Chapter 125: A Artificer meets with an unexpected acquaintance.
546 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Spoiler

User Name

Falean Montage

 

 

 

Race

Human (Soul-Modified)

Bloodline

Child of a Changed one

 

Age 23 (1)

Level 2

HP 140/140

MP 210/210

 

Feats

Adjustable Soul

Soul Diver

Background

Royal Princess / Experimental Soul

 

Class

Artificier

Sub Class

Locked

 

Title

Soul Maker

Exp 55/100

 

 

Attributes

Strength 12

Constitution 14

Dexterity 12

Intelligence 21

Wisdom 22

Charisma 12

Luck 12

 

 

 

Skills

Soulforge

LV. 1 95/100

Guide

LV. 1 45/100

 

Blueprint Designer

Lv.1 80/100

Astral Projection

LV.1 20/100

 

Examination

Lv. 1 20/100

 

 

[collapse]

 

Not for one second did Falaen like being inside this base. Like the previous time that she was in the base, there was a disgusting feeling around them. Though it seemed to be far more intense this time as they explored the base. It took her some time to identify this feeling, she eventually realized it had the same feeling as corruption. When she realized it, it placed her on edge especially when she passed the pipe that was dripping liquid. It reeked of corruption and sang to her of drinking it to become more powerful. Shuddering she pushed past it.

When they met the grotesque BM9, Falaen could tell it wasn't telling the whole truth. In spite of that it at least seemed to want them to help them get to Mianda so she went along with it. The tentacles coming out of the wall surprised her and caught onto her legs and dragged her through a door that just appeared. Before she could fight off the tentacles, they wrapped around her tightly dragging her along the floor.

Entangled in the mass of Tentacles she found they were dragging her towards what appeared to be a large open glass tank. With a grunt she managed to grab onto her wand and poured energy into it. That eventually caused it to send out a pulse of energy right into the side of the tentacles searing it. The tentacles let go of her quickly and fled into cracks into the wall. Taking a deep breath of relief Falaen stood.

Looking around the room that the tentacles had brought her too, she saw it was a surprisingly large room with several tanks within it. Most of the tanks were empty, including the one the tentacles had been dragging her towards. She noticed as she took the deep breath that the room had significantly less corruption then the rest of the facility. On the opposite side of the room, she spotted a door.

Heading towards that door, she passed a glowing tank. Glancing in Falaen stopped startled when she found that inside the tank was a woman she had met recently. Floating within the pinkish liquid was the reporter Juliet Herald. Several tubes that looked organic were attached to Juliet's orifices, and a slimy mixture was flowing through the tubes. Falaen examined Juliet, finding that she was still alive for the moment and was apparently in some form of stasis. Looking around the tank, she found a control panel that allowed her to begin to drain out the tank.

Pressing a few of the buttons, the tank began to drain out of the pink liquid. When it was nearly empty the organic tubes lowered Juliet down to the floor of the tank and pulled out of the reporter. After it had emptied Falaen opened the tank and went to Juliet pulling her out. As she pulled her out Juliet woke up and puked out some of the pink slime that had been in her throat.

It took some time for Juliet to catch her breath interrupted with some coughing to get more of the pink slime out but she eventually looked up bewildered and said "Soul Princess? What happened? Where am I?"

"You were in some sort of tank Juliet. This is an underground base underneath the city of Keston. What are you doing here Juliet?"

"Well I was going to meet a potential contact about the murders occurring in the city, I had just entered the building. But I don't recall what happened after that. Next thing I know you hauled me out of that." Juliet gestured towards the tank.

Assisting the confused reporter up on her shaking legs, Falaen said "I thought I had advised you not to meet with anyone who sent you letters about the murders."

Juliet stared at her in confusion and shook her head "What? No, you didn't tell me that. In fact I didn't see you again after you had managed to save me from those thugs that attacked me."

"What? I met with you and your mother yesterday. We had a conversation about you receiving the letter, and we posited that the killer was the one who wrote it." Falaen said.

Shaking her head Juliet said "No, after I finished meeting with the cops I went to the meeting place and that's the last thing I remember. It wasn't me that you met."

