Chap 6: The First Mission (Rewrited)
515 17 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After these gains, the following weeks were less intense. Maxwell was taught some basics about the army, including survival techniques, terrain reconnaissance, trap location, communication protocols, and more. One day was even dedicated to familiarizing the recruits with Pandora's native species and their vulnerabilities, instructing them on when to retreat and when to eliminate threats. The funniest thing was seeing the bandits being put together with the planet's fauna, Atlas only saw them as wild animals.

The final week culminated in military knowledge and firearms training. For Maxwell, it felt like more of the same, resulting in minimal gains aside from a few extra levels in Trigger Discipline.

However, amidst this practical training, the indoctrination from Atlas continued unabated. Maxwell paid little heed; it was all about patriotism and the threat of severe punishment for deserters, nothing new in the corporate world of Borderlands.

Ten weeks later…

All the recruits met in a briefing room at the military base to receive their orders before leaving. Maxwell was sitting in the darkest corner of the briefing room, with a rigid posture and frowning eyebrows. His eyes were fixed on the knife he was twirling, each twist of the blade an attempt to dissipate the nervous energy boiling up inside him.

The fan in the ceiling rotated monotonously, casting a shadow from the cold light of the spotlight on the ceiling. The creaking sound of the fan was the only sound apart from the whispered murmurs of the restless recruits and the occasional cough.

The room suddenly fell silent, Maxwell could have sworn that even the squeaking of the fan had stopped. A tall man in a uniform full of insignia and medals enters the room.

Everyone stood up and saluted, to which the officer merely nodded in response. He went to the center of the room, where a holographic screen showed Old Haven.

"Recruits," his eyes traveled around the room, assessing each face with penetrating intensity. "Our task is of the utmost importance. We must retake Old Haven and establish a secure presence in the region. Pay attention, any lack of care can lead to your death and that of your mates."

"We have all the advantages on our side, but it's always good to have backup plans." As the officer spoke, he pointed to the holographic screen, which showed a detailed blueprint of Old Haven, identifying possible routes and areas of interest. He then points to Old Haven's sewage system. "If the bandits show too much resistance, we'll send a squad to invade through the sewers, sabotage their defenses, contaminate their water, and poison their food."

"Sir, where does this sewage go? I see that it seems to be connected to another location." A soldier raises his hand, pointing out that the sewage system seems to be connected to another location.

"It's nothing relevant, the sewer is connected to a site that had been used by a corporation."

"Get ready, we're leaving in five hours," concluded the officer, his voice echoing in the room. "No more questions? OK, that concludes it, dismissed!"

Stowing his knife in his holster, Maxwell gets up and goes to pack his things. He had received basic equipment from the Atlas army after completing his training. Reaching his bed, he pulls a rucksack from under his bed. He takes out a red helmet, his infantry uniform that came with a standard bulletproof vest, a classic piece of Atlas equipment of level-one.

Spoiler

Armor 1 - Armor 2 - Armor 3

[collapse]

Putting on his helmet, Maxwell felt the air become cleaner, the helmets came with an air filter, although it took a while to get used to the reduction in your field of vision. When he put on his uniform he felt warmer, but he would soon know that it would be hell when he was no longer in his Salt Flats.

Duly dressed, he picked up an assault rifle strapped to the side of his rucksack, along with 5 full magazines and 10 boxes of Atlas ammunition resembling 5.62x45mm.

He loads the gun with one magazine and locks it, storing the rest of the magazines in his pockets. He kept his boxes of ammo for his weaponry in his ECHO, along with a canteen of water, and five MREs he had received for the mission. Although ECHO's inventories didn't delay the time for food to spoil or keep water cold, it still kept her supplies safe, then it would be good to keep them in his inventory.

"P2016, Knives, ammo, flashlight, food and water... Huh, I think I'm forgetting something." With four of his six ECHO slots already filled, Maxwell does one last check, finally realizing what was missing

"Oh! The shield, how I'd almost forgotten!"

Maxwell rummages through his rucksack and pulls out a small device that he plugs into his ECHO before strapping it around his waist, a force field covers Maxwell's body like a thin layer. It was a simple shield, it could withstand 1-2 shots depending on the caliber, it took 7 seconds to fully recharge and it had a lifespan of 100 recharges before it became waste. Typical cannon fodder equipment, but better than nothing.

