Chapter 01 – Registration has an Age Requirement
345 16 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Four young girls were approaching a dungeon city.

Lining up at the waiting queue, the four girls chatted.

"I heard that there is no entry restriction unless you are acting violently or you are a registered criminal." The albino kitsune said.

"No race restriction?" The other pale-skinned asked from under her sun parasol.

"That makes sense, if there were we wouldn't be able to enter." The girl with pointed ears and blue hair agreed.

The small catgirl with copper hair bounced on her feet. "I can't remember the last time I waited in a line."

"I regularly do." The albino admitted. "It would be rude to push others aside when shopping."

"Shopping doesn't count." The girl with the parasol disagreed.

"Do food stalls count?" The nekomata wondered.

"I think they do." The leviathan replied.

The line moved slowly.

"Anyone remember which currency is used here?" The albino kitsune wondered.

"I don't even remember a city being here." "I have Darkside coins only." "I got Spirit coins."

The adventurers around them chuckled. A woman offered. "I can exchange some coins for you."

"Just show us which are the current ones." The girl with the parasol and the goth outfit demanded.

"Why don't you show what you have?" The adventurer countered.

The kitsune pulled a money bag from her sleeve. "These?" She pulled a gold coin out.

"No, this isn't one."

"Then these?"

"Wrong."

"Here?"

"Those are large coins, but no."

"This?"

"Wait, those are forgotten coins, they drop in the dungeon."

"What about this one?"

"I think those are from a kingdom down south."

"This instead?"

"Wait, that is arcane script on a coin?"

"Mirtelian is called arcane script? How about these?"

"Arcane script is called what? And these coins work, they are from one of the kings before, I forgot the name."

"Perfect. I should have enough to pay for all of us." The kitsune threw the valid money bag into her tail.

"Why are you girls coming here? Are you here for the academy or are you meeting your family here?"

"Academy?" The vampire wondered.

"We are going to join the adventurers guild." the kitty replied.

That caused a lot of laughs. "Kid wants to become an adventurer." "Children should have fun." "How adorable."

"You know we are far older than you?" The leviathan wondered.

"Yes, sure."

"You will see." The kitty replied calmly.

------

Finally, they arrived at the gate which was manned by guards. The gate was large set in the huge walls around the city and had several lines. One for carriages, one for nobles, and one for foot traffic.

"Finally." The vampire grumbled.

The kitsune shrugged. "I told you a small town would be easier."

"But a large city has more people." The nekomata was rubbing her nose. "It smells."

"I miss the ocean." The leviathan complained. "We should have started at a harbour city."

"Next." A guard looked at the four small girls.

"4 to join the Adventurer's Guild. We have no identification." The albino introduced them.

"Children are forbidden from joining." The guard started waving at them. "Go back home."

"We are adults." The leviathan corrected. "We are long-lived races." She tilted her head. "Really long-lived."

"With such small bodies, you still can't be more than carriers."

The nekomata picked up a small stone from the ground and ground it to dust.

The guard stared wide-eyed as she dusted off her hand.

"Why don't we let the guild decide?" A different guard decided to push the problem off onto someone else. "Come this way, we need to get you registered."

The quartet followed one of the guards to a door on the side of the wall, there they entered the guardhouse and were led up the stairs to a room with chairs and a table. "Someone will come in a moment to take care of the formalities."

When he left the four sat down and waited.

"What is actually needed for the identification?" The kitty asked.

The vampire closed her parasol and twirled it. "That depends, the vampires use gender, race, subrace, and rank. Rank means how powerful someone is."

Three men entered the room. "Welcome." One of the two men seemed to be a scribe, one a guard, and the last looked like some kind of official. "I heard you wish to enter and need identification tokens for it."

"I am Official Naklan to precede over the formalities. Scribe Ghan is here for the formalities. Guard Beren is present for safety." The official explained, he was feeling annoyed already. Children without a guardian or parent tended to be either annoying or very easy to process. He was however rather suspicious towards the blonde, red-eyed, pale-skinned, and gothic lolita-wearing girl. The skin, eyes, and power he felt from her were very suspicious.

"What is needed for the local identification?" The vampire asked curious about other countries' regulations.

"The identification requires name, age, gender, race, race rank, subrace, subrace rank, birthplace if known, birthdate, height, status of the parents, a physical description, country of residence, occupation,

There was a long moment of silence.

