Paimon Confronts Her Friend
469 8 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Carriage arrives just outside a village of Fumel, a village around the same size of Aslely. The party hops outside of the carriage and look at the village in front of them with a couple guards out front.

"Wow, a new village!" Paimon says in happiness.

"Seems like a simpler town compared to Alsely." Rein points out.

"Well, it's a farming village." Demai informs.

Kedrern walks up to a guard and speaks to them. The guard nods and Kedrern bows. The party walks up to Kedrern.

"What are we gonna do, old-man?" Paimon asks

Kedrern turns to the party. "We've gonna stay here for a couple days to rest a little, before we head to Greendale."

Everyone nods and they hear Rein... fliritng.

"So, you're a guard?" Rein flirts with a female guard. "That's cool, I'm an adventurer, aiming for the top."

"Woow..." The female guard says without enthusiasm.

The party deadpans as they watch Rein's failed flirting attempts. Kedrern sighs and walks into the village as he stands his fingers. Bneli neighs and follows after him.

"What a loser." Paimon follows after Kedrern.

"I know, right." Demai follows Paimon.

Albuis just nods as he follows after them, Teina doesn't show any emotion and follows after everyone.

Julian walks over to Rein and grabs him by the back of his armor. "Come on, lover bird, let's go." He drags Rein away.

"Wait, wait!" Rein shouts as he flails around. "I was just about to get her name!"

"Yeah, sure you were."

A few minutes later the party follows the carriage through the small village. Teina takes the back, staying a few steps back.They all look around and notice one thing.

"Why is everyone so tense?" Julian questions.

Someone walks up to him. "The village has been under threat by a large group of bandits the past few days. They haven't done any real damage, other than take our money and food. But they've been getting more aggressive by the day, it's only time before they take one of our lives." The person bows and walks away.

"Bandits?" Rein questions, before he looks over to Kedrern. "Do you think they're the same ones that attacked us?"

Kedrern rubs his white beard as his dull green eyes hold a calculating look. "Maybe, it seems way too coincidental. All of you keep your guard up."

"Yes sir." They all responds and Nemuri gives an affirmative cry.

They all arrive at a general store and Kedrern turns to the group. "Stay here for a few moments, I'll be right back."

Everyone nods and they see all the scared villagers moving around.

"You all thinking the same thing?" Rein questions.

"We kill the shit out of these bandits!" Paimon grows a sadistic smirk, and everyone slowly turns to her. She blinks a few times as she shakes her head. "Sorry."

"I agree with Paimon." Rein says.

"Now now." Julian speaks up. "We can try to handle this without killing anyone."

"Julian..." Demai starts.

"I know, I know... If it comes to it, we'll have to kill them. I know not everything can be resolved peacefully."

Albuis nods and slams his closed fist into a palm, cracking it. Yet everyone looks towards Teina, but she's just staring off into space.

"Teina?" Julian calls out, and she tenses a little before looking towards her leader. "You okay?"

"Uh, yeah. sorry. Yeah, if they try to mess with these people, I'll stick an arrow in their eyes." Teina says, and Albuis gives her a thumbs up.

Paimon looks at Teina in worry. The hidden elf notices Paimon's stare and glances away.

Inside the store Kedrern is leaning against a counter as he talks to the older shopkeeper.

"Why hasn't Duke Numbred sent his knights to help?" Kedrern asks.

The shopkeeper shrugs. "I don't know, all I know is that his knights are searching for something out in the forest, instead of protecting his town."

"Searching for what?"

"Most likely something to cure his daughter."

"She's gotten worse?" Kedrern asks in worry.

"She's been bedridden for a couple weeks. She collapsed after having a coughing fit... There was a lot of blood this time."

"Poor girl..."

The shopkeeper nods. "She doesn't deserve any of this. She's such a sweet girl and the magic she has, she uses for selfless reasons."

Kedrern sighs and rubs his head. "She's only twelve..."

"But I heard someone is helping him this time."

"Who?" Kedrern grows suspicious.

"I dunno, he just appeared a couple days ago, and since then he's been by the Duke's side. I believe he's the reason why the Duke's knights are outside of the town."

"I don't like this."

The shopkeeper nods. "Neither do I friend. But this man seems dangerous, so you need to be careful."

Kedrern laughs. "I've been alive for 152 years. I wouldn't have lived this long without being careful."

"And magic."

"And magic."

The shoperkeeper slaps a hand on the counter. "So you got my supplies?"

Kedrern smiles. "Yeah, I got a little extra this time."

The shopkeepers smiles. "I knew I could trust you."

"Have I ever given you a reason not too."

"Well, I can na-"

Kedrern holds a hand up. "Okay, okay, I get it." He heads for the door.

Outside Rein is trying to flirt with a village girl,but Paimon grabs him by the back of his armor and drags him away.

