Chapter 5 Beneath the Shadow of the Large Purple Mountain
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three weeks, according to the newly discovered planet’s rotation, had passed since Titan One had crashed on this unnamed world in the middle of the Skonis Nebula.  All members of the crew survived but not without some injuries.  A few broken ribs, a broken arm, a broken leg, concussions, nasty bruises, deep cuts, and scrapes, plus one head injury that had put one survivor out of commission since the crash.  Overall, they considered themselves very lucky considering the circumstances.  They all have heard of space vessels crash landing on outer distance planets where many died, and the lucky survivors starved or something worse.  They, however, had crashed landed on a planet that all would believe was paradise.

They had found an abundance of drinking water in rivers not far from their crash site.  They had also found types of fish in these rivers that most found to be quite tasty.  They even found edible fruits and plants which they tested by dropping into a concoction made by Gennai.  If the liquid did not turn a dark color, then most likely it was ok to eat.  Some were hesitant to trust him, but the choice between living or starvation made them eat and the worse that happened was a sour stomach because he ate too much.

Not only was there plenty of food and water, but the scenery was astounding as well. They saw great flowing rivers, gigantic, majestic mountains, large noble trees, stunning colorful flowers and plant life, small animals on the ground and in the air, all so glorious and peaceful. But one thing was missing, no intelligent life. 

Regarding transportation, the crash and the fire had made the ship unrepairable and had destroyed many of the supplies.  Within the supplies not destroyed they found some food, a few lanterns, and other non-important items.  The most crucial items they did find were two weapons.  A mini-rocket launcher and a small, low-wattage laser rifle that was good at short distances.  Dyamion had kept a few power cells for just this purpose. 

The biggest worry for the crew was Igetis.  He had yet to gain full consciousness. He had murmured a couple of words, but nothing was understandable. His breathing was regular, and all his vital signs seemed normal for his type of species.  But without his guidance, they all felt lost. Ironically, the members of this crew that felt most frustrated with his decisions, missed Igetis the most.

Now another fear had arisen and the one who had discovered this concern was reluctant to share not wanting to worry the others even more. But now with it intensifying, Dyamion felt he had to divulge what he had found.

“I think there is something I need to show you,” he said speaking to Tharros separated from the others.  A look of concern could easily be seen on his face.

“Show me.”

They informed the crew that they were going on a short trip to explore something non-important, and they headed off.  About twenty minutes later, they came upon a ledge overlooking a great valley.  The view was incredible and breathtaking like most of the views on this planet. Below they could see shrubs, trees, and long green grass. They also saw herbivore animals that looked like an upgraded version of caribou. Their stride was powerful, and they were quick in any reaction to danger. 

 “If these animals are what you wanted to show me, you have nothing to fear,” remarked Tharros. “They are not dangerous to us as long as you stay out of their way. They feed on plants and shrubbery. We have animals like this on our planet. Not as big and powerful but similar.” She paused and looked to see if Dyamion was listening. He was focused on the valley below. “We have encountered these animals in surveying the area. They did not attack but they were interested in us.”

Dyamion held up his hand as a gesture to stay quiet then motioned her to crouch down behind a large rock on the ledge with him. He then pointed across the valley at a small hill that looked over the valley from the other direction. They were at a higher elevation than the hill so they could see what was on the other side. There was something nestled between the trees that was not moving but alive and watching.

“That animal is sleeker and appears adapted to chasing down their prey,” said Tharros. “They are probably hunting these herbivores. Much like you do on your planet,” she continued while smiling and giving him a tiny wink.

“I have no doubt that they hunt these animals, but I believe they have found a different target,” said Dyamion looking at Tharros with a concerned face.

“Us! How do you know?”

“I have seen their tracks at different places around our crash site. I have followed them and found that they have been circling our location as if they are spying on us.”

“Maybe they’re just following the herd here.”

“I am a hunter remember. Something has drawn their attention. They are more intelligent than we give them credit.”

“Do you believe they are as evolved as we are? I have not seen any creatures on this planet that match our group.” 

“The evidence shows that they are less evolved than us, but because they are more intelligent that makes them very dangerous.”

“How?  Can’t we communicate with them or scare them off?”

“They are a design predator. They watch their prey, find out their weakness, and then when the time is right, they attack.”

“Sounds like any other predator.”

“They do not attack for food. That is just a prize for them. They attack for the challenge.”

Tharros gave Dyamion a doubtful look. “How can you know this?”

“I have been watching. I know their type,” he said as he pointed at himself. “Each of them has a role in their group. They communicate with gestures and sounds so they can follow a strategy and not simply running down their prey. They set traps, more advanced than other predators. They adapt much faster than any others I have seen. I have tried using different techniques I know to throw them off, but they are not fooled.” 

“We have been here three weeks,” said Tharros shaking her head, thinking Dyamion was being paranoid. “Why haven’t they attack us yet?”

