Chapter 10
0 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Why meeee?

What did I do to deserve this? I was just trying to mind my own business okay? Why were everyone and their mother harassing me?

After sulking for a few moments, I quickly pulled up my email to check the contact details. I didn't plan on signing it of course, but it didn't hurt to look.

After reading it over, I quickly shut my laptop. These conditions were way too favorable!!!!!

I could begin interning this summer right after high school graduation. Housing paid! Food stipend, given! Salary, generous! Health insurance, gym membership, the works! This had to be a scam!!!

I began doing more research on Avery Rockefeller's startup company, Clear Horizon.

There were only good reviews. Apparently it was known for offering their workers really good benefits. In return, the employees were really loyal. Everything posted online on all the employee rating sites were really good.

Pleasantly surprised. I really began thinking it over. Struggle on my own or take this great deal with the downside of having my family probably shun me forever.

Unable to make a decision right then, I decided to defer it. I had three months to think about it.

There was no need to rush.

Satisfied with my thought process, I put on some music, turned off my notifications, and began working on my portfolio website. The rest of the day passed peacefully.

POV Change - Avery

"Avery, hey Avery let me go man that hurts," James complained. I glanced at him derisively, noting his disheveled appearance and red face. With the blond hair, he reminded me of ketchup and mustard on a hotdog.

"You bastard, you're probably thinking rude things aren't you," James grumbled. I was but would never tell him that.

Amused, I released him and continued exiting the building. My driver had my Rolls Royce waiting for me upfront so I quickly entered the back with James.

"I didn't think anything of the news but here you are meeting your rumored mistress, what gives?" James asked seriously. Unlike the playboy persona he showed the public, he was very serious.

This playboy superstar was actually one of my closest friends. He was smart, sharp, and had many surprising connections in the business world.

"I figured I might as well take advantage of the situation. Don't worry I have everything under my control." I replied glancing out the window

Canary Blackwell. Pretty name, Prettier girl. Gorgeous really. Large expressive green eyes shielded by long dark lashes. Exquisite facial structure. Curly hair pulled into a messy bun. A tall, well-proportioned figure. Golden skin. Looked nothing like her father really. A shame really. Maybe her father would treat her better if she looked like him.

Interesting personality too. Like a cat, all lazy and observant until she pounced with her claws out.

It could be fun to poke at while sorting out my mess of a family.

Smirking to myself, I pulled out my phone and texted my little sister.

Avery: Where are you?

Loretta: …Home? Am I in trouble TT^TT

Avery: I need you to do me a favor

Loretta: No way!

Loretta: Unless… you give me a gift of my choice?

Avery: What do you want?

Loretta: A BMW convertible for my graduation. I've asked dad and big brother and they both said no. Saying I'm a reckless driver. It was just one or two crashes, no big deal since nobody died.

Loretta: Hey

Loretta: Brother?

Loretta: Hey, brother?

Loretta: I'm really not a reckless driver I promise. Dad and big brother are just over exaggerating. Really I was joking joking

I looked at my phone in disgust. This girl! I could hear the guilt in her voice. One or two crashes? She was way too spoiled!

Avery: I'll think about it depending on your performance.

Loretta: Anything for you brother! I am at your command.

Avery: I want you to befriend someone for me.

Loretta: Who?

Avery: Canary Blackwell

Loretta: Why? Isn't that the illegitimate bastard of the Blackwell family? I don't mind, but we really don't interact. Plus her sister is a bitch.

Avery: Language. Car.

Loretta: Aye aye oh captain my captain! Your wish is my command! You just point and I befriend! ( ̄^ ̄ )ゞ

Satisfied at her obedience I told her what to do. If she performed well, we'd see about that car. If everything worked out, Canary Blackwell could take it as an early payment of our deal.

Remembering the reason behind all this made me clench my teeth in anger. That shitty old man and shitty brother. All for some minor benefits, they decided to saddle me with some woman while I was working on important business overseas for the past couple of years. If not for my grandfather, I wouldn't mind dragging this corrupt shell of a father down and the company with it.

Unfortunately, that crafty old grandfather of mine had made me promise to clean the family up and take over the business. Still, since I had never eaten a loss going along with him, I didn't mind obeying him once or twice. Heh.

"What's so funny?" James asked, breaking me out of my reverie.

"Nothing really. I just thought the next couple of months are going to be pretty fun."

"That sounds creepy. " James replied, comedically shuddering

Shrugging, I smiled to myself as I continued out the window. The pieces were falling into place.

1