Volume 1, Chapter 6
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That's right...Forgot about that...

 

Connor

 

Conner walked back to the loundroom of his sister’s place, stood there, and then made his way to the kitchen, hoping to find some booze.

What the hell do these people live on, Conner thought, as he searched the cupboard's...Nothin, you're kidding!

Well, they had vegetables and fruit. Yogurt, eggs and leftovers...The cupboards had cereals, spreads and other ingredients, but...As far as Connor was concerned, that was a waste of space!

Conner was just about to give up, when he saw a cupboard above the microwave, ah, he thought, and that is where they hide the stash!

Conner choose the highest percentage alcohol they had, which was close enough to his favourite. Filling half a glass, he told himself he hasn't touched anything tonight, so he needed a big dose, then he filled the other half with anything black that sparkles.

 

Sitting down, he turned the TV on and changed the channel, Connor wasn't sure what he wanted to watch…

He realized that Bailey had been watching a movie but didn't even care to press stop or even get up to put it away.

Fixing himself, so he was comfortable, he found that he still had his notepad in his pocket. Pulling it out, he put it on the table with his phone, making sure he wouldn't forget it, as he wouldn't forget his phone.

Flipping through the channels, Conner was certain nothing was half as good as playing his games at home. Looking at his notebook, he decided he'd look for a pen and try to see if he can do something while he was by himself, maybe his nephew being here would help him.

Conner sat there with his eyes closed, not bothering to keep them open, and tried to come up with an idea.

Kids, Kids and monsters, Kids hate monsters, monsters aren't real! He thought, bad kids, good kids, bad monsters….Good monsters.

An hour went by rather quickly, and Conner came up with something that may very well help his nephew, with his fear of monsters. Looking over his work, Conner seemed quite proud.

 

Once upon a time there was a monster, of sorts, He was full of freckles and warts.

He lived by himself, in a sweet little home, People who lived nearby, left him along.

He wasn't known very well in the town, Especially by the royals who wore a crown.

But one day, a six-year-old girl skipped by, And when she saw him, she didn't cry.

For what she saw only made her curious. She smiled at him, as though he was glorious.

He was stunned, to be noticed at all, And of all people, a sweet little girl.

As days went by, she skipped closer to him, And after some more time, she found his name was Tim.

They talked about tea parties and dolls, Pretended to play barbies and trolls.

The young girl turned into a teen, To her, the other boys and girls were mean.

This creature that everyone seemed to dislike, could go jump or take a hike!

For Tim was great at a lot of things, Not only talking and playing, but he sings!

He was her very special friend, a friend to have for years, Even now older, having a yarn and some beers!

People started to learn that this 'monster' was great, And he became everyone's best mate!

 

He decided to make a note for Bailey's parents, that if he gets scared, tell him that there are good monsters out there as well as bad. To his surprise, not long after he finished his letter, his sister came home with her partner, who seemed to have vanished rather quickly.

Conner seemed keen to go, he finished his drink and put the glass into the sink, made sure he had everything, and he started for the door.

But his sister stopped him, saying, "Was he good?"

"Yeah, no troubles, I left you a note." Connor wanted to leave already.

"I thought he'd be worried about going to bed." His sister seemed to be distracted.

Connor wanted things to be easier, "Yeah, he was fine, I talked to him about it. What I said worked for tonight, it’s in the note I left." Take the hint already!

"Thank you, I appreciate it, Conner" His sister seemed really sincere, and Connor hugged her, feeling as though she was holding something in.

"I hope things are ok, sis." Connor let her go and went to go through the front door to his car. 

Half way there his sister stopped him saying, "It looks like we are getting a divorce."

Conner stopped to look at his sister, it was a problem. She wanted to vent, and he just wanted to go home, "I'm sorry to hear it, I thought you guys were good."

His sister sighed, "No, we have been trying to work it out for ages, but tonight we believed it to be the best option. I only hope we sorted things out right for Bailey's sake."

Conner looked down, not sure on what to say, "I'm sorry sis, sometimes things just don't work out."

His sister had stopped only a couple of steps away, putting her hand to her mouth now, acting like it would stop her from crying. "They aren't. He seems quite certain that he isn't in love with me anymore."

 

Conner wanted to laugh, what a notion, he thought, his sister should know that he thought it was all crap!

But he held it in and walked back to her. He knew if he was to say something, he would ruin the moment, so he just hugged her. And with that action, his sister, indeed, started to cry...

