Chapter 25: An Avatar trains a Paladin
3.7k 4 93
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gesturing at the crocodile, Jack said "Alright let me teach you a way to get a very useful skill. Take a look at this crocodile, and really examine it."

Veronica stared at the crocodile for a moment and said "My Lord, I have acquired the examination skill."

"This skill is very important, when you upgrade it, it will allow you to see potential skills your enemies can use against you. However beings with strong corruption, or high leveled enemies will be harder to see any info on. Alright next, start hitting the beast with your sword." Jack said.

"Very well, My Lord." She took her short sword and began to hack at the beast. The crocodile's tough skin made her blade mostly bounce back as she hit. "I'm afraid I'm not doing much damage to it, My Lord."

"That is fine, I'm having you train your sword skills at the moment."

Nodding Veronica continued to hack at the beast. As she swung her sword, she slowly started to get better. "My Lord, I have a question." She asked, slightly out of breath.

"What is it, Veronica?" Jack said.

"You say you are not a god, yet the power you wield certainly qualifies you as one. What makes a system not a god?" Veronica said.

Jack thought for a moment and said "Imagine walking down a path and finding it split into two. Down one of these paths you can see a large bear that would surely kill you. Down the other path is a giant wolf that could easily rip out your throat. You would say that both of these are dangerous beasts right?"

"Yes, My Lord." Veronica said.

"Yet they are not the same type of beast. To mortals, I and gods are equivalent powerful, yet that is the surface appearance. Gods are formed from, and use Divine Energy. I myself am formed of a different energy that is classed as System Energy."

Veronica was silent for a moment and continued swinging her sword, when she asked, "I've heard it is possible for a person to become a god. It's rumored the King of the southern wildlands accomplished it. Is the same thing possible for a person to become a system?"

Thinking deeply for a moment Jack said "A person can become a god by completely reforging their soul and body from Divine Energy. Yet that same thing is not possible for System Energy. If a person were to do that, they would become something else besides a system. To become a system, needs something else. I'm not sure, I will have to get stronger in order to understand what."

"Thank you My Lord for answering my questions." Veronica said and continued her training.

After striking at the beast for at least a hundred times, her short sword suddenly broke against it's scales. "That should do it for training with your sword. When we head to Taras, I'll pick you up a new blade" Jack said then examined her potential skills for anything she could pick real easily at the moment. As the beast's hide was too thick most of the easier ones would just hurt her.

Seeing a ideal one Jack said "Okay this is the last skill training for the day, sit astride on the beast." Veronica sat as instructed. Taking care to keep hold of the crocs head, Jack woke the beast. At once it stirred and tried to escape his grasp. "Keep a hold on it Veronica." Jack began to tug on the beast snout forcing it to walk.

Sitting uncomfortably on the giant walking crocodile Veronica said "My Lord, I just got the basic riding skill."

"Good, we don't have forever, so we'll only level it up to level two today. Now keep ahold of the beast." Jack said and started to pull faster. Jack broke into a light jog around the temple, dragging a now terrified crocodile with a terrified woman clinging to it's back. Twenty minutes later, she managed to reach level two in riding.

Setting the passed out crocodile down, Veronica got off it's back wobbly standing. "My Lord, thank you for the help, perhaps in the future, I should train that particular skill by myself to save you time."

"It was no issue for me. Now, it's time for you to gain some levels. For right now my Users can only gain experience from killing monsters that have no soul. Any being that has a soul does not count, except those who have corrupted souls. The corruption however must be complete. Now take your broken sword and kill this beast by jabbing it in the eye."

Veronica took the jagged end of her blade and swiftly jabbed it into the beasts eye. The crocodile battered from the abuse Jack gave it, died and Veronica felt a tidal wave of energy engulf her. Gaining several levels at once brought her to a screaming orgasm, and left Veronica muttering "Oh god, Oh god" as she trembled under the intense pleasure.

Her eyes starting to focus again as the feelings passed, she struggled to her feet. "Thank you My Lord, for your generosity knows no bounds." Veronica said.

"No Problem, I also enjoyed that as well." Jack said. While the pleasure was dulled from him being in the Avatar, he could still feel the orgasms coming off her. He considered briefly finding higher level monsters for her to kill, to get more of that sensation, but decided it would be too time consuming, and wasteful.

Picking up the body of the crocodile he put it into his inventory. "I'll save this body for later, once I get you some tools, you can learn some more skills off it's corpse." Pulling up his map, Jack estimated the distance to Taras, and judged the direction. "Later on you can assign your skill points and attributes, for now, I'm going to take you to Taras."

"My Lord, Taras is at least a three day ride on horseback. Will you teleport us there?" Veronica asked.

"No, while ascending and descending in my Avatar isn't too noticeable, ripping apart the fabric of space is. I would rather not draw the attention of those more powerful. Besides, there is a completely easy way to get there." Jack picked up Veronica in both hands, she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I'll just jump there."

