Chapter 14 The Price of Immortality
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After several minutes, Igetis regained his strength. His face still showed weariness, but he was able to stand.  He patted Filos and Dyamion on the shoulder to thank them for coming to his aid. He then walked towards the General who was now standing by the first pillar of the Temple looking at the face carved into the stone.  The General saw Igetis approaching him and nodded as Igetis stopped and stood next to him. The General’s face showed nothing but regret. Rose was standing by herself not too far away.  She and Igetis locked eyes and then she immediately turned away as tears began to flow again down her red cheeks.  Igetis then turned and looked at the face that the General was viewing.  “This must be the face of your King?” Igetis asked.

“That it is,” answered the General. “The mighty King of Olympus.”

Igetis then looked at the General.  “How long ago did you last see him?”

The General lowered his head and lightly laughed.  “The last time I was on this planet was just over fifteen hundred years ago.”

Igetis was surprised by his answer. “Well, you don’t look a day over a thousand.”  The General smiled at the joke which made Igetis smile as well. “I have the feeling that you were not born Darkkarian.”

The General’s face showed a look of surprise. “You would be correct, I was born an Olympian.”

“So why do you stand here and call yourself the General of the Darkkarian Military?”

The General looked down and brushed his thick black hair with his hand and then looked at Igetis with his liquid white eyes and said in a somber tone, “When I served as a protector under the King of Olympus, I was told to visit many different worlds and to search out their weaknesses and their strengths.  I then was told to bring back information of worlds that would most benefit Olympus.”

“Reconnaissance missions.  Search out your enemies and your allies,” stated Igetis.

“Exactly,” said the General.  “Find out who would be willing to give everything up to be a part of his Kingdom.  If not, how difficult would it be to defeat and steal everything they have.”

“I sense that this was something you were forced to do,” alleged Igetis.

“At first, I was inspired by his words and his goals for the future,” answered the General as he looked at the face carved in the stone again.  “He had such a gift to unite and impassion everyone around them.  I felt as if he was a true leader.  Hope for everyone.”  The General then looked at Igetis and he could see the terror in the General’s eyes. “Then he told the ones closest to him, the ones he trusted the most that to stay in power, we must all be willing to sacrifice.  We must all be willing to do exactly what he says.”  The General shook his head and closed his eyes. “I remember feeling nothing but terror when he said that.”  He gave a heavy sigh and continued, “After that, it began to change for the worse.  He began building and designing the most awful creatures.  He would find beasts on different planets and then take the most harmful part out of each of them and build creatures that would give you nightmares.”

Igetis’s face tensed at thinking about what creatures these must have been like.  He had a fear of tiny spiders but for some odd reason, Makarios did not bother him.

“We began taking over worlds” the General said with anger in his voice, “and I watched as many species were killed trying to defend their homes.  Everyone that followed him, praised him for his actions.  They loved him for doing it because they believed like him, anyone that would not join us was our enemy.”

Igetis shook his head in disgust.  Others of the team had stepped closer to the General so they could listen as well.  They all could only stare in shock at what they were hearing.

“I was out exploring a world, obeying his orders, looking at places he wanted to either conquer or convince them to come into his Kingdom,” explained the General.  His eyes then began to water.  “I came across this beautiful female human on this world.  They were mostly like our people but still, she was not an Olympian.  We spoke and found that we were very much alike. She had this gorgeous brunette hair, and her golden-brown eyes were just to die for.  I spent all my time with her, discovering what she liked, her interests, her desires.  It was wonderful.”

Igetis could see how powerful this memory was for the General.  No one spoke but just allowed the General to continue. Rose could sense what was being said and she too approached to hear.

“He then asked me to report my findings,” stated the General in a tone showing no emotion.  “I lied and said this planet has nothing that would help us.  He sensed my lie and went there to discover for himself.  Of course, he found everything that he wanted.  He demanded why I lied and when I would not tell him, he sent others to search out what I had been doing there.  He discovered the truth and questioned me on their findings.  I never told him, but he knew.”  The General now had tears flowing freely from his eyes.  “As punishment, he made me a species that was most hated and villainized by everyone around.  He told me that I had to prove my worth and that I was not allowed to love anyone that he did not feel was worthy of his approval.  He then conquered the world that I tried to protect and killed anyone that would not bow to his rule.  He then sent me away to live with my new species.”  The General shook his head at the face carved into the stone and walked up the path towards the entrance.