Little pats and talking senseless things, seemed to help a little, she did mumble a few things that he didn't understand, but it didn't matter.  He loved his sweet, little sister, she had so much in common to the person he wanted to be. He was a little jealous of her, to be who she is and not worry about her father's words.

Time went by slowly and Connor was just about ready to fall asleep when his sister pulled back and sighed. "Ok, safe trip home Connor, and please….Look after yourself."

She knew how terrible he lived but he still just nodded and left.

Once out on the road, Connor finally let it out, ha! Like she knew how he must feel and how he didn't care about looking after himself!

 

***

 

Waking to the alarm the next day was easier than the day before. Not drinking much definitely had an advantage, he thought. Connor even did a load of washing before he left for work, nodding, he knew that it gave him tonight to drink! With that in mind and his rock music, his morning was good and easy.

Connor decided he'd eat his lunch out the front this time, hiding didn't seem fit to his good mood.

Leaning against the stairs, that lead to the Art museum, Connor ate most of his lunch and lit a smoke. Trying to blow rings, he saw a good-looking female on her way towards the stairs.

Trying to act like he wasn't looking at such good eye candy, Connor had another drag of his smoke and discreetly watched her. The female was in no rush, no designer clothes, looking like she was on a holiday. Moving closer to the entry of the stairs, Connor stared longer, she looked quite happy making him look at her left hand and finding no ring.

 

She had a certain appeal to her that Connor was unable to identify, he wasn't normally one to hit on brunettes or girls that looked like they went to church. His eyes skimmed over her average figure and wondered why he felt like he knew her from somewhere.

She was getting closer now and saw that he was there, she stopped walking and looked closer with her head, as though zooming in with her eyes. Connor wasn't sure how to act, her face held different kinds of emotions, that changed every second.

After a couple of seconds, the female started walking towards him again, but slower, like she was still deciding something in her head.

Connor stood up straight and had another drag from his smoke, when she got close enough, he nodded his head, "Hi."

She stopped in front of him to reply, "Hi."

"Can I ask why you are looking at me funny?" He couldn't help but ask.

She stammered and put herself together again, "Just thought I was seeing a ghost is all."

Her smile was genuine, surprising him that she actually meant it, she stayed where she was, waiting…Connor had no idea what it was that she wanted.  But he did admit to himself that her smile was quite lovely, but even though he was happily admitting this, he still felt like something was missing…

She leaned on one foot, unsure of herself by the look of it, and then stared right at him, "Cameron?"

 

Connor fell against the wall of the stairs and nearly fell to the ground, it had been a long time since someone had thought he was his twin brother. Connor should have known it was coming by the look she had, why didn't he think that! At least then he wouldn't feel like such an idiot now with the inability to talk!

He couldn't believe how shocked he was and wondered if he'd ever get over people mixing him up with his brother...

Trying to act normal, that he meant to have looked that way, he crooked his head and knew arsehole had to be it to get away, "I can be whoever you want me to be sweetheart."

The female stared at him and raising her eyebrows, unimpressed. That was something new to him, he wondered how she had gone through his act straight away, to see under it.

Then she shook her head, what the hell, Connor thought, who is this girl?

She spoke again, "I'm sorry, I just thought you were someone else, that obviously you're not." And started to walk past him to go down the stairs.

Connor got a bit angry with the way she had said 'Obviously', and he was going to let her know it! "Sorry if I don't meet your standards, me lady!"

Connor was flipping her off when she turned around, Connor didn't expect her to do that and pulled his hand back with a guilty look on his face.

 

Walking back to him she looked determined to do something, Connor was starting to back away.

"What is your name?" She asked.

Stopping in front of him, she put her hands on her hips and waited.

Ah…So sexy…But what the hell is missing!?

For some reason, he felt like he was in trouble, she looked like a teacher, a sexy teacher, one he'd sit at the front of class for. "Connor…Ah?...Yours?"

After looking at him sideways, she spoke her name, "Andrea, Connor do you happen to have or had a brother, that looked just like you?"

Connor liked how she went straight to the point, but he wasn't just about to let her in on his whole life story, "What's it to you?"

Andrea got closer, making Connor move backwards, he saw her searching his eyes...Hey back off!

After a moment she smiled, "It's ok, I have my answer. I'll say hello for you."

Leaving Connor in shock, she walked away, still in no rush, and he was left unsure on what to think. Connor, relieving himself from the stairs, started walking towards the library, to turn back twice to see nothing there. That was way crazy, he thought, What the...What the hell did she mean 'Say hello for you'?

Shaking his head, he put his earphones on to forget, something he knew he was good at.

1