Chapter 44 -Tribulation- III
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 44 -TRIBULATION- (3)

 

   The heat from the explosion surfaced on my face, it was painful but I had to bear it, as the co-leader of this group. I needed conviction to lead them, to lead them into a whole different dimension that they are about to know. 

 

   My dominant hand gripped my rapier and used it as a support for my body to hold itself. I was tired of people helping me, the thought of me becoming powerful was in but not entirely. Next to it was the feeling of uselessness, against anything that crossed my path, an obstacle that I needed to overcome myself. I doubted my strength many times, including the time where ‘Onyx’ took over Alter’s body. 

 

   I had the power of the zero phase but I was still weak. It was pathetic that I was able to win the low-rank basilisk. Over and over again, the fight that I had with Buckmour replayed in my mind–even in my dreams. His movements. His fighting style and technique. His mana. Everything was strong before he fought me, Buckmour was holding back against me in our duel. 

 

   Yet after all these feelings inside of me, there was one that overstepped them all, tired. I was tired of being saved countless times by people who would always be by my side. The same can be said about Alter, he saved me countless times before and even saved my homeland along with my ancestors. 

 

   It was frustrating that Alter–a 13 year old–could be stronger than the Espions combined. Just what type of training did he do? What did he go through just to obtain such power that could be just considered to be a god amongst us? It was a genuine question that resurfaced every time I was shown a difference between power. 

 

   Was there anything only I can do? Something only I am capable of doing without anyone’s help? 

 

   The questioning of myself wasn’t over but it had only begun. 

 

   My doubt didn’t have an end, it was a bottomless pit. 

 

   I gritted my teeth, hardened my grip on my rapier and leaped forward. If there was a way for me to prove that I wasn’t weak and worthless, it is now. 

 

   [Hurricane Of Protection] 

 

   The wind spell conjured, covering the people who were in the dungeon–more specifically, my team. Around them was a wind barrier that pushed against the heat of the explosion, letting their body be safe and free of wounds. 

 

   Then I use my water affinity on my rapier. Covering my weapon with the water element, I was able to reduce the shock wave that came after the explosion. 

 

   Striking forward into it, the huge wave of red and yellow with gray came to a stop–no it moved to the sides. Revealing a path in between it which then was extinguished seconds later. It wasn’t what I had in mind but it gave me an idea for the next hours we had left before the day was over. 

 

   My mana was relinquished, but what made me know I didn’t have any mana in my ring was the toll that fell on my body mili-seconds later. The little mana I had was only for healing myself but in the end I had used it up for this spell. 

 

   The plea of my body went loud in my mind as it grew in pain, but I didn’t let it overcome me. I stood there waiting for the beast in front of me to come out the shadows and for them to commence their attack. 

 

   Turning my attention to my teammates only to see if they were okay, it seems like they were. I tried sensing their mana but the only ones I felt were from Grace, Noah and our tanker–Ferguson. No feeling or sense came from Ava or Charlie. Why?

 

   Could they have run out of mana? But I see that they don’t… 

 

   How could I’ve not realized? In all these two days, I never even thought about their mana ring color since grandfather had recruited them. Their spells in mana and knowledge seemed to be weird, almost like their spells were meant to kill. Even their amusement of the dungeon and information about the races–excluding the humans and elfs. They seem to not understand the situation that we are in. Up till now, I haven’t seen them use or even wear a mana ring.

 

   Just like they came from another dimension… 

 

   The battle cry that the Drakon let out brought me back to reality. I had no time to meddle in this type of thing, what matters is that they both are on our side. What matters right now is that we get out of here safe and sound. As a horde of Drakons came to me with killing intent, making the one in front of the horde attack me with its claws, aiming for my chest. I dodged, then I plunged my rapier to its skull, killing the Drakon. We just have to clear floor 25 before we even finish this day. 

 

   If we clear the dungeon floor, it should be habitable for merchants to sell their products here so that adventurers don’t have to go all the way up for materials. Very convenient for them and so for merchants alike. 

 

   A handful of Drakons were still alive, rushing towards us while hoping for our deaths. Some crawled on the walls–even on the top of the open area–trying to catch us defenseless. Two Drakons stepped forward, challenging me. The first Drakon swinged his arm with long purple claws as it leaped to me. 

 

   Weaving the strike of the first beast, the second didn’t waste time to do the same. This time the wild beast went for my limbs instead of my chest, injuring my non-dominant hand. Going for a second hit, I put my weapon in a defensive position blocking the attack. The recoil of the hit wasn’t strong, though I didn’t have enough mana to use a spell or as a protective barrier around my body. 