"Alright, I'm ready" Letting out a sigh, Maxwell makes his way to Crimson Fastness. He stopped in front of the Lancer they were using to get to Old Haven, it was a terrain vehicle as ships would attract unwanted attention. Lancers are heavily armored military vehicles with heavy weaponry, requiring four operators to use all the vehicle's weapons. Their tires were gigantic, perfect for the rough and unfavorable terrain.

Arriving at the back, Maxwell waits for the back to be opened, he sees that there are already some people inside. The eyes of those present followed Maxwell as he chose a seat. The silence didn't last long when what Maxwell assumed to be the leader in his level-three gear introduced himself.

"I thought the newcomer had chickened out, I'm King, and I'll be leading the Tango squad. You may be new to the team, but I expect to count on you to pull your weight and follow orders. You understood, Pawn?"

"Yes, sir!" Maxwell nodded.

"Great," King pointed to the soldier next to him, who, like everyone else present, was wearing level-two Atlas equipment. The only difference, however, was that there was a doctor's symbol on his uniform. "This is the Bishop, treat this guy like your father, he'll not only treat your physical wounds, but your mind as well."

"How are you, young man? Don't be shy if you need someone to vent to, the first kill is always the scariest." Bishop gave a thumbs-up, even though his voice was muffled by his helmet, his voice calm and gentle.

"I'm ok, sir, thank you for your concern." Maxwell gave a thumbs-up back.

King pointed at the soldier with arms crossed, the man, in particular, stood out from the crowd because he was the tallest, and his muscular body was noticeable through his uniform.

"This is Rook, He's our weapons specialist and logistics expert. Rook's your man, any issues with your gear, or any modifications you need."

Rook, with a subtle Russian accent, adds, "If you vant to outlive ze other Pawns, let Rook give your pea-shoohter a makeover, buddy," gesturing toward Maxwell's holstered P2016.

Maxwell's eyebrow raises at the unexpected accent, but he quickly recalls the diverse accents of Elpis's inhabitants.

"Maybe another time R-" Before he can respond, the other soldier interjects with a jest.

"Come on Rook, you're married but you keep asking to take a look at every man's 'gun', I don't know mate, your wif-"

*Gun cocking noises

"Shut up Knight, and Rook, put away that anti-materiel rifle." King rubbed his forehead, everything was going so well until Knight opened his mouth.

Rook grumbles quietly but still puts his rifle back in his ECHO case.

Sighing, King points to the last soldier present.

"And last but not least," Sighing, King announces, gesturing towards the final soldier. "Meet Knight. He's our eyes and ears on the field, our sniper and reconnaissance officer."

"Yeah yeah, that's me," Knight chimes in, his tone dripping with swagger. "I'm the guy you call when you need a little 'extra' flair on the battlefield. Sniper by trade, recon by choice, and all-around badass by nature."

"Between you and me," Rook leans towards Maxwell and whispers in his distinctive Russian accent. "He can barely hit the broad side of a barn, much less when he's aiming for the john."

“HEY!” Knight barked in offense, the entire squadron had heard Rook's mockery.

Maxwell can't resist, and a slight snicker escapes from his nose. The squadron he's in is rather odd.

“Shut up, we've got everyone. We're leaving.”

King receives a message from his ECHO and signals the Lancer driver to leave. A dozen Lancers leave the Crimson Fastness gate through the Salt Flats to Old Haven.

Maxwell is distracted as he looks through the tiny window of the vehicle, watching the beasts on wheels kick up a trail of dust. His eyes turn to the floating blue screen.

_____ 

Name: Maxwell Williams 

Regeneration: 0 

[STR: 29] [END: 37] [DEX: 30] [INT: 18] 

Skills: [Trigger Discipline lv.7] [Blade Mastery lv.3]

 ___ 

Functions: [Hangar] [Quest Board] 

Credits: $6 

_____

Maxwell is brought back from his stupor when he feels the vehicle slow down and his heart unconsciously starts racing.

Checking the chamber of his gun one last time, Maxwell joins his squad as they exit the vehicle when the back door opens. A few hundred meters away Maxwell could see his target, some thugs were patrolling the area, oblivious to the fact that they were being attacked. Thanks to the dune terrain, allowed them to hide among the natural waves that served as trenches. 

