Chapter 127: A Warrior says a goodbye and remembers a promise. (End of Arc 3)
476 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Spoiler

User Name

Riley Scarlet

 

 

 

Race

Orc

Bloodline

Channel of Magic

 

Age 23

Level 13

HP 300/300

MP 150/150

 

Feats

Dancing Axe

Presence Detection

Tactical Advantage

Background

Mercenary Raised

 

Class

Warrior LV. 13

Sub Class

Manager of the Conflict

 

Title

CalmBlade

Exp 50/100

 

 

Attributes

Strength 40

Constitution 30

Dexterity 20

Intelligence 15

Wisdom 15

Charisma 15

Luck 14

 

 

 

Skills

Basic Axe Use

LV 9 0/100

Crushing Blow

LV 5 50/100

 

Meditation

LV 4 90/100

Charge

LV 3 50/100

 

Wardance

LV 1 10/100

Aegis of Battle

LV 1 -/-

[collapse]

Her thoughts slowed to a crawl and her vision was filled with a buzzing static filling Riley's world. The beating of her heart in her ears at least told her she was still alive, and she could feel only terror in this nightmare-scape. Suddenly it began to let up without warning and the hold Invidia had on her mind was loosening and her vision seemed to come out of a tunnel and fade back to normal.

With her vision coming into focus, she found in front of her was Telvin who was looking at her with concern in his eyes. She stepped forward on legs that were regaining their strength and embraced him in a deep hug. Riley found tears began to fall like a river from her eyes. Before she could speak to Telvin she heard a deep raspy feminine voice came from above her. She glanced up in confusion and saw a monstrosity of a woman floating above them. She was skinless and leaking blood to the floor below.

"Now what shall I do with the lot of you?" It rasped voice said, and it looked over them causing a chill to go down Riley's back. It dropped what appeared to be a cracking flesh cocoon to the floor as it turned towards Riley. "Well now, since I did the mother, wouldn't it be quite fitting to also transform the daughter to match?"

As the floating horror spoke, the cocooned monstrosity began to break free. Glancing down Riley could see that its skin had taken on a dark rotting green and a smell of hot garbage came spewing out that rolled her stomach. It's head was deformed but she could recognize Invidias face or her mothers face on it. The jaw of the creature was unhinged, and three large tongues flopped out its mouth leaking corrosive green fluid onto the ground.

The floating woman dashed through the air suddenly towards Riley with her arms stretching out her only for Telvin to slug his fist hard into the bony helmet of the nude skinless women. "You are not touching her you fucking monstrous bitch." He then proceeded to strike her several more times.

Seemingly taken aback by the attacks from Telvin, the woman suddenly let out a chuckle and grabbed onto Telvin and brought him up hovering a foot off the ground. "Why arent you the bold one half-elf. I have just the thing for you; I needed a good guard dog and you will be perfect for it." 

While Telvin was covered in blood and his clothes were tattered he still had a resilient look on his face. "Fuck off and die Caina." Telvin growled out as she held him up.

"Don't worry little doggy I've got just the thing for you!" Caina's bone helmet slid open revealing a monster maw and a red tentacle emerged. The tentacle brought itself to Telvins face in an attempt to force it into his mouth. Riley seeing that her lover was being threatened by this creature roared out in anger and pulled out her axe. She ran up and jumped swinging the blade of the axe into this creatures back with her entire strength. While it felt like she had hit a giant rock with her axe, Caina still let out a scream of pain when the Axe dug into her.

Before Riley could pull out the axe from her Back, it burst open into a giant mouth. It spread open and bit into her axe ripping it out of her hands with a loud crunch as it began to grind it up and consume it. Caina tossed Telvin aside like a ragdoll and roared "I'm going to wrench your fucking head off and use your skin as a pillowcase!"