“Were unique to them. Have you ever seen a crew like us before,” Dyamion said with a quick smile still looking in the direction of the predator. “Plus, we have been watching, setting fires, and laying traps of our own. We are not their normal prey. But they are enjoying the challenge.”

“How can you possibly know how they feel?”

“I’m a hunter,” he said now looking at Tharros with his dark green eyes. The eyes you saw when a prey knew they were about to be killed. He looked back in the direction of the predator.  “They are doing what I would do.”

As they approached the crash site on returning, Filos ran up to Dyamion and Tharros.

“He is waking up!” Filos shouted with a look of anxiety and joy. “He is beginning to talk!”

All of them ran to where Igetis was laying. His eyes were open, and he was speaking to the rest of the crew. He was asking about the past events and everyone’s safety and was very pleased that all had survived. He then eyed Tharros and gave her his smile.

“I guess I have you to thank for my survival,” Igetis said with a noticeable strain.  He was still very weak.

“All I did was clean you up and give you the medicine,” she replied. “Dunamis is the one that carried you out from the crash and the Rat was able to get the medical supplies before they burned up in the fire.  The rest of us have been giving you nourishment intravenously with a concoction that the Rat put together. He has been quite the medicine maker. “

“I was a doctor on my planet,” remarked Gennai. “Never thought I would be brewing up medicine stranded on an unknown planet billions of miles from home, however.”

“Well, you are truly a blessing for all of us Gennai,” Igetis said smiling at him. “All of you are.”  He looked around at everyone, thankful to see everyone’s faces again. All beamed in return. They were glad to have him back. They did not know how much they missed his council until it was gone.

“Ahem,” interrupted Dyamion. “Not to break up this tender moment, but we have critical things to discuss. Are you strong enough for us to talk?”

Igetis nodded and then struggled to sit up more in the bed the crew created for him from parts from the crashed ship. Tharros helped him to get comfortable and then gave him something to eat and drink while they talked.

“We have surveyed the area surrounding us about ten square miles,” explained Dyamion, “and we have not found any intelligent life or settlements. There is an ample supply of drinking water from rivers and food from many different types of plants and trees.” He paused not wanting to continue because he did not want to scare the rest of the team. Igetis immediately sensed his fear. 

“You are stalling,” said Igetis in a weak voice but still with that famous smile.  “Tell me what you are fearing.”

Dyamion’s face immediately went serious. “We have little to defend ourselves. One small laser rifle, a mini rocket launcher with limited rockets, and a few weapons that I have put together hoping they will be useful.”

“From whom do we need to defend ourselves?” asked Atromitos. “If there was intelligent life on this planet, we would know by now. All we found are small animals and defenseless creatures.”

“You know something that you haven’t told the others,” guessed Igetis.

“I liked it when you were sleeping,” joked Dyamion. Igetis shrugged. Dyamion sighed deeply “Something about this planet is gnawing at me and I cannot figure it out.” Many in the crew nodded in agreement.  “This place is paradise. How can there not be huge civilizations with many different types of species with advanced technology…species like us.”

“It was well hidden,” answered Makarios. “Without Igetis, we would have never discovered it.”

“That is true,” replied Gelio. “With that, do you have any more ‘ssstuff’”, she hissed with her quizzitive serpent-like face, “going on in your head about this place?”

Igetis tilted his head slightly. “I do have some comment on that, but I care to hear the rest of what Dyamion is saying.” He looked directly at Dyamion. “You have not told us…everything.”

Everyone looked at Dyamion who gave another heavy sigh. “I have discovered a predator that seems highly intelligent and looks to be hunting us.” Everyone but Tharros inhaled deeply. “I believe we have very limited time before they decide to attack, and I do not think we can defend ourselves.”

“It never ends,” remarked Gelio. “Why can’t we catch a break?”

“Our crashed ship will not give us adequate defense,” Dyamion continued, “and we have not found any other shelter in our surveying trips which will allow us a position to stand off any attack.”

“So, we leave now while we have a chance,” said Filos. “A moving target is harder to catch.”

“To where?” questioned Tharros. “Plus, many of us are still healing and Igetis is in no condition to travel.”

“I can carry him,” said Dunamis stepping forward, “and I agree with the lizard. We should be moving then sitting here like a dumb animal waiting to be killed.”

“I too believe it is better to leave,” agreed Dyamion. “But we are at a huge disadvantage. We do not know this planet. Moving to any new location could take us into a worse position but sitting here knowing we will be attacked is a death sentence. We can only overcome the problems that we face now.” He paused waiting to see if anyone replied. He received many concerned looks, but no one responded. “We need to plan a strategy to throw off these predators and we need to do it quickly. I have some ideas, but it will take a lot of effort to make it work.”

