic strolled past Iona's inquisitive skepticism and Arlene's glare, he followed his son as his eyes rolled over the group in front of him, Bonnie had broken off, checking on Ford and Fronie with a bundle of blankets in her arms.
Wyatt was on the opposite side of their 'camp', slapping at Ralph's thick boot trying to make space for himself in the trunk front.

Dominic snickered as Ralph suddenly kicked into Wyatt's chest and let out a chuckle, knocking him back with a stumble. His attention was drawn back by his son's voice, it struck him how clear it was. It's been too long since he's seen his boy in person and hearing him cleanly, clearly, right beside him and not on the other end of a county's worth of phone lines made his heart warm.
He missed his voice, smiling with pride as he heard his boy praise him “I knew my dad was gonna make it!” he beamed, reaching down to gently tug at Penelope's sleeve “I told you if anyone could find him it was Wyatt, he's the best hunter ever!” Cooper tittered as he began to drag Penelope forward, though she didn't seem to mind, her mother however followed as her brow pinched, curiosity and worry on her pale face as she nervously looked Dominic up and down.

Dominic gave her an awkward wave, like he was greeting another parent he didn't know at the school drop off, she didn't return the gesture, instead her hands fell to Penelope's shoulders “Hello.” Dixie greeted, stopping Penelope from getting any closer.

Penelope shyly looked up at him, large monolid eyes blinking the worry away “Hi.” she said with the smallest wave, then she inched a bit behind Cooper, hiding almost but she looked up, craning her neck to meet her mothers eye seeking approval.

“She's your new friend?” Dominic asked, trying and somewhat failing to lighten his gruff voice.

“Yeah!” Cooper exclaimed while Penelope nodded yes.

“Who's this?” Renáta asked, following as Arlene and Nancy stepped towards them, Iona moved to speak with her parents, aiming to check on the twins after.

Before Nancy was able to reply to Renáta Arlene spoke before her mouth could even open “Nance's ex.” she gave him a loose wave up and down “Dominic.” she finished unenthusiastically.

“Nice to meet you. I'm Renáta.” Renáta said, offering her hand. Long fingers together and bent slightly forward.

Dominic grew a small smirk as he took her offer and shook her hand “You aren't from around here. Clearly.” he complimented but Renáta didn't really know how to take it, she gave a wavering smile back, a bit unsure but plenty polite “Have you all been surviving on the road?” he asked in bewilderment, looking around the makeshift camp “How have you managed that?” he asked looking between everyone he could see.

“With Iona's plans,” Nancy said as she arrived at his side before moving to be closer to Cooper “And the rest of us helping each other.” she tried to spy out the two scavengers, their group's best fighters, a pair of reliable people she really cared for but never had the best luck in finding. Neither of them were in her eye line, she settled back to looking at him “Wyatt's hunting has padded our food supply and Bonnie has watched our backs at every turn, we've all been working together. As a team.” she finished sternly.

“What about you? Have you been alone this whole time?” Renáta asked, stepping in the circle towards Arlene.

Dominic blinked in realization. Finding his family, meeting the strangers, all of his original plans and goals were out the window. He had to think. It took him a brief second to recall why he was here in the first place “No,” he replied, shaking his head “I have a group waiting for me, I took our truck but it crapped out on me a few miles back.” he turned, gesturing towards the woods they came from, to the East towards the larger cities “I was looking for supplies, or a way back, when the damned undead spotted me. So now I'm here.” Dominic's voice began to trail, really taking in the scenery.

“You have another group?” Nancy asked suddenly.

Dominic nodded “They're waiting for me to return.” he nodded towards the cars, all the different vehicles hastily parked around them “You don't have a place to stay, do you? Have you been sleeping in the cars?” he asked.

“Or rest stops, just places we've stopped for the night.” Renáta added. Nodding with a wave trying to find agreeing faces. Dixie murmured “Yes.” almost as if she was embarrassed but Nancy and Arlene gave reluctant nods.

“We've been held up in a ranch house back East, it's just a trashed hayfield place but we've managed there for a couple days.” Dominic stated with a brief wave.
As he spoke Cooper ran towards his backpack that was left by Dixie's van door, he quickly began digging through it as he shouted towards Mr and Mrs Stokes in excitement, he looked up with a beaming grin to Ella-Mae and she returned the smallest smile they've seen on her yet.

“How big is the place? I mean, we have fourteen people here.” Arlene asked with a swift gesture “We don't want to show up just to be turned away.” she added sharply, trying to keep a tough look every time she looked towards Dominic, a sneer, sometimes she'd forget or let the look linger too long. She seemed overwhelmed.

“Look around, we're in the middle of forests and hick farmsteads. It's not a hotel.” Dominic replied curtly, almost matching her disapproving expression.