"Do any of you remember how old you are?" The kitsune asked the others. "Or your birthdate?"

"I forgot." "I never knew." "I don't use calendars."

The official blinked. "Let's start with what you know. All of you are female?"

There were agreements all around.

"Names?"

"Levi."
"Mya."
"Noire."
"Zaria."

"Race?"

"Leviathan."
"Nekomata."
"Vampire."
"Kitsune."

The official twitched nervously. "Race rank?"

"What is a race rank?" Levi asked, confused.

"Like high elf for an elf, or royal in case of the royal family." The official tried to explain.

"I think I count as the leviathan?"
"What if I am the strongest nekomata?"
"Does the vampire queen or the eldest vampiress of the living vampires count?"
"I think we can use my seven tails as my rank?"

The official felt the headache increase and at least one enemy was identified, the guard was already tense and ready to jump at the vampire. He ignored the fantastical ranks however. "Subrace?"

"What is a subrace?"

"In the case of some races, like vampires a subrace would be the original race, or if you have traits from another race."

"Leviathan is a race in itself, I don't have any relation to sea snakes."
"Is death spirit a subrace or an occupation?"
"I am the purest living vampire, so there is no subrace."
"I have multiple subraces. Fey, spirit, and divinity matter the most probably."

"Subrace rank?"

"None?"
"You ignored my question!"
"Not applicable."
"Goddess I guess?"

The official wondered if the girls were plain delusional or absolutely dangerous. "Status of your parents."

"If I had any, I never met them."
"I think I had a mother?"
"I woke one day after the bloodlust of the world created me."
"Goddess."

"Age?"

"I have no idea."
"I think I am younger than Levi."
"I am sure I am older than Mya."
"I have no idea, does anyone remember when the Altean Empire was crushed?"

"What empire? I never heard of it."

"Good idea, I am pretty sure the Yafen civilisation was the first one I crushed."
"I reaped the Naagh Kingdom."
"The Pojan Empire came long before I created mine."
"I exterminated the Qua Civilisation."

"I have never heard of all those, don't make things up."

"Do you know anyone who'd keep track?"
"I could probably ask Death?"
"Ask a Goddess?"
"I know Tama doesn't keep track of time."

The official switched from possibly dangerous newcomers to absolutely dangerously delusional nutjobs. "I will need either a witness or a document." The official decided that a lack of data and supposedly lying was a good excuse to kick them out.

The door opened and the inquisitor who usually came to check for criminals, necromancers and such entered. He froze. "Die vampire!"

Noire waved her hand and ripped the inquisitor's blood out of his body through all orifices and even the pores, exsanguinating the body almost instantly..

"I know that symbol." Zaria leaned over the dried out corpse inspecting the symbol on the inquisitor's uniform. "I think it is that goddess of justice."

Mya perked up while the three men in the room jumped back shocked. "I remember, you are a shrine maiden, you can summon his goddess, she might remember how old we are."

"I need him alive for that, probably." Zaria mused.

"Stuff that blood back in, I'll resurrect him." Mya offered.

Noire waved her hand and the blood re-entered the body.

Mya snipped her fingers.

The inquisitor took a shocked breath.

"Goddess summon."

A golden glowing woman faded into reality. "Who dares summon eeep!"

"She eeped," Levi observed.

"My Goddess." The inquisitor knelt.

"What do you want from me." The Goddess was scared, the four before her could snap her like a twig. That she was still alive was a good sign, that her inquisitor felt freshly resurrected was a bad sign. She addressed him. "You, have you done anything?"

"I tried to erase the vampire, my Goddess."

"You idiot." She was not happy. "You are supposed to find out more about your targets first."

"Say, do you know how old we are?" Levi interrupted.

"What?" The Goddess was confused.

"We wish to enter the city, that needs identification, and identification needs our ages," Levi informed her.

The Goddess looked at the four. "You are not here to erase the city?"

"No, we want to try that adventurer thing, you know monsters, dungeons, and figure out how the world changed when we weren't looking."

"This city is doomed." The Goddess lamented. "Give me a moment." She manifested a tome and started browsing. "Leviathan at least 13921 years. Noire 9845 years. Zaria 11842 years, Mya 7138 years since your first transgressions."

The four nodded at each other. "Let's use those numbers, you scribe, write them down."

