38. A beating
82 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The archer’s approval was the only thing Kai needed.

Kai squinted his eyes towards the distant watchtowers. He raised a gloved hand, silencing the murmurs of his men.

They were probably discussing the plan and if it was even going to work.

“Hold,” he commanded.

Then, he whispered the incantation, a faint blue light coming from his fingertips. It swirled for a brief moment before changing into a miniature hawk.

If flapped his wings as everyone looked in surprise before taking off.

It was a 2nd circle spell which was a more complicated and advanced version of [Hawk Eyes]. It was called [Vision of Hawk] and was perfect for what Kai needed at the moment.

The hawk's images became invisible as soon as it hit the air. Kai started focusing on his connection with the hawk, his vision sharpening as if mirroring the hawk’s keen eyesight.

Within a few seconds, he saw the bandits with startling clarity—one, a hulking figure with a scared face leaning against the rail. And then, he saw another person who paced restlessly, a crossbow slung across his back.

As he squinted, he was able to see more details. The weathered wood, a worn rope ladder leading up to the platform where the bandits were. He could see everything— even three more bandits at different points on the tower.

The next step was doing another complicated 1st circle spell. It was called [Ranging Strand]. Complications lay in its spell structure and the purpose, and it was mostly used to accurately measure distance, and the degrees of angles the archers had to aim.

If even a small degree changes, it will affect their entire plan on a major scale. The spell started working, allowing Kai to take all the measurements in degrees.

Hmm. Kai mentally studied everything he saw while combining the spells with his efforts. Using two spells at the same time was almost impossible for most new Mages, but it was second nature for him, even though it took a lot of concentration.

"Alright," he announced, his voice carrying a note of quiet confidence. "I have the lay of the land. Now, listen closely…"

Kai's gaze narrowed as he lowered his hand, the lingering blue wisp of magic from the Ranging Strand dissipating into the air. A satisfied smile tugged at the corner of his lips.

He gestured towards the veteran archer, the one with the weathered face. "So," he addressed him. "You take the first shot. Aim for the eastern lookout, just to the right of that weathered beam. Just get into position and I will help correct it."

The guy didn't flinch. He stepped forward, no questions asked. With practised movements, he knocked an arrow, his gaze fixed on the distant tower. He adjusted the angle of his bow ever so slightly.

Kai helped him get his bow to the correct length, measuring the distance and the angle.

“Is this enough?” the guy whispered.

“Three to five degrees more… Perfect,” Kai said.

A deep breath in, a slow exhale, and the string sang as he loosed the arrow.

It flew true, a dark streak against the clear sky. A tense silence followed, broken only by the sighing wind.

Then, from the direction of the watchtower, a bloodcurdling scream pierced the air.

It was a sound of raw pain and surprise. The cry was so loud that Kai saw the man immediately standing up with his hand on his chest, where the arrow hit him.

Within a second, he fell on the floor.

One shot, one kill.

Wasting no time, Kai barked out another order. "Second archer, southern lookout. One and a half heartbeats. Take your aim!"

The second archer stepped forward, his movements mirroring the previous guy. He drew, aimed, and loosened. Another cry, this one tinged with fury, echoed across the empty land.

The third archer aimed his arrow and waited for Kai’s command.

“Tilt up to the East from the second guy. One heartbeat, take your aim.”

The archer acted along.

“Four degrees to the left, and two down—” Kai paused. “And.. Shoot.”

The archer stretched the bow and shot instantly, earning another scream. The last two archers had similar responses as they successfully cleared the watchers from every tower.

Perfection.

“That’d be all for now!” Kai’s hurried voice came in a whisper. Although a sense of satisfaction clouded over his thoughts, he couldn’t let it empower his actions.

“Good job, you five,” Killian’s voice came from behind; a proud tone clearly audible.

Kai shook his head immediately. “It’s just the beginning. Let’s head back to the horses as soon as possible. We need to strike them when they least expect it!”

***

A massive wooden table groaned under the weight of a feast prepared for a burly, untidy man.

Trencher boards overflowed with roasted boar, glistening slabs of ribs and an entire side of salmon baked to a golden crisp. In the centre, a steaming bowl of stew sent tendrils of savoury aroma wafting through the air.

At the head of the table, a man built like a bull sat hunched over, shovelling food into his mouth with a ferocity that rivalled a starving wolf.

Greased fingers tore at roasted chicken, grease dripping down his worn leather jerkin and staining his thick beard. That was Grekk, the self-proclaimed leader of the Black Raven Bandits.

