[Vol. 1] Ch. 2: Sora Encounters Civilisation
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PART 5 - Captured by Raiders:

My heart is pounding so hard that I can feel it thudding in my chest. I quicken my pace, frantically scanning my surroundings for any signs of safety.

Analyse.

My heart pounds as I internally call upon the analyse skill to reveal the attributes, skills, and levels of the creatures surrounding me in this ethereal amethyst forest.

A sense of dread washes over me as I realise that any single one of these floating stats could belong to the footsteps I hear following me.

I take a moment to turn a full three-sixty, scanning the area for any sign of danger, but all I see are the twisting, glowing trees and the pulsing purple mist that seems to permeate every inch of this strange place.

But still, I run. My mind races, desperately searching for an escape route.

Maybe I can hide in the bushes up ahead?

Or climb a tree to get a better vantage point?

The options are few, and my choices feel limited, but I push on, my feet pounding against the soft earth as I try to outrun whatever is following me.

I decide to jump inside a large hollow log, hoping it will provide some cover and protection. As I curl up inside, trying to control my breathing and quiet my pounding heart, I can hear the sound of footsteps approaching.

The crunch of leaves underfoot, the heavy breathing of my pursuer—it’s all too close for comfort. I close my eyes, willing myself to be invisible, to be silent, and to escape whatever fate awaits me in this mysterious and dangerous forest. But as the footsteps draw nearer, I know that my time is running out. I can only hope that whatever or whoever is chasing me will pass by without noticing my hiding place.

Suddenly, the footsteps halt, and I hold my breath, my body tense and ready to flee at the first sign of danger.

But it’s dead silent. Was it just my imagination? Did I imagine those footsteps following me? Is everything okay? Am I safe? Or is something worse about to happen?

With bated breath, I strain my ears, listening for any hint of movement outside the log. But there is nothing except silence. It’s as if the entire world has stopped, holding its breath alongside me.

After what feels like an eternity, my curiosity gets the better of me, and I slowly peek my head out of the log to look around. There is no one there.

I sigh in relief, stepping out of the log and stretching my muscles after being cramped up for so long.

Though, I can’t shake the feeling of unease that still lingers in the air. The forest seems darker now; the shadows are longer and more menacing. I quickly scan my surroundings, searching for any sign of danger. But all I see are the swaying branches and the rustling leaves, with a gentle breeze whispering through the trees.

I begin to walk towards the source of the footsteps, or what I can only assume. Why? I don’t know myself, I guess something is just urging me to, but really only God knows.

“Why am I doing this to myself…”

I mutter under my breath, the question echoing through the stillness of the forest like a haunting refrain.

I curse my own recklessness, berating myself for allowing curiosity to triumph over self-preservation. But still, I press on, propelled by an inexplicable urge to uncover the truth lurking amidst the shadows.

Though I have to admit, the strange creatures here are pretty interesting, to say the least, based on their appearance: like that two-headed bird-looking creature that’s made of stone; or that flying, purple snake.

As I walk, the scenery around me feels more captivating than it already was, though I’m still wary of the dangers that could be lurking—

“It would be wise for you to stop where you are.”

A commanding female voice stops me dead in my tracks, and I feel a sharp edge graze against the back of my head.

My mind races as I try to process what’s happening.

“Wha—”

“Remain silent.” She orders me. “Unless you want a blade perforated into your skull.”

They seem to be speaking a foreign language, one I’m unfamiliar with despite my uncanny knowledge of many languages.

Instinctively, I place my hands behind the back of my head and kneel down on the grassy ground. Normally, you’d do that, right?

“What’s happening?” I manage to choke out, my voice barely above a whisper. But that was a big mistake, as the blade slowly cuts deeper into my flesh until blood slowly oozes out.

The sensation is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before. As the blade slices through the delicate flesh of my scalp, a searing pain shoots through my skull like a white-hot flame, sending waves of agony rippling through my entire body.

Each millimetre of movement sends fresh torrents of pain coursing through my nerves, blurring the edges of my vision with a haze of red-hot anguish.

It’s as if there’s something in that blade amplifying the pain.

Blood wells up from the wound, trickling down my neck in a warm, sticky cascade that leaves a metallic tang lingering on my tongue. The metallic scent fills my nostrils, mingling with the earthy aroma of the forest floor and turning my stomach with its sickly sweetness.