"Stop flirting with every girl." Paimon says in annoyance.

"Gah!" Rein shouts. "Lemme go! Why are you so freakishly strong!"

Nemuri laughs as she watches.

Julian gives a clap. "Good work, Paimon!"

"Why is no one on my side!" Rein shouts as Paimon drops him onto the ground in front of the party.

Demai deadpans. "Do you want me to explain."

"No, ma'am."

Kedrern pops his head out of the doorway. "Hey, can you guys grab the sacks with the red ribbons on them?"

"On it, sir!" Julian calls out.

Everyone heads over to the carriage, besides Teina, who just stays back.

"Hey, Teina, you gonna help?" Demai asks.

Teina shakes her head. "You guys seem to got it."

"What a lazy bastard." Rein mutters.

Paimon slaps his head, causing him to crash into the ground. "Be nice!"

Rein lets out a pain. "Owww..."

Everyone starts bringing in several sacks with red ribbons on them into the store, as Teina watches. Rein climbs off the ground, using the carriage as he rubs his head.

Nemuri pats Rein on the head.

"Thanks, Nemuri..." Rein mutters.

.

.

Night soon comes and the party is inside a large room at an Inn. Teina is missing. Paimon is getting ready for bed as she wears a large oversized shirt.

"So that's why you went to the clothes shop?" Demai asks.

Paimon nods as she sits on a bed with Nemuri beside her. She puts her hands through the Daedream's hair. "Yeah, Paimon doesn't want to sleep in her regular clothes all the time."

Julian takes off his gear. "Well, at least we got out weapons all sharpened now."

Rein lays on his bed, in a simple tunic and trousers. "We need to get better quality gear, the stuff we have just doesn't cut it out."

"Don't worry, once we get to Greendale we're all getting 2 gold coins." Demai smiles as she brings a comb through her tail. "We should be able to afford some good gear with that and the money we've earned through the past two weeks."

Rein scratches his cheek. "I hope so."

A heavenly smell fills Paimon's nose and she floats over to the nearby window and looks out of it. She spots a tavern across the way and sees all the food. She presses herself against the window as she stares at the food.

She presses herself against the window as she stares at the food

"Paimon's hungry..." Paimon mutters and Nemuri sighs.

Albuis sets his shield and club against the wall and gives Paimon a questioning look.

"We just ate, though." Julian states.

"So, Paimon uses up a lot of mana during the day as she floats, and food replenishes that." Paimon informs.

"Then why don't you just walk?" Demai asks.

"On the dirty ground, hell no!"

Everyone deadpans.

"Where's Teina at?" Rein asks after a minute.

"On one of their nightly walks, I guess." Julian suggests.

Paimon notices a dark figure walking through the street and some moonlight shines down onto them, revealing it to be Teina. She looks around and spots no one nearby and heads into an alleyway.

"Paimon will be right back." Paimon floats over to the door and opens it.

"Um, Miss Paimon-" Julian calls out, but Paimon leaves the room. "You're still in your night attire..."

In a dark alleyway some moonlight shines down onto Teina and she takes off her hood. Revealing her short black hair, Amber eyes, tanned skin and small pointy ears.

Teina lets out a sigh as she runs a hand through her hair.

"Teina?" Paimon's voice rings out, causing Teina to panic and bring her hood up.

"What do you want, Miss Paimon." Teina turns to the Faerie floating into the alleyway.

"Why... Why do you hide yourself?"

"...I have to."

"Why?"

"Because... Because I hate my self."

Paimon grows confused. "Why, Paimon doesn't see how you can. You're a fairly nice person and you help us hunting when we ran out of food."

"Because I'm a half-dark Elf."

Paimon just grows more confused. "So?"

Teina grits her teeth. "Don't you see, A half-elf is one of the most hated Demi-human by most races, and a half-Dark Elf is even more hated! Demi-humans hate me because of my human side, humans hate me for my dark side. Elves hate me for my dark elf, and my own kind hates me for my human side!" Teina clenches her fists. "I'm not accepted anywhere, never have been, never will."

"But we accept you." Paimon points out. "The Vophate Dynasty will accept you."

Teina shakes her head. "I don't know... My last party threw me out and nearly killed me because of my race."

"Teina..." Paimon mutters in sadness.

"And you'll most likely never know what I feel. Everyone fears the Fae, even most Human Supremacist Countries do too, so they won't anger you. So, just leave me alone, Paimon."

Paimon holds a hand out. "Teina, trust Paimon when she says they won't be mad, they're worried about you. Trust us, like we trust you."

"...I won't risk it... I've already suffered enough." Teina walks off.

Paimon goes to follow, but she just stops and lowers her hand. She grows a look of sadness and floats back towards the Inn.

"Sorry for... annoying you." Paimon says in a quiet tone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Do leave some comments, they keep me motivated.)

02-22-2024

1700 words

29