Across from him, a wiry man named Fletch picked at his food with a chipped plate with nervous tics and darting eyes.

He was the closest thing Grekk had to an advisor, though his role leaned more towards suggestions than actual strategy.

"Blast it all!" Grekk roared, slamming his meaty fist on the table, sending a platter of vegetables clattering to the floor. "These mines are overflowing with good ore, enough to line our pockets for years! But what good is it if we can't sell the damned stuff?"

Fletch winced at the outburst. "Well, boss," he stammered. "You know most merchants won't touch anything mined by bandits. It's bad for business, brings down the law and whatnot."

Grekk snorted, a spray of gravy escaping his beard. "Law? We make our own law here at Black Raven. Find some... unofficial channels, Fletch. Someone desperate enough to turn a blind eye for the right price."

Fletch chewed his lip, his eyes darting around the room as if searching for escape routes. "Tried that already, boss. Blacksmiths in the nearby towns won't touch it, and the whispers are the lord had put out an alert for anyone seen dealing with us."

Grekk's scowl deepened, his gaze darkening. He wiped his greasy hands on his breeches, leaving behind a glistening brown stain. "And what about that smooth-talker we were supposed to meet? Said he had connections, could get our ore into the black market without a hitch."

Fletch's throat constricted. "About that, boss… Well, he hasn't shown up since yesterday. Sent a couple of the men to check on his place, but it was empty. No sign of him, not a single coin."

Grekk's face contorted in a rage. He had talked to someone who had guaranteed to sell the ores and left with an advance, but he had just gotten scammed.

He lunged forward in anger, sending the table crashing to the floor with a deafening clang.

Plates shattered, cutlery scattered, and the stew pot rolled across the room, spewing its contents onto the rough-hewn wooden floor.

"Double-crossed!" Grekk yelled, his voice shaking the rafters. "We get robbed by a smooth-talking snake and can't even sell our own loot! Someone's going to pay for this!"

The retort died on Fletch's lips. He wondered what to do when something took his attention.

A guttural yell, laced with raw terror, pierced the air from outside. It was a sound they both recognized— the panicked cry of a man.

“What the hell is that?!”

Grekk shoved himself upright, his face a mask of fury instantly replaced by a cold, predatory gleam. He snatched an axe leaning against the wall.

Fletch scrambled to his feet, a dagger clutched in his sweating hand.

They didn't need words.

With a shared look, they surged towards the rough-hewn wooden door leading out onto the balcony.

Grekk threw open the door with a crash.

A wave of cool evening air washed over them, carrying with it the acrid smell of blood.

Grekk's breath caught in his throat.

Below, sprawled across the dusty path leading to the mine entrance, lay the lifeless forms of his men. Each bandit, the lookouts stationed on the other watchtowers included, sported a single, neat arrow protruding from their bodies.

No struggle, no cries of alarm, just silent death. His eyes widened at the precision of the arrow that pierced their bodies, making them lose blood and die.

Panic prickled at the edges of Grekk's mind.

He looked up, trying to find where the arrows came from.

There, in the distance, he saw them.

A company of soldiers, clad in gleaming armour, galloped on top of horses towards the mine entrance, led by a figure in silver that radiated an aura of quiet authority.

“Fletch, is that Arzan, the new lord of Veralt?” Grekk yelled, looking at his advisor.

He'd heard whispers of Arzan. And even sent one of his men to spy in the city whenever the lord would come out, so he knew how he looked and the man in the silver armour matched every one bit of the description.

“I-I think so.” Fletch nodded.

The realization of an attack hit both of them with the force of a hammer blow.

"Fletch, we need to do something!" Grekk bellowed, his voice hoarse with urgency. "We need to close the main gate! Now!"

He knew the gate wouldn't hold for long, but it might just buy them enough time to formulate a desperate plan, or at least a chance to fight.

Grekk could hear their hooves, loud and clear. For a brief moment, he couldn’t think of what to do.

“You! You! Close the damn gates!!!” Grekk yelled at a bandit on the lowest floor. It was the only way in or out of the settlement.

The bandit, eager to keep his life started closing the door. But soon, a deep guttural sound echoed through the land, followed by a deafening boom that shook the very foundations of the tower.

The door blasted away, making the bandit fly out and smash against a wall.

Grekk squinted his eyes.

Through the smoke and debris, Arzan stormed through. He dismounted his horse with a fluid moment.

A bandit came running towards him, but he kicked him with ease. The bandit fell to the ground, knocked out.