The scribe obeyed instantly.

"Can I go now?" The Goddess asked with clear hope in her voice.

The official was not happy at all when the four scary ones turned towards him. "Character witness Goddess of Justice. Occupation?"

"I never had a job."
"Death's Soul Reaper."
"Retired Vampire Queen."
"Shrine Maiden."

"One moment, we will have your identification tokens ready in a moment."

The Goddess unsummoned herself, and the four men quickly left the room.

A little later a confused junior guard entered and delivered their identification tokens.

------

"So this is an identification token." Levi peered at the metal plate curiously.
"The enchantments suck." The vampiress was not impressed with it.
"These aren't even bound to a person." Mya, who dealt with souls, found it rather useless for what was supposed to be a personal identification item.
"I could make those easily." Noire was very dismissive.
"So now Adventurers Guild?" Levi was eager.
"Should we try to sleep in an inn like normal people do?" Zaria asked the others.
"Right, normal people sleep." Noire remembered absently.
"Visit a library?" Levi was curious about books as well.
"Visit a temple?" Mya wanted to see what would happen when Noire entered the blessed ground.
"Actually, I wonder if they still use enchanted mirrors for transmissions." Zaria was a little curious about the current civilization.
"Want to split up or stay together?" Mya asked since the interests were varying.
"We forgot to pay for the entry!" Levi reminded everyone.
"They were happy to get rid of us." The vampiress dismissed the issue.
"I think we can forget that, it's their fault they forgot." Levi didn't care either.
"I want to see the adventurers guild." Mya was eager to continue.
"I want to raid the dungeon, it sounds fun." Levi only knew underwater dungeons and wanted to experience something new.

"Might as well get over it. I get into more spats during Adventurers Guild registration than during city entrance." Zaria warned.

"Let's go!" Mya was motivated.

"I smell something that smells sweet." Levi had different priorities.

"Agreed, I can smell tea as well." Noire sniffed the air.

Zaria pulled the money bag out and checked the inside. "I think we have enough?"

"How do we actually make money?" Mya wondered.

"I could pick up some from the ships I sunk?" Levi had an idea.

"I could ask my descendants for some." Noire offered.

"Pretty sure we can sell some gems or gold. I have some lying around in my storage." Zaria remembered her rather cluttered realm.

"Same." Levi agreed.

"I got more jewellery than I could wear." Noire grimaced.

"I have monster materials." Mya was peering into a shadowy portal.

"Then let's go, I want to try the tea." Noire decided. "Afterwards we will take care of the Adventurers Guild registration.

The foursome went and found a teahouse, where Zaria checked that the coins were valid and ordered tarts and tea.

The cakes were worse than the ones they had when meeting up, but they were decent. The tea was okay too, but the water for the tea wasn't very fresh, something that all four could taste.

The group paid, and gathered the directions to the adventurers guild.

------

The Adventurers Guild building was made from stone and wood. The building looked more like a public office building than a place where armoured and armed adventurers entered and left as their base. Considering the city had a dungeon it made sense, however.

Upon entering the group of small girls was ignored at first, until people looked again and saw the quality of their clothing.

There were several waiting lines available, the ones marked with adventurer ranks, rewards, and materials were ignored. That left only the lines with requests, it was weird that there was no line for registration.

The guild employee was perfectly polite when he received the four girls. "Welcome to the Ghamish Adventurers Guild Branch, what can the Guild do for you today?"

"We wish to register, is this the correct line?" Noire explained their request.

"For registration please use the Beginner Adventurers line. They are the ones who take care of adventurers. The requirements for registering are the following:
Be of age.
Prove you can fight, cast, or heal.
A small test on general knowledge.
A registration fee of 8 small silver coins.
If these apply to you then please line up at the Beginner Adventurers counter."

The girls changed their line and waited again.

"Is it always like this?" Levi wondered as the guild employees at the front were dealing with a party that was getting loud. "Lining up and waiting for someone to take care of your requests while fools at the front who are clearly in the wrong hold up everyone else?"

"Yes, it is." The adventurer before them replied. "They are a new party but have a far too high opinion of themselves."

"That sounds irritating." Noire frowned. "Are they allowed to be so loud?"

"No, a small outburst is fine, but if they go overboard they will be removed." The adventurer pointed off to the side. "Those are the guild guards, they are all adventurers who are C rank or higher that retired from active duty."