“I have complete faith… that we will work together to get out of this unfortunate development,” said Igetis with much effort, his face showing much strain.  “Not only my body has been suffering…from my injuries, but my mind… has also been very troubled.”  All looked upon him with much concern.  “Whatever force that is here as evaded my thoughts… and my dreams.”  He closed his eyes, and his face showed that he was troubled.  He then opened his eyes and continued, “I still believe that…being here is where we should be. We already have come…so far and we must…stay together to survive.”

“Could this power or force kill you?” questioned Tharros with great concern. “Is there any way to prevent it? Make it stop?”

“I will be fine,” Igetis said smiling. “I am not as weak as you think.” Tharros reacted with a confused stare, her bright yellow eyes narrowed. Igetis continued, “I sense that whatever power…that is here…will be for our benefit. It is hard to explain…what I am sensing. I have seen visions that have scared me…but also that have inspired me.”

“Any visions on how to survive?” joked Gelio with her thin forked tongue slithering in and out of her mouth.

“I know you were trying to be amusing but I have seen a vision… of a civilization that may hold the key… to this power that I am sensing,” replied Igetis. “This civilization lies at the bottom of a large majestic light purple mountain. A civilization with…incredible technology…and millions of species…all working towards one common goal.”

“That is wonderful and inspiring,” interrupted Dyamion, “but we have got a lot of work to complete and if there was a civilization like that on this planet, we would have heard from them already. Plus, a civilization that size, we would have seen it when we scanned the planet, just before we fell and crashed upon it.”

“I know we have not seen a civilization, but the mountain is right there,” Igetis said using one of his long pale fingers to show the mountain of which he spoke.

Everyone turned to where he was pointing and, in the distance, standing behind the closest mountain range, they saw a large, majestic mountain with a light purple color. All stared in shock and wondered if this was really happening.

Dyamion and Tharros looked at each other and they both knew what each other was thinking, “Well, we have followed him this far, why not follow him to the end.”

 

 

A couple of hours had passed, and a plan was now in place.  Nightfall was coming and the time to execute the plan was now. Their target was the base of the large purple mountain that the “talking fish” saw in his dream. Judging from the distance and their limited knowledge of the terrain, they were guessing a two-day journey based on the rotation of the new planet. 

The plan was to break up into two groups. Dyamion and Atromitos were in one while the rest were in the other. Using tactics that Dyamion learned from his home planet, he would make the first group look much bigger and a more advantageous target. The second group would be led by Tharros. She would provide much needed air support while the rest of the group would use handmade devices to cover their tracks. This unfortunately would put Dyamion and Atromitos in a very dangerous position, but only having to hide two instead of nine would hopefully allow them to survive. 

Their target destination, the purple mountain, was directly north of their location. The second group would head directly there while Dyamion and Atromitos would head west than curl back north once they knew the predators have taken the bait. To make the first group the bigger target, Dyamion had created a device that he and Atromitos would wear that would leave additional tracks. This device fit nicely on their shoulders and spread out with metal poles and wires. Metal casts of the feet of the crew were attached to the end of the poles and small metal blades were strapped to the middle. As they walked, the poles swung hitting the ground and other objects around them creating more tracks and signs that would attract the predator. Handles were created so that they can lengthen and widen the device to travel through tighter spaces. When Dyamion demonstrated the device, many smiles were seen, and laughter was heard. After Igetis complimented him on his work and reminded all why he created the device, all smiles and laughter disappeared, and they all thanked him and Atromitos for their bravery. 

Additional weapons had been created to defend themselves. Most were explosives used from flammable liquid from the ship and were highly effective at short distances, but of course, could only be used once. These weapons were a last resort because the hope was that they would not be tracked or run into other predators on the way. They were relying on someone, or something found at the target location that could give them the answers and help that they were seeking.

Supplies had been divided between the two groups and farewells had been made. The only communication between the two was self-made flares. A red glow for “Danger” and a green glow for “Safe.” If all goes well, they will meet at the base of the mountain within two days. Each group headed in their different directions and the journey began.

 

 

Ten minutes into the trip and Atromitos was already tired of traveling with this weird device on her shoulders. They had been traveling through a tall grassy field. The poles were swinging up and down, slicing down grass all around them and she could see tracks being formed as the metal casts hit the ground. The device had already become “stuck” a couple of times where they had to “yank” it from the stuck position. There had been some narrow areas and Atromitos was surprised at how narrow the device became when they squeezed the handles together. This device seemed to be doing what it was designed to do.

“Where did you get the idea for this weird device?” asked Atromitos as she shifted the weight from one side to the other.

“My father was an inventor,” replied Dyamion. “He would make all types of different corny machines to make our lives easier. He spent hours in his workshop inventing new ways to do some odd job that he wanted to improve.”

“I thought your father was a hunter.”

