Devoid Tale 1: Prologue | Chapter 5: I Awoke The First God
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up once more, the sensation of tiny bugs crawling on my feathers causing me to shiver. With a quick brush, I rid myself of them, but strangely, hunger didn't gnaw at my belly this time. Mom's piercing screech pierced the air, a signal for us to gather around. Her wings flapped vigorously, beckoning us to follow her towards a towering, bright cliff. Its sheer size cast an intimidating shadow over us, but Mom gently nudged us forward, assuring us it was time to take flight and leave our home behind.

 

One by one, my siblings leaped off the edge, their wings beating. But despite their efforts, they couldn't sustain their flight for long. They gradually descended into the depths of the forest below, leaving me with a sinking feeling in my stomach.

 

When my turn came, I sucked in a deep breath and launched myself off the cliff. I flapped my wings with all my might, desperate to defy gravity's pull. For a fleeting moment, I felt the exhilaration of flight. But then, a wave of recognition washed over me. This was the same moment when I fell before and miraculously survived. What's going on? Is this a dream?

 

My heart sank as I hurtled downwards. Yet amidst the chaos, I caught sight of the enigmatic figure once more. It bore a striking resemblance to me, yet there was an otherworldly aura about it. Who was this mysterious being? What is causing me to warp? There are too many unknowns.

 

And then, darkness enveloped me.

 

But as quickly as it came, the darkness dissipated, revealing my familiar surroundings once more. I realized with a start that the cliff I now stood upon was the same one I had called home before. But my siblings were nowhere to be found. Where had they disappeared to? Why had they abandoned our home?

 

The answer struck me like a lightning bolt: Time Travel. Suddenly, everything clicked into place—the unfamiliar landscape, the absence of my flock, and the inexplicable journey through time. They had all vanished. I had been propelled forward in time when I fell.

 

A tingling sensation coursed through me as I grasped the truth. And then it hit me like a ton of bricks—I was utterly alone. The realization ignited a fiery rage within me as I grasped upon reality once more and locked eyes with the creature before me. It cowered in fear, understanding the imminent danger it faced. I felt awakened and joyous for some reason, it was an instinct that felt very dark, but deep, I was sad, and furious. But that was just a dream right, just my own imagination. Right?

 

I took advantage of the surge of sentience and my wings then began to regenerate, growing stronger and sprouting razor-sharp claws. The predator stood frozen in terror as I lunged forward, my attacks swift and merciless. Though it made no attempt to flee, the agony and terror in its eyes spoke volumes as I tore into its flesh, leaving it lifeless on the forest floor for scavengers to feast upon.

 

Returning to the cliffs, I grappled with my newfound reality. I hadn't merely imagined it—I had genuinely traveled forward in time. And my siblings? They had fallen prey to the crocodiles that now ruled the area. I was the sole survivor of my kind, engulfed in a whirlwind of emotions as I touched down on the rocky cliff. Each step brought with it a flood of memories, overwhelming me with a profound sense of loss and solitude. What lays ahead for me in this unfamiliar world? Or rather, is there anything that lays ahead of me in this world?

0