He didn’t make a single sound, simply lying unconscious on the floor.

The remaining men stared at the scene in stunned silence.

"Kill them all!" Arzan's voice rang out, cutting through the din. "Show no mercy to these bandits!"

The soldiers cheered loudly and dismounted their horses before rushing at the bandits, holding their weapons.

Two bandits charged at the noble.

Before Grekk could even blink, Arzan reacted instinctively. He unleashed a wind spell— Wait what?!

The bandits were sent tumbling through the air like ragdolls. They landed a few feet away, stunned and coughing.

Arzan moved his head, searching for something and his gaze turned cold when he noticed Grekk. In his outstretched hand, something flickered.

Within the speed of light, he sent a thin sharp layer of wind towards the two bandits, splitting their heads from their bodies. The blood started oozing out their necks as they fell onto the ground.

Grekk took two steps back.

"M-mage! There's a Mage among them! Lord Arzan is a Mage!"

"It's true! They weren't just rumours!" Fletch yelled as the noises of silver against one another filled the settlement.

"Doesn't matter!" Grekk said, trying to maintain a facade of bravado. "We have them outnumbered! We can't lose this mine! He is still a coward who didn’t do anything for them for months!" He said the last few words to himself and got to his feet.

He tightened his hold around the axe and started moving down the ladder.

Grekk had to be quick. Many of his men lay dead or dying at the soldiers' feet. But still, the rest of the men were trying to fight. He had to aid them and kill the Mage.

He quickly came down, his feet speeding up.

Once he hit the floor, his gaze swept across the guards.

***

Kai saw the man who seemed too unhealthy to his liking set his feet on the battleground. The way he was dressed, and how he darted his eyes in between the scenery— it was obvious to know his identity.

The burly man immediately started attacking two soldiers, but he knew the guards were capable.

Good luck, Grekk the Pulverizer.

Kai scoffed and turned around, sending a [Wind Spear] cutting a bandit’s air out as he tried to lunge towards him.

They were easy— too easy. Killian was right about this.

His men were trying their best to battle against them and a lot of them overpowered the bandits. But there were times they needed his help.

Feroy, who was a few feet away from Kai lifted a man in the air. His face turned red as all the blood rushed upwards. The man yelled in pain as Feroy sliced through his very chest, blood dripping all over him in the process.

“You darn bandit!” Feroy yelled.

He threw the man across the floor, adding to the pile of bandits he had killed so far.

Feroy didn't waste time admiring his handiwork.

The clang of metal on metal drew his gaze as the bandit with the short sword lunged.

Feroy met the attack head-on, his own spear a blur of silver. Sparks flew as blades clashed.

The bandit with the spiked club, a hulking brute with a shaved head, roared and swung his weapon in a wide arc.

Feroy ducked under the blow with practised ease. With a grunt, he slammed his shoulder into the bandit's chest, sending him staggering back.

The third bandit, wielding a spear saw it as an opening. He lunged forward. Feroy pivoted on his heel. He pushed the bandit again with great force. His strength was unmatched.

The bandit with the spear stumbled back in surprise, dragging himself due to imbalance and falling on the floor with a loud thud. Feroy didn't hesitate.

He charged forward. The bandit with the short sword, momentarily distracted, saw the attack too late. Feroy's blade found its mark, the bandit crumpling to the floor with a strangled cry. Blood dripped from the stab as he lay on the floor.

The remaining two bandits stared at the dead bandit. He didn't give them a chance to react. With a roar, he stomped his foot, gaining their attention. The bandit with the spiked club started taking a few steps backwards.

Before he could fully walk away, Feroy was upon him, his spear flashing down in a decisive arc.

The last bandit, the one with the spear, threw down his weapon with a whimper, his face drained of colour. Bord was behind him, his sword inside the man’s throat.

Feroy didn't even look at him, he turned and rushed to attack the next bandit. Bord simply shrugged and did the same.

Kai nodded at Bord who helped Feroy as he was almost worried he couldn’t handle three bandits together, but the guy proved him wrong.

Hollow moans from the bandit at hand soon brought him back to the present as another bandit rushed at him, throwing up his spear at him like a Lance.

Kai didn't have to do much as the wind blasted off the spear before another [Wind Spear] cut off the head of the bandit.

As the body fell to the ground almost instantly, he saw Bran and Nelson fighting off five bandits themselves.

Nelson was using his height and mass, throwing bandits flying on the ground. He was a tall guy, and including the power of awakening, he easily took on bandits as if they were mere flies, not even humans.

