35. One debt paid, another to be settled (2)
85 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kai was at the forefront of the guards.

The Tradeheart Merchant Company's heavy oak doors opened with a groan. Kai stepped forward, his eyes fixed on the interior of the building.

A gaggle of guards, wearing their uniform and armed with short swords came forward from behind a nearby pillar. Their faces showed fear and defiance.

The guards were composed of Bord and Feroy since the rest of the Enforcers were taking a rest due to the awakening. The four others were back in the castle recovering from fainting— but Killian made sure to tag along with the duo who were awake and still processing what their body underwent.

Well… Isn’t this a sight?

Kai looked at the muscular man with a thick beard who stepped forward, brandishing his sword.

"Halt!" he yelled, his voice cracking slightly. "This is private property. State your business or leave!"

Kai stopped, a sardonic smile playing on his lips. He scanned the guards, their ill-fitting uniforms and mismatched weaponry, a stark contrast to his well-trained guards.

He knew most of them were just hired low-level mercenaries since the Tradeheart merchant company branch in Veralt City wasn't big enough for proper guards.

But if there were a way they could walk inside without creating a scene, that would make things much easier for him.

"Tell your men to stand down," Kai said, his voice calm but firm. "This is an official visit. We're here to see Erasmus Thorne."

The bearded guard puffed out his chest, trying to appear intimidating. "Orders are orders. You can't just waltz in here with an army."

Kai's smile evaporated. His gaze turned cold. "These are city guards, keeping the citizens safe. If you persist in obstructing us, I will consider it a threat and be forced to act accordingly. Don't you know me? I'm the Lord of the city. Put your voice down or you will be taken into custody."

A ripple of unease passed through the Tradeheart guards. They looked at each other in confusion and nervousness and a few of them whispered among themselves.

If they were in the city for long, they knew who Kai was. Sadly, they didn't seem to budge.

“No, we still can’t allow you to head inside. Until we’re given a different order, we won’t allow you to go inside,” the security guard that was to the front said.

Kai exchanged glances with Killian. It was time to put all their training into practice.

Kai nodded. “Make space for us.”

“Guards,” Killian yelled and lunged forward.

The security guard pushed Killian back— or at least he tried to. Killian grabbed both of his wrists and twisted it around, making the sword slip out of his grasp.

It happened in a brief moment, the rest of the security guards threw themselves forward— swords hanging in the air.

Kai stayed back with Francis and another guard who held a chest in his hands. All of them took in the sight of the rough fight.

Bran had his arm around a security guard's neck, while the latter tried his best to break free. With Bran’s free hand, he grabbed the sword that was hanging from the security’s hand and wrapped his hand around it.

With a swift move, he twisted his body and threw him stumbling through the wall before looking at his hands, like he was admiring his newfound strength.

Kai’s eyes then shifted to Bord, who was struggling with getting the upper hand with another security guard. The man Bord fought was bigger than him but showed no particular skills. He just attacked with a series of chaotic swings.

Although it looked like Bord was struggling, after observing for a while, Kai knew that he was simply waiting for an opening.

The security man had Bord in an arm lock, while their weapons clashed against each other.

Should be anytime now.

But over time, Bord’s energy remained the same. The opponent, however, started getting tired. His hands started shaking, along with his feet due to the position they were in— rather odd, and uncomfortable with their feet wide apart.

Kai’s eyes squinted as he stared at the arm lock loosening for a brief moment.

Bord pressed on his forearm and pushed him away in a swift notion. Turning around, the security guard bent and clung to his arm where Bord took the chance to kick him in the face with his knees.

The man stumbled back and fell to the floor.

Bord took that moment to cut through his ankle, earning a piercing shout from him.

In the middle of the scene, Killian swooped a man on his shoulders and slumped on the ground with a big thud, earning a few head turns.

Kai watched how he skillfully pressed his leg on the man’s chest, keeping him on the ground while the latter’s arm was locked as Killian stretched it upwards.

“Ahhhhh!!” The guy screamed in pain, tears streaming down his face.

Killian drew blood all over his wrists from his sword and pushed him to the ground, letting him clutch his hand and cry. He immediately went and started handling another security guard.

The castle guards were already handling the rest of the security guards and Killian’s eyes were focused on the guards he trained. He was barking orders left and right.

The number of guards who stayed and fought became lower.

Their main intention wasn’t to kill anyone but to make them wounded enough so that they wouldn’t be a problem when they were inside.

Twenty minutes passed by.

The guards of the Tradeheart Merchant company were lying on the floor, clutching their arms and legs.