I grit my teeth against the pain, digging my nails into the soft earth beneath me as I fight to maintain consciousness in the face of overwhelming agony.

Finally, after what feels like an eternity, the pressure against the back of my head eases, and I dare to steal a glance behind me.

A tall woman, probably at least 5’4”, catches my eye. Her raven hair cascades down to her thighs, framing her face with an air of elegance and mystery. But it’s her irises that give me pause.

Black irises? Isn’t that impossible? I always thought that black pupils were just an intense shade of brown, or maybe I’m missing something here?

I believe my mind’s playing tricks on me. Yet, as I lock eyes with her, there’s no mistaking it. Her pupils are an abyss of utter blackness, devoid of any discernible colour or light.

It’s a chilling sight, sending a shiver down my spine as I realise that there’s something profoundly unsettling about those obsidian orbs staring back at me.

The moment I look into her eyes, I pass out.

Waking up tied against a tree, I try screaming out. But no one’s going to hear me, so why even bother?

No one but these bastards who tied me up.

Seriously, who are these people, and what do they want with me?

My newly analytical mind kicks into overdrive, searching for any clue that might shed light on the situation.

Using my analyse skill once more, I focus on the figures surrounding me, hoping to glean any information that might help me understand their intentions. Their levels range from sixty-two to eighty-seven, far surpassing my own, and the multitude of skills they possess is daunting. I’m outmatched and outnumbered, with little hope of escape in my current predicament.

Am I going to be killed again? Who even are these people?

Panic arises, and my thoughts stand shrouded by the typical fight, flight, or freeze technique. And of course, my brain chooses to flee even though I’m already tied up to a tree.

I try to wriggle free from the ropes binding me to the tree, but they’re tied too tightly, cutting into my wrists and ankles with each futile attempt. Panic rises within me like a tidal wave, threatening to overwhelm my senses as I struggle against my restraints.

“Stop squirming. You’re only making things worse for yourself.”

I grit my teeth, frustration boiling within me as I continue to fight against my captivity. Every instinct screams at me to break free, to escape this nightmare, but the ropes hold me fast, their bonds unyielding.

“Who are you people? What do you want with me?” I demand, my voice trembling with a mixture of fear and anger.

“Stop squirming. You’re only making things worse for yourself.”

I grit my teeth, frustration boiling within me as I continue to fight against my captivity. Every instinct screams at me to break free, to escape this nightmare, but the ropes hold me fast, their bonds unyielding.

“Who are you people? What do you want with me?” I demand, my voice trembling with a mixture of fear and anger.

The figures surrounding me exchange glances, their expressions unreadable behind their ominous-looking masks and cloaks.

“You know… And you would do well to cooperate if you value your life.”

Her words send a chill down my spine, and I swallow hard, my throat dry with apprehension.

“Please, just tell me what you want from me. I’ll do anything, just… let me go.”

The woman’s cold, black eyes bore into mine, her gaze unwavering as she assesses me with a mixture of curiosity and suspicion.

After a few minutes of no conversation.

“What do you want from me?” I repeat, my voice trembling slightly despite my efforts to sound composed.

“Answers.”

“Answers?” I repeat.

“Don’t play dumb. You’re from the Vantablack Vanguard, aren’t you. Your presence gives it away.”

My heart races as the woman’s words sink in. The Vantablack Vanguard? I’ve never heard of such a group. What could they possibly want with me? And why do they seem so convinced that I’m a part of it?

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I insist, my voice firm despite the tremor of fear that runs through me. “I’ve never heard of the Vantablack Vanguard.”

The woman’s expression remains impassive, her black eyes boring into mine with an intensity that sends a shiver down my spine. “Lies! You wear their dark aura like a cloak, but you cannot hide from us.”

I swallow hard, my mind racing as I try to come up with an explanation for their accusations. How could I possibly be linked to a group I’ve never even heard of? It doesn’t make any sense.

“Look, I don’t know what you think you know about me, but I assure you, I’m not who you think I am.” I plead, desperation creeping into my voice.

“… Let’s see if you’re telling the truth then…” She mutters darkly, her voice laced with suspicion.

I brace myself for what comes next, my heart pounding in my chest as she forcefully tears open the back of my shirt, revealing the bare skin underneath.

The cool forest air brushes against my exposed flesh, sending a shiver down my spine as I wait for her next move. Every nerve in my body is on high alert, and my senses are hyper-aware of the danger that surrounds me.

