Devoid Tale 1: Prologue | Chapter 3: The Greenery Took Me In
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Upon awakening, I felt very peculiar after tumbling down. Something felt off inside me, but I couldn't quite understand it. Looking around, I noticed I was in the forest I used to view from above. Now, I found myself in the center of it, in a place I didn't recognize.

 

Feeling hungry, I let out my usual screeches, hoping for assistance. But alas, there was no one in sight. The idea of being alone felt scary, so I chose not to focus on it. I was rather surprised at being alive despite taking what should have been a fatal fall. I looked around and I felt like I knew exactly what to do, as if I'd done it countless times before. Since the forest was too crowded to fly through, I began walking. Strangely, moving around without flying felt surprisingly easy, although I didn't dwell on it much.

 

I walked across the mossy areas and branches and roots and eventually came upon an area with plenty of food I'd never tasted before. Unable to resist my hunger any longer, I began munching away. The food had a peculiar taste, but it wasn't unpleasant. It felt like I should move on from this place and find a new group to join, so I kept on trekking.

 

As I journeyed, I encountered many different animals, unlike any I'd seen before. It all felt so strange and made me really curious about this place. One looked small and feathery which hid in holes while another one looked similar but instead climbed the trees and lived above. Once I reached a wide-open space and attempted to fly again. To my surprise, I took off much more smoothly than my first try.

 

Looking around, I spotted a tall, bright cliff by the ocean. It seemed like the perfect spot to settle down. Upon landing there, I noticed some massive lizard-like creatures nearby, although everything seemed peculiar to me now. I realized it was their territory, and I'd have to fight to make it mine.

 

More of those lizard-like creatures arrived, led by one that roared louder than anything I'd heard before. It was too strong for me and it had a look in its eyes that made me really fear it. I attempted to fly away, but the lizard snagged one of my legs and tossed me to the ground. I was badly hurt and unable to fly anymore.

 

However, I felt that strange sensation once again. The crocodile had a vulnerable spot near its head. I grabbed it with my healed injury and chomped down on it. After a moment, it stopped moving.

 

Seeing their leader defeated, the other crocodiles retreated. The territory now belonged to me. However, I had too many questions about what had just happened. What was a crocodile? What happened to my injury? And how did I know all this? It felt odd, but I knew I had to make use of this new ability. I decided to make my home on the rocky cliff and start my own flock there.

0