Most were bleeding, while others certainly had bone and muscle fractures from the fight.

Kai stepped up from behind, passing all those who were on the ground. The city guards slowly fell behind.

His gaze swept across the scene.

He was in the reception area and other than the guards, there were quite a few huddled around.

Clerks, low-level merchants and other servants were in the corner, looking in between the security guards they had beaten and Kai.

They didn't seem to be important enough and froze when they saw the small army moving in.

Kai's eyes met one of the merchants for a fleeting moment.

Then, his voice cut through the stunned silence. "Excuse me," he said, his tone firm but polite, "Could someone point me towards the office of Erasmus Thorne?"

The question hung in the air.

A young clerk, no older than sixteen, his face pale with a mixture of fear and curiosity, hesitantly stepped forward. "U-upstairs, Lord Arzan," he stammered, pointing towards a grand staircase at the back of the room.

Kai inclined his head in acknowledgement, a flare of appreciation crossing his features. He gestured for Killian and his guards to follow, their footsteps echoing on the polished marble floor as they ascended the stairs.

The atmosphere changed drastically as they reached the upper floor.

Rich tapestries adorned the walls, and the muted thrum of conversation filtered through a set of double doors at the end of the hallway. They took the steps and started marching upstairs.

When they reached, a large oak door stood, leading to what he guessed was the boss's office.

Kai stopped in front of the doors, a knowing glint in his eyes.

Without hesitation, he pushed the doors open.

There sat Erasmus Thorne, the very picture of composure, behind a massive, ornately carved desk.

Galvan stood beside him, his face a mask of conflicting emotions.

Kai’s eyes locked with Erasmus, who leaned forward in his chair, a scowl etched on his face.

"Lord Arzan," he drawled, his voice laced with barely concealed disdain. "This is an unorthodox way to visit. Barging into a private office without an invitation is considered disrespectful in most circles."

Kai met Erasmus's scowl with a ruthless gaze of his own. "Disrespectful?" he countered. "Perhaps. But again, Mr. Thorne, this is my city. And these unexpected visits seem to be a recurring theme when it comes to Tradeheart."

Erasmus's nostrils flared with barely contained anger. He opened his mouth to retort, but Kai cut him off with a raised hand.

"Enough of this charade," Kai continued, his voice firm. "I'm not here for pleasantries. I'm here for business."

Erasmus leaned back in his chair, a glint of curiosity battling with his annoyance. "Business?" he echoed. "What kind of business?"

"The kind that settles outstanding debts," Kai declared, his gaze moving to the chest held by one of his guards. With a flick of his wrist, the chest lid snapped open, revealing a dazzling display of gold coins. 10,000 of them.

A collective gasp filled the room. Galvan's eyes widened in surprise, while Erasmus's facade faltered for a moment, a twinkle of greed momentarily replacing his anger.

"This," Kai continued, his voice ringing with authority, "is the repayment for the city's loan, in full and with immediate effect." He gestured towards the chest. "Have your agreement ready. I expect it to be signed and sealed before I leave these premises."

Erasmus stared at the gold, his mind racing. It was visible on his face that the abruptness of the situation, the sheer volume of the coin, was all too much to process for him. He opened and closed his mouth.

He glanced at Galvan, who met his gaze with a mixture of resignation.

"Tea, perhaps?" Erasmus finally offered, his voice strained. "We can discuss this matter over a cup of—"

"No time for pleasantries," Kai interrupted, his voice leaving no room for argument. "The agreement. Now."

Erasmus, sensing the shift in power dynamics, slumped back in his chair, a defeated sigh escaping his lips.

He reached into a drawer, pulling out a rolled-up scroll tied with a crimson ribbon.

He unfurled the scroll and quickly wrote a few things. After two minutes, Erasmus visibly sighed.

“Wait…” Kai’s voice came. “Francis.” They shared an unvoiced conversation.

Francis walked from behind and towards Erasmus’s desk. His eyes peaked over all the details of the paper. He tapped on the other set of papers that he had brought with him.

As he matched the contents of it, he repeatedly nodded.

Kai knew what it was. In time, everyone here will see and know how this would go down. He waited patiently.

All eyes were on Erasmus, who waited for Francis to finish reading what he wrote.

“Yes, you can sign that,” Francis’s approval lingered in the air. He then walked behind to stand behind the crowd.

This debt had been a powerful tool, a leash holding the city in a stranglehold. Now, with a single act, Kai was breaking it.

Erasmus dipped a quill in ink, his hand shaking slightly.

He glanced at the gold again, a storm of emotions pouring across his face. Then, his eyes lingered over to the guards standing beside him.

