Chapter 118: A Paladin Climbs, then steps into trouble.
552 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Spoiler

User Name

Veronica

 

 

 

Race

Human

Bloodline

Spirit Sensitive

 

Age 26

Level 15

HP 300/300

MP 160/160

 

Feats

Zealous Follower

Order of the System

Steadfast Shield

Background

Obsessive Tendencies/Half-Awakened

 

Class

Paladin (Deity Jack) LV. 15

Sub Class

Oath of the System

 

Title

System Defender

Exp 25/100

 

 

Attributes

Strength 30

Constitution 30

Dexterity 18

Intelligence 16

Wisdom 22

Charisma 16

Luck 11

 

 

 

Skills

Basic Praying

LV.8 50/100

Basic Sword Fighting

LV. 12 85/100

 

Turn Unsystem

LV.5 25/100

Examination

LV.4 10/100

 

Monster Capture

Lv.5 5/100

Oral Techniques

LV.4 30/100

 

Shield of the System

LV. 6 60/100

Warning of the Spirits

LV. 1 -/-

 

[collapse]

Opening the back exit to the shack, Veronica went into the small back area that was next to the wooden wall. She took a look at the hole that was cut out, and said "You know when we found this hole, we speculated that the killer was using it to look at who came and went through the city entrance. Perhaps using this place as a hideyhole incase they got caught."

"That doesn't make sense though after we found that tunnel. Such a hole would only draw attention to this place. There must be some other reason why they made this hole." Falaen said.

Leaning down she put her eye to the hole and looked through it. Veronica could see the guard checkpoint, though the hole seemed to be tilted up. "The killer was only seen in this area at night. But if they were going to be watching the guard checkpoint at night, it would only be lit dimly by manaights. In fact there would be no way to see who was coming and going through the checkpoint at night."

"Then instead of people, they must have been looking for something else." Falaen replied.

"Let's go take a closer look at the entrance. Maybe we can find what they were looking for." Veronica said. She backed up and took a short run and jumped the tall wall, and grasped the top of the wall with her hands. She carefully hefted herself over the wall and landed on the street on the other side of the wall. Falaen came following soon after, and Veronica helped her down.

Walking up to the entrance checkpoint, she began to look it over for anything suspicious. While she was looking it over, a guard from the checkpoint walked over and said "What are the two of you doing just standing in front of the checkpoint. If you want to go through, pay the entrance fee or go away. Just don't stand there."

Pulling out her guild card, she said "We are currently investigating the murders of the woman that have been taking place. We believe the killer may have taken an interest in this guard checkpoint, would it be alright if we take a look around it?"

The guard took a look at the guild card and then shrugged. "Go ahead, just don't get in our way, or in the way of traffic."

Veronica nodded, and the guard walked back to his post. With the sun inching closer to the horizon, the amount of traffic the street saw was minimal. So she was able to practically stand in the middle of the road to take a good look at the entrance in the main part of the city. The gate was formed out of the same material as the walls that caught light and reflected it. 

While she was looking at the gate, she suddenly noticed that there was a spirit of a woman climbing the gate. She watched as the spirit approached the top where she suddenly shrieked in silence and fled. Curious she took a better look at the top and saw at the top of the gate, there was a large gap, where something could be seen hiding within.

It looked like a piece of the outer stone work had been removed to create that gap. "Look Falaen, it looks like something is in that gap."

Falaen looked up and then asked "How are we going to get up there?"

"I'll climb up."

She went to the guard and said "I see something at the top of the gate, is it alright if I climb the wall?"

The guard looked at her like she was crazy. "As long as you don't try to pass over the wall, go ahead."

She walked up to the wall beside the gate and ran her hand along it. The wall while being rather smooth had several places to grip on. Taking care she began to climb up the stone wall carefully. As she climbed she heard the guard exclaim in surprise.

As she climbed up, the stone wall provided less handholds. Eventually she had to practically stretch her arms and legs for each new handhold.  Veronica was spreading her body tight against the wall making sure she had the grip to keep going. Finally after some tense moments she reached the top of the doorway. Glancing down she saw that she was now at least thirty feet off the ground.

Veronica carefully made her way to the middle of the gate. When she did so she was nearly startled when a ghostly face of a woman emerged from the stones in front of her and hissed silently glaring at Veronica. Taking a moment to settle her nerves she moved past the spirit and reached the hole and took a look inside.

