4. Lack of common sense
146 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A human being has consciousness, or at least that's what human beings tend to believe, and of course, it could be debated upon whether a human being has that or not. The human body most of the time acts as an autopilot, and the brain takes care of the whole body, ensuring that a person doesn't do anything that would jeopardize the body.

Now here is the thing that Aric, or maybe all other humans, could do. He could ask his brain to concentrate on different parts of the body. This might sound weird, but let me break it down. For example, there is an itch in your hand. The itch isn't so annoying enough for you to scratch, but it is still there. If you are occupied with some other work, you wouldn't even notice, but once you ask your own brain to concentrate there, it would tell you about the itch and thus prompt you to scratch.

Now here came the kicker for Aric. He randomly just used his brain to check his whole body, and then suddenly, along with the whole body, he saw that he could somehow see two small bulbs of light.

INSIDE HIS BODY.

This freaked him out. Aric, who had been lying down, sat up with a jerk. He checked his whole body again and again, and at the end, he was still able to see the two bulbs of lights. These two white orbs of light floated away from each other. They didn't move or rotate around each other. It was just floating small orbs, and Aric could tell that it was inside his consciousness because he was able to move the perspective around easily and also because his brain was telling him that it was inside his body for some reason.

He took a deep breath.

These two orbs of light felt so fascinating that he wanted to move the perspective closer and 'touch' them. These orbs of light seemed like they were calling to him; it was an indescribable feeling, but he could tell that these orbs were something special.

He approached one orb, and after mustering the courage, touched it. What happened next blew his mind.

One moment he was in his dimly lit room; the next, he was standing on an open road bordered by towering trees and expansive grasslands. The transition was jarring, leaving him momentarily stunned as he struggled to comprehend his new surroundings.

The first thing that struck him was the absence of artificial light. The dim glow of his room had been replaced by the sun high overhead. He looked up to see the sunlight to make sure what he was seeing was right, but then he got another scare as his eyes laid upon not one, but two suns.

"The fuck!"

"What the fuck is this place?"

"Did that orb teleport me to a different plane altogether? Wait, there is oxygen here, which means there will probably be humans here. Fuck.. I really am on a different planet. How do I get back?"

Aric had those thoughts as he went back to his consciousness and was able to see the same two orbs. One's color had changed to yellow, and the other was still white. He hurriedly touched the yellow orb, and just like magic, he was back in his home.

He was glad to see his old place again. The small room gave him comfort like no other.

"Calm down."

He checked himself again, and he got to see the two orbs. The yellow one had again turned to white. This indicated that he could touch it again and curiosity got the better of him. He touched the previous white orb again, and as a result he was teleported again. Unlike last time, this time was ready for it. He was back at the same place. 

"There are roads here which means there are humans here. For sure." 

The road beneath his feet felt solid and ancient, worn smooth by the passage of countless travelers over the years. It stretched out before him, disappearing into the depths of the forest. The air hummed with the chorus of ]different creatures, their calls echoing through the night with an otherworldly melody.

After making sure that it was reality, he was back again at his home. After a minute of calming himself down, he looked again at the consciousness and looked at the other orb.

"If this orb takes me a different planet, does the other orb take me to a different place or is this new kind of ability?" Aric thought and touched it as he made himself ready for another teleport. 

He was expecting another kind of place like the previous one, but what he saw next blew his mind more than the previous one. Aric's senses reeled as he blinked and found himself standing on a roadside, again, but unlike any he had ever seen.

He was greeted by a scene of bustling activity and futuristic marvels. Towering skyscrapers loomed in the distance, their sleek surfaces gleaming under the light of multiple moons, while levitating cars zipped past with a soft hum. Aric's eyes went wide with wonder as he saw that. 

Strange beings bustled about the streets, their forms ranging from the vaguely humanoid to the utterly alien, each adorned with intricately patterned garments and exotic accessories. Above him, the sky was a canvas of wonder, adorned with the graceful arcs of flying vehicles and the distant glimmer of massive spaceships descending from the heavens. It was a sight that transcended anything Aric had ever imagined. 

Despite the initial shock of his sudden arrival on this alien world, Aric couldn't help but feel a sense of exhilaration coursing through him. But before he could think more about the possibilities, he felt his consciousness fading and world around felt like it was swirling around. 

"Did I overuse my new found powers?" 

This was the last thought of Aric before he could do anything. He even tried to touch the yellow orb before he felt his body giving away but it was too late. 

15