Bran took the chance to slide in between bandits and find those who were thrown by Nelson and lay on the floor. With ease, he silenced them with his sword.

Soon, the duo started fighting with more bandits head-to-head. They weren't entirely used to it. But Kai noticed how in sync they were.

“Argh!” His vision was swiftly disturbed by a tall, skinny man holding an axe twice the size of his head. Kai could say the skinny fellow was prepared to put up a fight. But before the bandit could even get closer to him, a trained soldier came from behind, slicing his sword right through his chest.

Kai threw a [Fire Bolt] at the man on the floor. Immediately, the smell of burnt flesh filled the air. Soon, he saw something else.

One of the guards was in a compromising situation. He was fighting off a bandit, but the second bandit had his axe in the air, almost getting to the guard.

I need to do something!

Kai quickly formed a spell structure on his hands. He used [Wind spear] once more and shot it towards the bandit.

It flew through the air and sliced his body into two. With the bandits being powerless against his spells, it was a pretty easy victory.

As he flung out his spells, he heard footsteps behind him. Turning back, he saw a bandit rushing at him slowly with a spiked club.

“I'm going to take your head, you bastard!” He yelled as he saw Kai.

“Are you sure about that?”

Without answering, the latter lunged at Kai, but he didn’t even give him enough time to get closer to him. He sent a [Fire Bolt].

The bandit’s loud-pitched cry pierced through the air as he dodged one bolt, but another hit his throat, burning the area around his neck as blood spurted out, ending his life slowly as he whimpered.

Fluidly, Kai turned around.

Taking one after another bandit, the fight continued.

The soldiers were outnumbering the bandits quickly for obvious reasons.

Kai was using simple spells left and right. Slicing through their body parts, distracting them, then killing them. It was an easy process, but every bandit was different.

Some were weaker than others.

Soon, a hulking brute with a spiked club launched at him. He didn't have time to form a spell structure, so he picked up his spear and immediately started deflecting a flurry of blows.

Sweat beaded on Kai’s brow as the bandit got ahead of himself. Kai caught his arm and twisted it, using the technique he had learned to fracture the bandit’s hands.

Even if the bandit was huge, Kai could see that he had unnecessary weight and had been fighting for a long time. So, it was easier than expected.

The man yelped in pain.

Then Kai used [Gust], sending the bandit flying in the air, followed by a [Wind spear] killing him in the air itself.

Killian on the other hand was fighting with a bandit who was swinging his club wildly. Kai rushed at him and saw his chance. He ducked under and delivered a swift kick to the bandit’s knee. The man buckled, collapsing with a pained grunt.

Killian killed the man with ease as his sword plunged his throat.

“Good technique, Lord Arzan,” Killian gave a respectful nod and continued to attack other bandits.

A painful yelp took his attention and Kai looked at the far end, around the stairs. A burly man's expression turned into a scowl as he took out his axe from the stomach of a guard.

He fell on the ground as the bandit— Grekk grinned before he turned, his eyes meeting Kai.

"Mage! I don’t care if you are the lord of the place. This place is mine now and no one can take it away from me," Grekk shouted, his voice laced with a desperate edge. “I will kill you first and then, your men will surrender to me!"

Kai didn't reply. Because the man was simply in denial.

What a self-centered arrogant bastard!

He frowned as Grekk made for Kai. He moved with a decisiveness that other bandits didn't have. Though, he could see that other than strength, he didn't have much going for him.

Grekk might have been in the military, but it had been years since then and he looked haggard and bloodthirsty as he lunged for Kai.

A wind spell knocked him back as he fell on the ground and cursed.

As he tried to get up, Kai muttered the incarnation for [Cinder Circle].

Immediately, a vortex of flames rose from the ground, a few bandits and guards moving away from it as surrounded Grekk who yelled.

Taking the moment of his surprise, Kai jumped up in the vortex and punched him right in the face.

“W-What do you think you are doing?” Grekk said, trying to pick up his axe, but Kai kicked it away.

“Shut up! Or I will sever your head from your body.” Kai frowned, stomping his hands and locking him on the ground with wind spells.

He winced, but Kai kept kicking and punching him like he was a ragdoll.

If he wanted, he could easily kill him right then and there—but no.

The only reason Kai had personally come to battle the bandits was to make a mockery out of them and teach a lesson to every wandering bandit in his territory that might try something like this.

The only purpose to keep Grekk alive was to make him a lesson for others. For the next half an hour, painful cries echoed as the bandits lost.

-

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/extra26

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/nc3hVSCP2n

9