Chapter 14: A Master of Disguise heads to a party
4.9k 4 104
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nicholas was pacing in his room with worry and fear for his friend. Frankie, his close friend for years, had yet to meet him. It had already been a few day’s since Nicholas last saw him last, and he had no word from him.

Frankie had said he was onto a big score that would lead to a lot of gold for his pocket. Frowning Nicholas took a seat at his dresser, and took a look at himself in the mirror. Taking a moment to make sure he had gotten all of the stubble off, he started pulling what he needed for his plan for tonight from the drawers.

Frankie had told him about the job he was hired for, he had been hired to take a statuette from a run down temple.  The temple was one of those abandoned ones to too lost gods, that were scattered about.

Long abandoned, Frankie even said it wasn't even technically stealing, as no one owned it, and the god was long gone. Still Nicholas knew that messing around with anything related to the gods was a bad Idea, and warned Frankie it seemed like a very bad Idea.

His friend had laughed off Nicholas fears, and went on his way. That was the last time he saw his friend. Checking Frankie's flat, it didn't look as if his friend had returned since a few days. Using his connection to the Thieves Guild, Nicholas tracked down who had given Frankie the job. 

A noble called Mark Writhing had offered the job to Frankie. This was not the news Nicholas had wanted to hear, as this Mark was the supporter of the crime lord Malv. Malv was one you did not want to work with as he was notorious for double crossing.

Nicholas found the whole job strange, and doubted that he would dare doublecross the Thieves Guild. Even if Frankie was only a partly-affiliated member of the Thieves guild, Nicholas could not see the Noble willing to start a war with the Guild by killing Frankie for so little gold. Frankie must have found something out and was caught up in whatever the damn noble was up to.

Pulling out the paper Frankie had given him, Nicholas took another look at the strange Statuette that Frankie was sent to get. The sketch was of a beautiful woman emerging from the shell of a man’s skin. It certainly drew the eye, and Nicholas felt a strange sense of connection between him and the statuette.

Putting down the paper, Nicholas took another look at himself in the mirror. Mark Writhing was having a soiree tonight, in celebration of some event. Nicholas himself could never have gotten himself an invitation. However that was not the case for his Alter Ego who was the talk of the town.

Opening the box of makeup, he began to apply it with the special techniques he had acquired over the years. With his already androgynous features, it was very easy to make himself look far more feminine. Soon Nicholas was gone from the mirror, replaced With Nicole, a young debutante new to the city.

Finished with applying makeup to her face, Nicole attached a choker she had gotten from the mage quarters that changed her voice. Opening the dresser she pulled out the special corset and slipped it on.

It was awkward to do it by herself, but she managed and in the mirror, she was now sporting a small pair of breasts that would provide a bit of curve to her body. Nicole then hid several knives over her body. Then began the arduous task of getting into her evening dress.

After getting it settled over her, Nicole checked herself one last time in the mirror to make sure everything was set. Satisfied that everything looked natural she headed downstairs and took the back exit. 

Opening the door Nicole found the carriage she had hired earlier. The coachmen greeted her and helped her up into the carriage. "To the Writhing Estate," Nicole said and sat back in her seat.

Nicole was a bit nervous, she had never appeared in front of so many people. Taking a deep breath, she focused on what she had to do. She was going to search the house during the party, looking for the statuette. If she found it, she would question Mark and if she didn’t like what she heard, well she would deal with that then.

As the carriage was rolling down the streets, with night having fallen, Nicole was expecting less people out and about. Yet she was surprised at how many seemed to be out and seemingly wandering. The carriage had to stop several times to allow people to cross the street.

Getting closer to the Nobles district, Nicole pulled out the pass she got from earlier in the day, out of her purse. She had gotten it from one of the woman nobles she had been friendly with. As she was putting aside her purse a bright blue window popped in front of her.

Hello! I'm Jack (a System) This is an emergency invitation!! Mark Writhing the man who owns the estate you are headed to is part of a plan to summon an Ancient Evil God. This will surely cause the death of a great many people in the city, and I need your assistance to stop the ritual. I have sent others to stop, but they will need your help. The Statuette you seek is part of that ritual. In return for your assistance I will help you with your greatest wishes. Will you help Yes/No

Startled Nicole was about to cuss, when the carriage stopped. Looking down through her carriage door, she saw the guards of the Writhing estate speak for a moment with her coachmen. The guard nodded and took a look at her direction and waved them through the gate.

Taking a second to reanalyze the situation she now found herself in, Nicole grew frustrated. Having no desire to be entangled in the affairs of gods, she briefly thought about fleeing the city. Perhaps this Jack god was even lying to her. 

In her heart though she could feel it, things began to add up. If Mark was crazy enough to summon an Evil god, he wouldn't hesitate to start a war with the Guild. No doubt if Frankie had found even a hint of what they were going to do he would have been silenced.