As Falaen was frowning in confusion, the door she had been walking towards previously opened. Several women wearing cloaks walked in, followed by one in more luxurious looking clothing. To Falaen's utter surprise each of these women were a spitting image of Juliet. The Juliet in the lead was even wearing the exact same clothes as the one she met with yesterday.

While she didn't sense hostility coming from these women, Falaen readied herself for battle just in case. "Who or what are you?"

The Juliet in front smiled and said "Do you not recognize me? We met just yesterday. So young, yet so forgetful." It chuckled at its joke then said in a more solemn tone "As I technically have all the memories of the original it is fair to say that I am also Juliet. But that is just this body. You are wondering about the mind within right?"

Frowning Falaen guessed and said "You are the Base Mind? BM9 mentioned you were planning on taking over Mianda's body, so I knew that you had a way of taking over a body. Yet I have to admit this is completely out of my expectations."

It nodded and said "You are correct in the fact that we are the base mind. To be exact I am BM1 and the other minds have taken on each of the other bodies we have prepared." She waved to the other copies of Juliet. Each of them while wearing similar clothing seemed to have some distinction to be able to tell them apart.

"As one would expect what BM9 told you was not the complete truth of course. While we had plans to take over bodies, under no circumstances did we ever consider taking over the Child's body. That would have defeated the mission we had set out to do. Besides which, we have no desire to share the same body. We are okay with sharing our mind, but we still prefer our own bodies. We suspect BM9 only told you to portray us in a more negative light."

The genuine Juliet shakenly said "What did you do to me? What are you?"

BM1 looked at Juliet and shrugged and said "BM9 was plotting to kill us. She has long forsaken the mission that was assigned to us. Corruption has deeply tainted her mind making her want to actually supplant the Great one as the ruler of the world. BM9 conducted research that would allow her to build herself a new body that would be able to handle the power of the Life Source we created."

"While we had limited control over the Sycophant, we were able to use her to send you the note to get you to come within our reach. We had identified you as a prime candidate that would meet all of our standards that we needed for a body. Once you were here we cloned your body to create these bodies. Unfortunately, we were in a rush and couldn't fully develop each of these bodies. Still we are satisfied with the final product." BM1 said.

"Life Source?" Falaen asked.

"A key part of Project Osiris is the crystals of the Great One we found. We were unable to copy the exact nature of the resonant power within them, so we replaced it with one that we could create. Which is Life Energy. While the process worked greatly and has produced a full-powered crystal, it was tainted by corruption through BM9's efforts. Thus, we had to plan ways to purify out the corruption during the last phase of Project Osiris."

"What do you want?" Falaen asked.

"We wanted to stop you, so we could finish the mission. But it seems like we were unable to do so so we are enacting our back up plans. Your companion, the one with the strange mental powers is currently in combat with the Sycophant. We estimate she wins at ninety percent based on the powers she has shown and the degradation of the Sycophant's combat ability due to the interface of BM9. Even in the case that your companion loses, we are certain BM9 will then launch an attack on our main brain storage. In all of these cases, we will fail the mission we cannot afford to fail."

"This Project Osiris is to create a replacement for the great one?"

"In a sense yes. Technically the replacement is more of just a weapon. We would have filled the child with life energy until she broke past the limits. At which point we would engage several seals onto her mind so we could control her. This was because we have evaluated the eventual downfall of the world as an almost certainty without the Great One or a replacement appearing. In the case of the seals, we determined the risk of the replacement becoming an even worse danger was too great thus the seals were needed to ensure the safety of the world."

"You still haven't said what you want." Falaen said.

"As we are going to fail this mission, we must seek another means of saving the world. We see it through you. To be exact, we are referring to the Sleeping one. We believe that with his help we will be able to protect the world. We ask that you take us to him as we can sense you have a connection to him."

Falean snorted and said "Sorry you are going to have a hard time convincing me. Especially since your 'sycophant' killed a bunch of women. From what I have witnessed of your capabilities, you likely could have stopped her if you wanted. I also don't like what you had planned to do to Mianda. I'm sure if you were able to complete the project you would have killed all life in the city like you previously did so in the past like you did with the Awakened."