But as the seconds tick by, nothing happens. The woman’s hands release their grip on my shirt, and she takes a step back, her expression inscrutable.

“There’s nothing… No emblem, no insignia. Nothing to suggest you’re one of them.”

Relief floods through me, mingling with the lingering fear and confusion that still clouds my mind.

I give the woman with a commanding presence a look she interprets as wanting answers, I assume, as she gives me a scrutinising look before speaking.

“We’re raiders.” she replies simply, her tone matter-of-fact. “We explore Dungeons, Ancient Ruins, Dwarven Mines, and other places, scavenging for treasures and relics that we can sell for a hefty price.”

My eyebrows shoot up in surprise. Raiders? The term conjures up images of bandits and criminals in my mind, but these people seem more organised and disciplined than your average group of outlaws.

“Who are you? Your name and origin.”

“Uhm—

“Speak.” She declares calmly.

“… My name is Sora… Sora Mugenshi.”

The woman looks interested for a second before instantly becoming guarded again. She crosses her arms and studies me with a calculating gaze.

“Sora Mugenshi…” she echoes, as if testing the name on her tongue.

“And your origin?” Her voice carries a hint of scepticism, as if she’s trying to uncover any hidden secrets or ulterior motives. I take a deep breath, gathering my thoughts before answering her question.

I shouldn’t tell her I come from another world, that’ll probably be the worst idea. She wouldn’t even believe it either.

What should I say…?

“I-I don’t know…”

“What?”

“I-I just woke up beside a massive tree with no knowledge of how I got there.” I stammer. It isn’t really a lie, so that counts… Right?

The woman’s eyebrows furrow in confusion, clearly not expecting my response.

“You don’t know how you got there?”

I nod, hoping she’ll buy my half-truth.

“It’s all a bit of a blur, to be honest. I just remember waking up there and feeling completely lost.” The woman studies me for a moment, her piercing gaze making me feel like she can see right through me.

“U-uhm… Is there anywhere safe you can take me? Away from this forest would be nice.”

The woman’s expression softens slightly as she considers my request.

“I will ask two of my members to escort you to a village. It is not far from here, and you will be safe there. I can guarantee that.”

“R-really?!”

I exclaim, relief flooding through me at the thought of finally being out of the dense, unfamiliar forest. The woman nods.

“Yes, really. We may not know much about you, but we do know that you are in need of help. And we are here to offer it.”

I feel a wave of gratitude wash over me as I thank her profusely. The woman simply nods, her eyes full of understanding.

After giving orders, she directs two of her raiders to accompany me to the village. Quickly, I turn my head towards them and suddenly remember the sword-shaped wound at the back of my head that had been inflicted by the blade she owns.

Despite the pain and vulnerability it causes me, I try to push the memory aside and focus on the present situation.

The intimidating woman notices this and offers to heal me. I fail to hesitate as I give her permission.

“You better compensate me for this…”

“wait wha—”

It’s too late. A shimmering green glow envelops me as I feel the pain and wounds fade away and heal.

I thank the commanding woman before setting off with the two raiders she anointed. We begin to traverse through the dense forest, and I can’t help but feel a sense of unease lingering in the air. The encounter with the raiders has left me shaken, and despite their assurances of safety, I can’t shake the feeling that danger still lurks in the shadows.

“So, Sora, tell us a bit about yourself.”

One of my escorts, a petite, black-haired, mischievous-looking child? No, scratch that, adolescent, maybe, spoke up. She earlier seemed like she were ready to hack and dissect me alive but now appears… intrigued?

“Well, there’s not much to tell, really. I woke up in this strange forest with no memory of how I got there or who I am. It’s been… disorienting, to say the least.”

The adolescent, whose name I learn is Houseki Kuroi, but prefers to go by Rin Everhart, nods sympathetically, her expression softening with understanding.

“That sounds rough. Must be scary waking up in a place like this with no recollection of how you got here.”

“It is.”

I lie again, knowing full well how I got here.

Despite my fear and uncertainty, I can’t help but marvel at the beauty of the forest and the creatures that inhabit it. Colourful songbirds flit through the branches, their melodic chirps filling the air.

“Hey, Sora, check this out!”

Rin’s voice snaps me out of my reverie, and I turn to see her holding up a delicate flower, its petals shimmering with purple hues.