Rose then approached Igetis and both locked eyes and smiled.  She then said, “What was so ironic about this is that the General changed the Darkkarians. He used his power to serve them and see a better path than what they were doing before he came.  They followed his example, and he became a great leader among them.  Many in the surrounding galaxies saw this change among the species and began to accept them and worked with them.  The King was so outraged that he sent his followers and creatures of death to destroy the General’s new home.  Now there are few left around the Universe, and they have had to find new homes.”

Igetis then approached Rose and hugged her.  He then whispered, “I know you would have stopped him if you could.”

She put her head on Igetis’s shoulder and whispered, “Thank You.”

 

 

Everyone then walked up the path, heading in the same direction where the General went.  They found him standing on the first floor of the Temple examining all the different holograms.  He was wiping away the tears, surprised at how being back here was affecting him.

“Still wanting more answers, I see,” the General said as everyone approached.

“We can tell this King was a monster from everything that you told us,” said Dyamion, “but we still do not know what happened to everyone on this planet.  We do not know how you imprisoned the King and overcame all his followers.  We do not even know the name of your mighty King.”

“We do not even know your true names,” stated Gennai looking at Rose.

“I have been saving the best part until the last,” said the General with a big smile.  “That will be the biggest shock.”

“You believe we have heard these names before?” asked Gelio with her serpent tongue flicking.

“You would have had to be living in a very remote area of the Universe if you hadn’t,” remarked the General with a sly grin.

“I have seen the name Olympus before, but only in old books and maps.  It was said to be a planet that no longer exists,” explained Igetis.  “It is amazing that a galaxy this large and populated would not be found in more planet’s informational systems and constellation maps.” 

“That is because we have tried to scrub the name from all systems,” stated Rose.  “This happened over fifteen hundred years ago.  We have had a lot of time to erase from any planet’s history the existence of Olympus.  As you now know, the price of being discovered is a disaster for every living soul in this Universe.”

“Then please tell us the name of this powerful being that will destroy us all,” demanded Igetis.

The General turned to the group who was eagerly awaiting the answer.  “He is known by many different names, but the one that he is best known for is Zeus.”

All jaws dropped and eyes grew wide at hearing the name.  The General could tell that they had all heard of the name before.  Many times, they had heard his name said by many different species on many different planets.

“That is impossible!” yelled Dunamis.  “There are many species on my planet that worship Zeus as their god. There are statues of this being in many locations and religions based on him throughout different lands of my planet. None of the pictures that I have seen look like what I have seen here.”

“That is the same with mine as well,” explained Makarios.  “I remember close friends that worshipped Zeus.”

“I believe that name would be found on all of our planets,” remarked Igetis.  “All of us know of religions that worship a god named Zeus.  How he is portrayed and looks is different on every planet, but the name is the same.”

The General smiled a huge grin, and everyone gave him a confused look.  “That is because he changed himself to meet the appearance of each planet he visited.  He would announce who he was, demonstrate his power, say he was god, and ask for them to worship him.  He was a master at misleading anyone into believing whatever he wanted.”

“That was not the only reason he would change his appearance,” remarked Rose.  The General looked at her and rolled his eyes.  The rest of the group then gave Rose a confused look.  “That us just say that Zeus has many illegitimate children,” she said with her smile.

“That is disgusting!” shouted Gelio while everyone else showed a face of repugnance.

“This King of Olympus sounds like a very sick individual,” said Dyamion. His green eyes narrowed showing his dislike.

“He is also brilliant, cunning, powerful, and very self-absorbing which makes him extremely dangerous,” said the General.  “And we have no idea where he is at.”

“How long before he finds his way back here?” asked Igetis.

“I have no idea,” answered the General while shaking his head.  “It is hard to say exactly what he will do.” 