"While we did not order the Sycophant to kill those women, you are correct we could have stopped her. BM9 was employing her to collect specimens for her plans. We chose not to interfere as we came to the conclusion that by using her research we were able to increase the likely success of the mission. As for the Awakened, we believe that to save the world that sacrificing a few lives is negligible."

Glaring at BM1 Falaen said "You are just attempting to justify the blood on your hands. You have no concept of what a sacrifice truly means. A sacrifice can only come from within, when you take it from others it's not a sacrifice." Falaen sighed and said "In my past, I perhaps would have agreed with your viewpoint. Perhaps it's Jacks or JP's influence; I see the horror of your idea and the folly."

BM1 looked at her in consideration and then nodded. "You are truly connected to the Sleeping One. We knew that should he ever awaken that he would despise us for what we have done. We do not ask for forgiveness, only understanding that we saw no alternative. We came up with multiple scenarios, but in all of them the world would eventually fall. Thus, we set out to complete Project Osiris."

"Despite your claims of wanting to save the world, this base reeks of corruption. While I don't smell it coming from your current bodies, it permeates this base." Falaen said.

BM1 nodded and said "When we gave up our bodies for the Base Mind Project we were unaware that BM9 was already corrupted. When we launched the first stage of Project Osiris to create the Life source, BM9 made a move to use the gathered life energy to bring forth more corruption into this world. Since then we are secured in a constant battle with BM9 over control of the base. We are able to stave off most of the corruption to our minds. Since we saw the potential of losing, we created these bodies a backup."

"So since you are losing, you want to escape with those bodies and meet up with Jack?" Falaen said.

"Yes, we see we will likely lose complete control of the base soon. Your friend has just defeated the Sycophant and..." BM1 winced and all the clones fell to their knees with grunts of pain. Blood spurted from their noses and several moments later the base began to shake.

Standing back up shakily, BM1 sasid "BM9 has made her move, she has killed our main body. Our minds have been splintered into these bodies. We must leave the city before she forms her new body. We wish to speak with the Sleeping one, since our project failed we can only rely on him to stop BM9 and save the world." BM1 waved and a door appeared in the center of the room.

"This door will take us outside the city to a building in the slums."

Falaen shook her head "I cannot leave without my companions. I will not abandon them." 

"You will likely die. While it will likely take time for BM9 to adjust to the power of the Life source she will still be comparable in strength to the seven archmages."

"Still I will do as I must." Falaen then looked down at Juliet and said "If you wish to speak to Jack, I can send him a message. As long as you keep this girl safe." 

"Fine. We agree to keep watch over the girl. If you must go to your companions, go through that door." BM1 said.

Falaen nodded, and before she gave Juliet to them gave her a small compact mirror. "Juliet, this is a device that I have been testing, all you need to do is say Soul power shield. When you do it will create a shield around you. Use it if you feel in danger."

Juliet nodded and Falaen glared at the Base mind clones and said "Keep her safe, it's the least you can do for what you have done to her."

BM1 nodded and the group helped Juliet through the first door. Turning towards the other door, Falaen sent a message to Jack. She waited a second but did not receive any response from him. Frustrated she stepped through the door and fell a few feet into a large tiled room.

She landed with a roll on the floor and saw what looked like an empty pool in front of her. Taking a quick look around she heard a commotion of fighting coming from behind her. Turning she saw a horrifically grotesque woman that appeared to be rotting currently fighting with a bloodied man.

Taking another look she realized the man that was covered in blood was actually Telvin. His leather armor was in tatters, and he had a furious look in his eyes and he traded blows with the fugly woman. Near the massive brawl was Riley who was standing stock still looking frozen in place. Beside her was a woman who lay moaning, she was missing an arm.

Falaen attempted to get closer to Riley to see what was wrong with the orc, when the rotting woman screeched "Stay away from my new body bitch!" Dashing around Telvin, she attempted to swipe at Falaen.

