Chapter 7 – A New Life
446 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A year later. Scott was now running a successful private investigation agency. 

He did successfully did miscellaneous investigations and verification of old items, such as verifying authenticity of archaeological artifacts, auction pieces, and museum pieces. 

His clients acknowledge that he used "psychic powers" but his reports also gave them ways to find evidence to prove the items were the real deal. 

He stayed away from finding missing people, no matter how often the police requested for his help. 

He was so successful, he now owned his own office, a large open brownstone factory loft, covered wall to wall with bookshelves and miscellaneous artifacts 

Over the year, he had honed his telemetry skills, being able to fast forward his visions to find the relevant time frame he was looking for. Otherwise, he would take years watching the embedded memories of centuries old artifacts. 

But he hasn't had to use his timestop ability since as he had kept away from dangerous situations. 

Furthermore, his other power of travelling back in time only seemed to work when he died. So there was no safe way of testing it. 

But one of the main reasons he kept his wife's body is the firm belief that one day he will be able to travel back in time all the way to rescue his wife. 

Scott was seating at the couch, facing his former partner Detective Danielle Garcia. Her new partner Detective Christian Reneiri wondered around the room looking at the exhibits, leaving them time to talk privately. 

"I still can't believe you retrieved it... I mean her" Danielle said, staring at the statue of Lisa and Tyrone, the centerpiece of the large room.

"Most of my clients think it's just a statue. I've not told anyone it's my wife" Scott said.

"Ex-wife" Danielle muttered

"What?" Scott asked.

"Nothing" Danielle answered

"Anyway, it's not against the law is it? People keep urns of their loved ones, make them seeds to plant trees at home etc." Scott asked. 

"No.. no it's not so straight forwards. That's an actual body" Danielle said.

"Is it? It was a legitimate exhibit piece in a museum" Scott said.  

"So anyway, what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?" Scott asked. changing the subject.

"We are having trouble solving a case" Danielle said. 

"You know, I don't do live cases anymore. I... I can't do it emotionally" Scott said, his eyes drifted to the exhibit and saw Christian touching his wife's body, marveling at how real it look and felt. 

"I hope you consider. I'll leave copies of the files here" Danielle said, touching his face and then leaving while waving goodbye. 

"Don't touch!" Danielle said slapping Christian's hand as they left together. 

Scott watched them both leave and glanced at the files. 

*Sigh*

He picked up the files and glanced through them one by one. 

"Clara..Devon?" he stammered, recognizing the pretty passport sized photo of a familiar face. 

Clara was the gorgeous brunette he had a fling with many years ago in university. 

She was an exchange student, on a one year exchange from Oxford, here in the US to take several courses on the artifacts kept in the museums here. 

She was an archaeology major, the daughter of a famous archaeologist himself Sir James Davon from the United Kingdom. 

He had met her at the university gym, impressed by her gymnastic skills as he lifted weights. 

He was young and awkward, and she kept catching him staring at her. 

Somehow, she was attracted to him too, which led to them having a risky romp in the gym late one night. 

They had intended to continue their relationship, but she was suddenly called back to London the very next day. 

Apparently, her father had disappeared on a archaeological discovery.  

They had kept in touch for many years later, even when he had already married Lisa. 

Clara was obsessed with finding her father, and had searched one clue after another looking for him, and had never settled down.

He eventually lost contact and had only remembered her last year when he suddenly remembered he could stop time in particular circumstances. 

He flipped through the file. Clara had disappeared in America, chasing for clues about her father. But as she was in LA when she disappeared several days ago, the UK embassy pressured the police to take up the case of the missing daughter of a knighted person. 

"She was last seen in Lovelock, Nevada, looking to explore the Lovelock Cave" he read. 

"Lovelock cave? The Si-Te-Cah giants?" Scott thought to himself.

He has read about the legend of the red haired giants of Lovelock cave. They were supposedly a group of cannibalistic giants who lived around that area hundreds of years ago. The native american tribe the Paiute tribe was at war with them and managed to corner them in the cave. As the giants holed up in there, the native Americans filled the cave with brush and burned them alive. 

He recalled her coming on an exchange to America to study the confiscated giant skeletons acquired by the Smithsonian Museum. She had told him that she was stone walled in her attempt all those years ago.

He packed his stuff and with a stepladder, kissed the cheek of his wife before locking up and leaving for his flight.

Upon arrival, he took a cab to the police station to check out the evidence they had.

At the police station, the local investigator looked at him with suspicion.

"You're a psychic?" he said, looking at his card.

"I'm actually a private investigator hired by the LA CSI to help them with this case" Scott answered.

The investigator didn't look pleased but handed him the case file regardless.

Scott looked at the file, but found it was next to empty. The only piece of paper in there said than Clara arrived and stayed at a local motel and then disappeared.

He used his telemetry on the file, but all he saw was the inspector digging his nose, and reading a playboy. 

"Lazy bum" Scott muttered. 

"What's that?" the inspector asked. 

"Nothing. Thank you. I'll handle my own investigation" he said and left the station.

 

6