The skinless Caina's arm grew massive and then split into dozens of long arms that reached right for Riley. As the arms approached her Riley activated Aegis of Battle quickly pulling the energy from the battlefield around her to create a shield that blocked the arms from approaching her. They slammed into the glowing shield causing the shield to crack. Riley gritted her teeth as the shield put an immense strain on her, and soon it shattered and the arms reached for Riley.

However before they could reach her there was a loud crack and a large portion of the roof suddenly caved in creating a massive cloud of dust. Just before the arms touched her a blue screen appeared right in front of Riley stopping them from grasping onto her. They slammed into the barrier with little effect and Caina let out a confused "What?" As the cloud of dust settled, Riley saw Jack who was glaring in intense anger at Caina.

"I don't know who you think you are, but you are not going harming a single hair on my Users." Jack growled out sending an intense glare at Caina. Relief that Jack had finally appeared filled Riley and she stood warily watching Caina as she changed her focus to the Avatar.

"So you are the Sleeping one, the servant of the Great one. With her gone, look and behold for I Caina will be the new ruler of this world. Bow dow-" Before she could finish what she was saying Jack charged her and threw a punch in her stomach sending her crashing through the floor. 

"Why do these villain's feel the need to monologue me to death?" Jack shook his head and glanced over to them. "You are strong enough to take care of that" He gestured towards the growling monster Invidia. "While you are doing that I will take care of Caina." Jack jumped down into the chamber below the room.

Rumbles of combat from below could be heard as the Invidia creature got onto her new limbs and began to prowl like a horrific giant cat towards them. Next to her Telvin tried standing but he fell to his knee with a grunt. She looked around for assistance and spotted Falaen holding out her wand and Veronica was nearby taking care of what looked like her sister. "Falaen, I need your help to keep Invidia still!"

"I can do that." Falaen took off her Tiara and began to swing it above her head causing a rope of Soul Energy to start to come out, and then threw it at Invidia. The monster jumped away in an effort to escape being trapped, but her arms became wrapped up in the strands and Falaen yanked it off its feet. Invidia's once human body had taken on a more bestial form that more resembled a large cat then that of a half-orc.

Invidia roared angrily and her mouth opened wide and spat out a ball of corrosive spit towards Falaen who dodged it and pulled the soul rope tighter. As Riley was weaponless at the moment, she simply charged towards Invidia who was struggling to get back up. The Archmage screamed in frustration as Riley slammed into her and began to throw several punches into Invidia's side.

At that moment Riley grasped onto the screaming monster woman and hoisted her up and then drove her face first into the ground as hard as she could. The stone shattered and the sound of bones breaking inside of Invidia. Invidia growled out and there was a rumbling in Invidia's stomach forcing Riley to quickly back away as a steaming hot black liquid suddenly shot out from Invidia's rear.

When the steaming liquid splashed across the ground it began to bubble up releasing a noxious gas that seared Riley's nose. Falean had to retreat and the soul strands that were wrapped around Invidia came loose releasing the rabid monster. Twisting around it released another corrosive spit ball towards Riley, and she had no time to dodge but a blue shield popped up with Veronica yelling "I have you covered!"

"So do I" yelled Carol who had been in the corner of the room. The psychic sent out a psychic bolt which hit Invidia causing her to rear up in pain. Riley took that opportunity to charge her and deliver a strong haymaker punch to the monsters gut causing it to grunt and stumble backwards. Riley did not let up and followed her throwing punch after punch into the things side to keep it off balance.

With a roar it twisted around breaking away from Riley and leaping up and over her. Landing Invidia charged towards Falaen. Falaen barely dodged being clawed by the massive claws of Invidia and jammed her wand into the side of the beast. A massive pulse of soul energy shot out from the wand and the blew a chunk of flesh off Invidia making the monster flip away weakly.

When the monster flipped away a several arrows came flying in striking Invidia and rotting green blood gushed out. Invidia landed hard with a growl of pain. "I'm not done with you yet!" Telvin said as he had dragged himself up and had pulled out his bow.