“Isn’t it beautiful?”

I nod, a smile tugging at the corners of my lips.

“Yeah, it really is.”

As we walk, Rin points out various plants and animals, sharing her knowledge of the forest and its inhabitants. Despite my initial trepidation, I find myself feeling more at ease in her presence.

As we walk, Rin points out various plants and animals, sharing her knowledge of the forest and its inhabitants. Despite my initial trepidation, I find myself feeling more at ease in her presence.

“Now, now, let’s not get ahead of ourselves.” The other escort, a male with a scar on his eye, speaks up.

“Sorry, Valnar.”

Rin replies, acknowledging the male escort’s caution with a nod. His name, Valnar, a fitting moniker for someone with a scar that looks like it was inflicted by a dragon’s claw.

As we walk, my mind wanders, reflecting on the events that have led me to this moment. The encounter with the raiders shook me to the core, yet here I am, traversing through this mystical forest alongside them.

It’s surreal, to say the least.

The gentle rustle of leaves and the distant chirping of birds provide a comforting backdrop to my thoughts.

It’s as if nature itself is whispering words of reassurance, urging me to embrace the present moment and let go of my worries, if only for a little while.


PART 6 - Welcome to Ardent Hollow:

After walking through the woods for a long time, we arrive at a bright, open space—maybe it’s like a picture of a town at night. We’re standing on the edge of a cliff, overlooking a bustling town sprawled out below us.

I quickly look at the tall wooden gate, a protector at the town’s entrance. It gives off a strong and lasting feeling. From here, it looks like the paths below are made of cobblestones, but it’s tough to be sure from this far away. It’s a little hard to see the details from this distance.

The streets twist through the town like threads, bordered by varied buildings that bring the scene to life. I see homes, stores, and places like pubs and small hotels with their roofs sticking out like sharp edges on the skyline, making the town look different.

Oh, and we could all just forget about the infinitely glowing spheroid that conveniently covers the entire town, right? Its see-through red colour sparkles like a big gem in the sun, spreading a captivating light across the town. I’ve never seen anything like this. Well, most of the things here I’ve never really seen before.

“Welcome to—

“—Wah!”

Rin abruptly appears in front of me, startling me a little.

“—Ardent Hollow! Hehe… Sorry.”

Valnar casually moves ahead, likely to check out the view. Honestly, I’m not sure if he did or if it’s just my mind playing tricks on me—I’m still recovering from Rin’s surprise appearance.

“I highly suggest you take a break at Ardent Hollow. It’s a safe haven for many. And I trust Rin wouldn’t want to disturb that, would you, Rin? I suggest you think twice before doing anything that could potentially ruin someone’s peaceful retreat.”

“Ahaha… Yeah… Definitely…”

Valnar gives Rin a stern look for a moment before redirecting his focus to me.

“As I was saying, Ardent Hollow is known for its peaceful atmosphere and welcoming locals.”

“And it’s also warm!” Rin’s interruption brings a brief moment of levity to the conversation.

“I assume you like warmth…?” I look over at Rin, noticing the sincere warmth in her expression as I pose the question. Her enthusiastic nod is accompanied by a bright grin, lighting up her features.

Her enthusiastic nod is accompanied by a bright grin.

Valnar sighs as he gestures for us to follow him down a conveniently placed path down the cliff, leading us towards the town. As we descend, the features of this town become more pronounced, and the floor is indeed cobblestone.

“Ooh! Bulwark Painite Shards!”

“Bul-what?”

“Bulwark Painite Shards are what’s responsible for the glowing red barrier around the town.” Valnar, the rational one, explains.

Ahead, my eyes catch sight of pedestals adorned with bi-pointed, scarlet crystals, or perhaps they’re rocks infused with crystalline formations. Their fiery hue contrasts sharply against the verdant surroundings, their presence commanding attention like guardian spirits around the town’s perimeter.

“Bulwark Painite Shards…” I echo, the words flowing like a gentle stream from my lips. “Are there other types of Painite Shards?”

“Why do you say that, hmm?”

I pause, my thoughts swirling like cherry blossoms in the wind.

“Considering the way it’s worded, I just assumed there were other types—

“Well, you aren’t wrong! But going into details would be boring, so let’s just get into town already!”

Rin interjects with a cheerful grin.

Surprised by my own insight, I can’t help but feel a twinge of satisfaction.