Maxwell narrowed his eyes, his vision of the horizon distorted by the intense heat, his temperature beginning to rise the moment he stepped out of the vehicle.

“Hey Pawn, help me out here.” Rook pulls a S&S heavy machine gun from his ECHO, the weapon raising a cloud of dust as it falls to the sandy ground. Maxwell and Rook take the gun and position it in a strategic place. Maxwell grunts softly as he feels the weight of the gun, the veins in his arm showing from the effort.

Finishing positioning the weapon, Maxwell returns to his squad. He notices Knight's absence but attributes it to the man having found a position to assist.

“All units must move away from the main gate, bombing on the way.”

Maxwell receives a message from an officer on his ECHO, and it doesn't take long for a group of Lancers to rain down missiles on the gate.

BOOOM!

Maxwell ducked down, even from a distance he could feel the tremors and the deafening noise. Rising from his position, he sees the rubble of what used to be a gate, various pieces of flesh, and severed limbs all over the place.   

Old Haven buzzes with the screams of bandits and psychos. Maxwell instinctively ducks when he hears a machine gun roaring at the psychos advancing against them. The bandits were not as insane as the psychos and mounted a resistance, knowing that they would be lost if the Atlas army invaded. 

Maxwell couldn't stay hidden for long when he was ordered to advance over the cover of the suppressive fire.

Maxwell was not alone in his advance, there were other soldiers in level-one armor. Arriving at the entrance, Maxwell threw himself against the wall, finally realizing he was breathing heavily.

Maxwell wanted to take a look, but he ducked his head just in time to avoid a burst of gunfire from the bandits. His face paled as he almost lost his head.

“THROWING FLASHBANG!”

Amid the confused gunfire, Maxwell heard someone scream, he looked up and a projectile flew over his head, the next instant an explosion was heard with a loud flash.

Maxwell's brain was trying to reason out what was happening, but his body moved on instinct as he saw an opportunity to kill his enemies. Leaning his upper body out of the cover, Maxwell began firing at everything that moved on the other side. He returned to cover and threw the empty magazine on the ground, reloading the next one and firing.

The Atlas soldiers advance, entering the entrance as they see the enemy defenses vulnerable, Maxwell follows close behind but throws himself against a nearby wall as more bandits appear. His move was made without hesitation, with those who weren't quick enough being shot without pity, their shields torn to shreds.

Maxwell's hands began to tremble with nervousness as he could feel the vibrations of the bullets hitting the wall against his back. It felt like he was in a massage chair.

He saw an Atlas soldier next to him, he was lying down and trembling, a pool of yellow liquid beneath him. Maxwell didn't judge the poor man going through shell shock, he could feel his bladder on edge after almost dying several times.

Bending down, he picks up a grenade from the man's waistband. The man is startled and begins to scream, but Maxwell doesn't care as he feels time running out. Removing the pin from the grenade, Maxwell waits a few seconds before throwing it, shouts echoing from the bandits before being silenced by the explosion.

Leaning in slightly to assess the damage, Maxwell jumps in fright when the soldier behind him shuts up abruptly. Turning around swiftly, he draws his P2016 from his waistband. This proves to be a mistake when he finds a psycho leaping from the Atlas soldier to him with a buzzaxe.

Maxwell tries to shoot but due to the limited space, the psycho manages to jump on Maxwell and knock him down, his buzz axe descending on the man's head.

The shield reflects the blow, he tries to aim for the psycho's head but the psycho punches him in the face, causing him to miss his shot.

Maxwell feels his head spin as he is punched in the head, but he regains his senses when he feels an axe coming down on his torso, a scream of pain coming from his throat.

Fortunately, his END stats were high enough for it not to have been a fatal blow. The pain seemed to have reminded him of the basics of CQC.

The psycho violently pulls his buzz axe into Maxwell's chest, blood following the movement of the axe, the psycho wanted to strike another blow, but suddenly felt his body go lethargic. That was the last thing the psycho did before falling on his side, a Data Knife stuck in his throat.

Maxwell removes the corpse from above him, and he reclines on the wall. His head lowers to see his bloodied bulletproof vest, he looks around, his vision is blurred but he can still see King and Rook approaching, feeling relieved, he passes out.

17