Chapter 21: Miss Witch has a Mission 2
1k 21 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Black Mist watched from a tower. He gazed into the Duke’s mansion to observe. Deep down, he knew that trying to kill the heroes with the witch there would be an impossibility. The assassin made himself like a fly on the wall, simply watching from a distance.

With 5000 mythril coins, he could easily retire and disappear. But he didn’t like the idea of the kingdom sending men after him the rest of his life.

He’d already been on the run since the day the mists killed his mother. His whole life was spent running and assassinating. Killing was one of the only things he knew.

“A green glow? Healing magic?” He couldn’t believe his eyes. Green runes broke through the ceiling of the Duke’s manor. They pierced the heavens. “I knew that one was bad news.”

That’s when he felt it. A powerful sensation hit him, singeing his skin to the bone. A green glow washed over his whole body as he yelped in pain. He felt it attack his soul, but he knew why. “That damn healing magic!”

I knew that witch was too strong! Did she know I was here? I have to get away!

The assassin turned back into a mist and fled down the tower. If I was closer I would have died! This is too dangerous…I have to tell the guild.

He would need to get out of the city and find a new guild branch. Black Mist fled the city with his 5000 coins.

He’d have to find another opportunity to kill the heroes, or he’d be chased forever by Count Ahole’s men. Alternatively, he could try to kill the count and flee to Snuffle Empire, but he’d not be welcome in any guild branch after a failure.

He grunted as he reached the forest. “Just who is that person?”

///

“Fa...ther?”

“Darling!”

“Father!”

The Duke’s daughter jumped and hugged him. The signs of her sickness had been vanquished. They held onto each other tightly, and the scene brought a tear to my eye. These darned actors were too much for this poor witch!

“How do you feel?” Duke Granford asked.

The little girl responded by jumping out of bed. “I feel amazing!”

The Duke hugged her again before looking to me. “Thank you so much, Miss Witchhat!”

“D-don’t mention it!”

The king clapped. “It seemed like my judgment was not misplaced.” He looked pointedly at the hero, Riri. “There should be no doubt now.”

She nodded. “I never had doubts to begin with. I am more than a little surprised, though.”

“This is not the place to discuss, anyway. Granford, I give you permission to take a leave of absence. In the meantime, we will adjourn to the castle.”

“Thanks, Your Majesty!” Duke Granford looked back to me once more. “I will never forget this as long as I live.”

///

“As you all should see, she is not an evil witch.”

Darkness descended over the city by the time we got back to the castle. The two heroes who’d made a scene still glared at me, even after that spectacle. However, Mary was all smiles, and of course, Sine clung to me like I was going to die.

“Now then, I have a proposal,” King Tallow said. “This witch is far more gifted than our current heroes. Surely, this is no mistake.” He looked directly into my eyes. “I’d like if you could join the heroes in the upcoming dungeon trial.”

“Huh? No, wait a minute! This doesn’t make any sense!”

Mary ignored my pleas and spoke. “Well, if it’s a personal request put in at the guild, she’d have little chance to refuse!”

“My, that’s a wonderful idea!”

The nods filled the castle. No, wait a minute! This witch wasn’t prepared for dungeon crawling! What would happen if there was a boss in there? Also, the goddess of this world was clearly watching me.

“Are you sure this is wise, Your Majesty!” Finally a hero with sense, the axeman, spoke. “She was a criminal until just a moment ago!”

I nodded along with his explanation. Even if I didn’t want to be labeled as a criminal, I definitely didn’t want to go dungeon diving. The image brought a picture of slimes who like to eat clothing and little goblins running around.

“As you can see, she is the best person for the job. Not to mention, she’d be able to teach you heroes a thing or two.”

I looked to my potential savior, Mary. But she smiled and winked at me. Why was she doing this?

“For the time being, why don’t you stay in the castle? Shelter and food will be provided,” the king said.

“It doesn’t seem like I am being given much of a choice…” I sighed. “No, I don’t want to stay in the castle. I would prefer to stay in my home if possible.”

“Your home?”

“Yeah, I have a personal space,” I said. “Think of it like another dimension. Only, there is a mansion in there! Oh, it even has a bath and a garden!” I nodded. “Yep, I’d much rather stay in my own home.”

“Hoh? So, you are even able to do something like that? Mind if we see that home of yours? After all, how am I to judge if it’s safe without seeing it?”

“Oh, that should be no problem,” I said, opening a large black portal in the throneroom. “All you have to do is come inside of this portal, and then you will see that it’s safe.”

Gasps filled the room with the last few retainers of the king standing there. The king chuckled again.

“I see. There will be no need,” he said, putting his hand up. “However, this makes me want to request something else of you.”

“What is it?”

“The heroes had been lamenting about living here. Is there a way for you to give them bedding in there?”

I put my arms up and made them into an X. “NO!”

“Oh well…” King Tallow looked to the elderly woman that had been following us. “Can you at least show her the inside? It doesn’t have to be today…Anyway, it’s been a long day, so we will finish this up.” He addressed the heroes and advisors last. “By the way, I will be going on this escapade to the dungeon as well.”

“Your Majesty! You can’t be serious!”

“Nope, I am dead serious. I haven’t been able to stretch since I attained this woeful position.”

64