He smiled. “That was his life work. Most of his inventions were ways to make himself a better hunter.  This device is from an idea that he had on confusing the beasts on our planet so that they took different trails to travel to their hibernation spot. These beasts would always follow the path of the group before them. He would make it appear as if they were going in another direction by creating tracks and leaving their droppings on the trail.”

Atromitos gave a “yuck” face and shook her head. “I hope you did not have the same idea for us.”

“That was the last resort if this device does not work,” he said grinning.

“Your father sounds like a fun character,” she said grinning back.

“He was,” his eyes slightly watering as he thought about the past.

After two hours of traveling, Atromitos began to doubt that their plan was working. She had seen no sign of anybody following them. She was tired of using this device and felt they should leave it behind and start traveling north to catch up with the others. She was about to ask Dyamion when he stopped.  He put a finger up to his long snout to warn Atromitos to keep quiet. They both sat the device on the ground quietly and looked back at the path they had made. They had been traveling through a forested area up an embankment for the last fifteen minutes and they were now standing at an incline looking down over the grassy fields that they had just trudged through. Their path was clearly seen, and it appeared that a large group had passed through. The grassy valley running south dropped over a cliff down into a powerful river below.  On the other side of the cliff, there was a similar valley that continued to run south into a large, gorgeous mountain with silver-colored stones that glowed in the sunlight. A large powerful waterfall could be seen flowing down the mountain like a raging vertical river that flowed into a large body of water that sat majestically at the valley floor. Many different animals, flying, walking, and running could be seen on the shore and in the lake enjoying the water’s coolness. 

Atromitos was shocked by the pure beauty she saw. She began to say something, but she saw Dyamion concentrating at a spot on the other side of the cliff near the base of the mountain where the waterfall smashed into the lake below.

“They are following us,” Dyamion whispered, his glowing green eyes concentrating on a certain spot. “I see two scouts trying to blend in with the other animals.”

Atromitos had powerful eyesight like her companion but was unable to spot them. “I can’t see them.”

“At the base of the waterfall to the left you can see two dark sleek animals hiding in the shadow of the mountain.”

“I see them now.” 

Atromitos saw that they walked on four legs and were about four feet tall. They had thick skin covered in scales that covered their bodies from the neck back to their tail. They were slender and the muscles bulging from their legs and neck showed they were strong as well. Their paws had long claws that could easily slice open any animal to expose their internal organs with one strike. Their eyes looked like thin slices that glowed with an eerie green glow. Their snout was quite large and protruding from their mouths located under their snout were razor-sharp teeth. A large black hairy nose sat at the end of the snout just above the mouth. Their large triangle-shaped ears that sat at the top of their head showed they had keen earing. Their head was covered in a dark thick fur along with the tail. They were built to be completely hidden so they could strike without warning. Only the trained eye could pick them out from the surrounding environment.

“They could be your long-lost relative,” Atromitos jested, “but they got the good looks, and you got what was left.”

“Funny. I extremely doubt they are following us hoping to discuss lost times.”

“How did you know they are following us. I heard nothing but you heard something.”

“They have a unique call. A high pitch ‘growl’ that could be mistaken for the wind blowing through the trees and surrounding rock. Different from any other animal I have heard.”

“Incredible!” whispered Atromitos, stunned by Dyamion’s ability. “I would hate to be your prey.”

A slight smile could be seen from his mouth. “I learned everything from my father. Hunting runs deep in my heritage. It is in our blood.”

“I too am a hunter, but you got me beat. Can you understand what they are saying?”

“It is a sign to let them know that they found something.” He then turned to Atromitos.  “By nightfall, they will have caught up to us. We need to be prepared.”

Atromitos’s face turned to fear, “We're not planning to attack them, are we?”

Dyamion shook his head. “We need to be well hidden so that they pass us. Will have to create a path continuing west then double back before they catch up.”

“Where do we hide?”

“Your species like climbing trees,” he said looking at the trees around them. “This forest runs for miles.  Will hide up in these tall trees and watch them pass below us.”

“Looking at these creatures, I am thinking climbing trees is something they are capable of doing.”

“Let us hope we do not give them a reason to do so.”

They placed the device back on their shoulders and they continued west deeper into the forest in line formation. Metal poles scrapping the trees and leaving tracks as they hit the ground, making an easy path for them to follow.

 

 

Night had fallen and Tharros looked out from inside a cavern that sat snug against a small stream that broke away from a fast-flowing river. They had traveled for five straight hours in single file trying to step in the same spot as the one in front. The last one using what appeared to be a large brush to wipe away any tracks the best that they could. “Leave no trace,” was what Dyamion told the group.