 

As we approach, the gates loom larger and more grandiose than I had anticipated. Intricate symbols adorn them, depicting flaming torches, shields, swords, and a serpent ouroboros. Each detail is finely crafted, adding to the imposing presence of the entranceway.

The gate, crafted from wood, features a unique design. In the middle, a gap splits the gate into twin halves, each mirroring half of an eternal loop. These halves extend outward, creating the impression of a tree with branches stretching and multiplying. Etched into the gate, each branch is adorned with shimmering golden leaves, radiating a celestial aura.

The branches stretch infinitely, each new growth adding to the gate’s intricate charm with a touch of magnificence.

“So… Are we supposed to do something to enter…?”

“Nope! Just give that gate a little nudge, and voila! Welcome to the land of wonders!”

I pause momentarily, processing the information Rin just gave me. I find it hard to believe there’s no security in a village that looks like this, in a world where killer skeletons can hunt you down.

“… Really? No sense of security?”

“The spheroid barrier we just passed is the security. It allowed us to pass through because it relies on intense bloodlust and malice, among other negative things.”

Ah, that makes sense; I completely forgot about that spheroid.

Valnar pushes on the gate, and it easily swings open with a creak, revealing what could only be described as a utopia in my eyes.

“I’m aware Rin has already said, but welcome to Ardent Hollow. This is where you’ll be staying.”

As I step through the imposing gate, I’m immediately enveloped in a bluster of sights and sounds that electrify the air around me. Ardent Hollow bursts to life before my eyes.

“Wow…”

I can’t help but exhale in wonder, my eyes wide as I take in the bustling scene unfolding before me. It’s a veritable discrepancy to the hushed seclusion of the forest, and I find myself simultaneously exhilarated and overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of it all.

“Quite the lively place, isn’t it?”

Rin remarks, a smile playing at the corners of her lips as she gestures towards a group of children playing tag nearby. Their laughter rings out like silver bells, mingling with the hum of conversation.

I follow Rin’s gaze, my eyes drawn to the children darting through the crowd with lithe grace, their pointed ears and delicate wings marking them as elves. The sight fills me with curiosity.

“How come the children have pointy ears? Are they elves?”

“Why, of course!” She chuckles softly.

“But elves usually don’t have wings… Right?”

“They’re probably hybrids.”

“Eh? Hybrids?”

“Indeed, hybrids are a rare breed and are usually associated with good luck. But in Ardent Hollow, it’s not uncommon to see hybrids—individuals with traits from different races. It’s one of the many things that makes this town so unique and fortunate.”

Valnar interjects with a gruff but kind voice.

“Ah, I see…” I murmur, taking in the sight with renewed fascination.

As we turn a corner, the faint strains of music reach my ears, gradually growing louder with each step we take. The melody is lively and upbeat, drawing us inexorably towards its source.

“What’s that?” I ask, curiosity piqued by the tantalizing sound.

“Hmmm… I’m not sure, but it probably isn’t important right now, we need you a place to stay!”

I look at Valnar for confirmation.

“I hate to agree with Rin, but she’s right. You see, after we’ve successfully acquired you a place to stay, we have to return to the group, and we can’t afford to waste time for… reasons.”

“Reasons? What reasons?”

“Let’s leave the irrelevant things for now, shall we? We don’t want you to be sleeping in the streets.”

They’re hiding something from me…

I can sense it in the way they avoid my gaze and speak in esoteric terms. But for now, I push aside my suspicions.

Walking past the lively performance that captivates the crowd, I catch the enticing aroma wafting from the row of wooden food stalls, their golden glow beckoning with promises of delectable delights. My stomach growls in anticipation, and I can’t help but be drawn towards the mouth-watering aromas. I haven’t actually eaten since I was reincarnated, and I’m not even sure if resurrection replenishes my hunger. The thought of finally satisfying my hunger is almost overwhelming.

“Hey, Rin? Valnar? I’m starving. Can we grab something to eat at those stalls?”

Rin’s eyes sparkle with anticipation.

“Of course! You must be famished after everything that’s happened.”

Rin smiles as she leads the way to the wooden stalls; I follow Rin and Valnar to the stalls, my mouth watering at the sight of all the delicious options before me. The sizzling sounds and enticing smells only serve to intensify my hunger, reminding me of the simple pleasure of enjoying a good meal.