“I think the better question is what can he do,” remarked Igetis.

“Why would you say that?” questioned the General.

“We know that he can overtake minds and can make others do things against their will.  I am the perfect example of that,” stated Igetis.  “But if he has everything here that he can use at will, why did he make me leave to go find Rose?”

“It is because this place does not have everything he needs,” answered Rose.

“What is it that he is looking for then?” asked Igetis, looking at Rose with his quizzitive look.

“His memories,” explained the General. Another large grin on his face.

Igetis tilted his head, and his face showed a look of confusion as did the rest of the team.  “I do not follow.”

“When you explained to me some of the events that happen the night, he overtook your mind, you said that it was as if he was discovering things for the first time,” explained Rose.

“No, I said it seemed that he was learning everything for the first time,” corrected Igetis.

“Fine,” stated Rose in an irritated tone.  “The reason he felt this way is that he had no memories of who he is. Only faint images.”

“But now?” asked Igetis.

“He is learning once again who he is,” said the General, “and becoming more powerful each day.”

“How were his memories taken from him in the first place?” asked Igetis.

Rose and the General looked at each other.  Igetis could sense that they were pondering if they should explain how it was done. The General then gave a heavy sigh and looked towards one of the many holograms.  “You see the hologram there. That was one of the first demonstrations that were shown to show the true power of the device that Zeus had built.  You can see how it was able to build a mountain from large piles of rocks in mere minutes.”  The General turned and faced Igetis.  “When a species enters the device that has a soul and a mind, the experience is different.  Your body, down to the cellular level is being rebuilt and enhanced.  That power then stays with you forever, which allows your body to be reborn, over and over again, always repairing and strengthening itself back to its true self after you exited the device.”  The General paused looking to see if they all understood.  “This has a huge effect on any species that is reborn by the device.  You see and hear things that will frighten you.  Memories of past events that you do not want to remember are relived once again.  You suffer through all the pains and agony that you suffered before. Then they are all gone, and you are at peace once again.”

“That sounds horrible,” commented Atromitos.  “But it must be worth the price to be given such incredible power.”

“I have entered the device twice, once by my own free will, and the next time, I was forced to do so.  Both times were extremely agonizing.  Would I have done it the first time, now knowing what happens to oneself?  Yes, I would,” explained the General.  “But I will not go back through again because it puts you through so much pain and every time is more powerful than the first.” He paused to catch his thoughts.  “Zeus entered the device numerous times. So many times, that I cannot count. He constantly wanted to change himself into some other form. Wanted to better himself with an idea that he had or transform himself into a creature that would benefit himself in some way. After many attempts, we could tell that it was changing him for the worse. Nothing could satisfy him. He knew if he continued, he would not be able to handle it. So, being the brilliant genius that he was, he found a way where he would not have to enter the device ever again. He transformed himself into energy. This allowed him to enter and possess any species he wished. He could transfer his consciousness to any being.”

“That sounds absolutely crazy but quite remarkable at the same time,” said Gelio. Her eyes showing that she was memorized by what she was hearing.

“That it was,” said the General.  “He even created thousands of different body formations of all types and stored them in special containers up in the War-Room.  He could then easily switch to any body formation that he wished.  Each one gave him different abilities and strengths that allowed him to destroy any species that he desired.” 

“This story is more than I ever thought possible,” said Tharros, shaking her head.