Tharros flew above to scope out the area ahead and then returned to lead the way with Dunamis behind her, carrying Igetis on his back. Besides the fact that there could be predators following them, the journey was breathtaking and amazing. They saw colorful fields of plants and flowers that ran for miles.  It looked as if a vibrant color rainbow stretched across the ground. Waterfalls were seen falling from giant mountains that overlooked them from high above. The red, silver, and green colors of the rock gave new meaning to nature’s beauty as the bold colors sparkled in the sunlight. It was as if someone had just painted the mountains and the paint was still wet. The air was pure and refreshing. It felt as if their lungs had never breathed before. It truly was like walking in paradise.

They had been walking uphill for most of the trip and finally began to walk across flat level ground in a valley of wheat that was as tall as trees in some parts. They came upon a fast-flowing river and followed that river for a small amount of time then followed a small stream that broke off from the river and adventured near large caverns. They decided to make camp in the mouth of one of those caverns because they would be hidden in all directions except from the entrance.  When inside, they would be invisible to any predators in the dark of night.  After everyone was able to eat and drink, they all found comfortable spots and began to sleep. Everyone would take an hour watch and Dunamis took the first watch. Tharros took the second hour. During his watch, Dunamis pointed the homemade flare towards the starlight sky. Three moons lit the firmament with majestic beauty. The flare flew high into the air and a small blast of green light shined in the night sky. The blast was made to be small as not to draw much attention. Hopefully, only the two looking for the signal were the only ones to see it.

It was now fifteen minutes into Tharros’s watch and she felt refreshed after getting a small amount of sleep. She felt accomplished and excited that they traveled so far without much trouble. Igetis continued to heal, and the rest of the crew felt that they could make it the rest of the way before the next nightfall. Hopefully, things would continue to go their way.

“Tharros.”

A stunned Tharros turned excitedly and then whispered, nearly yelling, “Rat! Do not do that!”

“Sorry,” whispered Gennai. “I can’t sleep. Is it alright to sit with you?”

She sighed. “Yes Rat. Your good.” She felt a little hesitant because she was enjoying the quiet.

He sat with his long rat toes sticking up in front of him looking out the entrance of the cavern. His long tail was lying next to him. “It is truly beautiful isn’t it.”

“I have never seen anything like it,” she said continuing to look out the cavern entrance.

“Do you believe that we will find intelligent life where we are going?”

She shrugged. “I have no idea. It feels like there has been one surprise after the other.”

“How can a galaxy this large with so many planets that have livable atmospheres be missed for so long? Somebody has had to find it, but I have not seen any intelligent life or signs of intelligent life anywhere.  Can we truly be the first explorers of a new galaxy?”

“Possible,” Tharros said stretching out her wings, “but the ‘talking fish’ seems to believe something is here. I just hope traveling to this new location is not a mistake.”

“Me too!” said Gennai mimicking Tharros’s actions.

Suddenly there was a sound outside the cavern entrance. Something was approaching. Tharros grabbed the closest weapon, which was the mini-missile launcher. Not the best choice for close distances. Water was now splashing as something was now in the stream that flowed directly in front of the cavern. It continued to walk slowly down the stream, stopping every few seconds. It now was just outside the cavern entrance. Tharros had the weapon pointed in the direction of the sound. The rat cowered behind her, peaking out to see what it was. Suddenly from around the corner stepped an innocent-looking creature with a cute button nose and soft white eyes. It resembled much like a baby deer but with bright orange fur. The creature innocently looked at the two, gave a small yelp, and then ran off. Both Tharros and Gennai gave out a long deep sigh as their hearts began to beat normally again.

“Do you want me to leave you alone, Tharros?” said Gennai. “I feel I might be bothering you.”

“To tell you the truth Rat, I think I might enjoy the company.”  She sat on the ground and patted beside her, gesturing for Gennai to sit. “Tell me more about your species. I just have never met a Rat that I can talk to.”

 

 

Dyamion and Atromitos were now sitting high within a tall tree in the forested area located west of their crashed ship. They were able to execute their plan of traveling farther west then ditching their device and other non-needed supplies. Then carefully, but quickly, they sneaked back to a half-mile in front of the predators’ location and carefully climbed one of the tall trees that were in the path that they had created. The predators were still following their trail as planned and were making ground on them.  They hoped that the predators would pass under their location and continue on their self-made path. 

Suddenly, they could hear the predators approaching their position. Their walk was surprisingly quiet for their large stature. Small growls could be heard as a way of communicating within the pack. There were at least ten to twelve but there could be more. The leaders could be seen sniffing the ground hoping to pick up the scent of their prey. As soon as they reached Dyamion and Atromitos’s position, they unexpectedly stopped a few feet from the tree where our two brave heroes were hiding. Dyamion and Atromitos made eye contact, and both could see that each were nervous. Dyamion gestured to Atromitos to keep quiet and then took a small object from his bag. It was one of the self-made explosives that he made from parts from the ship. He held it ready in case the predators began to climb. 