Invidia roared her mouth splitting wide open and the three tongues reached out. She leapt towards Telvin, but Riley intercepted her and drove an elbow into it's back with a loud crack. The beast cried out in agony and collapsed onto the ground. Riley continued on with a drop kick to its head. When it connected there was a sick crunch and it went still for a moment seemingly dazed from the attack.

Grasping her chance, Falaen came running in and shouted "Shoulshock!" and plunged her wand into Invidia's chest releasing another burst of soul energy into the beast. Invidia began crying out in shear agony as its form began to shrivel up.

Invidia let out a wail of frustration and then something emerged from its body. Falaen didn't waste a second by carving it in half causing it to scream in pain and disappearing with a puff. After a moment Falaen ultimately said "I think that was what remained of Invidia's soul." 

Riley stood and went over to the body and was surprised when the body began to move a little and a feeble voice emerged from it. "Ulothin, is that you my child?" It said, and the sparks of memory came flying back to Riley.

In this memory she was a tiny girl and was currently sitting inside a covered wagon. Earlier that day they had passed through a small village heading to wherever her father was being led to. Using her tiny hands she was sewing an animal hide to a bowl to make a drum to sell at the next village. The wagon suddenly jerked to a stop making her look out and see the sun was about to set. It was likely time for her to help set up camp for the night.

Climbing down from the back of the wagon Riley saw her mother arguing with her father yet again. They were speaking to each other in hushed tones, so she didn't know what they were saying, yet she figured it was about the journey they were on. They had travelled far from their homeland because of the visions her father had received. They directed them southwards, but her mother had long grown mistrustful of these visions and wished to head back.

While Riley unloaded the Wagon, the pair finally stopped the argument and began to make camp. Riley assisted her mother to set up a large tent while her father made a fire nearby. When they had finished, it was late dusk and the sun had gone below the horizon. Her mother grasped Riley's hand and took her aside. Pointing to the horizon she sked "Ulothin do you see that star right there?"

In the darkening sky, Riley looked where her mother was pointing and saw a bright star that had a reddish green tint to it. "Yes, I can see it mother."

"It possesses several names, but Orcs call it the Dusk Star. My mother told me a story about it when I was your age, so it is time for me to tell it to you Ulothin. Your grandmother, my mother was a human who settled down with my father in the Orc tribes. She comes from a lineage of powerful magic wielders." Her mother begins.

"Are you talking about mages?" Riley asked.

"Similar child but different. A long time ago my mother told me, that magic was born on the Dusk Star."

"Wait a moment mother, I thought magic was a gift from the gods?" Riley asked confused looking at her mother.

"That is a misconception child. While there are gods of magic and many gods and goddesses know how to manipulate magic, magic itself does not come from the realm of gods. Rather our magic has its origins from the Dusk Star. A really long time ago a gigantic piece of the Dusk Star fell upon this world bringing magic here." Her mother said mimicking the event from long ago with her hands.

"There was a great disaster when that piece struck the world, but in time the world regenerated. From that piece magic grew firm and stable in this world. Eventually mana springs came forth and now magic flows abundantly through the world. Though life is still adjusting to magic, as too much magic energy is still harmful. A long time ago my ancestors, my mothers ancestors, came across a piece of that dusk star. It altered them and while not every one of our family shares that change, I can feel it inside of you Ulothin."

"What is inside of me mother?" Riley asked looking down at herself.

"That would be a path to using magic freely. Ulothin, I know you are too young to really understand but I need you to make a promise with me. I need you to promise me that you will travel down that path as far as you can." Her mother said looking serious at her.

"What do you mean Mother?" Riley asked confused.

"That path will be tough child. That power within you is a gift and should be shared with the world. My mother only had a touch of it and she was able to do amazing things. But I can feel it is stronger then my mother within you. Please child promise you will learn to use it."