Deep within she could make out a dull crystal of some sort that seemed to be set into the stone wall. It was nearly three feet inside the hole. Stretching her arm into the hole, she just barely could touch the crystal. Yanking on it, she found it would not move. 

The moment she touched it, it left off a soft bluish glow, then an intense sick red glow began to pour out of the crystal. She had to let go as the crystal seared to the touch. After she let go of it, it returned to it's colorless state. Frowning she was about to leave when she noticed that there were numerous ghosts floating around her. 

They were all ghosts of women it looked like, and one floated next to her and pointed at something in the crack of the wall. Veronica reached into the crack and pulled out what looked like a button from a piece of clothing. Putting it away, she saw the ghosts had vanished for the moment.

With her arms starting to burn she began to climb back down. She eventually made it back to the ground safely and when she stepped back onto the ground the guard came up to her. "Damn that was crazy. I didn't think anyone could climb the wall. The last person I saw only made it up five feet before they fell off."

"I'm not the only person to have done so. I believe the killer had gone up there as well. If I'm right, the killer would have likely climbed it at night. Would you know anything about that?" Veronica asked him.

The guard shook his head, "No, I've never worked the night shift. You are in luck though, Steve the night guy has arrived early. I'll go get him for you." The guard went back and another guard came walking up carrying a cup.

This was presumably Steve. He took a drink from the steaming cup and said "You want to ask about the nighttime shift?"

"Yeah, I believe the killer had climbed up there. Have you heard anyone do so?" Veronica asked.

Steve paused and then said "I never saw anyone climb up, but a few weeks back in the middle of the night I heard a loud grinding sound. I went out to take a look and I could have sworn I saw something floating above the gate. I looked away to get my partners attention and when I looked back it was gone. It was too dark for me to have made anything out, so I assumed I was just seeing things."

"Thank you for telling us this." Veronica said, and Steve returned to his post.

Falaen came up to her and said "I have to say I'm impressed that you were able to climb like that. Was that a skill you purchased from Jack?"

"No, it was actually part of my training that I received as an awakened. I had to climb a sheer cliff side several times. My master wasn't satisfied until I could climb it in the middle of a winter storm."

Falaen looked at her and said "That sounds insane and dangerous. Why would they put you through that?"

"My master said I needed to be ready to face the trials of the awakened. One needed to be ready for anything."

"What did you find up there?" Falaen asked.

"There was a weird crystal in the wall that looked like it had been placed there long ago. It was set deep within the wall, It looked like it had been covered by this new layer of stone. I grabbed onto it, and got a brief tingle before it started to glow red and it nearly scorched my hand."

"You said it glows? Do you think that's what the killer is looking for?"

Veronica considered it and then nodded "I think it's a possibility, but if that's the case surely someone would have seen it glow as well. But for what reason does the crystal glow?"

"Maybe it denotes a time when one of those spatial tunnels is open?"

Veronica frowned and felt like she was missing something, it was just at the edge of her thoughts. Shaking her head, she pulled out the button she had found. "I also found this with the help of some spirits. It was stuck in the crack of the stones. It's a button that looked like it had been caught in the crack."

Taking the button from her Falaen took a look at it. "Hmm, this button is made out of Ivory. It's fine quality, a few scratches most likely from the stones. There is an image of a woman carved into it. If I'm not mistaken this was attached to a coat made by Victoria clothes. They are fairly expensive and have a few shops around the continent. They only sell to nobles, if this came from the killer, they most likely are a noble or had access to clothing of one."

Veronica said "unfortunately that doesn't really narrow it down. How many nobles are in this city alone?"

"It is notable as there is no Victoria store in this city." Falaen said. "I think we have accomplished all that we can do here for now. We should go meet my contact in the Empire Delegates."

After passing through the gate, they took a carriage to where the Empire Delegates were currently staying. It was no secret as the Empire persons were making no secret of it. They had taken lodging in an inn near the airfield where their airship was parked. The more important delegates were staying in the castle, but the person Falaen wanted to meet was actually likely to be in this inn.

"You sure she would be here and not in the castle?"

"Yeah, she is great with writing up contracts and treaties, but she is a poor people person. She hates dealing with politicians as well so she prefers to stay as far as she can from them."

After they entered the inn, Falaen said to Veronica "Distract the receptionist, I need to find where she is staying."

"Why not ask them?"