One of the leaders of the pack began sniffing the tree that they had climbed and then began to look up the tree. Dyamion and Atromitos could only hope that they were far enough up and were hidden well enough behind the large branches. The two could see the green glow of the predator’s eyes. Drool fell from the predator’s mouth and more small growls could be heard. Others in the pack began to pass the tree sniffing the ground and moving forward. But the one that investigated the tree continued to look up sniffing the air and searching the upward parts of the tree. The eyes of the predator were focused on Dyamion and Atromitos’s location. They appeared to be staring directly at them.

One of the other predators then nudged the one focused on the tree. The head of that predator turned and growled mightily at the other. The other growled back and they both had what appeared to be a standoff on what they should do next. After a few seconds of tense moments between the two, one continued to walk forward keeping to the path. The other still waited a few moments and continued smelling and searching the upward parts of the tree. Then with a last large growl, it turned away and began following the others. Dyamion and Atromitos closed their eyes and gave a silent sigh of relief.

After an hour passed and they were certain that there were no predators in the area, they climbed down the tree to the forest floor. As quietly as they could and in a single file they headed north with the large purple mountain as their guide. They had an idea of the location of the others because they both saw the green flare in the night sky which signaled that the other group was safe. They hoped that they would be able to travel fast enough to meet them at the target location around the same time they arrived. With over a five-hour head start, they would have to move quickly. They did have a slight advantage because Dyamion and Atromitos would be traveling at night while the other group rested. As the two quickly headed north to meet up with the other group, Atromitos looked back, and she thought she saw two green glowing eyes watching them. She quickly looked back again and saw nothing.  Believing she was being paranoid, she did not mention it and they both continued to travel north.

 

 

Daylight was now arriving and Makarios was delighted to be on watch because he could see the glorious sunrises.  With two suns rising above the horizon, it made for some gorgeous views that were beyond extraordinary.  This moment was truly advantageous for a creature that had eight eyes. He could see every beautiful flower, plant, river, mountain, and anything else without even having to move his head as the sunlight creeped across the land. The giant spider gave a large grin as he felt the warm sunshine on his hairy face. He stretched all eight of his legs, then placed himself in what he called “two-leg mode” which was where two legs were beneath him, two legs were in front becoming his arms, and the other four curled up nicely at his sides.  His body was now vertical, but his head protruded outward, so he had a neck that allowed him to look straight and turn his head in whatever direction he pleased.  The others preferred him this way because talking to him as a giant spider was “freaky.”  Even though he appeared to be this scary, frightening creature, ironically, he was just a sensitive, shy, and some say the nicest creature you would ever meet. 

He awoke the others and told them that all looked clear outside the cavern. The group readied themselves and within minutes they were on their way to the large purple mountain. They knew that they had a long day’s travel ahead.  As the group set off, Tharros took to the sky and searched ahead to see what obstacles they would encounter.  As she did, she could not stop thinking about Dyamion and Atromitos and hoped that they were all right. 

Dyamion and Atromitos traveled all night and were exhausted. If they continued at the same pace as they had been going, they would arrive at the target location at the same time as the others.  They had not noticed anybody following them which gave them confidence that they were not being tracked.  Hopefully, no other obstacles would impede them from arriving.

Many hours had passed, and the large purple mountain was growing every minute as they closed in on their target.  Tharros was flying above to view the terrain ahead and something caught her eye. She did not know at first what it could be. Then as she focused on what she saw, she was astonished.  She quickly flew back to the group, excited to tell them what she had seen.

Dyamion and Atromitos had been climbing a steep hill for the last hour. They knew that just over this hill, they would have the perfect view of their final stop. They also hoped that they may be able to see the other group and hopefully signal them of their location. As they reached the top of the hill, they looked out over the valley below. It was amazing like the many other sights they had seen. This view however dominated all the rest. There was a lake where the water was as blue as the sky. All types of gorgeous trees where the leaves were of all vibrant colors were seen everywhere. The view made you feel as if buckets of paint had just dropped from above leaving absolute beauty. Flowers and plants scattered the valley floor that showed a pattern that no true artist could ever create. Everything was quite remarkable to view, but this was not all they saw. Both their jaws dropped in amazement as they cast their eyes to what lied beneath the shadow of the large mountain with stones that had the color that described royalty, nobility, the color of true vibrant purple.

Tharros landed before the other group and was at a loss for words for a moment but then she began to tell them of what she saw. She said that it was gorgeous and that there were no words to describe it.  She wanted them to hurry so they all could see what she saw. As they quicken their pace up the hill, they heard a dreadful noise from behind that made all of them stop and turn around quickly.

 

 

Behind them about a mile and half in distance, just coming out of the forested area that the group just left not very long ago, were the predators that had been hunting them. They all growled with such a mighty roar that the ground felt like it was shaking. Each of them tensed their muscles and shook their bodies preparing themselves to run down their opponent. The joy these predators felt was ecstatic. Finally, they will kill worthy prey and enjoy the sweet taste of victory.