These meals look foreign yet luxurious, making me eager to try new dishes and experience different flavours. I can’t help but feel grateful for this opportunity to indulge in such decadence after what felt like an eternity of emptiness. As I stand at one of the stalls waiting lines, I can’t wait to dig in and savour every bite, excited to satisfy my hunger and potentially discover a new favourite dish.

“So… who’s footing the bill? And what are we even having?”

“I’m not sure… Sora?”

“Uhm…”

I check my pockets for any leftover yen I could have. I shouldn’t really expect anything considering I kinda have an altered body—or, that’s the conclusion I’ve come up with—but maybe I’ll be lucky and—

Oh. Wow, I actually have something: a handful of yen coins—a relic from my past life, a reminder of a world long gone.

“I have a couple of yen.”

“Y-e-n…? What’s y-e-n? Some kind of fairy?”

Valnar rubs his chin thoughtfully. “Hmm, could it be some sort of rare herb or potion ingredient?”

“Nah, that doesn’t sound right. Maybe it’s a new type of fruit or something?”

I let out a faint smile at their confusion, realising that they have no idea what yen is.

“Yen is actually a currency used to buy things.”

“Eh? It’s a currency? I’ve never heard of it. Besides, ‘y-e-n’ is a strange name. I doubt it’ll work here.”

“But it’s worth a try, right?”

“Well, I suppose so. I’m eyeing that long, meaty thing over there. It looks absolutely divine. Can you use your ‘y-e-n’ to get it, Sora?”

“At least let me choose what I want to eat first…”

“Hmph, fine!”

My stomach rumbles in agreement, eager to sample the delicacies laid out before us. After settling on a mouthwatering dish—a ball of succulent meat drizzled with savoury tare and garnished with fresh vegetables—as our turn comes, I attempt to pay with the only currency I have left—

“Nope, we ain’t takin’ whatever this… y-e-n thing is.”

I let out a nervous chuckle. The embarrassment of my failed attempt at payment washes over me like a wave, stirring up memories of past humiliations. The feeling of being an outsider, of not belonging, creeps back into my consciousness, threatening to engulf me once more.

“We only put up with Moonstone and Sunstones. If ya ain’t got none, then free grub’s part of the deal in this section here.” The seller, a big-looking woman with sharp blue eyes, horns that seem to have replaced her ears, and a pink apron, points to a smaller section of the menu (how does she even hear). “If ya don’t like ‘em you can leave.”

“Sorry about that…”

I mumble, my voice barely audible over the bustling noise of the food stalls.

Rin and Valnar exchange a glance. They may not know the full extent of my past, but they can sense my discomfort.

“It’s okay, Sora. At least you tried.”

Rin says gently, placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

I manage a weak smile and am grateful for her understanding and support. Returning to the menu, I peruse the offerings in the complimentary meal section, seeking a dish that resonates with local flavours and traditions. Despite my initial embarrassment, I can’t help but feel grateful for the generosity of the food vendors, offering sustenance to those who may not have the means to pay.

“I guess I’ll have… this.” I say, pointing to a simple but hearty stew made with local vegetables and tender chunks of meat.

I still find it strange how I’m able to speak the language of this world without my prior knowledge, but… you know what I’m going to say: probably my new body.

After patiently waiting for what feels like an eternity and our stomachs growling in expectation, our long-awaited food finally makes its grand entrance.

We make our way to a conveniently situated table nearby; the aroma wafting from our plates tantalises our senses, teasing our taste buds with promises of delight.

The food was… interesting, to say the least. It had a flavour that I couldn’t quite place, and while it wasn’t exactly unpleasant, it wasn’t exactly enjoyable either. It left me feeling a bit perplexed, to be honest.

But enough about the food. What really catches my attention is the architecture of the buildings surrounding us. The intricate designs and convoluted carvings speak of craftsmanship that’s truly awe-inspiring. I find myself slowing down, wanting to take in every detail, every nuance of these magnificent structures.

As we walk through the village, I notice the outdoor training areas—if that’s what they are, with their wooden stages and seemingly indestructible dummies—where people hone their skills. It’s fascinating to see them in action, their movements are fluid and precise. I can’t help but feel a twinge of envy as I watch them, wishing I had their level of mastery over whatever abilities they possess.

I can’t help but gawk at the variety of features on display among the village residents. Tails swishing behind them, horns adding an otherworldly aura, and, well, those eye-catching curves—clearly, this place has its own sense of style.

