Chapter 2, Fair Queen Part 1
57 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was Esau who first called the rain. They first saw him descends the holy mountain, a golden light sat on his shoulder. She was beautiful, not more than five inch with golden hair and wings. She sat on his shoulder, and her eyes gazed down the people and smiled. And everywhere she lands, sprung well.

Excerpt from the Dwarven Folktale, section Fearie.


"It's not going through," Meryl said, so suddenly that they have to rein their horses back to give her an ear.

"Huh? What's that you're saying?" asked Alakazem

Meryl didn't immediately answer but instead tapped her fingers together meticulously, conjuring up a spell. But then her fingers trembled and the light slowly faded. She gulped

"I'm telling you," she said, turning to look at Alakazem "Nobody is answering."

Those three words carried an implication which are too horrifying to swallow. Everyone stopped their mounts, and Clara even jumps down and with hurried steps made her way through the party to Meryl. The sound of squelchy mud under her boots accompanied her steps.

She climbed Meryl's mount and grabbed her shoulder tightly. Their eyes met -- red and green.

"Do it again," she said. "You must be doing something wrong with your spell." Her voice shakes. She did not believe this to be the case. And even if so, she was not educated enough in this area. Aurelia might be able to tell, but she had been quiet since their departure.

Meryl frowned but complied. She moved her fingers and tapped according to the patterns only mages knew, and waited. A brief flash appeared between her fingers, but was snuffed immediately.

"Again!" Clara's red pupils trembled as she followed Meryl's movement.

And Meryl did it again, slower than before, making sure each step was correct. The rest of the party watched in silence. Particularly Alakazem, who hadn't moved an inch since Meryl uttered those three words.

Again, the spell failed. It whizzed out into the ambient light unceremoniously.

"Again!" Clara yelled, and a sweat trailed down her cheek.

But before Meryl was able to do it again, Kazu jumps down from his horse "Enough!" He unsheathes his sword and looked towards a thicket beside them. He cannot believe that nobody have felt it yet. "Something might be intercepting us, Annihilator, to your right."

Alakazem jumps down his horse and brandished his axe. The rest follows, even Clara and Meryl prepares their stance, holding their respective weapon. Clara, her double blade, and Meryl her short sword.

Aurelia came beside Kazu with a serious expression and pushed her glasses, she frowned as she began chanting a spell. A staff materialized in front of her with a soft whip. It was her old wooden staff with gold rimmed patterns etched on it.

"Since when has the demons learned stealth" Someone uttered, but there was not enough time to determine who said it. Because the next instance a long spear skewered Meryl.

"AAAAH!" The long rod came from the sky, it missed her head and landed on her shoulder. It exited on her left thigh and blood spurted out.

In an instant, Aurelia aimed towards Meryl and froze her in space time pause.

"From the cliff!" Bellowed Alakazem.

That instant, Alparslan's spear pierced the air, accurate as his aim was, he left himself barehanded. Immediately after, as if they had been waiting for it, floods of kobolds streamed in like an angry waves from every direction.

Instinctively, Kazu slashed wide to clear out an escape route. Dozens of kobolds instantly decapitated by the wave of his wind attributed swords.

"Retreat!" He yelled in panic.

But Clara stood her ground, Alakazem on her side and hacked away at the incoming horde. Instantly the ecape route was filled again by this endless flow of kobolds. Alparslan took a felled bark from Kazu's wind slash and swung it at the incoming horde, flattening them with sickening wet splash.

"We can't leave" Aurelia said

She worriedly glanced at Kazu who is now covering her, her expression pained as she panted. Maintaining spacetime magic, though her speciality, is taxing on her. But fortunately, her specialization allowed her to keep it up for much longer. But this debilitate her ability to do anything else

Clara then said "Fuck! Merly's fixed to the ground!"

She pulled and pulled on the place that wasn't covered with space time magic, which is Meryl's hand.

"What in the-! Clara you stupid pig!" Alakazem yelled, evidently, his humor was not good today "Stop pulling at her"

But Clara won't have it "Kazu told us to retreat you halfling scum! Or do you prefer we fall fighting for this patch of mud in the middle of nowhere!?"

As Alakazem was tearing his own hair trying to tie together a word on how to explain the concept of rip and tear to this stupid brat, Alparslan intervened.

"Both of you" He said with a weary smile "Get out of the way and cover me"

Then he began to dig around Meryl's skewered form. The ground was brittle but the enclosed space is hard as stone. He carried the egg shaped enclosure on his back. "Kazu!"