Dyamion and Atromitos saw the sight of the predators emerging from the forest ready to advance on their friends. They wondered how they could have found them when their plan looked as if it worked perfectly. Suddenly, they heard a noise behind them. Down at the bottom of the rocky hill they had just climbed, creeping upwards towards them, were more of the same predators. Both Dyamion and Atromitos lowered their head in regret knowing that it was them that had led them here. Their regret was but a brief second because they knew they had to defend themselves and their friends.

“Run!” shouted Tharros, “As fast as you can! Towards the mountain!”

As the rest of the group began running, Tharros took to the air and flew towards the predators. She readied the weapon she had strung across her chest and aimed the mini rocket launcher at the now approaching predators as they advanced on the group with amazing speed. She could only hope that this weapon was as effective as it was on her species as she fired the first shot towards the predators.  The impact created an explosion twenty feet in diameter which sent some of the predators flying which killed two and injured others. There was still many more advancing as the group appeared to be at least twenty.

Dyamion and Atromitos saw the explosion and the flare that Dunamis launched in the air. A red light exploded signaling danger, but they already knew as they too were in mortal peril. The hill that they were on dropped straight down over one hundred feet. There was another hill to their left that looked to have a path that led to the valley below, but the two hills were separated by a gap of ten feet. A fall would be instant death but making the jump had a better chance of survival than fighting the predators.

Dyamion pointed to the other hill and began running towards it. Atromitos was behind him as the predators began their advance up the hill. With all his strength, Dyamion leaped across the gap and landed safely on the other side. He turned to see Atromitos slipping and falling. Her body stopped sliding just before tumbling to her death. She turned to see the predators almost upon her. She raised the laser rifle to her shoulder and began to fire. The blasts hit two of the approaching predators. One blast knocked a predator over the edge of the cliff. The second blast injured another, sending the predator tumbling back down the hill, taking a few other predators along as well. This left her time to spring to her feet and then attempted to jump the gap. Without a running start, she did not have the momentum to land safely but she reached out and grabbed hold of the cliff on the other side. Her laser rifle was strapped around her shoulders which allowed her to grab the cliff with both hands. Her claws dug deep into the rock of the cliff. She began to slip, but Dyamion dove forward and grabbed her left hand and now she was dangling from the cliff with Dyamion using all his strength to keep her from falling.

Another predator had made it up the hill on the other side of the gap and was advancing. Using every ounce of strength that he had, Dyamion swung Atromitos up to level ground. As he did, Atromitos helped him by pushing off the cliff with her feet, which gave her enough momentum to swing up to level ground. In mid-fight, Atromitos saw the advancing predator and with her free right hand, she aimed and fired the laser rifle at the approaching predator. The blast struck the creature while attempting to jump the gap. The force of the blast made the predator lose its momentum and fall to its death to the rocks below. Atromitos landed on her stomach, knocking the wind from her body. With no time to waste, Dyamion pulled her to her feet and pushed her down the path towards the valley below.

At the same time, Dyamion was lifting Atromitos to safety, Tharros circled back and saw the rest of her group running as fast as they could towards the mountain. The predators were gaining ground even after the mini-missile impact. She hoped that the blast would frighten them away or at least make them think twice about attacking, but these creatures were relentless just as Dyamion feared. 

Others in the group had weapons that Dyamion made for them. Small round explosive containers made from the metal casing from the ship and filled with a flammable liquid. A small fuse was connected to each one so they could be lit and then explode within a few seconds after being tossed.  Dunamis, Gelio, and Filos began lighting their explosives and then throwing them back towards the predators.  Explosions began going off behind them which did injure two of the predators, but this only enticed them to run faster.

Dyamion and Atromitos sprinted down the hill hoping that there were no other barriers from reaching the valley floor. Unfortunately, their hope was in vain. The path led to another drop-off, but luckily the angle was not straight down, and they were much closer to the valley floor. With the predators right behind them, they decided to slide down the wall of rock and dirt. The angle of the wall became steeper as they slid and then they found themselves falling forward. As they hit the valley floor, they tumbled for a few feet and then quickly rose to their feet. Both could feel that their body was bruised and injured but they had to keep moving. They looked behind them and saw a predator jumping from the rock wall that they had slid down. Atromitos quickly raised the laser rifle and fired three blasts. Two of the blasts hit the predator on the shoulder and the right front leg. This injured the leaping predator which made the creature hit the ground hard making it tumble. Dyamion and Atromitos continued to sprint towards the other group. Both showing a slight limb as pain radiated in their ankles and knees.

