Chapter 1 – Meeting Eva
139 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Evelyn smiled in a dignified manner, and put a cup of tea on a saucer. She placed a small plate with two biscuits beside the tea, and another cup and saucer on the other side of the plate. She placed a chair beside the small side table so that the table was between the two chairs.

"I have some tea and a biscuit, if you would like to keep me company for a time." Evelyn said in a soft voice as she nibbled on her biscuit, and sipped her tea.  Her soft light brown hair tumbled about her shoulders, light blue eyes, and soft full lips had drawn the attention of someone, and kept it for the past three day.

A young woman outside stopped at the door as she spoke. She looked in, saw the tea and biscuit, and hugged her middle. It was a really nice day out, the sun streaming in the windows of the small art gallery, and the door open to the public.  It was warm inside, and out, but her actions made it look like she was cold.  Evelyn knew better.

Evelyn's gallery had a few paintings, and some sketches, but didn't seem that popular. Still, she kept the doors open each day, sat to sketch, and watch the front door.  She sketched many things, but for the last three days, she would only sketch her.

The young woman made a decision after several seconds, and came inside. She sat down, picked up the tea cup, and took a tentative sip.

"It is not drugged, nor is it poisoned." Evelyn said, as she continued to draw. The young woman looked at her carefully, while Evelyn barely lifted her eyes. "The front door is fully open, and we are facing it. I sketch here every day." The young woman took another sip, and picked up the biscuit.

"Thank you." She said quietly. Evelyn smiled gently.

"You're welcome. My name is Evelyn, though since you've been here many times, you should already know that." She said quietly.

"Eva." She said in a small voice.

"Well, Eva, once you finish that biscuit, if you're still hungry, why don't I make us some sandwiches, something light so it won't hurt a belly that's been empty for far too long?" Evelyn said, and felt Eva's eyes on her.

"You can see that?" She asked.

"My dear, any fool can easily see that. Your cheeks are far too gaunt, your body too slim, and your eyes as haunted as I've ever seen." Evelyn said gently, and lifted her eyes from her sketch. She lifted the book, and showed her.

"Is that me? How is that possible? I'm not that pretty." She said softly. Evelyn lifted an eyebrow.

"I only sketch what I see, Eva. You are that pretty, but this is only a simple sketch." Evelyn said, and stood up. She turned the page to another sketch, and handed it to her. "You are more lovely than you know, and I long to have you model for me so I can sculpt that beauty." Eva watched her walk to the side.

"Stay with me, and chat. I'll make lunch, and you can keep me company for a time." Evelyn took a tea tin down from the wall, set an infuser with the tea contained, and smiled gently.

This was her favorite blend, and one she only used on special occasions. Her first meeting with Eva was going to be a special occasion.

 

* * *

 

Eva tentatively bit into the sandwich, but was surprised when she bit into a fresh cucumber slice, some mayo, and a tiny bit of salt. She looked at Evelyn in surprise.

"Not to your liking?" She asked, but Eva quickly shook her head.

"No, that's not it. I didn't think a simple sandwich could taste so good." She said and took another bite. Evelyn smiled gently.

"Take your time, Eva." She said gently. "No one will try to take it from you. Food is not a weapon in this place." Evelyn picked up her sketchbook again, and began to draw once more.

"What makes you draw with the excitement I see in your eyes?" Eva asked. Evelyn smiled, and continued to draw.

"I am an artist. When an artist sees something they like, they either write about it, paint it, sculpt it, or draw it." She said and took another look into Eva's eyes, before looking down again. "I sculpt, and I draw. Sometimes I also paint, when the mood hits me." After several more strokes, she showed Eva the picture.

"It looks different." She said, and looked closer. "My eyes don't look the same as before."

"Of course. You're eating a meal, and someone is not using it against you." She said, which made Eva blush. "Your eyes reflect your mood, and your mood reflects your experiences." She smiled at Eva, and looked her in the eyes.

"I want you to stay with me for a while. I will feed you, give you a warm bed to sleep in, as long as you let me draw you whenever the mood hits.  Maybe some day, you may even model for me." Evelyn said, and watched her eyes. She could easily read her mood. Insecure, trust not built yet, but hopeful even after all she endured.

Evelyn was quite interested in this young lady.

 

* * *

 

Evelyn guided her up the stairs, showed her the bathroom, handed her two towels to take a shower, and showed her the bedroom.

"This is where you can sleep. Once you take a shower, come back downstairs, and keep me company." Evelyn said, and tilted her head. "You have a question." She said, but it wasn't a question she asked. She could see it in her eyes.

"I thought the bed you would show me..." She started, but Evelyn grinned.

"Dear Eva, staying here and keeping me company is not the same as 'share my bed for food'." Evelyn grinned, and chuckled softly. "I prefer my lovers to be willing participants, not hostages of their needs." Evelyn walked away.

"Don't forget to use the shampoo and conditioner in the tub. You don't have any of your own yet. Also," She picked up a robe, and turned back. She handed it to her. "The washing machine is in this closet. Use the robe, wash your clothes, and feel more comfortable. We'll handle additional sets of clothes in the next few days to come." Evelyn left, while Eva put the robe to her nose, and inhaled.

"I can still smell the scent of tea leaves on her hands." She inhaled again, and felt a warmth inside that she was not used to.

"Why is she so nice to me?"

 

2