Chapter 15.5- Behold the power of the letter Q.
292 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My name is Meg-er daughter of Meng-ur, I am the youngest of our group of refugees. I don’t know my father. He was gone before I was even born. I don’t even know his name if I am honest, I never been able to bring it up with mother for fear of opening old wounds. I know he was murdered in the name of “purging the vile demons” and a few other details like his ruby red eyes I seem to have inherited. But that’s about it. Everybody has lost people here and we mostly focus on the here and now rather than the past. Lately I have been having a terrible feeling that I don’t understand. It started a few days after the smuggler left. I’ve tried to not let it bother me, but it just grows stronger as time goes by. As I am trying to take my mind off it a visitor came.

“Ty-ul come out! There is little time!”

As Ty-ul talks to that strange… man? At least it seems like a man. Some races are hard to tell. He looks like us with black skin with red pulsing veins, but he lacks horns of a demon kin. Maybe a mixblood? And why does he know Ty-ul’s name when Ty-ul clearly doesn’t know him? And how does he ride on that huge wolf? My instincts are telling me not to mess with either of them if I want to live. Yet he seems eager to be gone. Honestly, he is rather handsome at least in my eyes. Unknowingly I let that thought slip though thankfully it seems only mom paid my slip any mind.

 

The adults are doing it again. Do they not realize they are just talking themselves in circles? Mr. is getting increasingly impatient, and I don’t blame him. Also, my bad feeling is still getting worse so I'm inclined to believe Mr. that knights are on their way to us. I wonder what it must be like to see those knights as protectors rather then your execution. But I was born a demon so I may never know. I wonder if Mr. would protect us if we asked? I'm sure it wouldn’t be for free, but maybe? At the very least he seems stronger than anyone I’ve met before. Not that I think anyone would listen to me if I tried to say that. He said something about his kind so maybe there is a whole community out here that we could join and be safe. I'm so tired of running and hiding from everyone and everything.

Finally, the Mr. has had it. He has even backed away as if to make sure he is out of sight. He says they have nearly given up on us and if we don’t choose now, they will leave us. I don’t want to be abandoned by the only helping hand I’ve been offered since I can remember. I don’t want our chance at safety to ride off into the sunset without us. So, ignoring everyone’s startled protests I step out to meet him. I'm not even surprised that my mom stood with me when I got there. She would never let me do something like this alone. I'm just glad she didn’t try to stop me. Mr. cut his finger on each of his hands and painted some strange symbol on our foreheads while warning us that it might be uncomfortable due to rushing. He was right. It felt like my very skin and bones decided to do a dance inside my body. I barely registered Mr. giving me his bag that was very heavy. Yet it seemed to grow lighter by the minute. After that Mr. rode off! But not before saying if we don’t screw this up, he will come back. We just have once more trial before we get our peace. We barely managed to get Mr.’s gift distributed before the knights arrived. Mom and I were told to get in the very back away from the fighting. It’s weird the further we get from the fight the worse my feeling gets. Even though it had lightened up ever since Mr. cast his spell on us.

There was a voice. It is a very strange voice. Like many people muttering at once but so quiet its like they are on the other side of a wall. You must strain your ears to hear it. Yet no one else seemed to hear anything. It called us idiots for hiding something it called ‘heavy hitters’ in the back. I assume it is talking about me and mom, but we aren’t that skilled in combat though. Why is it only I can hear it though? It then talked about abandoning us should we be captured. While I was wondering about that the voice said it gives up and doesn’t care anymore.

“Wait! Then what do you want us to do?” I asked but the voice was gone. After what seemed like forever a new voice spoke to me. It was louder but different. Where the multitude was quieter two voices were clearer and louder in ascending order. It was the voice of Mr. and my own. All it said was “fight”. Then it too went silent.

My mind raced as I tried to put the pieces together. What was the spell that Mr. cast on us? Why did my body react like that? Why did the voice get upset when we were put in the back? Why did it think we might get captured rather than killed? Why did the new voice tell us to fight? I felt like I was right on the edge of understanding something when I heard someone shouting my name.

A javelin that a knight threw just barely missed the archer in front of me as they dived out of the way. That same javelin hit me right on the side of my temple just under my horn. I felt the edge drag all the way past the back of my head. I braced for the pain as I think this is it. I'm going to bleed out right here. Mom rushes over and began checking the wound.

“Thank God! It must have just barely missed you!” mom says.

Just missed me? No, I felt it hit me! I raised my hand to check myself. No blood. No wound. Not even missing hair. How!? I know it hit me. I retrieve the javaelin from where it stuck in the cave wall. Even after biting into the hard dirt and rock it still seems sharp. I ran my finger on it. I could feel the sharp edge but even if I pushed hard it refused to cut me. Finally, the head broke off from the force I put on trying to cut myself yet not a scratch on my hand. Should a javelin break so easy? I feel like it was a rotten stick, yet it stuck in the wall? The voice told us to fight. Could it be? Perhaps Mr. did far more than give us weapons? I might die if I'm wrong, but I’ll trust you Mr.!

With that thought I dove past the archers and into the front line. I swung my sword wildly at the nearest knight while my mom goes hoarse yelling my name. The knight easily blocked my amateur strike, but he stumbled under the force of it. The same knight that was neck and neck with Ty-ul without issue was nearly knocked to the ground by weak little me.

“Careful this one is strong!” the knight shouted to his comrades.

I let loose with abandon. As I swung my sword, I felt something similar to the voice guiding me on the correct way to wield the sword. It’s like Mr. is right here beside me coaching me. Mom too joined the front line though mostly to try to protect me than to attack. Still, I think she is noticing how much force her blows pack all of a sudden. While I'm rapidly improving, I'm still not great with a sword yet. One of the knights strikes got past me while I focused on a different one. My mom threw her arm in front of his sword to save me at the cost of her arm. Both of them were stunned senseless when with a grand *clang* it bounced off her arm after cutting through the leather. They were, but I wasn’t. Taking advantage of the knights pause I managed to cut him down. It’s the first time I killed someone but I can’t afford to dwell on that right now. I also feel something calming my mind like it shut down the unneeded emotions for now. As we beat our way through the knights, we took quite a few hits yet even a stab in the eye didn’t harm us. Don’t get me wrong it still hurt but other than that and being blurry in one eye for a bit there was no real damage. The knights are calling us monsters. I never thought it would feel good to be called a monster before. But seeing the people you have feared and ran from time and again being scared in reverse is a sweet feeling. Magic too doesn’t harm us much though it can hurt far more depending on the element. Or not at all in lightnings case for some reason.

As we managed to kill the 5th knight the rest turned tail and ran. I managed to wound one’s shoulder as he turned his back on me but once they got on their horses there was no way we would catch them. I considered riding one of the horses they left behind but while I am seemingly invincible the horse is not. Thus, a big easy target. I can’t wait for Mr. to come back. As the newer voice says well done, I swell with pride. I hope Mr. comes back soon and takes us somewhere safe.

My Mr. mystery savior.

8