Chapter 9
0 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He paused and smirked at me, continuing, "Now isn't that such a good deal for you Miss Blackwell?"

Nodding slowly, I couldn't help but agree. It was literally the case of too good to be true. I would gain all this benefit, but the ruination of my socialite existence wasn't really a big deal as I would not be inheriting anything from my family and didn't need to depend on those connections. In fact, the business contacts I would make would more than makeup for it.

Which had me wondering, "I'm getting all this benefit, but what's in it for you?"

"I plan on destroying this farce of a marriage that my family and the Christian family saddled me with."

"Farce of a marriage? With Alex's mother?" This was news I hadn't heard before.

"Of course. My father and elder brother decided to marry me by proxy to that old witch while I have been out of the country for the past couple of years. Why would I want a child who is almost my age or want to marry somebody almost double my age? Even if I did, it would have to be my choice with someone I like. Being forced into this situation is something I plan to rectify immediately. By any means necessary." At this, his face hardened into a mask of displeasure.

Sensing this was not a topic to talk about, I held my hands up in appeasement.

"I guess I'm sorry for your… pain? The offer sounds really good but I still have to say no. The fallout from my family if I go along with this is too much. Plus this reward is really too much for such a small thing. I'm sure you can just hire someone to act as your Mistress? Secret lover? I'm just trying to spend the rest of my time through high school peacefully and under the radar."

Please rich young master, just leave me alone. Go crush your enemies or rectify your wrongs without me.

"Oh really? " At this he rested his head on his hand and smiled cheekily as if sensing my thoughts.

"Well if that's the case, give me your contact info. I'll send over a contract and you can accept or deny as you will. I'll give you until the end of June to decide. That's what about 3 months? Think it through and let me know."

"No way! Plus, I don't have a phone." I lied. Go away, please!

"Sure sure. An email will do. If not email then fax. I can also send it by radio, owl carrier, or drone. If all that doesn't work, hmm I think my younger sister attends your school. I could send her to be your personal delivery girl? How about that?" that smile just looked evil now.

Sighing in defeat, I properly handed over a false phone number and email. He immediately called it gauging my reaction. Seeing as nothing rang, he peeked at his laptop, typed in a new number and called it, smiling as my traitorous phone vibrated loudly.

Crap. Should have put it on silent! I could feel my face tightening with displeasure.

*Snicker*

I shot him a glare as he held back his laughter, his shoulders shaking.

"Don't act like I'm forcing you to commit murder, just read the terms over and see if it's agreeable. Think it over and let me know your decision in 3 months time. I'll be leaving soon so the seat is all yours."

"Avery!" A loud voice called suddenly. Turning towards the sound, I saw a tall man with blond hair amble over.

"And that's my cue. Think it over." Avery repeated again before gathering his stuff up in a bag I hadn't seen. As his friend reached the table, I saw him look me up and down and smirk.

"Well well well, aren't you a cutie. I see you, Avery. Got an old maid at home and a young one outside huh. Good for you- ow ow ow ow."

Before I could react to his crude comments, a very comedic scene played out in front of me as Avery grabbed his friend's ear and twisted it viciously as he walked away and his friend walked awkwardly to keep the ear from being yanked harder.

He waved once without looking back at me and then he was gone. Noticing people glancing towards my seat I quickly pressed the button to drop the section and slumped on the table.

Why meeee?

1