"Because this meeting needs to remain a secret." 

Veronica nodded and then walked up to the receptionist and put on a ditzy voice "Excuse me, do you think you could help me? I seem to have gotten lost, do you think you could point me the way to Decartes Restaurant?"

While she was talking with the receptionist who tried valiantly to help Veronica, Falaen snuck behind the counter and glanced through the log book of the lodge. When she saw Falaen signal her that she had found what she needed, she said to the receptionist "Thank you so much for the help. I have to go and meet my friends. Bye bye."

She quickly left the lobby and snuck into the stairs where Falaen was waiting for her. They made their way to the third floor. Falaen said "Most of the delegates would simply report me back to my father. There is only one I trust not to do that. Just be aware that things between us are not okay."

"Why?"

"The curse that was in my blood made me take advantage of her and her husband several times. Unfortunately one of those times accidently resulted in the man's death, and she hates me."

"And you think she won't sell you out to your father?"

"My father was the one who killed her husband."

They reached the door and Falaen knocked on the door. Several moments later a short girl wearing oversized spectacles answered. "Yes? Any reason your bothering me when I'm in the middle of important work?"

"Hello Grace, it's good to see you again."

Grace looked startled briefly then took a closer look at Falaen. "You surprised me Falaen. I didn't recognize you at all with your new hair color. The others in the delegates were fearing that you were dead. However I know that like a cockroach you always pop back up."

"Grace, do you think we can come in?"

The girl grimaced and let the two of them in. "If you came here looking to fuck, get it over with. I have things I need to do." Grace sighed and began to unbutton her top.

"No Grace I have not come for that. Honestly I am here in secret, I need you to not tell anyone here you saw me."

Stopping Grace looked at Falaen weirdly and then said "Whatever. I have no interest in any game you are playing. What do you want?" She went to a table with stacks of papers on it and pulled one down and began to write on it.

Falaen scratched her head and then said "Grace, I know I treated you awfully. I must apologize for my actions towards you and for what happened to your husband."

Pausing writing Grace glared at Falaen and said "I would not have thought that you would have ever apologized to me. It is sickenly disgusting to hear from your lips. What has brought this change from you?"

"I was changed on my trip. In fact I am almost an entirely new person. The curse no longer controls my actions. I have things I need to do here, so I won't be returning to the Empire anytime soon."

Grace scoffed and said "You think the Emperor will allow you to do so? Then you have changed into a fool."

"The Emperor no longer can control what choices I make. I make my own path now, one that will seek redemption for the things I have done and repair the damage he has wrought."

Grace let out a chuckle and said "So the little princess wants to step from her father's shadow?"

"More than stepping, I have decided to remove his shadow from the world. He is a plague of misfortune that can no longer be left to fester in this world."

"You know even if you are his daughter he would kill you for saying that."

"Yes, and he would kill you if you ever repeated it."

The Bookish girl snorted and then said "So what brings you here besides informing me you are plotting to overthrow your father?"

"I want to delay this kingdom from becoming a vassal nation to the Empire. I have heard that the Empire is pushing this kingdom to all a marriage between my brother Thaenar and a Mianda Evercral. This marriage must not happen, as the girl is only eleven, nearly twelve. Way to young to be married. If we push off the marriage we can delay the vassalation.

Grace shook her head "Not possible. In fact your brother is the one pushing for the marriage. He is making it mandatory and wants us to bring her back to the empire soon."

"What? That doesn't sound like what I know of Theanar."

"We received a communication from Theanar that we needed to put it in the list of demands that were non negotiable."

"So there is no way of pushing it back?" Falaen asked.

"No, your father placed Theanar in charge of the mission for Vassalatialization. Your brother has been adamant in this condition. In less then two weeks we will be taking her back to the empire."

Veronic frowned and said "Why do you think your brother is wanting to marry Mianda?" 

Falaen shook her head "I have no idea. As far as I know, he has no interest in marriage. All that he cares about is his toys he likes to play with. Grace I know the Empire has a spy watching Mianda, I need to know where they are staying."

Looking carefully at Falaen Grace finally said "You really have changed." She pulled out an empty sheet of paper and scribbled out an address. "This is where the empire spy is supposed to be staying. You didn't hear this from me."

Falaen nodded and said "Thank you Grace. And once again I am sorry for what I did."