Galvan stood in the corner, looking helpless and Erasmus knew he wasn't going to get any help from him. He gulped and the quill moved.

After signing the papers that stated that the debt was paid in full, he passed it on to Kai who read over it before giving it to Francis to safeguard. With this, Tradeheart could never even hope to take the farmlands.

“Take it inside,” Erasmus ordered to the clerk who stood by his side the entire time.

The latter walked forward and took it behind the door.

"Well, Lord Arzan," he began, his voice dripping with a false cheer, "A most… unexpected turn of events. But a delightful one nonetheless! The city settling its debt in full is a great achievement. And those heat stones— a truly ingenious invention. Quite the boon for the city, I would say."

Kai raised an eyebrow, unfazed by Erasmus's attempt to butter him up. "Yes, indeed," he replied, his voice devoid of warmth. "The Heat stones have proven quite successful."

Erasmus leaned forward, a sly glint in his eyes. "Speaking of success, Lord Arzan, perhaps there's an opportunity for… collaboration. Tradeheart, as you know, has a vast network of connections. We could help expand the reach of these Heat stones, ensuring their distribution throughout the country! A mutually beneficial partnership, wouldn't you agree?"

Kai shook his head, a resolute glint in his eyes. "I appreciate the offer, but I'm afraid a partnership with Tradeheart isn't in the cards."

Erasmus's smile faltered for a brief moment, a twitch of annoyance crossing his features. "Is this about the… debt settlement? I assure you, Lord Arzan, it was a simple business transaction. And I sincerely apologise if any offence was caused."

Kai held his gaze, his voice steady. "The debt is a matter of the past, Erasmus. However, there are other… concerns that make me avoid any such collaboration."

The latter steepled his fingers, his eyes narrowing. "Concerns? Do elaborate, Lord Arzan.

A tense silence took over the room. Kai met Erasmus's narrowed gaze head-on, a hint of a challenge dancing in his eyes. He gestured towards Francis, who stood stoically by the door now.

"Francis," Kai said, his voice low but firm, "bring in the files."

Francis walked forward with a thick stack of bound parchments. He placed them on the desk with a soft thud, the sound echoing in the strained silence.

"These files, Erasmus Thorne," Kai began, his voice carrying a quiet weight. "They detail a long and troubling history. Tradeheart Merchant Company has operated in our city for decades. While some of your contributions have been… beneficial, you cannot deny that you have consistently acted outside the bounds of fair trade.”

Erasmus's face remained a mask of confusion, though a flicker of unease across his features. Galvan, on the other hand, seemed oddly tense, his gaze flitting between Kai and the files on the desk.

Kai noticed how he hadn’t said a word since he got here. He had let Erasmus do all the talking— he guessed he hadn't forgotten the small sample he had shown him about laws the last time.

"Outside the bounds?" Erasmus scoffed. "What are you talking about, Lord Arzan?"

Francis stepped forward, his voice filled with an authority Kai would seldom hear. "These documents, Mr. Thorne, detail numerous violations of city ordinances. Price gouging during times of scarcity, manipulation of contracts, and even… questionable accounting practices."

Erasmus's face paled slightly. He glanced at Galvan, who bit his lip, his eyes filled with a mixture of fear and nervousness.

"These are… unfounded accusations," Erasmus stammered, his voice losing its earlier bravado.

Francis, unfazed, began to list specific instances: "The exorbitant prices charged for basic supplies during last harsh frost. The hidden clauses in contracts burdened farmers with unfair debts. And the discrepancies in your tax reports that suggest a significant amount of revenue has gone… unaccounted for."

Kai watched Francis methodically dismantle Tradeheart's facade. His voice, devoid of emotion, cut through the tense silence.

“I believe there’s more,” Kai said in a low tone. “Please, from the beginning, Francis. I’m sure the businessmen here would like to know everything they've done to violate the city rules.”

"Firstly," Francis began, tapping a document. "The issue of monopolies. Tradeheart, through a series of… forceful negotiations and strategic acquisitions, has gained an illegal monopoly on essential goods like wood and weapons. While the surface appears legitimate, we looked into it and found proof."

He flipped through the pages, his gaze shifting between them and Erasmus's increasingly pale face. "There were other merchants, smaller companies, who dared to compete in these markets. However, their attempts were short-lived."

Francis paused, letting the weight of his next words hang in the air. "Several caravans carrying weapons from these smaller merchants were attacked by bandits. After a thorough investigation, we discovered a pattern. The bandits involved were all linked back to… individuals with close ties to Tradeheart."

