26. Morning drill
163 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The pre-dawn air hung crisp and cool. The season was still at its peak as Kai stepped onto the worn training grounds, the chilly air hitting him on his face.

His eyes looked everywhere until they stopped at Killian.

He ran in front of the guards, being a few steps ahead of the rest of them.

The guards were running in lines, their faces drawn in a mixture of exhaustion as they struggled to match Killian's pace.

The latter was a whirlwind of energy.

Kai was still quite far from the group, but he could hear Killian’s powerful and clear voice, cutting through the silence of the morning around the estate.

"Come on, you lot move like arthritic snails! A goblin horde won't wait for your yawns and stretches!"

He spun around. His fiery eyes swept over the guards. His gaze lingered on a burly man, his chest heaving and shoulders slumped.

"You there, Thoren! Are you planning to sleep-walk through the entire run? Put more effort into your legs and get in shape. We need to be fit and strong to protect the common people!"

His voice was commanding. The guard, whose name Kai realised Thoren, mumbled something inaudible, his broad frame slumping further. Killian, however, wasn't deterred.

“Come on, you lazy lot! I want to see those knees up higher! Move it, move it!” His voice echoed across the grounds, mingling with the rhythmic sounds of boots pounding against the earth.

Kai continued to stare at them. Killian wasn’t just running and training the morning drill; he was embodying them.

On top of it all, his frustration with the guards’ lack of enthusiasm was evident. He barked commands at the guards.

He had heard from Francis that before Killian, the guards had been lazy and since he had taken command, they had been pushed to work harder. A few had even lost their jobs because they were too out of shape to be trained well in a few months.

In the expedition, he had only taken the best guards they had, but if he thought about the whole unit, they certainly needed them to be stronger and fitter.

A bead of sweat trickled down Kai’s temple as he continued to observe. He couldn’t help but compare his morning routine to the training drill. It wasn't like he was lazy, but unlike the guards, most of his work wasn't a burden on his body.

I need to be more physical.

Before he could think further, a loud voice yelled, “Halt, guards!”. Killian spun around. His gaze, previously focused on the guards, narrowed as he saw Kai in the distance.

The training ground fell silent.

Killian straightened and dipped his head in a curt bow. The guards mirrored his action and bowed in unison.

Killian said something inaudible to the guards and jogged towards Kai. The guards followed him and came closer to Kai.

Their motions were in unison as they stood in some distance, looking nervous at his presence.

“Lord Arzan,” Killian’s voice held a hint of formality yet remained laced with his usual gruffness. “Here to watch our morning deficiencies?”

Kai shook his head, a slight smile playing at the corner of his lips.

Killian’s eyes tempered with a flicker of curiosity.

"Actually," Kai said, his voice steady, "I believe I'm here to participate."

If he could, Kai would have captured the look on Killian's face as his brows shot up in disbelief, looking like he was wondering if he should laugh at the joke or if it was serious.

Once he realised it was, he scowled. His lips pursed, about to voice what was likely a sharp retort. But before a single word could escape, Kai was already in motion.

He launched into a sprint. His black hair whipped behind him, the morning dew sparkling on his emerald cloak.

"Just a few rounds, then," he called back over his shoulder, his voice laced with authority. "Consider it an... order."

The word hung heavy in the air. Killian was momentarily speechless. The guards looked the same, looking baffled.

Looking back, Kai saw Killian speaking something to the guards and then, with a resigned sigh, he mimicked his movements.

His long strides quickly ate into the distance between them. The guards scrambled to their feet as they fell into line behind Killian.

Kai, who gave a small glance behind, ran forward.

The training ground was big enough for him to pant after just the first round. But his movements were sharp as they made it to the second round.

It has been quite some time since he ran this much in such a short period, but his legs carried him. And like that, he was in the third round.

He could hear Killian’s feet right behind him. He seemed to be keeping a close distance with him and although Kai was full of sweat and taking deep breaths, the knight looked like he was casually strolling through a garden.

Soon, sweat trickled down Kai’s forehead, blurring his vision as even his eyes were covered in them. His breaths came in ragged gasps, and his muscles screamed in protest.

Two more rounds, I’ve got this.

Kai felt his leg movement slowing down. He didn’t want to stop, but despite his best efforts, his legs began to wobble.