As Dyamion and Atromitos were sliding down the wall towards the valley floor, Gennai quickly pulled from his bag a more powerful explosive that Dyamion created for emergency circumstances. This being one of those, Gennai felt it best to use it. The explosive held the same flammable liquid but also a small amount of plasma that Dyamion was able to safely extract from what was left from the reactor on the ship. The canister holding both liquids was designed to keep them separated so they could travel with the device. The plasma was stored in a small glass capsule and the way to arm the explosive was to twist the top portion of the canister which then broke the capsule which mixed the plasma with the flammable liquid. After quickly arming the explosive, Gennai slammed the explosive to the ground sending the spikes at the bottom of the canister into the ground. Fortunately, this did not set off the explosive. Gennai lit the fuse and began running once again. 

Not hearing the explosion, Gennai stopped and turned to look. The others of his group were ahead of him and continued to run. The predators were within two hundred feet of Gennai when there was an explosion that shook the earth. The diameter of the blast was more than one hundred feet. Gennai was sent flying. He hit the ground hard and found himself disoriented. The blast took out four of the predators as parts of them fell from the sky. The others of Gennai’s group had stopped and looked back to see if Gennai was alright.  Gelio attempted to slither towards him, but more predators came flying through the smoke of the blast. She had no chance of getting to him in time. One of the predators lunged at Gennai, its mouth wide open, ready to sink its teeth into Gennai's soft underbelly.  Suddenly, Tharros swooped in and grabbed Gennai with her claw feet, just as if she was hunting her prey. Luckily, he was not her prey but her friend which was being rescued literally from the jaws of death. He suddenly found himself flying and could see all his friends below.

“Hold on Rat!” she yelled as she turned and aimed her weapon at the predators. Now, these creatures were incensed because their first victim was stolen from their grasp. They raced at the others remaining on the ground. The others of the group were again running at full speed. Tharros fired and the impact created another explosion that sent two of the predators flying.

At the time of the huge explosion, Dyamion and Atromitos stopped suddenly but luckily the predators following them were stunned as well. Then they watched in horror as they saw the predators about to feast upon Gennai. Then they were shouting for joy as Tharros snatched him from death. They continued to run as fast as they could towards the others as they saw another explosion from Tharros’s weapon. Atromitos fired more laser blasts towards the following predators. The creatures dodged the blasts and continued the chase.

Finally, Dyamion and Atromitos caught up with the rest of the team. Atromitos continued to fire her laser rifle at all approaching predators. Two more predators fell from the laser blasts, but more were approaching. Tharros flung Gennai softly to the ground next to the rest of the group and landed next to Dyamion and Atromitos. She aimed her weapon and fired another mini missile towards the predators.  An explosion threw two more but there seemed to be more coming from all directions. Atromitos continued to fire and Dyamion threw what explosives he had left. More predators hit the ground.

“I have one missile left,” said Tharros. The three of them stood at the front of the line. The rest of the group was behind. They were very near the base of the mountain and what stood behind them was truly remarkable, but they had other priorities. It appeared that death was upon them as the predators began to surround them.

Igetis had been carried by Dunamis the entire way and he could see that they were in big trouble. His mind was troubled because he felt that this was the right decision to come to this place, but now he feared he had brought them here to die.  He suddenly knew what he had to do. Surprising everyone, Igetis leaped from Dunamis’s back and ran towards the base of the mountain, using every ounce of strength he had. The others decided to follow. The predators began to advance again and were very close to slicing many of the group in half. Atromitos continued to fire her laser rifle sending some of the predators back. She knew that there was not much power left.

Igetis was first to arrive, and as the others arrived, they stood next to him in a line. They were wanting to keep running but Igetis told them to wait. Everyone was shocked by this response, but they saw that the predators were not advancing.

“They will not come any closer,” whispered Igetis in his weakened state. “The fear of this place will not allow them to enter.” Many of the predators stood eyeing the entire group and growling with fierceness. The nine could tell that they were angry and were wanting to continue the chase, but not one of the many predators advanced. At the shock of everyone, all the predators did one final growl at the same time that shook the earth and then turned and walked away.

Now that the danger was over, everyone began to look around at where they risked their lives to arrive.  What they saw was a gigantic civilization of incredible artistic buildings made of polished marble and crystal glass of all shapes and sizes. Roads that glittered as if paved in gold. Pillars that rose into the sky held statues that no ordinary carver could have created. These pillars lined the border of this civilization all around which gave the sign to any visitor that this was a place of power and majesty. Tall, majestic trees, gorgeous green plants, and vibrant color flowers added a shocking brilliance to the already incredible sight. None in this group had seen a civilization quite like this. Many in this group felt that they had just stepped through heaven’s gate.

“Incredible!” shouted Gelio. “One question if I may?” she said with her serpent tongue flicking. “If those creatures that traveled so far to hunt us down and then lost many of their pack in trying to kill us. If they are too scared to enter this extraordinary place, why do we want to be here?”

Everyone in the group could only laugh. Only Gelio would ask such a question when they all had just escaped a gruesome, horrible death by ferocious predators.

0