Chapter 15: Witchermission- 1
851 21 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mary resisted the urge to twitch her eyebrows. She resisted the urge to scream. She resisted the urge to punch a hole into the castle’s floor. She resisted the urge to fly out of a window and run away. She resisted the urge to find Eerie and squeeze her cheeks until satisfied. Instead, Mary smiled and knelt before King Tallow of Candlewax Kingdom. 

“I am sure you know why you’ve been called here,” King Tallow said. 

Mary looked up as she was addressed by the old king. He may have been old, but his muscles threatened to rip through his red-golden armor. Next to his throne were the candle golems from which the kingdom got its name. At the will of Tallow, Mary would be burnt to cinders by them if the King decided. 

There’s also them. 

She looked to the side of the red carpet, and tons of royal knights lined up in case Mary did something dumb. Finally, she looked back to the king and answered.

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

“Good,” The King said, “I am told you knew the assailant.” 

“Yes, Your Majesty. She is my friend.”

The King grinned. “Oh? She is?”

Mary then explained how she met Eerie and the events that led up to her arrival in the capital. Usually, Mary could lie or mislead, but she was not fond of the candles watching her every move. She told the whole truth until Eerie’s promotion from E to D rank. However, Mary had been able to leave out some details. The fact that she didn’t have Eerie explain where she got some of those crazy materials proved to be a boon out of sight and out of mind.

The guild receptionist recalled her promotion a few days prior. Mary had become a guild master in training at the recommendation of many in Startour Port. She hadn’t expected the capital to welcome their requests but supposed that if many adventurers recommended her, it must be so. 

Of course, Mary knew that Eerie was an enigma. She knew that the girl was aloof and had no idea about anything in this world. But Mary also knew that the witch was kind-hearted. She would never kidnap heroes for her own gain. 

Knowing that girl, she probably thought it was the best solution. 

Mary sighed and held her head when the king finally dismissed her. The next ones to grill her with questions were the five remaining heroes. 

After it was over and the whole castle had its turn, she was finally freed to go. Mary knew the kingdom’s eyes would be on her now. If Eerie reached out to her, then the kingdom would be watching. Mary just hoped that the King and the heroes would be forgiving of the dummy witch. 

When Mary got to her inn room, she rubbed her temples. “Eerie, please come back soon.” She smiled and started laughing. “I want to give you a pleasant welcome at the guild.”

Mary had long since abandoned her title of Wrath, but now, she felt she could unleash some of it on Eerie. 

In another part of the city in the noble district, Duke Granford tended to his daughter at night. He sat next to her bed, desperately wishing for this nightmare to end. He placed a wet, warm towel on her forehead. 

His daughter’s body was pale. The High Priestess of the Church of Kreah had told him there was no cure, so he spent his time languishing over her future death. Duke Granford held her tiny hand, praying for an end to this. 

The little girl, Grimore, opened her eyes—something she rarely did anymore. “Fa…ther.”

The Duke almost jumped from his seat, but he held firmly into her gaze. “Yes, darling?” He asked and fought back the tears.

“I’m…Gl…ad. You’re…here,” The girl said, closing her eyes once more. 

Duke Granford nodded and clenched his eyes shut, finally tucking her in for the night. He kissed her forehead before leaving the room. 

Outside, his faithful maid waited for him. “Milord,” She said solemnly. 

“It’s okay,” The Duke said, smiling at the maid. “Was there anything new while I was preoccupied?”

“Someone is waiting in the lobby,” She said.

Duke Granford nodded and headed to the lobby of his large manor. His family had been wealthy for generations, owing to their unique skills. But he would give it all up in a heartbeat to see his little girl walk and play again. 

Still, he maintained his composure while sitting across from an esteemed guest, Reddul, Tinderwick’s potion master. However, so far, not even she could give him the news he desired—that some potion she could make would cure it. 

“Good evening, Duke,” She said and bowed.

“Please, skip the pleasantries.”

“Well then,” The darkelf said. “I have both good news and bad news regarding your daughter’s condition.”

Granford almost jumped out of his seat. “Did you find something!?”

“Like I said, I have both good and bad news.”

“Out with it!” 

Reddul sighed. “It’s not that simple, and I need you to calm down first.”

The Duke nodded and took deep breaths before sinking back into his couch. It was at that time his maid delivered tea. “Milord, please, drink this.”

He obliged his maid’s request and drank the magic-infused tea. It worked its effect to calm his nerves. When he calmed down sufficiently, the darkelf started again without further delay.

“The good and bad news come from the same person, so I will start with the good news. First, I met someone who can cure your daughter.”

“I must meet this person at once!” He started to stand up before Reddul interjected again.

“That’s the bad news, you can’t. The woman who can cure your daughter is none other than this country’s fugitive who kidnapped the heroes, Eerie von Witchhat.”

Having heard the bad news, the Duke slumped in his seat again. However, there was a fire lit in his eyes. Duke Granford would exhaust all of his resources to find that witch.

56