Dodging her blows, Falaen brought out her wand and jammed it in one of the open sores on the woman's chest and sent a blast of power into her body sending her flying backwards into an adjacent tiled wall cracking the mural that was on there. Seconds later the ground began to shake and a large crack appeared in the floor. A blue field punched up through the crack and Veronica climbed up from the crack. She assisted Carol up who was holding onto Mianda.

Falaen met Veronica's eyes and the Paladin yelled "Be careful BM9 is right behind us!"

The room began shaking some more, and the pool bottom began to fall apart, and a large floating body rose out. The face resembled the one who took Mianda, but the body had grown to absurd size. It looked as if it would pop at any moment, and when she reached near the ceiling it did exactly that spraying blood and gore across the room.

Dodging the bits of flesh, Falaen took a look at the thing that had emerged from the remains of the body. It bore the resemblance of a woman's body, except it was laking skin and blood was dripping from it. It's muscles on its body were disturbing to look at, twitching in way's no muscle should. A pair of meaty looking wings tore from the creatures back, flapping sending droplets of hot blood all over.

In the middle of the things chest was a fiercely glowing red crystal that sent out waves of corruption. The thing's head was covered with a strange helmet that looked as if it had been made out of bone. After the thing stopped flapping its wings, several eyes opened up along its body.

A deep raspy voice emerged from it as it continued flexing its muscles. "Finally, I have gained the power to rule this world. Let the world know the name I have selected for myself, Caina. All will bow before Caina!" It laughed a horrific laugh.

The Ugly woman getting up from where it had smashed into the wall and snarled with a roar "No, the world is mine, not yours." With a leap she attacked Caina only for the floating monster to simply reach out and catch her by the throat.

"Ah Invidia. So happy to see you. I was so excited when you began partaking of the life filled amniotic fluid. With so much of it in your system, it was so effortless to start to affect your mind. Be thankful, I have a need for you. You will be one of my generals."

Invidia snarled and attempted to hit Caina "Never. I will never bow to anyone."

Caina chuckled and said "Don't worry, I will crush that independence out of you. I know you wanted to take on a new body, but I can't have you escaping my grasp, so I will have to change your body."

The helmet around Caina's face spread open revealing a horrific maw of teeth. From within this teethly hellhole came a tentacle that shoved it's way into Invidia's mouth and began to pump something into her. Blackish red liquid began to leak from Invida's wounds.

While that was happening, Falaen ran over to Riley where Telvin had stumbled over looking exhausted. "What the hell is going on?" Falaen said tossing a healing potion to Telvin who caught it.

He drank it down, and some of his wounds began closing up "Invidia cast some sort of curse on Riley."

Veronica went to the woman that was on the floor "It's Natasha, Riley's step sister. Looks like her arm was ripped off."

"Yeah, Natasha tried helping Riley only for Invidia to mess her up real bad. Is she alright?" Telvin asked.

Giving the woman a potion, Veronica nodded and said "She will live. But we need to get out of here. I don't like the fact that BM9 or Caina is ignoring us for the moment."

Telvin attempted to move Riley but shook his head, "Can't move her. It's like she locked in place."

Falaen walked up to Riley and said "I'll take a look at her."

Reaching forward she placed her hand onto Riley and sent a bit of her power within Riley. Something attacked her power and pushed her out. Frowning Falaen said "It appears that there is something locking Riley's soul into place."

"Can you get her free?" Telvin asked.

"I can, but it will take some time to do so."

Veronica frowned and glancing towards Caina said "I don't know how much time we have." Invidia was slowly being covered by the blackish red liquid. "If it was just Invidia, we could probably take her, but I can't get a read on Caina. She seems to be a lot more powerful."

Falaen said "The Base Mind said it would take her some time to get used to her power, have you been able to get in contact with Jack?"

Veronica shook her head. 

"Keep trying, I will be as fast as I can."

Reaching up she placed her hand on Riley's head and reached deep within herself to activate the astral projection. Her soul loosened up and reached out to touch Riley's soul. Focusing she carefully made her way past the seals on the orc's soul. They radiated danger to Falaens senses, and she carefully threaded through them.

