Chapter 3: In which Calais gives life advice even though her own life is a mess
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While the so-called rebellion was having dinner, the other chosen were busy trying to locate them. It was no secret that some people were trying to go against the will of the gods. Yet, their location remained unknown.
And as the other soon-to-be gods were furiously discussing the situation, only one remained calm. She was watching everyone, thinking that they were incredibly stupid.
Her blue eyes narrowed as soon as she heard one of them say something bad about all three rebels. Yet, she didn’t bother to interrupt. Instead she turned around and left towards the hall’s grand balcony.
Beryl actually empathized with the three. First, Natty, chosen by the goddess of nature, didn’t like her powers. Beryl deemed that as relatable. Then, Vincent got chosen by mistake and didn’t have any sort of connection to his magic. Beryl could sort of relate to that too. Then there was the newest member, Calais.
Beryl didn’t really know the girl. Of course, there were rumors about the brown-haired, but Beryl knew better than to listen to what others, especially angry gods, had to say.
,,Hey there” a voice called ,,fancy seeing you here.”
Beryl put her hands in the pockets of her knee-length dress.
,,Verita, what a pleasant surprise.”
,,What are you thinking about?” the goddess inquired.
Beryl turned to stare at the deity. One day she would look like that too, with a crown on top of her head, a possible scepter in her hand and an air of superiority.
,,Life in general” Beryl replied, even though she was actually thinking about something else.
,,Nice try lying to me” Verita smirked. Beryl closed her eyes and enjoyed the sun for a moment.
,,I am terribly sorry Your Highness. I was merely thinking that my thoughts wouldn’t be interesting enough for this conversation.”
,,I’m always interested in what you have to say Beryl.”
,,Then, answer me this: What is immortality?”
,,A concept” Verita quickly replied ,,A myth in some people’s eyes. Very interpretable. My definition of immortality might be different from yours.”
Beryl opened her eyes but quickly closed them back, since the sun was a bit too bright.
,,And what do you think immortality means for Calais?”
Verita blinked.
,,I believe, she doesn’t even think about that.”
˗ˏˋ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Around the time Beryl and Verita finished their philosophical conversation, Calais had just finished cleaning up Natty’s plants.
In the kitchen, Natty and Vincent (on Calais’ order) were making lists of every other future god they knew about.
,,If we’re going to go against them, we have to know everything about them” Calais said.
As soon as she finished (and left the living room in a better condition) Calais joined them. She looked over their notes.
,,Well this is going to be tricky” she said ,,It’s us against all of them. And they’re pretty powerful too.”
,,Yeah, but we’ve got Vincent” Natty explained ,,Chosen by the goddess of death.”
,,Ahem” Calais pointed towards the ones chosen by the gods of life and time ,,But they’ve got this.”
,,We’re at every disadvantage” Vincent complained ,,Ever if we manage to destroy the new generation of gods who have yet to gain immortality, how do we deal with the old ones?”
,,We’ll have to wait until the transfer process” Natty explained.
,,But that won’t start unless they find us and force us to become gods” Vincent whined ,,It’s pretty much hopeless.”
,,Wait quick question” Calais cut in ,,If they don’t find us, won’t they be forced to choose someone else?”
,,Once they put their seal on you and transferred a small bit of their power they can’t go back.”
,,Unless we force them to” Calais suddenly had an idea ,,Every process is reversible. This one should be too. We just need a confirmation.”
,,Also” Calais added ,,I don’t think Verita put the seal on me yet. I mean, I can’t do anything. You two never even told me what she was the goddess of.”
,,We thought you knew” Vincent clarified ,,Her power just isn’t visible.”
,,Well?”
,,I mean, all the other immortals or almost immortals deem it as useless, but we don’t share their opinion” Natty explained ,,You can basically know if someone is lying.”
Calais raised a brow.
,,I thought that was a special skill of mine.”
,,It’s a power. We think it’s very cool.”
,,But others say it’s basic. They say that every person who’s got a bit of knowledge in basic psychology can know that…”
,,We don’t know the details ourselves.”
,,We just…”
,,Okay, okay I got it” Calais stopped them ,,Well, in this case, it really is useless.”
The conversation ended there because it got late. Calais went to her now immaculate room and laid down on her new bed.
She quickly got up though because the bed was very uncomfortable.
Her day had truly been a mess. First the bathtub jumpscare. Second the truth about why Verita liked her so much. Third, new friends and a new place to live. And alas, a new life goal.
Up until then, Calais’ only thought was to graduate and live a somewhat peaceful life. Her dream was to go to France and open her own business.
But now that she had joined the rebellion, that dream suddenly didn’t matter that much. Calais had taken the notes the other two wrote and reread them. All the others chosen were highly powerful and could easily kill someone.
And Calais didn’t want to die.
Calais reread those notes until she had memorized every single one of them. Then, by midnight, someone knocked on the door. Before Calais could say something, Natty entered.
,,Vincent fell asleep” she said.
,,You’re worried” Calais guessed.
,,Indeed. It’s a rebellion against gods, against timeless beings. I can’t just…Vincent expects me to lead us. I don’t think I can do this.”
Calais patted the bed. Natty sat down and shifted a bit, since, the bed was really uncomfy.
,,Listen Natty…I’ve only known you for a day and this is why I don’t know if you’re a good leader or not. But what I’ve noticed is that you don’t lack initiative. It was you who built the rebellion, correct?”
Natty fidgeted with her fingers.
,,Yeah. I was miserable. And then I met Vincent, this…14 year old kid that got chosen by mistake. And then I came up with a brilliant plan: to start a revolution. But this doesn’t seem like a good idea anymore…I mean, you’ve read what we know so far about the opposite side. They’re powerful. And I don’t think the three of us can stop them. Eventually we’ll have to accept a destiny we do not desire.”
,,You’re scared you’re going to fail Vincent” Calais observed.
,,Yeah…that especially. He put his trust in me. Thinks that I’m like a cooler older sister.”
,,Which you are. I mean, you’re a cool person. We’ve only met today but…I feel like we’re going to be great friends.”
,,You know…” Natty confessed ,,There’s this theory that the new generation of gods always have the same relationship with each other as the previous ones. So like if two gods from the older generation were friends, the ones in the new generation are also going to be acquainted.”
,,Hmm what about Verita and your god?”
,,They’re friends” Natty smiled ,,Heard they have deep talks like these every evening.”
,,Especially when the goddess of death is asleep” Calais laughed ,,Is the theory true though?”
,,I like to believe it is.”
,,Well then, in this generation we’re not going to be just friends. We’re going to be family.”

0