"Got it!" He sliced through miles and miles of trees, revealing even more kobolds than expected.

"... good god" Said Alakazam, paling.

"Move!" Said Kazu, slicing more and more. Pushing his sword's mana consumption to its limit to thin out the closing rift.

With Clara covering their back, Alakazem their sides, and Kazu leading their retreat. They ran, leaving trail of black blood and corpse behind them. It was endless, absolutely endless and Aurelia's magic is rapidly draining. At this rate, the freezing of time would be useless. She has to have enough magic to mend Meryl's wound.

And mana transfer is out of the question given how much Kazu and everyone is draining themselves just by keeping the boat afloat.

But finally, they reached a deserted town. There are wooden wheels left behind, swimming in mud. There are also many broken down buildings. And in the middle of the town is a deserted market that seems to have been left in a very rushed manner. Perhaps the same hysteria that wrapped Ukryon wrapt this one too.

"This..." Said Alakazem

And then they saw it. Vines and mosses has wrapped half of the land, even the lord's manor has a tree growing in the middle of one of its towers. The red roofs of that stone construct is shaded by an overgrown trees.

This is a work of sorcery.

"Meryl-" Out of habit, Alakazem called out "... Of course" He thinned his lips into a line.

Aurelia looked about wearily, her focus is on keeping her spell up. Although she can't help but lost her breath at how the light around her seem to take a soft quality on their surroundings

There is no one to confirm whether they are under the effect of an illusion.

But that was the most realistic deduction of their current situation. To cover a town in so much greenery is impossible. Those roots that grows in those dilapidated inner walls of the mansion, the vines covering empty streets and shops.

And even that deer-

"Clara!" Kazu called out at the person closest to the many eyed deer who stood above a rubble.

Clara swished back with a wide eyes. The deer stared at them. The many eyed deer blinked their eyes independently, and walked away. Something flew from behind it and wisped closer to them. A green mote of light floated closer.

Then the light spoke "Ah sorry, did you live here?" It flitted closer and it was then that Kazu saw her.

A short haired girl with green eyes, and green hair, and even greener wings. She has a cat like eyes with vertical slit and a face of a girl. Her body is very small, only approximately six inches.

Seeing that the party is befuddled and unresponsive, the fairy hastened to explain herself. "Ah you see, the demon queen messes up a lot of stuff up northeast and me and my mates place got wrecked by a wine rain," She began

"Yep, wine rain. I have nothing against it, in fact we love wine. Love any alcoholic drinks, bring it on!" She said "But you see, we loved it too much that our streets are now littered with corpse. Some of us died of alcohol poisoning. Half of our populations actually. The younger ones are all safe, except for Cro-"

"Hold on, hold on" Alakazam said "Demon queen? queen?" he asked.

"Yep demon queen ruined our home, so I looked for a nice place." She continued "Then I found this empty village after a night, nice weather, and it has a nice river over there too" She pointed. Then she smiled at them and fell silent

"And uh, I thought it was empty. So we quickly get to work with the barriers and decor" She motioned to the transformed village. "Uh, we didn't know. Ummm sorry" She said. "Ah, but now that we have fixed this place up, we don't wanna move. No way, you guys go."

Kazu motioned with his hand "No, it's fine. We're just stopping by." Then he smiled "Mind if we stayed for a while?"

The fairy tiled her head "Sure, but the dwarf must go"

The party sent worried glances at Alakazem. He stood there with his hand combing his brown beard. The fairy flitted around Kazu and Aurelia. Tapping her own chin.

Then Aurelia buckled. "Can we- please decide soon" She's at her limit.

Alakazem then sighed "Right, we gotta prioritize Meryl. Aurelia, can I trust you to fix her up?" He asked

Aurelia glanced at him "I'll keep her alive" She said "But nothing more"

"How long do you have? A day? Two?"

"One night"

The group went silent. Alakazem bit his fingers and glanced at Clara who seemed troubled herself. She has been playing with her bracelet for a while now. The guilt seems to bear down on her, in her mind, it was her fault that Meryl ends up like this. Meryl has trusted her back to Clara, and she cannot protect her. She seemed to made her mind up about something and steps forward.

"I-I'll go with him" she said

Alparslan then frowned "You don't have to. I'll keep him safe"

But Aurelia glared at him, her draining mana frayed her nerves. "No, it has to be her" She glanced at the fairy who tilted her head. Then Aurelia sighed "Go, both of you"

Clara nodded and reluctantly beckoned at Alakazem who wore a grave looking face. The fairy flitted around and smiled.

