Chapter 2: The Gates of Heaven
114 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Katherine found herself standing before the grand, golden gates of Heaven. Adorned with intricate patterns of wings and clouds, they shimmered in the ethereal light. The sight was overwhelming, causing a wave of confusion to wash over Katherine.

Before her stood Saint Peter, a stark contrast to the images Katherine had seen in religious texts. He was a young, handsome man with blond hair and blue eyes. A glowing halo hovered above his head, and white wings spread out behind him, shimmering in the ethereal light. He was clad in a white robe that seemed to glow with an inner light.

“Hiya! I am Saint Peter, welcome to Heaven. Can I get your name, please?” Saint Peter greeted her with a warm smile, his voice as soothing as a gentle breeze.

Still reeling from the shock, Katherine managed to stammer out her name. Upon hearing it, Saint Peter began to skim through his book, mumbling, “Katherine Arnaud, Katherine Arnaud, Katherine Arnaud…” His voice echoed in the vast expanse, adding to the surreal nature of the situation. Suddenly, he found her name and exclaimed, “Ahh!!! Katherine Arnaud, here you are!”

As he read her name, his eyes fell on the description next to it. His face lit up with surprise, and a frown appeared. “Eesh, an atheist, huh?” he muttered, his voice filled with surprise. But as quickly as the frown appeared, it vanished, replaced once again by his original smile. “Don’t worry,” he said, his voice filled with reassurance. “We won’t hold it against you. Winners like you are welcome here, regardless of your beliefs on Earth.”

Katherine had been an atheist when she was alive. She had read some books about religion at the local library and still attended church, but she never truly believed. Nonetheless, she was considered a good person.

Katherine Arnaud had devoted her life to charity work. She ran an orphanage in New Orleans, Louisiana, relying on donations to support the children. She had met a man who fathered her son, but he left her soon after. Katherine worked multiple jobs to raise her son by herself. She worked tirelessly, managing to get her son through school. However, her tireless efforts led to her untimely death due to exhaustion. Her life had been a testament to her strength and resilience.

Katherine’s heart was heavy with worry. “But Peter,” she began, her voice trembling slightly, “I can’t rest in peace knowing that the people I left behind still need me. The children at the orphanage need guidance. And Alastor, he’s still so young…”

Saint Peter listened patiently, his eyes filled with understanding. “Katherine,” he said gently, “the love and care you’ve shown to those around you have left a lasting impact. The seeds you’ve sown will surely continue to grow, even in your absence. You’ve taught them well, remember that. They will find their way.”

Katherine looked at him, her eyes filled with uncertainty. “But how can you be so sure?” 

Saint Peter smiled, a warm, reassuring smile. “You’re right, Katherine. I don't have any guarantee. But I do know this - Your love, care, and teachings won't be forgotten so easily.”

Katherine was silent for a moment, taking what Saint Peter said to heart. A smile formed on her face; just maybe she could leave their future up to them this time and finally rest. She decided to put all worries behind her, and then to satisfy a moment of curiosity asked, “And what about winners? You called me a winner. What does that mean?”

Saint Peter chuckled. “Ah, winners. Yes, here in Heaven, we call those who have lived good lives ‘winners’. It’s not about wealth or power or fame. It’s about kindness, love, and making a positive impact on the world. You, Katherine, have done all of that and more. You’ve devoted your life to helping others, to making the world a better place. That’s why you’re a winner. And what better way to describe getting into Heaven than winning?”

With a swift motion, Saint Peter unlocked the gates with the key around his neck. The gates swung open with an effortless push, revealing a sight that took Katherine’s breath away.

Beyond the gates, towering skyscrapers reached towards the sky, their steel frames piercing through pure white clouds and touching the blue skies. The buildings were unlike anything Katherine had seen on Earth, their architecture a blend of the familiar and the fantastical.

Futuristic street lights lined the wide avenues, casting a radiant glow over the streets. Crowds of well-dressed young and beautiful men and women moved with purpose along the sidewalks, their footsteps resonating against the polished concrete. The concrete was so polished it looked like glass, reflecting the ethereal light of Heaven and adding to the surreal beauty of the scene.

Above them, advertisements adorned the sides of buildings, promoting everything from fashionable attire to the newest technological marvels. The ads were vibrant and dynamic, adding a splash of color to the cityscape.

“Welcome to Heaven, Katherine,” Saint Peter said, his voice filled with visible excitement.

Katherine, still flabbergasted by the surreal beauty of Heaven, walked forward until she was next to one of the towering skyscrapers. She paused, her eyes drawn to her reflection in the polished glass facade of the building. She looked young again, her skin smooth and unblemished, her eyes sparkling with life. She was more beautiful than she remembered, her features enhanced by the ethereal glow of Heaven.

Surprised, she turned to Saint Peter, her eyes filled with questions. He chuckled, a warm, reassuring sound that echoed in the vast expanse. “You died, remember?” he said playfully, his voice filled with understanding. “You are currently a spirit, not weighed down by age or the ailments of the physical world. Here in Heaven, you are free from the constraints of time and age. You are as young and beautiful as your spirit feels.”

Saint Peter then spread his arms wide, gesturing to the grandeur around them. His voice filled with visible excitement, he said “This is where the best, brightest and the politest of the lot reside. Here, we have no worries, and no problems. It’s such a perfect afterlife that people are happy that they died”.

As Katherine walked onward, a sense of peace enveloped her, sweeping away the worries and fears that had troubled her. In their place, she felt a fresh wave of hope and excitement. Turning to Saint Peter, her eyes sparkled with resolve. "Thank you, Peter. I'm ready to embrace this new chapter."

With a nod, Saint Peter guided Katherine through the lively streets of Heaven. As they strolled, Katherine marveled at the beauty and vitality of her new surroundings. She felt a deep sense of belonging, a feeling she hadn't felt in a long time.

Reaching the heart of the city, Katherine glanced back at the distant golden gates, a reminder of her past life stirring a hint of nostalgia within her. Yet, as she looked around at the bustling city, she knew she had found her true place.

"Welcome home, Katherine," Saint Peter's voice echoed around them.

With determination, Katherine stepped forward, ready to embrace her new existence in Heaven. She anticipated challenges ahead, but she was prepared to confront them.

Spoiler

these first few chapters are like the prequels of star wars, telling us how Darth Vader, became Darth Vader. FYI Katherine is Padme

[collapse]
3