But beyond the physical characteristics, what truly captures my attention are the creatures, unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. Fairies flit through the air, their delicate wings shimmering in the sunlight. Elves exude an air of wisdom and grace as they go about their business. Kitsunes, with their multiple tails, exude an air of mischief and cunning. And then there are the cat girls and boys (yes, I do know what they are), with their feline features and playful demeanour.

“Hey! Check out that harpy over there!”

Rin notes, her voice filled with excitement as she points towards a graceful figure soaring through the sky.

I follow her gaze, my eyes widening at the sight of the harpy’s elegant wingspan and majestic flight.

“Wow, she’s incredible.”

Valnar gives an assenting nod as he watches the harpy glide effortlessly through the air.

“Indeed. Ardent Hollow is known for its diverse population and rich cultural heritage. It’s truly a sight to behold.”

As we continue our stroll through the bustling streets of Ardent Hollow, I can’t help but marvel at the unique beings that call this city home. From the graceful harpies to the mischievous cat-people, each creature adds to the vibrant tapestry of life in this magical place.

Eventually, we arrive at a massive inn, its exterior is a wooden wonderland of detailed carvings and colourful banners fluttering in the wind. Valnar gestures towards the entrance, a welcoming look on his face.

“This is where you’ll be staying.”

“In here?”

“Yep!”

“It looks so…—”

“Cosy and inviting? You couldn’t be more correct!”

I take a step inside, and Rin and Valnar follow close behind. The interior of the inn is just as enchanting as the outside, with high ceilings adorned with sparkling chandeliers and walls lined with paintings depicting scenes of mythical creatures and far-off lands.

The air is filled with the comforting scent of a crackling fireplace and delicious food being cooked in the kitchen. Plush armchairs and sofas are scattered around, inviting guests to relax and unwind after a long day of adventure.

“I have to ask something.”

“Hm? What is it, Sora?”

“You both are part of a raider group, right? When I think of raiders, I think of thieves and bandits. But you guys don’t seem like that at all. Is all you do really just explore dungeons to plunder loot?”

“Raiders aren’t really the same as bandits, Sora. While it’s true that we do explore dungeons and ancient ruins to seek out treasure and valuable artefacts, our motivations go beyond mere thievery.”

Rin turns to me with a semi-serious gaze before turning back.

“And besides, we’re fun to be around, right? Don’t you enjoy our company, Sora?”

“Well, at least you haven’t chopped me into pieces… So there’s that.”

Valnar let out a small chuckle at my response; that’s a rare thing, and we’ve only been with each other for about two hours.

“See, Sora, we’re not all bad.” Valnar said with a smirk. “In fact, we’re a pretty entertaining bunch once you get to know us.”

“I guess so…”

“Welp… I hate to say it, but we have to go.”

Valnar looked back at the entrance to the inn and sighed.

“We’ve probably spent too much time if I’m being honest, and being late is a no-go in our group… If you want to book a room, just ask the receptionist; surprisingly, they’re free.”

“I understand, but one thing?”

“Hm?”

“How do you know all this about Ardent Hollow anyway?”

“We’ve been here plenty of times, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that we know most about this place.”

As Valnar finishes his statement, he takes a step forward and starts making his way out of the cosy inn, his footsteps echoing softly against the wooden floor.

“Bye-bye!”

I can’t help but smile as Rin, standing beside him, raises her hand in a friendly gesture, and I reciprocate by waving back. However, a tinge of melancholy washes over me as I watch them gradually fade into the vibrant and bustling streets of Ardent Hollow.

I wonder when our paths will cross again. If they ever…

With a heavy heart, I turn to the receptionist to inquire about booking a room for the night. The receptionist smiles warmly and hands me a key, assuring me that a room is indeed available.

Relieved, I thank her and make my way up the carpeted staircase to my temporary sanctuary, hoping for a peaceful night’s rest.

The room is cosy, with a soft bed and a window overlooking the courtyard below. As I settle in, the sounds of the town outside fade away, and I feel a sense of calm wash over me.

As I fall flat onto a reasonably comfy wooden bed, I can feel the exhaustion from my journey slowly melting away. The crisp white sheets and fluffy pillows invite me to relax and unwind, and I quickly drift off into a deep slumber…

Did I even lock the door…? … I don’t care; the bed is just too comfortable.

1