Killian, who was right beside him, noticed the shift.

“Halt, everyone!”

His voice echoed across the training ground.

The guards, panting but exhilarated, slowed down to a swift halt.

“Huff!”

Kai stumbled to a stop, his chest heaving and his legs threatening to give away as he lowered to the ground. Killian was at his side in an instant. He barked an order to a nearby guard, which Kai couldn’t hear properly.

Kai felt deaf for a brief second, the only thing he heard clearly was his heartbeat thumping loudly.

“Easy there, Lord Arzan,” Killian rasped. “You pushed yourself further than expected.”

He helped Kai regain his balance.

“Just keep going,” Kai gasped, his voice was rough with exertion. He gestured weakly to the guards.

“Are you sure?” Killian asked once more.

Kai looked up to see how concerned Killian was. His eyebrows creased and his lips formed into a thin line. Even through sweat and heavy breaths, his concern looked evident.

“I’ll be alright. I’ll rest by the tree.”

“I already sent someone to ask for water,” Killian said.

Kai nodded and pointed at the guards. “Head back and continue.”

Killian simply nodded.

Kai turned his back and started making his way to the nearby tree. His limbs were shaky as he slowly walked out of the ground. Under the tree, the bench was perfectly positioned.

When he walked towards the bench, he heard Killian’s orders as the guards continued the drill.

He sat on the bench and placed his hands on his knees. The sting that came from his bones was something he hadn’t expected. It was mainly due to how long it had been since he physically exhausted himself with any sort of workout.

He had felt the same during the skirmish with the necromancer, but back then, adrenaline had let him continue.

A few seconds passed by with him just trying to catch his breath.

From the corner of his eye, he saw Claire walking toward him with a canteen of water in her hand.

Kai sat straight and took the water from her.

"Are you alright, Lord Arzan?" she asked gently, her voice laced with worry.

Kai took a long swig of the water. Before he could reply, he needed to quench his parched throat. He paused before bringing it to his lips and taking another long sip.

When he felt enough, he put it down and looked at her concerned eyes.

"Too weak," he rasped, the words a stark contrast to his usual confident demeanour. "I can't... can't afford to be weak. Not anymore. I can't even run for long."

“You will get there, Lord Arzan. You are not used to it. It's been a long time since you took part in training, right?” Claire asked as a matter of fact.

Kai simply nodded. “Yes, been a while, but I’ve to work on my body now. Anyway, thanks for bringing the water.” he paused. His eyes fell on the guards who were training restlessly.

A part of him, the Magus who had gone through dangerous situations, wanted to start running again, but he knew he would pass out and had to be dragged away if he tried. He didn't want to show the guards such a scene, especially when his reputation had improved recently.

A part of being a good Mage was also to know when to stop and take a rest.

Claire smiled seeing him finish the canteen.

A sigh escaped his lips as he realised he had much to improve physically.

From afar, he could see how hard the guards were training. Their run and touch-down drill made a few guards take pauses in between.

He finally saw Killian saying something to the guards and looking at Kai’s side.

The guards saluted Killian in unison as he turned around and made his way towards Kai.

“Feeling better now, Lord Arzan?” Killian asked as he approached.

Kai smiled at him and gestured for him to sit next to him. Taking the moment, Claire walked away as she knew better than to listen to their conversation.

Kai got to the topic without wasting any time. “I plan on joining your training every day from now on.”

Killian’s eyes widened at the statement. “Every day?” he asked, surprised. “You’re a Mage, Lord Arzan. You don’t have to train like the guards for battles,” he spoke his mind.

Kai shook his head. “There’s more to being a Mage than just spells, Killian. What if my mana runs out in the heat of battle? What if I need to dodge an attack, outrun an enemy, or even fight with something more than magic?”

He looked at the guards moving in perfect unison, their bodies honed for combat. Then, glanced down at his own body which was less than ideal.

It was normal for an average Mage, but Kai didn't like being average.

“I need to be more than just a walking fireball, Killian. I need to be quick on my feet, strong, and capable of surviving even when my magic fails me.”

Killian studied him for a moment.

Kai wasn’t joking in any sense. The practising wasn’t for a hobby or to pass his time. He needed to get in better shape because he didn’t know what more challenges lay ahead.