“That doesn't answer my question.”

“You might have to triple up, but, no one's getting thrown out.” he said, almost like a scoff “Though by the looks of some folk here you'd probably prefer your cars,” with a forced accent his eyes wandered, past Ella-Mae and Cooper, towards Bonnie who was in the process of scolding the McKinley brothers for the umpteenth time “We also have a barn.” he finished with a faint smirk.

Arlene's glare narrowed.

“Sir?” Cooper called, appearing at Dominic's side again, clutching the thick book to his chest as he stared up at his father.

“It's just been me and a few others, we haven't taken up the whole place.” Dominic continued, inadvertently leaving Cooper unnoticed as Iona came walking back over, he met her cold eyes and cocked his head “We'll have to back track a bit, get closer to the highway.” he looked back to Nancy instead “Think that's better than cars?” he asked.

“What?” Iona huffed, looking between the group who all had different expressions. Nancy just shook her head.

“Sir!” Cooper called louder. He looked back and forth “Dad?” he added quieter.

“Not now,” Dominic spoke without even thinking, he didn't even seem to realize he said anything at all as the conversation continued “I think it's safer than aimlessly driving to nowhere.” he then glanced back to Iona “Or were you going somewhere?” it wasn't his intention but he clearly offended Iona as she scoffed, dropping her head to rub her temple gently.

“Mom?” Cooper called and she gently patted his head, listening to Iona as she spoke.

“Staying in one place isn't necessarily safe either, we've been seeing stranger and stranger creatures the longer this infection has been going on, it might end up worse if we stick around.” Iona retorted, arms crossed “We've seen moose explode, people fusing with trees for the Gods' sake, I think the longer we stay the weirder things are going to get. Look what happened to the Great Bridge, they're gone, a million people, gone, because they couldn't leave. Couldn't move on.” Iona looked over towards the other women, Arlene, Nancy, and Dixie, hoping for some back up. Renáta was busy mimicking the cross of her arms, though Renáta tried to cover the cut in her shirt, fabric still red but the wound underneath was dressed.

“I don't know,” Nancy huffed, curling into herself as the chilled wind ran across her and sent a shiver down her spine “Having a bed to sleep in sounds really nice.” she joked halfheartedly, growing and then losing a smile.

Cooper huffed. Stuffing the book under his arm he turned and stormed off.

“We might have to spend a night in the cars before we make it to my truck.” Dominic said.

“Oh, so we're going now?” Iona grumbled.

“Don't you think it'll be nice?” Asked Dixie, looking between Arlene and Iona, who both seemed very far from convinced.

“Sure but to go, what, two days off track, just for some beds?” Arlene said, shaking her head not so lightly.

“Yeah, I don't think so.” Iona shifted her weight, she briefly looked down nudging a rock with her shoe, she was feeling unsure, her mind still felt like it was racing as she tried to figure out their next move, calculating having injured, all the gas it'll take to back track, the food, water, everything they didn't get enough of in Mallten. She worried her teeth against her lip. “I think it's best to keep moving.” she finished, adjusting the cross of her arms.

“Or,” Dominic started “You could meet my group.” he said with a minor smile “You all don't have to stay.” he said gesturing with an open palm towards her. Iona didn't like his choice of words, she rolled her eyes.

“Right, maybe we just rest a few days?” Dixie added, she looked over at Renáta and waved at her for help “We've been on the road for so long having a good night's rest would be nice.” she then looked down at Penelope who remained by her side but was looking elsewhere. “Penelope hasn't had a solid eight hours since all of this happened.” Dixie said but Penelope had her attention shifting between Ella-Mae's sullen expression and Cooper approaching Wyatt and Bonnie.

“I was never a fan of tight spaces. Sleeping in these cars has been a nightmare.” Renáta said with a forced laugh, she then cleared her throat, lowering her head just a bit as the feeling of awkwardness set in.

“So Decker shows up with some half assed plan and we're all just going to jump on it? Why? Because this asshole said so?” Arlene snapped, the tension on her strained face only worsened as her arms trembled in their tight cross, her judgmental stare met all the other women's eyes.

“Language!” Dixie snapped before she quickly shooed Penelope away, her voice was near furious as was her expression when she turned back to glare at Arlene, making her annoyance ever more apparent.

“You don't like him, do you?” Renáta attempted humor, with an upturned brow and twitching smile.

“Why would I?” Arlene dropped her arms with a shout. She clearly had much more to say but Dominic quickly cut her off, he brought his arms to his side and shook his head “You're still jealous over Nancy moving aren't you?” he said with a sigh.