Grace frowned and then said "You didn't do anything that we didn't ask for Falaen. While you were a bit rough, we had fun. But we were playing with fire. Sam took one too many risks and got caught by the Emperor. While you weren't able to save my husband you were at least able to save me. I know the curse controlled you at times, but you were always a good person inside."

Falaen nodded and said "Farewell Grace."

"Take care Your Highness. I hope you accomplish what you are setting out to do."

While they were exiting, Veronica saw a ghost of a man wrap his arms around Grace and she saw him whisper the word sorry. With that they left her room and headed back down. As they were walking down the stairs she asked "What was the risk that this Sam took?"

"We had been having sex for a few months, but Sam wanted to start a family with Grace. He had taken a super fertility potion. Unfortunately my father had been keeping a close eye over me at that time. When he saw that Sam would be having sex risking me getting pregnant, he killed him. It is my fault partly. I was the one who convinced Sam to have sex with me that day."

They exited the inn and took a carriage to the building in which the Empire spy had been staying. It was only a block or so from the Evercral Mansion. The building stood at seven stories, and the Empire spy was staying in a suite on the sixth floor. 

Looking up, Veronica asked Falaen "How do you want to take care of this spy?"

Her face turned grim and then said "We need to kill them I'm afraid. I hate to kill a member of my country, but I see little choice. They are absolutely loyal to my father, and I cannot convince them to abandon their duty. If we try to lock them up, they will escape and send a message to my father."

"If they are that good, will they see us coming?"

"Most likely. Cast your shield spell. We need to be prepared for a fight."

Veronica did so and they slowly made their way up the stairs being careful to remain silent. The stairs wound up and they finally reached the sixth floor where they went to the door of the suite. Veronica nodded at Falaen and then withdrew her sword and leaned back and rammed into the door with her shield busting it off its hinges.

Rushing forward into the living room of the suite ready for the fight against the spy, she nearly slipped on bits of flesh and blood that coated the room. Gore was dried onto the walls and ceiling, and a rank stench of rotting flesh filled Veronica's nose. It made her gag while she was looking around the room. 

It literally looked as though someone exploded and coated the walls and furniture with viscera. Falaen came in behind her and said "What the hell happened here?"

"Looks like someone came here and killed them before we did."

Falaen said after a moment "I don't feel any magic here. I don't know how they accomplished this." She nudged a bit of flesh with her shoe and said "Yeah, that pin is from my empire. This is the remains of the spy. Carol was hunting for them as well. Could she have done this?"

Veronica looked around and then shook her head "No, I don't get the feeling that she was the one who did this. I know Carol is protective of Mianda, I just don't see her capable of this carnage. Just to be sure, I'll send a message asking her." 

After a few minutes Carol responded that she was happy to hear the empire spy was dead, but was not the one who had done it. "So someone else found the spy and killed them. By the look of this dried blood, it must have been last night sometime." Veronica said.

"Maybe it was the work of Adam Evercral. He has an interest in being able to save his daughter after all."

Falaen looked around the mess and said "Whoever did this was actually standing right here. You can see this by the splattering of the gore."

Looking where Falaen was pointing, she saw in the circle of gore there was an empty space where someone must have been standing. "Looks like they would have been covered by gore."

"If that's the case they would have to clean themselves off. Let's check the bathroom." They walked to the bathroom. In the bathroom, the tub was bloody indicating that the killer had washed themselves off. 

Falaen noticed some wet towels and moved them aside. Underneath them was a coat that was covered in gore. "Looks like the killer left the coat behind. Wait a minute, take a look at this Veronica."

Veronica did so and realized that the buttons on the coat were actually made out of Ivory. In the top of the coat was a missing spot for a button. "The killer did this?"

Falaen checked the coat pockets and didn't find anything in them and checked the interior. "Hmm looks like whoever owned this coat put their house symbol on the interior label. It's faded. I can't make it out."

"Let me take a look."  Veronica said and found it was too faded to make out. Something about it though seemed to tickle her memories. "We should show this to Carol. Maybe she can recognize it."

Falaen nodded and said "This is an old coat. Not something that was bought in the past ten years or so."

"Now why would they kill this spy?" 

"Maybe they saw the killer, and they had to kill him."

Just as they were about to leave, guards came rushing into the room. Veronica and Falaen quickly put their hands up and they were arrested and brought to a guard station.

Thank you for reading my story, I hope you have enjoyed this chapter.

9