“I am not done yet,” said the General with his large grin.  “This great accomplishment that Zeus thought that he had done, also made him the most vulnerable.  When he was in his energy form, we could do things that we could not do after he entered one of his ‘masterpieces’.  He did not have the same power and abilities when in energy form and his defenses were quite weak.”  The General showed a sly smile of his own as he continued the story.  “The plan was put together, and the four of us knew that we could not fail.  I was able to sneak back to Olympus by using a disguise.  The other three had created a body formation that they knew Zeus would want to try.  His greed and envy did not let us down.  We had placed this enticing trick of ours underneath a magical glass orb that was created just for this purpose. It was well hidden, and he did not expect it at all.  He felt that no one could overpower his greatness.  As he entered the body formation that we had created, it immediately began to shrivel away leaving nothing but him in his most vulnerable state.  Less than a second later the orb dropped, capturing him, then sealed itself and shrunk to an orb that would fit in the palm of your hand.  The glass orb was built to withstand hard blows, but we knew if any of his followers found it, they would be able to release him.  We had three final steps in place that we thought would make it so he could never escape.” The General’s face appeared to show enjoyment in telling this story. “First, we placed the orb in the device and then used it to wipe away his memories.  Since he was energy, the process was simple.  There was no way to defend himself.  Second, we then took the body form that was his true self and placed it on the throne. We then sent out word that Zeus had been murdered and blamed it on some of his closest followers.  When they found his lifeless corpse sitting on the throne and since nobody knew his ability to switch forms except those closest to him, they felt that their King had been murdered by his own people and madness erupted.  Third, we created a giant nebula by simultaneously destroying numerous stars around the borders of Olympus which made it that no one could enter or leave.  Then we let the madness play out.” The General’s tone showed no emotion. “It was quite a tribute to the end of his kingdom.  So many worshipped him so much that they fought to the death to avenge his murder.  The war lasted many years but eventually, almost everyone died.  Only a few of his strongest followers survived and they fled not wanting to find themselves suffering a fate like Zeus.  To this day, they do not know what happened to their master.”

 

 

Once again, the rest of the group, except Rose, was in great shock.  None of them could imagine allowing a war to take place that would take the lives of so many. Igetis shook his head in disgust and his face told everyone that what he had just heard was absolute madness. “How can you allow billions to murder and destroy each other based on a lie!” he shouted which seemed to shake the ground.

“Every last being that lived in his kingdom believed Zeus was a god,” said the General calmly.  “He had convinced every single one that he was their protector and whatever he did was acceptable.  We tried for years to convince others that what he was doing was wrong, but none of them would accept the truth. He was their god.” The General paused and then took a few steps towards Igetis and looked at him eye to eye. His voice became powerful, and his anger was rising with every word said. “We never told them to fight!  We did not push this war!  We took away a King that had destroyed countless planets and ended the lives of so many! If they could not see how wicked he was and were willing to fight to the death for him, then they deserve their reward!” The General stepped back, and everyone could see that his eyes were pitch black.

Igetis could sense pure anger seething from the General.  But also, he sensed regret.  “Everyone?  Children, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters. Did each of them deserve to die?”

The General’s eyes were now white, and he appeared calmer. “Death in this situation was not a curse. It was a blessing.  Zeus would have dragged them all to hell if he could.”

“But why not just kill Zeus and then walk away?” asked Dyamion.

“Even if we could,” answered Rose, “the strongest of his followers would have taken his place.  We had to blame them so that they could not obtain his throne because all of Olympus would not allow them.”

“Why were you not able to kill him?” asked Atromitos.

“Because Zeus had made himself completely immortal,” answered the General. All nine looked at him with the same confused stare. “Do you know the pain and agony that he had to go through to shape himself into pure energy? Energy that cannot be destroyed or transformed ever again.  Always able to live as the species and worlds around him age into dust.  Only Zeus had the power to do that.”

“I believe there is another that could,” stated Rose.

“Well, he can't help us now,” commented the General.  The rest of the group looked confused about this comment as well, but they returned to the matter at hand.

“I thought you Olympians lived forever,” said Gelio as she slithered herself into a comfortable position.

Rose smiled. “We eventually die, and we can be killed but only by something or someone much stronger than us.”

“Zeus had that power to kill you?” questioned Makarios.

“Yes, and everything that he built using his technology,” said the General.  “But all of us will have to die sometime.”