 

   With the little mana I have in my ring I could at least use it for my rapier but… that would leave my body defenseless against physical and magical attacks, I debated in my mind whether to risk my life over the life of my teammates. ‘Princess, use Ancestral Magic.’ Said the voice in my mind. 

 

   ‘I give you permission to use my son’s power.’ The voice abides by her actions. 

 

   Nanny had told me about her son’s power, but I just couldn’t follow. Instead, I used spirit magic. 

 

   Calling for help to those spirits that are the closest to the elfs. The ones that protect the forest and the environment, we call those ‘Great Ones’. Beings that are capable of lending mana, spells and even knowledge to the receiver. 

 

   Withal, I continued with my initial plan. Holding tightly the grip of my rapier I began to push every little bit of mana I had left in my ring. My concentration was the bridge for the mana to pass from me to my sword. If my concentration didn’t falter in the slightest, then I would be able to make an edge of mana into my rapier. 

 

   Passing like water, the blue illuminated trail slowly covered the entire blade. Both Drakons stopped and witnessed how I prepared for my battle against them two and many more. 

 

   Blue and green orbs floated around me, little by little closer to my body until they all had touched and emerged with my body. The Great One's influence on the orbs made it so that it would protect me, changing structure from orbs to armor. Green orbs turned into layers of tree armor while the blue orbs turned to hard liquid. 

 

   This… this is the power that I needed to use when the basilisk invaded the academy. If only my understanding of mana was the same as of now, things wouldn’t have gone south, I thought to myself. 

 

   I need more concentration if I want to keep this form on for a little bit more. With the spirits helping me, relaying on my own mana shouldn’t be much of a trouble. But yet, this armor still feels vague, almost like it’s not for me or even meant for me. 

 

   Rushing as fast as it could, the Drakons that were left decided to let out an attack powerful enough to kill an A-rank adventurer. An attack that would involve consecutive strikes from every single one of them. 

 

   The two that striked me earlier were the front ones. “It’s payback time.” I said in a low voice as I walked calmly forward with my enchanted weapon to my side, ready to strike down and take the lives of the ones who would dare to obscure my path. 

 

   For a second, I felt my bloodlust release as the determination of winning came to my mind. If I wanted to be in this rescue party I needed to be more than myself, I needed to be someone who wouldn’t take a loss as a rock bottom but as a lesson. 

 

   Four Drakons sprinted from behind the two that had injured me earlier. Two front and back, while the other two were at their sides. The front one leaped to me while swinging it’s limb to me. Ferguson flickered in front of me defending me from the Drakon’s single but powerful attack. 

 

   “Let me handle this one, princess!” He stated. 

 

   Nodding, I continued forward. Readying my enchanted rapier to cut down the one behind the two Drakons. I conjured a set of water and earthen spikes to rise from the top of the cave as the two jumped, the earthen and water spikes thrusted directly into their backs and out their chest. Their alien blood splattered all over those who were close to the scene, including me. 

 

   Yet, I didn’t falter to the sight of them dying in a brutal way. It was like it was normal at this point. Just what changes was I going through right now? 

 

   Finishing that question thought. 

 

   I hardened my grip on my weapon, focused my sight on the Drakon that ran at full speed and waited. Studying its movements, possible outcomes were produced and yet I only found one that seemed simple. 

 

   Holding my enchanted rapier over my head, giving the Drakon one more look before I made my decision. Though it was my reasoning that we had to come to the dungeon and  train for real experience, I knew that in the other dimension the monsters won’t be even 2 percent close to these mana creatures but it was a gamble to do so. 

 

   I won’t no longer do half-assed things, instead I will see all of this end… even if it meant I would die in the process. 

 

   Without wasting any more time, I swung my dominant hand that held my enchanted rapier. A trace of a faint light followed my blade as it cut easily through the hard muscle of the Drakon. 

 

   In the moment, I sprinted as fast as I could to where the two Drakons from earlier were. They were confused on what just happened, taking that signal I quickly did a slashing motion with my enchanted weapon. The sounds of their confused and astonished heads fell to the floor and filled the whole dungeon floor.  

 

   Grace, Ana and Charlie finished off the remaining ones that fled to a dead end while Noah helped Ferguson kill the one he already was fighting. 

 

   I, on the contrary, only stared and dragged my eyes to the horrified scene. The puddles of alien blood along with the dead corpse that laid there. 

 

   Even if they were monsters, being that are not capable of understanding human language, they still had a soul and I had taken it away from them. I know other people won’t feel the same as I do but did Alter ever feel this before? The heavy burden of taking someones’ life and still living to take even more? Does guilt ever run through his mind? 

 

   Never mind how much, I have inquired about the tribulation of a never ending heavy burden. 

0