“A wise decision, Lord Arzan.” He finally conceded. “But be warned, these drills are meant to push us to our limits. They aren’t for the faint of heart.”

A grin stretched across Kai’s face. “I got a bit of a taste of it.”

Killian slowly nodded. “I’d be honoured to tailor a training regimen that strengthens both your body and reflexes. We can start from tomorrow if you still manage to walk fine after all the running you did. It would be inappropriate if all of your training is with the guards.”

“Yes, that’d be great.” Kai glanced briefly at the guards. “And,” he continued, his gaze returning to Killian, “in the coming days, I plan to recruit additional members for the guards.”

“Oh?” Killian’s forehead furrowed. “I will be happy to welcome them but is it necessary right now?”

Kai smiled with a concealed motive and replied, “I’m not going to recruit any ordinary guards.”

“What do you mean, Lord Arzan? Who-”

Kai cut him off short. “I will show you something once I confirm it. I just need some time.”

The guards finally halted in their actions and stood straight.

“Yes, for sure. I’ll be waiting to find out who they are. And that’s my cue to attend to them,” Killian pointed towards the guards who were waiting and stood up.

Kai didn’t say anything but nodded, watching him leave.

***

Kai looked at the diverse visuals of the items that were on display before them. They were the stuff they had retrieved from the necromancer's lair.

Francis stood beside him. His weathered face was covered with a mixture of satisfaction and wariness.

"Quite the haul, wouldn't you say, Lord Arzan?" Francis rumbled, gesturing towards the spoils of their venture.

Kai crouched down, his black eyes scanning the assortment.

There was a staff, its vibrant wood dulled and emanating a faint, unsettling chill. It lay propped against a carved chest filled with gold coins. Next to it, dust-covered tomes with leather bindings sat.

“Did you get more information about him?” He asked, glancing back at him.

Francis nodded and knelt beside him, his voice low and grave. "The necromancer, it seems, hailed from a small academy deep within the Duchy of Blackwood. His name was Vincent Laksob, a Mage working as a professor in the Blackwood Academy there. He coveted the post of the headmaster and once he failed to get it after the current headmaster retired, he seemed to have turned on them."

“Just because of that?”

“He seemed to have thought becoming the headmaster would let him have more resources to rank up since he was stuck as a 3rd circle Novice Mage for a long time.”

Even in his past life, Kai had seen a lot of Mages who had lost their mind or turned to dark paths if they were stuck in the same circle for a long time. A few he had trained with had the same fate.

His face scrunched up and swallowing the bitterness, he forced his attention back to Francis.

“He seemed to have gotten a book on necromancy and practised dark arts in secret for a while," Francis continued, his voice laced with disgust. “There were a few reports I got and the man was heinous. He once grazed a small village with his undead and whoever was killed became a soldier in his army. He even raised undead from a graveyard."

Kai stood, his gaze lingering on the macabre tomes.

"The Blackwood Duchy," Francis said, his voice regaining its gruffness, "is more than grateful for our assistance. They've requested a detailed report, of course. And," he added with a grin, "they've agreed to honour the bounty on his head, along with some additional… compensation, considering the extra effort involved."

Kai nodded curtly. His eyes lingered on the collection. Each item gave off a strange, unsettling feel to him, especially the staff. It was the same one he had been using in their fight.

"We'll have to dispose of all this," he said finally, his voice low and firm. "Burn it, every last piece."

The staff might have good enchantments on it, but a necromancer's staff wasn't something he wanted to store in his house. As for the books, he wouldn't want any other person to take a look through them and fall to the path of necromancy.

His eyes fell to the tomes, eyeing each of them carefully. He would have to make sure to burn—

What’s that?

His eyes fixated on a book, tucked almost discreetly among the leather-bound tomes. The book was different. Even the cover of the book showed intricate diagrams of metallic and clay figures instead of skeletal ones.

His curiosity piqued, and Kai reached out and grabbed it. The worn leather was cold against his fingertips.

He flipped it open immediately.

Reading through the columns of it, his eyes widened as he saw all the patterns and texts that weren't related to any dark arts but were incredibly interesting.

Materials, enchantments, animating constructs— golems.

A book on Golemancy!

-

-

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/extra26

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/nc3hVSCP2n

9