Chapter 22 – The Unclear Adventurer
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the morning, amidst the dense forest, a distinct impression and atmosphere enveloped the surroundings, vastly different from the quiet and eerie ambiance that permeated the forest at night. 

The soft rays of sunlight filtered through the foliage, casting enchanting patterns on the forest floor, inviting the explorers to immerse themselves in the scenic beauty.

As they ventured deeper into the forest, they noticed a variety of wildlife, such as rabbits, birds, and deer, gracefully moving about their habitat. 

However, they remained cautious not to disturb the delicate balance of nature, aware that some fruits in the forest could be poisonous and pose a threat to their journey.

Recognizing the importance of nourishment for their physical endurance, they understood the significance of patience in overcoming the challenges faced by their team. 

They were well aware that an empty stomach could hinder their activities, but they remained resilient, determined to tackle any obstacles that lay ahead.

Daren, unlike the others, had the advantage of having his food meticulously planned out in the Alvarest Game Guidebook. 

This unique feature allowed him to showcase his in-game abilities as they progressed further in their adventure.

Their strength extended beyond mere physicality, as their minds remained unburdened by negativity. 

This mental fortitude allowed them to focus solely on their journey and the tasks at hand, undeterred by any potential distractions.

The issue of finding suitable restroom facilities during their trip was resolved through their mutual respect for personal boundaries, fostering a sense of camaraderie within the team and ensuring smooth progress.

For Daren, the idea of walking 10-20 kilometers seemed like a routine task, as he seldom dwelled on the indulgence of delicious yet unhealthy food. He understood the long-term consequences of such indulgence and prioritized the overall well-being of his body.

However, within the depths of the forest, an unknown figure lurked, concealed among the towering tree trunks. 

This mysterious observer closely monitored the trio's journey, witnessing their continuous growth and their efforts to challenge more skilled players, armed with their strategic preparations.

In a secluded location, the figure activated a virtual screen for covert communication, ensuring their identities remained undisclosed due to the geographical distance that separated them. This precautionary measure aimed to avoid any potential misunderstandings.

"Are you ready?" the figure inquired.

With an unexpectedly cold expression, the recipient of the message responded, "Already. I will lead them astray and ensure their separation, allowing us to execute our plan seamlessly this time."

"Excellent! Make certain they become disoriented, and we shall proceed with our plan accordingly," replied the figure, their attention still fixated on the unfolding events.

The conversation concluded succinctly, with their voices evading detection from those who held positive intentions.

The figure produced several balls, which would be strategically launched across various terrains within the forest, orchestrating the trio's disorientation. 

A sinister smile etched across their face, the veins on their arms bulging as they tightly gripped the spheres, ready to set their plan into motion.

"Now, it's time for action!"

[***]

Daren and the two girls remained steadfast in their chosen path, unlike the majority of players who traversed the well-trodden highway. 

Amidst the forest, they maintained an unwavering optimism, reassured by the absence of imminent danger within the protective embrace of the clustered trees.

Unperturbed by the direction they were heading, they believed they would reach their destination at the opportune moment. 

Their focus centered on comprehending the challenges that awaited them, oblivious to the passage of time and the energy expended during their arduous journey.

Ravina turned to Daren, contemplating whether it was time for them to depart from the forest and rejoin the bustling realm of fellow players.

"Daren, are we there yet? I want to return to our destination quickly," Ravina's sweet voice chimed in, prompting Daren to turn his head and lock eyes with the young girl.

"Just a moment. Let me check," Daren replied, opening the virtual screen to examine the map they were following. However, as he studied it intently, beads of sweat formed on his forehead, and his eyes betrayed a sense of unease.

Reluctantly, Daren relayed the information with a heavy sigh, careful not to incite the panic that had engulfed them the previous day. "I have some bad news. We seem to be lost again. The map has turned green, and it's unclear which way to go."

The revelation struck a momentary blow to their hopes. The prospect of returning to their desired destination was thwarted by an unexpected technical glitch.

"What?! We can't find our way out of this forest? Ugh! I don't want to stay here any longer," Chinatsu exclaimed, closing her eyes and shielding her forehead from the scorching sun with her right hand.

"You're right. The thought of being trapped in this forest is akin to living like a wild animal," Ravina added, clutching onto the hem of Daren's shirt, unwilling to let go, as the looming threats of the forest continued to haunt her.

Daren took a deep breath, gently massaging his forehead to steady himself. Panic was not an option. He needed to make a new decision, a calculated choice that would allow them to escape the ominous clutches of their current environment.

No buildings or huts met their gaze, only a dense collection of trees and a myriad of creatures going about their lives.

Daren took the lead, determined to prevent the two girls from succumbing to despair and making rash decisions that would prolong their predicament. They couldn't remain stagnant in the forest without any progress.

The thought of pressing the emergency button to extricate themselves from the situation crossed their minds, but it required reaching at least Level 10, a feat that would cost them 56 Alveni.

"Alright, we need to calm down and refrain from moving impulsively due to sudden panic," Daren urged, trying to regain control of the situation.

"Let's think rationally and find a way out of this forest as soon as possible."

However, their words fell on deaf ears as panic escalated, with the two women continuing to scream and cry.

"We're trapped! The apocalypse has befallen us!" Chinatsu lamented, unable to contain her fear and frustration, collapsing to the ground in tears.

"Mama!" Ravina called out, desperately yearning for the presence of a loved one from her childhood.

Daren felt overwhelmed, grappling with the challenge of managing both team members in such a state. There was still much to learn from the mistakes they had made, especially in times of crisis.

"Alright, I'll be here with you once you've had a chance to let it all out," Daren reassured, resigned to the gloomy despair that had settled upon them.

He knew he had to devise a plan before the situation deteriorated any further.

0