Arlene's face scrunched in offense “Ohh!” she huffed, growling almost as she shook her hand “No-” “So you only don't like the plan because Dominic brought it up?” Dixie asked. Unintentionally cutting her off.

“I don't like the plan and I just met him.” Iona added, her voice dry but they think she was trying to make a joke. Hopefully.

“I think it's a better plan than what you've been coming up with.” Dixie snapped, angry, just wanting to yell about something. She waved her arms up before throwing them back down. “This whole situation has been one bad thing after the next, it would be good for us, for the kids, to have a place to settle.” her voice came through her grit teeth with too much effort. Almost whistling as she spoke.

“The dead are walking, corpses are fusing with nature, you really think we need to settle down?” Iona asked before shaking her head “No, I think we should keep moving, the colder it is the less plants are going to grow.” then she gestured off north, to the massive mountains of Aryt Drak. Even though they were hundreds of miles away the impressive spires were clearly seen on the horizon, snow capped peaks reached towards the clouds in a majestic but cold way, unfeeling, a sense of uncaring danger followed the beauty of the landscape. “That was the plan, wasn't it?” she asked rhetorically, scoffing almost. She felt as if she was going crazy, the stress of an injured Fronie, leading the group, and now the sudden feeling of being usurped hit her like a ton of bricks and she was struggling to keep her composure.

The others around her, the people who agreed with her plan before, now all gave her awkward glances or looked away completely, avoiding her gaze guilty.

“Your plans are great Iona, I think we all just want to sleep in a bed for a night.” Nancy appeased, or tried to, looking at her with slight shame on her face, she didn't want to upset Iona but the ache in her back was beginning to be too much. “We can stay a day or two, then we'll keep moving.” she added.

“We need a break.” Dixie huffed.

“I don't think the world is going to just give us a break because we want one,” Iona replied and Arlene nodded in agreement, she herself was about to storm off, sick of the arguments. “I'm sorry I just don't think it's safe.” Iona was shifting her stance again, the look on her face was constipated and flighty “Do we really want to risk our lives for beds?” her voice trailed.

“We've been there a good few days, we fortified the place, it's not the shanty it was before we got there.” Dominic remarked.

“See?” Dixie gestured towards Dominic but was looking at Iona “Please, it'll be good for morale,” she then turned and deftly gestured towards Mr and Mrs Stokes and Penelope “It might help Ruth's health too.” Dixie added, offhandedly.

Iona blinked in shock, biting down harder on her lip. She followed her nod and watched her mother fanning herself with her hand, sitting in her car, door open with her legs hung outside.
“Fine.” she relented. Looking back towards the group “But we are not staying longer than we have to. I want to end up someplace I know is safe, not a place he referred to as a shanty.”

“I said it was a shanty,” Dominic shrugged, almost interrupting her “We basically, how would you say it,” he grew a faint smirk, chuckling “Put lipstick on a pig.” which made Renáta titter before trying to cover it up with an awkward cough “It's safe, not pretty.” he finished with an amused nod towards her.

Dixie shifted on her feet, rubbing her arm as she spoke “We should get moving. Right?” she asked “Since we're going to Dominic's safe house?” she then looked over to the still SUV, the windows too dark to see inside “Or does Fronie need more time?” she asked. Nervously. Clearly she was itching to leave as she looked back to her own car and patted her pockets in search of her keys.

“You're just going to jump on his idea, huh?” Arlene grumbled in agitation, she shook her head, trying to force the judgment off her face.

“Quicker the better.” Dominic remarked. Raising his brow.

Iona turned with a reluctant sigh, she met Arlene's unhappy glower and vaguely gestured towards Ralph's truck “Get them ready to go, will you?” she said with a hollowed tone, she wasn't thinking about what she was saying, she was deep in thought about their next move, how to alter their route, how to plan for the future.

Arlene growled but nodded “Fine.” she spoke through her tight lips, clearly unhappy “Do you even have a weapon to defend yourself?” she paused, looking at Dominic with a sneer.

“Of cour-” he stopped, expression dropping “Fuck.” he growled before quickly looking back and forth searching the camp, patting his empty holster on his side “Your hillbilly brother took it.” right as the words left his mouth Arlene spun back around with a furious glare “Do-” “Arlene.” Nancy reached forward and grabbed her shoulder, stopping her in her tracks.

She took a deep breath “Fuck this.” she snapped, yanking herself back and shrugging Nancy off “Whatever, we'll be ready.” then she turned, storming forward towards her brother's truck.

Dominic had a small smile when he met Nancy's eye but she didn't share the look of fondness. She turned her head and called “Cooper?” reaching her hand where she remembered he was, she didn't feel him there. The others began to disperse, getting ready to share the plan and get the caravan moving.
Nancy looked down to where her son was and he was gone but she knew immediately where to search first, her eyes snapped up to Ralph's truck and saw Cooper, she sighed in relief. Dominic turned his attention to the same sight and saw the same thing she did, Arlene waving her arms in frustration before Bonnie ushered her away towards the Stokes'.