When the carriage had made its way to the front door of the mansion, she had made her decision. She had set out to find what happened to Frankie, and that was what she would do, Evil God or not.

Frankie had been her first friend when she came to the city after fleeing Teras, and if someone killed him, she was going to make them pay. She accepted this strange gods offer. As the coach men opened her door and helped her down to the ground she heard a voice saying User Profile updating..... Updated.

Going up the short flight of stairs in front of the entrance she presented her invitation to the door man who took it and made a note in his book. He smiled and said "Welcome to the Estate of Writhing, The Baron hopes you will enjoy your time here Lady Nicole von Dracken" Nodding in return Nicole made her way through the door and into the entrance hall, when another window popped up.

User Name 

Nicholas/Nicole von Dracken

 

 

Race 

Human

 

 

Age 22

Level 1

HP 110/110

MP 140/140

Feats

Actor

Choose a Free Feat

Background

Disowned Noble

Class  

Choose a Class

 

 

Title

 

Exp 0/100

 

Attributes

Strength 10

Constitution 12

Dexterity 13

Intelligence 14

Wisdom 16

Charisma 14

 

 

Skills

Master of Disguise

Lv. 1 0/100

 

 

Basic Knife skills

Lv. 1 0/100

 

While she was taking a look over her status she reached the ballroom of the mansion. It was easily one of the biggest dancefloors she had ever seen, and a great many people were either chatting at the side or on the floor dancing. A small band was playing the latest dance music quite competently Nicole thought. A young lord saw her enter and made his way to her and invited her to dance.

Nicole smiled and accepted and while they danced and made small chat, she took the time to make some decisions about her status. Keeping an eye she took notice of the guards around the hall, it would be difficult to sneak away and into the main parts of the mansion. She took a look at the feat’s she had available, while ignoring the lord stepping on her feet. Picking out an Ideal one that would work for what she wanted to do, she chose it.

Way of Acceptance- You look as if you belong. Unless the person is actively looking, people will simply ignore your presence. This effect will disappear if you take a hostile action, do something that the person considers wrong, or if you act strange.

When the song ended she thanked the blushing lord for the dance and fetched herself a glass to drink. While sipping she quickly reviewed the options she had for classes. As rogue fit her quite nicely she chose it without hesitation. A new window popped up.

Congratulations Nicole von Dracken on becoming the First Rogue of the system. You have gained the title HiddenBlade +3 Wisdom, + 2 Dexterity. As a new rogue you gain Access to the system store, and have gained the skill Lockpick.

After finishing her choices, she was looking for an opportunity to sneak out of the party. As she passed by a group of women, she recognized one as a noble woman she had met a few days ago at a small tea party. Trying to recall what her name was Nicole approached with a smile. Finally recalling that her name was Karen, she was about to greet her when Nicole was struck by the appearance of the woman next to Karen.

The woman's skin was so white, it was as if she was made out of snow. She stood at Nicole's height and had jet black hair down to her waist. Her red lips sat on the sea of white that was her skin. Her eyes seemed to pierce right through Nicole. Fear crept down Nicole's spine as she felt that this woman was incredibly dangerous.

Karen said "Hello Lady Nicole, it's so nice to see you again. Have you had a chance to meet Elizabeth Writhing? She's the Baron's Daughter."

Elizabeth smiled and said "Hello, Lady Nicole, it's a pleasure to meet you"

Karen said "please excuse me ladies, I believe I see my husband about to make a faux pas." Karen quickly left and headed towards a group where a man looked like he was attempting to climb on top of a table.

Nicole turned back to Elizabeth and said "I don't believe I've seen you about town?"

"No, I'm afraid I don't get out of my house that much. My social life relies mostly on the party's my father throws. Speaking of which, I haven't seen you before." Elizabeth said tracing the rim of the glass she was holding.

Nicole answered "I just arrived recently. My father has sent me to seek out potential business partners. He sees a potential for expanding his business."

Elizabeth chuckled and said "More likely he hopes for you to gain a fiance that would support his business prospects."

Nicole nodded and said "Well I would not put that past my father, but that is not what I want."

Elizabeth's eyes seemed to glow for a moment, and she said "What is exactly what you want?" The voice resounded through the air.

Startled Nicole felt her thoughts seemed to slow "I want to live as I want, and see those who would harm my friends taken down."

Smiling Elizabeth said "Very Interesting, I hope you achieve what you want." Elizabeth winked and walked away, leaving Nicole sweating.

A system message warned she had just been subject to a mental compulsion. She looked at Elizabeth's back as she walked away and a screen popped up informing her of gaining a skill called Examination. But it was the second screen that caught her attention.

Name  

Elizabeth Writhing

 

 

 

 

Race

Ancient Vampire Lord

Level

?

Difficulty

?

 

HP 550/550

Mp 750/750

 

 

 

Fear settled over Nicole and she decided it would be a good idea to quickly get this done before she met her end.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

104