"Welcome welcome!" She said "Make youself at home, not that its mine alone ahahah!" Then it waved "Don't worry about those monsters, this is a fresh barrier. Not even the demon queen could pierce it"

Then the fairy went to Alparslan and smiled "Hey uh, can you guard the perimeters please. Though I said that, I'd like to reinforce a few spots if it is in more danger than the rest" 

Alparslan nodded "Where should I start"

"Hmm, you should go back where you came from but pay attention to the light barrier from now, you missed it last time and it was funny seeing all of you wasting your breath like that even though you're safe."

Alparsan "Alright" he smiled "So i'll just have to walk around this... barrier thingies right?"

"Yep yep, can't miss it." She said "Actually, nevermind let's go, I'll show you around" And then Alparsan went away with her sitting on his shoulder. He placed Meryl down beside Aurelia. 

Aurelia leaned back on a broken wall, vines covered its surface. And there's a little flower blooming beside her sitting place. Kazu sat beside her, leaving the space for the flower alone. Kazu glanced at Meryl, whose expression of agony is frozen in place, then he glanced at her hand which had turned purple.

Kazu stayed still, his hands trembling. Now that they have had a moment of peace, he didn't know what to do. Aurelia stayed quiet too, drawing her knees up her face and she hugged her legs close. Her staffs grasped tightly, its orbs lets out a dim light and a humming sound. Her soft breathing is submerged in a softly rustling grasses by the wind. Her large hat fell slowly beside her.

The ivy leaves moved idyllically, according to the flow of air.

As for Kazu. His mind, felt shallow.

The last few hours had left no time for them to consider the changes. What had happened. They cannot process it. They had no time to. They lost their home, it feels as if just last night he longue around the sofa talking about nothing with her. Only yesterday, Clara had just made a dummy training stand that she had been very proud of.

Suddenly a thought came into his head. Oh god, is it because of his prayers. His debt, all of these deaths, all of this chaos. All because he cannot handle his finances!?

"AHahha!" Then he burst out laughing, which prompted a weary groan from Aurelia beside her

"What is it with you" She said still burying her face on her knees. "Finally snapped? Or were you talking with Sumika?"

Kazu stopped laughing, and turned sharply to her "W-What?" He stood "I told you i'm not... Look you seem to have a very weird idea about who Sumika is. She's not-"

"Yeah, maybe" She interrupted, then finally pulled her face from her knees. It was pale, there's a red rim under her eyelids, and her lips are cracked. "I know, I'm sorry. It's just, nothing you said make sense"

"..." Kazu gazed at her, she turned towards him. She pushed her eyeglass up and smiled.

"You were with Clara when we met" She began "Remember? You saved me from that burning town."

"... Yeah, it was three weeks before the expedition right?" It was sixteen years into his second life. "I still have no idea why you stick with me"

She raised her eyebrows, then burst out laughing, her white teeth peered from below her lips. But her hand keep a stiff grasp on her staff, and her other hand went to her stomach. "... I- well, let's just say" Then she frowned, but then a smile came back as if it never left. "No, that's not the important bits" She smirked, and poked his cheek. "Don't change the topic"

"..." He lowered his gaze

"You told me back then, remember?" She said "You were born into a low noble family who serves the Rutherfords, Clara's family. Your mother were her mother's handmaid and you told me that you weren't supposed to meet her" She played around with her hat. "But one day Clara, she ran away. And that was when you met her, she sneaked into a cargo to the capital your father was carrying, which incidentally also carries you"

"You're right" Kazu said, knowing already where this conversation is going.

"Well, somehow you both hit it off, and you, upon realizing her intent, talked her out of it." She smiled "You gave her a concrete plan, raise her grades enough, and when the time is right. She asked her father, the lord, to let her be an adventurer."

"I get it" Kazu stopped her "I get it, he gave her a set of task, and I helped her accomplish it. They let her go"

"..." Aurelia stayed quiet.

The sun was setting and left an orange hue to blanket the surrounding ruins. The green leaves and ivy seemed to be on fire as the sun bathed them in its light.

"... was that a lie?" Aurelia finally spoke

"No, it wasn't" It was what had happened after his rebirth.

"Of course not," She smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. "I confirmed it at the citizen bureau just after the expedition"

Kazu widened his eyes "So that's-" that was why she was always traveling.

"Sorry" She smiled apologetically, then pushes her glasses back, because it has slid down while they were talking. "Well, when you told me yesterday. It didn't line up." She gazed at him, looking at him in his eyes "So I thought I might have missed something, but then I realized... why would you, feel that way to someone you knew before puberty"

Kazu stiffened. Because of more than one thing of course. The direction of her suspicion is going to some dangerous conclusion.