Veronica said "What?"

Putting power into his legs, Jack launched himself up into the air. Veronica's grip tightened, and she was opening her mouth in a terrified way, but the wind took whatever she was saying. Passing through the fine mist of a cloud they began to slow. Veronica took a look down and this time actually fainted.

As they fell, Jack looked for a decent spot to land, and found an overgrown farm land. It was not too far from the city walls, and was hidden from view. Making sure they were as noticeable as possible he dropped from the sky and hit the ground with a loud thump.

Jack set Veronica down and awoke her. She sat up and let out a squeak, then calmed down once she realized they were back on the ground. Composing herself, she stood and said "Forgive me My Lord, my courage faltered. Please punish me as you see fit."

"It's alright Veronica, I did not realize it would be so tough on you. Maybe next time you should wear a blindfold." Jack said.

Veronica's face turned pale and said "Next Time?"

"Of course, after we get some monsters, we'll need to return to the temple. Come along now, we are in a field near a road that leads to Taras. You'll be acting as my guide here. I want to collect some food, and get a place to rest in the city."

Nodding shakily Veronica and Jack reached the road and began to go towards the city. As they walked several carts and carriages passed in both directions. As they passed they nodded at them, and seemed to briefly stare at Jack for a moment before continuing.

A well made carriage slowed as it passed them heading towards the city. Jack thought they were going to stop, he could see the curtain of the window pull back for a second and he saw a young man within. The carriage continued on however.

As they approached the city, Jack took note of the Imposing wall that surrounded the city. Standing at forty feet high, it was made out of a strange pearl colored brick. He could feel mana being collected within the bricks, apparently reinforcing it.

Veronica said "I've heard only the capitals walls are superior to Taras" when she saw Jack looking at the walls.

"Perhaps." Jack said.

A long line was waiting to get into the city in front of the gate. Veronica guided him to the back of it. Jack saw there were two other much shorter lines. Turning to Veronica he asked "What are those lines?"

"The middle one is for Nobles only, the other one is for citizens of the city. The citizens have a pass, so they don't have to pay the entrance tax." Veronica said.

Waiting for half an hour, Jack finally reached the entrance of the gate. A guard standing in front a pedestal, said "Reason for entering?"

Veronica said "Business, and rest."

"Are you carrying any contraband?" The Guard said.

"No" Veronica said.

"Do you have any spatial bags or the like?" The Guard asked.

Veronica said "Yes, I have a skill granted to me by my god, that allows me to store items."

The Guard narrowed his eyes and said "Not sure how to check that one, I'll just make a note of it. Which god?"

"Jack." Veronica replied.

"Must be a minor god. Alright you are all set for now. That will be one Big copper for the entrance, and a small gold coin for the spatial skill." The guard said.

Pulling out the coins, Jack paid the guard. The guard took a look at him and nodded. "Very well sir. Please have a good stay in the city of Taras." Jack walked forward after the guard waved for the next person in line.

Jack asked her "They charge for spatial bags?"

Nodding Veronica said "Yeah, it's to keep people from hiding from tariff prices."

"That is a concern then, most of my Users would not be able to afford a gold coin." Jack said "Could you have lied?"

Veronica shook her head. "Not unless you want to never use the bag or skill within the city. To many eyes in the city, you can get a reward if you catch someone hiding a bag."

"Who should I talk to, to see if I can get the price for my users to go down?" Jack said.

"As I see it, two possible choices, you could appeal to the city council or speak to the coalition of deities in the holy district." Veronica said.

"Okay, I'll keep that in mind."

"Now the best place to get food in the city is from the market." Veronica said and began to guide him through a winding maze of buildings. Some of the buildings were obviously built on top of other buildings. Strange archways and paths off the road that led nowhere were common sight as they went.

While they were walking, Jack noticed that people seemed to avoid him. If he caught their eye, they would do a very small bow and continue on. Turning to Veronica he asked "What is going on?"

Veronica said "From your clothes to your 'aura', you appear as a noble. For a commoner, it is best to avoid contact with a noble, especially an unfamiliar one." Getting closer to him she whispered "Of course My Lord, if they knew what you really were, they would be getting on their knees."

Tempted to flick the grinning woman, he followed her. As he went Jack took note of the smell of the city. So many scents seemed to be flowing within the streets, it felt as if the city was alive from the very air. It tickled a memory, he had walked in another city once. He couldn't see it, but the smell reminded him of something. A little confused by it, Jack reached the entrance to the Market.

"All right My Lord here we are, the biggest market in the region, the Alarkan Market. If it exists, it probably was traded here at one point." Veronica said.

Nodding Jack said "First I want to get some food, I also want to check for things that I can use as rewards for quests. Oh yeah, we also need to get you a new sword. Come along." Jack said and headed into the market.

93