Chapter 10: This Witch Arrives in Tinderwick
1k 24 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The carriage rolled on with the capital city looming in the distance. Candlewax Kingdom’s capital city was massive. The giant gates stood in contrast to the surrounding landscape, and a river ran around it—a natural barrier only crossable from our road. We traversed the stone bridge towards the towering castle walls. There was a line of carriages trying to enter the city. 

“Eerie,” Mary said, “can you bring out the luggage?” 

I did as she said and pulled their bags out of my inventory, placing them in the free space of the carriage. When it was our turn to pull up to the gates, a guard spoke to our drivers. 

“Identification please,” the guard said, “and your reason for coming to Tinderwick.” He wore dark grey leathery armor, and a red chain hung over his shoulder. Another guard with a gold chain and plate armor joined his side. Before our drivers could answer the first guard, the new guard spoke. 

“Routine inspection,” the gold chain guard said. “Pull your carriage over there.” He pointed to the side and flicked his clipboard before looking at the first guard. “Make sure to follow protocol. We must be diligent with the heroes here.”

The first guard saluted. “Yes, sir!” 

As we were pulling the carriage over, I stared at Mary.

“I figured this would happen,” Mary said, smiling at me. “That’s why I had you pull out those bags.”

“Step out of the carriage and leave all belongings inside except for what’s on your personage,” the guard said. We listened to his request and climbed out. “Don’t worry, there are no body searches at this time.” 

Another guard started searching our carriage and looking through our luggage. The guard that had been talking to us addressed Wood Beach. “Are you the leader of this group?” 

“No, that would be her,” Wood said, pointing at Mary. 

“Ma’am, what business do you all have in the city?” 

“I am transferring guild branches. We came from Startour Port,” Mary said. 

After that, we all handed him our guild cards. He inspected them with a black stone device, and everything seemed fine until he scanned my card. I started panicking as he waved me over. I didn’t want to be labeled a criminal on my first day in the capital city!

“Are you Miss Witchhat?” The guard asked. 

“Yes.”

He smiled at me and handed me my card before bowing. “My apologies, Miss, but please understand our current position.”

I had no idea what he was talking about, so I looked back to Mary for help. However, that witch simply giggled at my plight! Was this an actress’ introduction? I wondered if I was supposed to play a role here. Thinking like that, there was only one thing I could do.

I curtsied to him. “It’s no problem. I understand. Our troupe hasn’t really been transparent. Had we been transparent, I am sure there’d be no need for inspection.” 

“Indeed, I was slightly surprised seeing your card and attire. Still, someone of your status, I would expect to have a different company.” 

“Huh?”

“Miss Witchhat is traveling in secret. Besides, she is plenty good at magic,” Mary said. “Can you hand us back our cards, please?”

“Ah, yes, sorry about that.” He then called the other guard down from the carriage. “These ones are good!” The guard handed the other’s back their cards. “If you visit the castle, you might be able to meet the heroes. Otherwise, if you wish to keep a low profile, I recommend the Duke’s House.”

Mary thanked him, and we waved goodbye to the guards as we climbed back into the carriage. 

“I’d do anything not to meet the heroes,” Mary said as we started moving again. “But it seems I will have to anyway.”

While she was crinkling her face, I was observing the city. Many people were roaming the street. Food stalls dotted the entrance in small intervals. Looking at the people, most wore linen or some type of leather. A few had different attire, but those were only some shoppers—people with armor and swords, bows or robes. Further along the street, there were other structures and stores. A bustling medieval city was something I had never expected to see. 

Unlike the wooden buildings in Startour Port, many here were stone-made. Focusing magic into my eyes, several of them had strengthening enchantments. The city walls had the most robust enchantment—a huge glow to my magic eyesight. Even some people’s clothes glowed, though not nearly as much as my robes. The carriage eventually stopped at an inn further down from the adventurer’s guild.

“I guess this ends our quest,” Mary said. “I will process it for you tomorrow. It will likely take that long for my introduction.” She pulled out a small metal plate connected to a chain from her magic bag and handed it to me.

“What’s this?” I asked. 

“It seems that one of those bandits was in the army here. This should serve as proof of subjugation. As the one who dealt with them, you will be rewarded if you bring this to the guild.”

I looked at Hela, and she was nodding in agreement. She’d been reticent for a while. “She’s right,” The elf said. “Um, if you want to, you could join our party. I could learn a lot from you.” 

I looked at her face, and it seemed forlorn. I knew what this was. She was trying to be nice about it, but it was one of those things, wasn’t it? Hela was inviting me to her party, but she was trying to let me down gently—hoping I would say no.

“Eerie,” Mary said, “It’s not whatever you are thinking.” She grabbed onto my shoulders. “It would make me feel better if you were in a party, but it’s your choice.”

I looked into Hela’s expectant eyes. However, I shook my head. “I am sorry. I can’t.”

“I see,” she said. “Then, I will have to make you aware of us!” Hela clenched her fist just as my confusion set in. 

64