Chapter 19 – Lost in the Forest
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun had dipped below the horizon, casting a warm golden glow over the virtual city, signaling the end of another day. Exhaustion weighed heavily on their shoulders, signaling it was time to retreat to the comfort of their apartment.

Among them were skilled individuals who had acquired homes, requiring diligent effort to maintain their virtual prowess. It was not ucommon for them to engage in 20 to 40 games a day, persevering through both triumphs and setbacks, accumulating a considerable fortune within the game.

At Daren's suggestion, they had attended three matches at the stadium: Cross Archer, Joker Bomb, and Hole in the Wall. These captivating games had enraptured their attention, leaving an indelible mark on their memories.

Daren led them to a captivating forest, a place of intrigue and excitement. One location was all they needed to give their best.

Leaving the city behind, Daren held onto the apartment keys, ensuring their safety and not relinquishing them during trivial distractions. Lingering for too long would be an agonizing experience.

The two girls obediently followed in Daren's footsteps, unaware of his mysterious invitation and its implications. Although they harbored doubts, their reservations remained unspoken, for now.

"Where are we heading? I'd like to freshen up tomorrow," Chinatsu voiced her concerns, hoping Daren would catch her words above the surrounding noise.

"I'm exhausted. Can you carry me, please?" Ravina whined, her legs growing weary by Daren's side.

Daren remained silent, his gaze fixed ahead, not explicitly acknowledging the two girls. Yet, he yearned to recapture their attention, to guide them towards improvement.

"We can take a shower after the next match. Then, I'll gladly carry you, my dear," Daren responded with a hint of playfulness, hinting at the circumstances under which he would fulfill his promise.

The two girls stood before Daren; their needs attended to yet their minds not entirely changed. It would take time for them to grasp their roles and responsibilities.

The city's atmosphere grew livelier as residents and players converged, with a ratio of approximately 1:100. The Skynet Company's NPCs, crafted with remarkable precision, mirrored human communication in the real world. To ensure a successful gaming journey, players needed to foster good relations with these virtual beings.

After walking just a few meters, an uneasy feeling settled upon the two girls. Daren's chosen forest emanated an eerie aura that sent shivers down their spines.

They proceeded cautiously, holding their breaths as they searched for an alternate route. They couldn't retrace their steps back to the city, for the foreboding forest loomed in their path.

"Are we still far away? Have we truly left the city behind?" Chinatsu turned her head, grappling with the fear that gripped her.

"I'm scared. It's so dark here," Ravina's body language contracted, her discomfort intensifying with each step they took.

Daren paid no heed to their apprehensions. Determined to level up, he pushed the two girls to work together as a team, earning valuable points along the way.

Pressing forward, Daren's legs carried him unwaveringly, refusing to succumb to defeat. Ever optimistic, he embraced the path before him.

Having stocked up on food from the shops, they dipped into their funds to acquire a single pack of fruit, ensuring they had ample provisions for their journey.

They had neglected to bring a bonfire and failed to pack blankets, overlooking the importance of careful preparation. Now, they found themselves in an unfavorable location, ill-equipped to combat the biting cold.

Their chosen path diverged greatly from that of other players, leaving them in a state of constant struggle.

The girls' strength waned significantly; their minds unprepared to endure a kilometer-long walk. Their destination still lay a considerable distance away, but they pushed forward, determined to arrive by morning.

"Daren, I'm famished! Can we rest here for a while?"

Once again, Daren paid no heed to the girls' complaints. Not everyone had the luxury of relying on their feet for transportation. Most players had grown accustomed to the convenience of public transportation, rendering them unaccustomed to prolonged walks.

Despite their hardships, they refrained from voicing their grievances. They recognized the need to shed their laziness, to hone their skills as professional players, and to escape the virtual world as swiftly as possible.

However, Ravina, driven by a burst of energy, quickened her pace in an attempt to catch up with Daren. Her petite frame strained as she expended every ounce of energy to reach him, seeking his attention.

Daren removed his small headphones and turned to Chinatsu, while Ravina clung to his right hand, seeking solace in his embrace.

"What's the matter with you two? You seem unwell."

Chinatsu and Ravina paused, mirroring Daren's momentary hesitation.

"Did we venture into the wrong place? It seems unsafe here."

Daren's focus sharpened as he removed his headphones, his attention no longer scattered by music.

Taking in his surroundings, Daren sensed something amiss. Observing the area, he felt an unease settle within him. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead as he scrutinized the environment.

"Oops! Sorry, guys! I didn't realize we had come to the wrong place. And... Oh, right. I forgot to check the correct route. We've gotten lost," Daren sheepishly admitted, a mixture of laughter and regret.

The leader's careless decision-making had led them astray, jeopardizing their plans. They should have been cozy and secure in their apartment by now.

"What?! So, we're lost?!" Both girls exclaimed, their realization of the grave error sinking in.

With the revelation of Daren's recklessness, the morale of the two girls plummeted. They saw no viable solution to extricate themselves from this predicament. The map feature was rendered useless, and valuable items needed to navigate and escape the forest had to be purchased.

"I want to go home! I don't want to be here. If wolves come after us, we'll have to start from scratch," Ravina cried out, trembling in fear, unaccustomed to the perils of the forest. They were ill-prepared for the eerie atmosphere that enveloped them.

In Alvarest Game, dying in the main realm, unlike in games such as Space Chosen and Jack Queen King, meant starting anew at level 0 upon revival. In other words, death equated to a complete reset.

Amidst their panic, they sought shelter beneath a towering tree, hoping to find solace and safety. Rest was necessary before they could continue their journey the following day.

0