"No, i'm not-"

"I saw the ledgers where they kept the going ins and out." Then she stretched "Haa~ Being a member of a famous hero do have its perks huh?"

"Listen, Aurelia-"

"Your father's name is recorded on thirty separate instances" She interrupted, gazing at him intently. "One of them was three years before you were born, another was when you were only two years old. And the rest is either when you were five, eight, or when you're too old to fit on his carriage" She said "Your father came every month when you were five" She said, not changing her expression "Which one was it?"

"... When I was five, father used to take me. I was so happy back then that he took that job again despite how tiring it was"

"Good answer" she said "because that was the only year which has his recorded capacity is lower than his other instances. How many time did you go with him?"

"Five times"

"Hmm? Those occurences are only recorded four times" Her eyes sharpened

"Yes, because the fifth times was when she ran away, and we went back. Father refilled his carriage before going again"

"Then, you met Clara when you're five?"

"Yes, listen, Aurelia please, let me explain-"

"So, either you were mastrubating to a toddler, or-"

"Aurelia, please"

"You get involved with her after you met Clara"

"No!"

"... sick fuck" Aurelia looked at him in disgust.

"Look, please let me explain"

Then she laughed "Ahaha, anyway so that was how I came to the conclusion that this Sumika is some sort of idealized women that you dreamed of"

"..." Realizing that she had just played him like a fool, he sighed heavily. The cold moon staring down at them. The sun has set completely, and the wind has taken a very cold tint. Far away, on the mossy ruined castle, there are little motes of light dancing around.

"She's... not a figment of my imagination"

"... Then you cheated"

She draws up her knees again.

"..." He sat still, her voice was very fragile, like he had just crushed her heart. Of course, in her eyes he had just confirmed her suspicions. "... Listen Aurelia, I, don't know if I can explain this. But I-I'm not- I did not cheat on the both of you"

She did not answer. He saw that her shoulders are trembling slowly. He clenched his fist and and felt his own windpipe tighten. How can they fix this, how can he fix this. Of course, why did he even said that. Let her think that Sumika is false! why did he have to go out of his way to correct her!? But no. It's too late now, and even if he get another chance, a do over. He cannot see a time when he will not correct her if she think that Sumika is not real. Sumika is real, she must be, he can't let anyone think otherwise. Because- Because-

"Woah, did something happen?" A sudden footsteps surfaced from behind his beating mind. He had not realized it but his blood has rose up his temple since a while ago. He took a deep breath and turned to the source of the sound.

There stood Clara and Alakazem

But before he could answer, Aurelia stood, took off her glasses and wiped her tears. "No, nothing happened." She smiled, and went up to them. "Did you find it?"

"Yep" Said Alakazem, handing over three flask of glowing liquid "Three should be enough right?"

"???" Aurelia tilted her head "There's no way you only made three"

"Sure sure, but me and my party is gonna need it soon, if we're to fight of big bad queen evil" He laughed

Aurelia clicked her tongue "Just so we're clear," She pointed at Meryl "I'll tell Meryl that you value her as three mana potion"

The dwarf stops laughing, and reluctantly opens his bag with a sad look. "... Alright, god. Take however much ye want" Inside his bag is so much potions that it illuminated her face.

"That's more like it" She smiled.

While Aurelia scooped huge amount of his potions to her bag, Clara sat beside Kazu, she seems very tired and immediately leaned on his shoulder.

"... Good work" He patted her silver hair, feeling each strands between his fingers. "Thank you, Clara"

"... mmh" she answered simply. Slowly falling asleep. He put his hand over her shoulder and hugged her, on his palm he thought that her bare skin felt so cold.

Aurelia downed five flask in one go. Colors slowly returned to her face, and she took a deep breath. There's a flash of guilt on her face as she glanced back at Kazu. Then she turned towards the crestfallen dwarf. Alakazem counted his remaining potions. The glow is lessened considerably.

"You should go" She said to him "Those fairies won't be happy if they see you here, especially with those potions"

Alakazem lets out a long sigh and closes his bag. "Alright," He stood back up, slinging his heavy bag with a loud clink.

And then only the three of them remained.

This chapter have been bothering me for quite a while. It clocked in around 10k words. After much deliberation, I decided to just cut it in parts. To make up for it, I'll release the second part later on this day. The next one will follow Clara, and then after that part is Alparslan

0