Igetis then said in a calm tone while walking around the holograms on the first floor of the large building, “So, let me sum up what we have learned since you began telling this surprising tragic tale of what can only be known as the most shocking story of all time.” His tone had a hint of mockery. There were a few smiles from the group, but the faces of the General and Rose stayed serious. Igetis continued, but all could see he was becoming increasingly agitated, “Olympus is the name of this gigantic galaxy that was built by a people known as Olympians. They lived previously on a planet that possessed the power to greatly lengthen all life that lived on a place called Mount Olympus. This power also made these Olympians powerful which made some consider them as gods.” He stopped and looked directly at the General.  His eyes narrowed and focused. “Then many wish to leave Mount Olympus so they do not have to live under the harsh stringent rules of a King that many considered ruthless. They are allowed to leave and live in the lower worlds below Mount Olympus. They lose all powers that Mount Olympus gave them and for thousands of years they grow into a great nation.” He paused and acted as if he was waiting to see if Rose or the General had any comments but really, he wanted to sense what they were feeling. He sensed exactly what he thought he would, anger.

“This great nation then secretly works with a few of the Olympians to overthrow their Kingdom, but then ‘backstabs’ them just as they were about to be victorious. This outrages your King and wants to destroy all who dare try to destroy his kingdom. He does not know what truly happened, that his people are conspiring against him. It looks as if all-out war is at hand.” Igetis then stopped and threw his hands up into the air and said, “Then Hallelujah, new technology is discovered which allows these powerful Olympians to share their power with everyone. But your then King wants nothing to do with it. He is overbearing and ruthless. He kills all who dare oppose him. So, you decide to kill your King!” Igetis was now almost shouting, and all could hear that he was using a mocking tone as he spoke. Rose and the General did not speak but appeared to be fuming. 

“You then turn your kingdom over to a fiend that thirsts nothing but power. He destroys and demolishes all worlds that stand in his wake. He builds monsters and creatures and unleashes them on all worlds so that he might take their literal homes and add to his monstrous kingdom. You then tell us the name of this all-mighty powerful being. Zeus!” Igetis paused. His team had never seen him this angry before. Rose and the General said nothing. Igetis continued to walk around the room, his voice seemed to continue to increase in volume. 

“Zeus, the god that is worshipped by thousands of planets all over the Universe! Huge churches that shout his name asking for his protection! Large statues of him celebrate his kindness and compassion! But he is not that! He is a brilliant, intelligent beast that wants nothing but power! So, you spend years developing a plan so that you may imprison your King because he is now immortal! After you capture him, you let a lie of him being murdered start a war that ends with the death of billions of his followers all because no one can be allowed to follow in his footsteps or set your King free!” Igetis was breathing heavy, and his eyes were filled with rage, and he was looking directly at Rose and the General.  He then calmly stated, “Is that the story that you wish for us to believe?”

“It is the truth, Igetis!” shouted Rose.

“I have listened with an open mind and watched your trickery with this little device that can shape rocks. But you expect us to believe that this is the home of the great god Zeus. We do not even know your real names.” Igetis said while pointing at Rose and the General.

The General stood and shouted, “I am Perseus!  I am the son of Zeus!”

Everyone, except Rose, stared in disbelief. Everyone had heard this name as well. There were many stories of what the Mighty Perseus had done. Incredible stories of bravery and courage that many had used as an example to preserve towards.  Many thought he was a myth, others thought he was found in the heavens.

Rose stood as well and shouted her true name, “I am Aphrodite!  I am the daughter of Zeus!”

Igetis stumbled and fell backward at the shock of hearing her name. His religion believed in the God of Love. Her name was famous in his world.  Dyamion and Tharros helped Igetis to stand.  He stared at Rose and his jaw hung open. “That is impossible!  That is blasphemous!  I have family that worships your sayings, your words, your gospel!  You are supposed to be living in the stars, blessing those that call on you!” Igetis shouted.

“There are many myths of my existence. I too have visited many worlds, helping many by using my powers. I promise you that I am her,” said Rose.

Igetis could sense her truthfulness. His mind was racing trying to understand everything that had happened. “This is a very hard story to believe.  It goes against everything that we have been taught, studied, or read.”

“I know Igetis,” answered Rose. “But it is all true. Everything. We are the son and daughter of Zeus. He was the King of Olympus. He built this world using the power he created. He destroyed countless worlds along with billions of species. His wrath would have never stopped if we did not act.”  She then paused and looked at everyone in the group and all could see her face was filled with fear.  “And now, his wrath on this Universe will again begin.”

0