"I can do that mother. I promise to learn to use this magic." Her younger self said and her mother smiled at her and embraced her. With the memory crested and Riley found herself kneeling next to her mothers dying body. "Mother, it is me Ulothin."

Her mothers eyes focused on her and she struggled to lean up to get a better look at Riley. "I can see that you have grown into a fine young woman Ulothin. I'm sorry that I could not be there for you as you were growing up. It feels like I'm approaching my end as well, so I am happy to see you one last time child.

"I thought I would never see you again. I'm sorry I was unable to save you from Invidia's grasp back then."

"No child, do not think it was your fault. You were but a very young girl, and could have done nothing against that creature. I'm just glad that Invidia did not get her hands on you." There were tears of happiness in her mothers eyes and Riley caressed her mothers face.

"I don't have many memories of you mother, but I know that I loved being with you. I only wish that you could be with me longer mother." Riley said, she could feel the embers of her mothers life slowly fading.

"I do too child. Ever since you were born, you were the light of my life. I love you Ulothin and I wish that you always find the way to your happiness child." Her mother sighed and then closed her eyes. As Riley held her now still mother, the body began to wither away it's life energy spent.

It felt like her throat was burning and tears threatened to fall from her eyes while she looked down at what remained of her mother. She felt a presence next to her and looking up she spotted Telvin who placed his hand on her shoulder. He then sat down next to her and embraced her and asked "Are you okay Riley?" 

"Yeah" Riley said wiping her eyes and continued "I just never thought I would ever meet my mother who gave birth to me again." Riley said, and she stood with Telvin's help. The room began to shake, and Riley could see the walls around them begin to crack. "I think this whole place is coming down, we need to get out of here."

Grabbing Telvin's hand, she saw Veronica and Falaen helped pick up her sister. From the corner of the room Carol helped carry the small child Mianda up the stairs from the room and they followed quickly as the walls began to collapse from the shaking occurring. They had just made it past the golden door when the stairway behind them collapsed.

Quickly climbing the stairs into the main part of the castle, the ground continued to shake. They quickly passed the remains of Minotaurs and into the main part of the castle. Maids and Knights were grabbing what they could and fleeing from the collapsing castle. The group managed to get out into the main grounds of the castle without hassle. When Riley stepped out, she could see that the rain had finally passed and now the sun was breaking through the clouds.

Moving as fast as they were able to from the rumbling castle they could watch in shock as large portions of the castle began to collapse inwards on itself. The castle seemed to collapse into a giant pit that was opening beneath it, so they backed up so as to not get swallowed up into the ruins. By the time it finished all that remained of the castle was broken stones and wood fragments that were still settling into the pit.

Riley looked around making sure they had all gotten out, when she heard the stones shifting and suddenly the burst open and Jack climbed out looking ragged and tired. He had an annoyed look on his face that turned into concern when he spotted them. He climbed down from the ruins of the castle and came rushing over and asked "Are all of you alright?"

Taking a quick look at the others, she nodded and said "We are alive, but we have had a rough morning. My sister has lost an arm, so she needs to see a Healer soon. We were able to deal with Invidia, were you able to kill Caina?"

With a loud sigh Jack scowled and shook his head. "It was a frustrating fight. She had a ridiculous regeneration rate. I managed to wear it down and was close to killing her. Unfortunately, she fled to the bottom of the base and teleported away. Before I could track her down the base began to self-destruct preventing me from going after her. I'm just glad that you are all alive."

Feeling the depth of Jacks concern and relief Riley felt moved. Before she could respond however, there was great rumbling to the far north of them and a massive pillar of distorted red light appeared. A massive roar accompanied the appearance of the red light. A second later the sky opened up and a beam of sunlight slammed into the pillar and burned it's way down to the ground. The roar turned to more of a scream of agony and cut off. When the beam cut off the pillar had gone and from the sky descended a giant glowing figure of a woman who let out a voice that covered the city.