Dominic spied their son. He was at the passenger's side door of Ralph's truck, mouth moving and eyes glued on Wyatt's calm expression.

She had something else on her mind but before she could voice it Dominic snapped “I'm getting my gun.” then he turned to Nancy “Keys?” he reached his hand out expectantly.

Nancy blinked at him, then looked back at his face “What?” she blubbered.

“I'm driving.” he said, cocking his head like it should have been obvious, he grinned but it wasn't purely genuine, not mocking either. Somewhere in between.

“No you're not.” Nancy shook her head stifling a scoffing laugh.

“How else are we getting back to my truck?”

“You can give me directions.” her thin lips smirked as she spoke but the expression didn't fit her face, twitching like the muscles weren't used to the movements.

“Seriously?” Dominic grumbled, opening his arms in a wide and exasperated gesture.

“Yeah.” she nodded. Then she left, her blonde hair swaying behind her with the exaggerated spin to her twirl, she then moved towards Arlene who had her head resting on Bonnie's shoulder. Clearly still in the middle of some rant.

Dominic swallowed his angry words and turned towards that trunk. Feet stomping. When he got to the truck Ralph had left, moved off to as he said 'take 'a leak', Cooper looked up first at his father's approach. Smiling.

“Sir, mom said you knew Wyatt from when I was really little.” he said but Dominic was looking at Wyatt, paying him attention rather than his son as he felt his agitation rise, he just wanted his weapon back and to be on the road with his family “Were you guys friends?” he asked following his father's moves with his head.

Dominic looked Wyatt over with a detailed glare. He was leaned against the truck, arm and shoulder pressed against the metal as he faced Cooper, though his attention trailed towards Dominic when he just waved at Cooper. He stared at Wyatt's face, his tanned skin was marked with a few injuries and scars but his expression was neutral, only raising his brow so minutely the only reason Dominic noticed was because he was staring so closely at him.

Dominic extended his open palm and didn't say a word, letting his stern, authoritative expression do the talking for him.

Cooper huffed, mumbling “Sir?” he called “Dad?” but all he was met with was Dominic waving his hand, shooing him away as he said “Go to your mother.” keeping his eye on Wyatt, his gaze drifted down, searching for sight on his pistol.

Dominic's eyes lowered, scouring over Wyatt's casual lean, he had his thick hunting jacket over a beaten up tank top, the leather belt kept his baggy jeans up and hid the form of his body but not the gun tucked into the back of his pants. Dominic could see it.

Cooper made a spectacle of dramatically slamming the book shut on his lap which caused Wyatt to startle, Dominic however didn't even flinch. He stormed off towards Penelope instead. Wyatt watched Copper leave with a pit in his chest before Dominic clearing his throat drew his attention back to his expectant hand.

“Yeah?” Wyatt said, cocking his head to see his hand and gesture towards it.

“Gun. Now.” Dominic's voice growled.

“Now slow down there city slicker.” Wyatt said exaggerating his accent in a cartoonish way before he spat into the dirt by their feet. He nodded in such a minute way Dominic hardly saw him gesture towards Iona and the others “Gotta get the OK.” Wyatt said, he moved to push himself off the truck and move past Dominic but suddenly Dominic reached out and grabbed his arm.

Wyatt pulled away like the Dominic's fingers were sharp as blades “Get off,” he stammered, shrugging him off with ease after stumbling a step “Fuck.” Wyatt ghosted in exhaustion.

“You don't have to run off for permission, hand it over hick.” Dominic demanded. Bending his fingers in a commanding way that definitely rubbed Wyatt the wrong way as he literally recoiled back away from him.

“What the fuck man?” Wyatt grumbled. He pulled away, avoiding Dominic's range even though he hadn't made a move again, Wyatt shook his head before looking over to the group around the Stokes' family “Hey Nance!” Wyatt called with a wave which only made Dominic's blood boil.

He was glaring at the back of Wyatt's head as he walked towards the main camp, towards Nancy, Dominic felt a dread building in his gut, a warm flush of anger overwhelmed him briefly as he watched him walk away.
Dominic just needed to get them on the road. Once he was in a car with ex wife, his son, he would be able to talk to people he's used to, people he can manage. Then, he can turn this group around.
He watched the group around him all move around one another with ease, packing up in ways he could tell they've done before.

He felt hopeful, finding his son again, more hands to help around his new safe house even if it wasn't exactly the company he would normally keep. This was a good thing. He forced himself to believe it.

0