Erasmus's face drained of all colour, replaced by a chilling realisation. A strangled gasp escaped his lips, but he remained silent, unable to refute the accusation.

Francis continued, his voice relentless. "Furthermore, Mr. Thorne, there appears to be a significant discrepancy between your company's reported income and its actual expenditures. Our investigation reveals evidence of embezzlement of funds, a systematic syphoning of profits for… personal gain."

He reached into the stack of documents and pulled out a ledger, its pages filled with meticulous calculations. With a flourish, he placed it on the desk in front of Erasmus.

"These ledgers," Francis declared. "They detail a pattern of under-reporting revenue and inflated expenses. In essence, Tradeheart has been systematically avoiding its fair share of taxes, depriving the city of much-needed funds."

Erasmus stared at the ledger, his hands trembling slightly.

"How… how did you gather this information?" he stammered, his voice barely a whisper.

Kai met Erasmus's hollow eyes with a steely gaze. "Our investigation was thorough," he said, his voice betraying none of the satisfaction stirring within him. This is all what he has been preparing for quite some time. "We questioned several of your… former employees. It seems some found a conscience after witnessing the lengths Tradeheart was willing to go to maintain its stranglehold on the city."

Erasmus frowned.

He opened his mouth to speak, a desperate plea for leniency forming on his lips. However, before any words could escape, Kai cut him off with a raised hand.

"You can try to challenge our findings, Erasmus," Kai continued, his voice devoid of warmth. "You can fight us in court, waste what remains of your dwindling resources on a legal battle you're destined to lose."

Erasmus's shoulders slumped further, all fight seeming to drain from him.

"But," Kai continued, a hint of a challenge in his eyes. "Let me remind you of one final infraction, a transgression so egregious that even the most skilled lawyers will struggle to defend."

He leaned forward, his voice dropping to a low growl. "The attack on a member of the nobility. Do you deny that a member of your so-called security detail trespassed onto my estate and assaulted me?"

Erasmus's head snapped, glancing at Galvan with a glare. "An unfortunate misunderstanding… It should be a misunderstanding," he sputtered. "Those guards were simply ensuring the safety of—"

"Misunderstandings do not explain a trained bodyguard launching an unprovoked attack," Kai interrupted, his voice laced with a dangerous edge. "And the law is quite clear. An assault on a member of the nobility is a serious offence, punishable by imprisonment. Considering the evidence of Tradeheart's activities, I would say that could extend to everyone associated with your organisation."

The air filled with tension. One could cut it through with a knife without a doubt.

A stunned silence followed Kai's pronouncement. Erasmus's head whipped towards Galvan, his eyes wide with a mixture of betrayal and fury. "Galvan!" he roared, his voice cracking. "Is this true?! Did your guard really attack him?!"

Galvan looked down at his clasped hands, shame etched on his face. "I… I apologised that day itself, boss. It was in the heat of the moment," he mumbled. "It was wrong."

Erasmus's face contorted in rage.

“That doesn’t mean a grain if there were witnesses! What have you done?!!”

Before he could unleash another tirade, Kai cut him off with a cold glare.

“You all can fight in jail later on.” He frowned at them.

He gestured towards Killian and his guards. "Arrest them all," he commanded, his voice leaving no room for argument.

The guards surged forward, their movements swift and practised.

Galvan, shame glistening in his eyes, offered no resistance. The other employees of Tradeheart, their faces pale with fear, froze in place.

Erasmus, however, wasn't ready to surrender so easily. He scrambled to his feet, a desperate plea clinging to his voice. "Wait!" he sputtered. "There must be a misunderstanding! We can negotiate! We have resources! We can—"

Kai spoke up. "Negotiations are over. The evidence speaks for itself. These charges will be sent to the capital, and Tradeheart will be branded enemies of the nobility. Until a proper trial takes place, you will all remain in custody."

Erasmus's face crumpled like a discarded parchment. His eyes darted around the room, searching for an escape, a glimmer of hope. But there was none.

As the guards began to escort the Tradeheart personnel away, Erasmus let out a strangled cry of protest. "This is outrageous! You can't do this! I demand a trial! We have rights!"

His pleas fell on deaf ears.

Kai watched him being led away, a jerk of satisfaction tinged in his mind.

This is what happens when you do unforgivable things.

He did everything to make sure that he left evidence of what happens when someone misbehaves under his rule. He made sure that everyone on the street gets to see that even the most powerful can be brought to their knees.

Throughout the way back to the castle, the protests and pleas filled the street’s air.

-

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/extra26

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/nc3hVSCP2n

7