While she was passing them, she saw what the seals were attempting to do. The seals were slowly pulling Riley's soul out of her body. Most likely when it was complete Invidia would have taken control of the orcs body. Finally, she made it to the orcs soulscape.

Unlike Jack's vast city of a soul, Riley's soulscape was a simple house in a field amongst a forest. Going up to the house, she found the house was eerily silent. Trying the door, she found it was unlocked, and she stepped inside. There were no lights within the house. Inside the entranceway she found there was a large painting of Telvin with Riley. Interestingly Telvin was depicted as larger.

Walking through the house looking for Riley's soul she climbed the stairs where she found a woman looking down at her. A deep sense of danger filled Riley and Falaen jumped backwards as a blast of magic struck the spot where she had just stood. When she landed, she pulled out her wand and pointed it where the woman had been standing, but she was gone.

Frowning, she was planning to go up the stairs when an orc girl that was less than four years old ran across the room. "Hello, are you a nice lady?" The orc girl said.

"Yes, who might you be?" Falaen said

"I am Riley before Riley was named Riley." The girl said confusingly. 

"Okay Riley? Do you know where the Soul core is?"

The young girl shook her head "No. The big mean lady took it. The others tried to fight her, but they were knocked out. I'm the only one who is still awake."

"Why is that?"

"I was keeping hidden."

Falaen nodded and thought back to what she had felt when she had seen the woman on the top of the stairs. She realized where she had felt a similar presence before. It gave of a similar feeling as to that soul parasite that had been in Jack. The one in Riley's soul most likely came from Invidia.

"Do you know where the mean lady is?"

The Orc Girl nodded "She is in the attic. But you can't get there as she hid the entrance. But I know another way in."

"Can you show me that way?"

The young Riley nodded and said "I can, but you have to do something for me."

"What is it?"

"Big me has forgotten the promise I made to my mother. When you leave, tell her to remember."

"What was the promise?"

"It's a secret. Just tell her to remember, and I will remind her."

"Okay." Falaen said.

With that promise secured, Falaen was led to the kitchen. Riley pulled open a door revealing a narrow hole. "Go through her and climb up. You will discover the path to the attic. Be careful she is a very mean woman."

Nodding, Falaen entered the chamber and began to climb up. It took longer then she expected but she finally reached to the top and opened a panel revealing the attic. In the center of the room was Riley's soul core which looked like a giant green crystal in which Riley was encased in. Surrounding it was several runes that looked to be sealing Riley.

She did not see the Soul Parasite. Falaen stepped inside only to roll forward when she felt an imminent attack coming from behind her. As she rolled, she spotted the woman standing on the roof above her launching several attacks on her. Dodging them, she pulled her tiara and launched it at the soul parasite.

The soul Parasite dodged the Tiara, only for it to come back and wrap around the parasites leg. Pulling on the soul chain Falaen yanked to the ground where it attempted to attack but Falaen dodged the attack and began to wrap the Parasite up. 

It is possible it was an indication of how weak Invidia had become, but Falaen found that this soul parasite was surprisingly weak. A lot weaker than the similar one that had assaulted Falaen's soul. Still Riley would have no chance as she had no experience fighting in her soul.

When the Soul parasite was completely bound, she went to the seals on Riley and broke the core free. There was a flash of light and several versions of Riley appeared. The one closest to the current appearance of Riley nodded at Falaen and grasped the core.

Grabbing the soul Parasite Falaen prepared to leave Riley's body. The young Riley ran in and said "Don't forget what you said you will do." 

Falaen nodded and using astral projection returned to her body. She made sure to seal the soul parasite, so it would not cause her harm. She would have JP take a look at it later. As she came back to her body, she discovered Riley grasping onto Telvin and weeping. 

There was a loud cracking noise and looking over she saw the blackish red covering of Invidia was starting to fall apart. The flesh underneath was horrific to look at, a sickly color that signaled rot. The tentacle removed itself from Invidia's mouth and the helmet closed back up. At that time Caina glanced towards them and said "Now what should I do with the lot of you?"

Thank you for reading my story. Next week Jack will return. I posted the revised prologue chapter last week, and I am now working on chapter one. 

5