"Fear not Citizens of Keston, it is I Eramis the Goddess of the Sun, Lord of the Court of Gods. Due to circumstances in the city and outside it, I have decided to take the unprecedented move to take this city under my protection. The God Alacanar is unavailable at the moment to take care of this city. As such I will be sure to keep watch in place of him. As their is still possible hazards in the city currently I must ask you all to remain within your homes until the city guard gives the all clear. Please remain calm as we have the situation in complete control."

They glowing goddess faded away after making her announcement. Riley stood awestruck. She had just witnessed something that had not occurred for over a hundred years. It was super rare for a god to speak to the masses like this, usually they used Oracles. As she was wrapping her head around this, she noticed a woman walking towards them. She was a tall bronze skinned woman that was wearing what looked like a battle dress. She walked up to Jack with a concerned look on her face and said "We have an issue."

"I felt corruption from that pillar. What is going on? Don't tell me that there are problems with Alacanar?" Jack said concerned. 

The women shook her head and said "No, when I left Alacanar was still knocked out. I came down as fast as I could to help you save your Users, but as I came down I noticed that a seal had started being broken in the area. Unfortunately, I arrived too late to prevent it from being broken. I was able to disperse most of the corruption energy that leaked out, but a creature escaped my attack. I'm going to have to go hunting it down before it could do damage.."

Walking up next to Jack, Riley addressed the woman and said "Excuse me, I don't believe we have met. Are you another of Jack's Users?"

The woman glanced at her and smirked. "I guess now that I think about I have become your User Jack." She turned toward Riley and said "You may address me as Eramis."

When the goddess revealed herself Riley dipped herself into a bow. She could see the others did the same, except for Jack and Telvin. Plus her sister who was still out cold. Telvin let out a snort of disdain and the goddess sighed in exasperation, "Please rise, I am not here officially so please keep my appearance here secret."

"As you will it Great Goddess." Riley nodded and said "It is an honor to meet you Great Eramis."

"I had hoped Jack would introduce me to his Users in better circumstances, but I'm afraid I don't have time to get to know each of you better. Though I have to say I know you quite well Telvin." Eramis said.

When she addressed him Telvin looked briefly surprised and then he said "You know me?"

"As a matter of course I am familiar with you. You are the son of one of my most devout Priests, so it would be odd if I wasn't aware of you. Plus when you were younger you liked to draw on my statues, which very few people would have to courage to do so." Eramis said.

"Well what can I say? They looked far better when I added the mustaches to them." Telvin said nonchalantly.

The goddess let out a snort and then she turned to Jack when he began to speak. "All of what happened on this day feels strange. It feels like I walked into a trap only for the trap to be just a distraction."

Eramis grimaced and then nodded. "Unfortunately it feels like we were all played by the Whisperer. Perhaps he wanted to distract us while he broke that seal."

Before the pair of them could speak more about that. A carriage came rolling down through the castle wall gate and slowed to a stop in front of them. The carriage driver quickly got down and opened the carriage door and helped down a short girl who was wearing giant spectacles that nearly covered her entire face. She looked around and spotted them walked over calmly.

Falaen moved to meet her and said "Grace? What are you doing here?"

"The delegates were staying at the castle today. I came to speak to them as something urgent came up..." Grace glanced towards the rubble of the castle. "But it appears that I will not be speaking with them anytime soon." Grace then glanced at Falaen and said "Princess I have just received word that the Kingdom of Elves and the Kingdom of Levarias has aligned with each other and declared war on the Empire. At this time we will have to delay Vassalation of the Kingdom of Kestonia. As such I will be heading back soon."

Riley looked at the castle and said, "I need a vacation."

Thank you for reading my story. This concludes Arc 3. Next week begins Ark 4. I have put out the revised chapter 1 and am working on chapter 2. If you havent read it yet, please check it out. It hasn't changed the story, but has added some more details to the world.

6