"They are getting louder," Mya complained.

"Don't worry, see they are moving. Aren't you four dressed too nicely for helpers?"

"Helpers?" Noire wanted an explanation. "What do you mean by helpers?"

"You aren't here to register as helpers? That is kids who help carry or dismantle."

"No, we are here to register as adventurers." Mya straightened proudly.

"They are guild rank H, H for helper."

At the counter, the loud party got removed, by two of their members getting knocked out and dragged off.

They were however nowhere near done, there were nine more parties before them and only two counters. And it was harsh on the four since they all had superior senses and most adventurers did not smell good. The fluids from monsters and sweat were not pleasant. An air bubble spell took care of that once they had enough.

"Say, is it me or is the currency weird?" Noire asked while they waited.

"Yes it is, seems it is a conversion rate of 7, small copper coins, large copper coins, small silver coins, large silver coins, small gold coins, large gold coins, small platinum coins, large platinum coins, and probably more," Zaria explained.

"Seven makes no sense," Mya complained. "Five or ten are much better."

"That isn't too bad. I remember a nation that had a conversion rate of 100."

Noire was not impressed. "That really makes no sense, and needs huge money bags."

Levi didn't have an opinion, as she did not use money. "That sounds weird, I think I will want to play around with money. I never used it before and I have so much lying around, maybe it is worth something."

"Let's check out how much it is worth first?" Noire tried to be reasonable. "But feel free to offload it all onto my descendants."

"Maybe if I find it interesting." Levi was still undecided. "There is a lot of it lying around at the bottom."

"You did sink a lot of ships, fleets, and islands." Mya nodded in agreement. "You have sunk island civilisations after all."

"I think it will be another mess." Zaria suddenly remarked.

"What do you mean?" Levi asked the floof.

"Remember getting our IDs?" Zaria reminded her.

"The guild should be more used to powerful people." Noire had higher hopes for an institution that was meant to organise powerful people. "I mean they should be?"

"We are the shortest ones here." Levi pointed. "Even the kids over there are taller."

"They are probably the helpers, I see baskets and bags." Mya peered over as well. "Those on the other side have knives?"

The adventurer from before butted in to explain again. "Carriers and gatherers. A lot of adventurers prefer to pay them a pittance to leave disgusting jobs to them like gathering subjugation proof or collecting first floors monster cores. Goblin ears are the least disgusting of the disgusting things."

"If they are worth so little, why hire someone and pay them?" That made no sense to Noire.

"Goblins smell." The adventurer replied.

"That bad?"

"Yes."

"Next." one of the two guild employees called out.

"Our turn. Good luck girls." The adventurer left the quartet with his party.

The quartet was finally at the front of the line.

Soon they were called out.

"Welcome to the Adventurers Guild, how can I help you?"

"We wish to register," Zaria announced.

"You need to be an adult." The female employee informed them.

The quartet gave the helpers a pointed look.

"Helpers don't count as adventurers."

Zaria pulled her identification out, which the other four emulated, it looked funny with them being shorter than even dwarves.

The guild employee checked the identifications and gave the four a disbelieving look. "Please follow, registration is done in a private room."

""She doesn't believe us."" Noire and Zaria said at the same time.

"Let's follow anyway. Not like they can do anything to us anyway." Levi did not care.

"And worst case, we can always convince them." Mya was not worried either.

The guild employee led them to a room and they were left alone. "Wait here, another employee will take care of you in a moment."

"Who wants to bet what will happen?" Mya offered a game.
"I'm thinking it’s disbelief," Noire told her opinion.
"They think we faked the identification," Zaria suspected.
"They will want us to get proof again," Levi almost whined.
"Is faking identification tokens a crime?" Mya wondered.
"It normally is," Noire confirmed.
"Then we get to see guards again?" Levi had a bad opinion of the guards.
"That guy I killed, how many of those are in a city?" Noire had no idea how many inquisitors existed.
"I have no idea," Zaria admitted openly.
"Cities get destroyed so easily, I usually only look at souls, not bodies," the kitty was as clueless as the others were.
"Two cookies that guards come," Levi tried to bet.
"One cookie that guards come but an employee will talk to us first," Noire countered.
"Three cookies that we will meet someone important again?" Mya joined the bet.
"Let’s each bet four cookies, then we do payouts? I think we will have to scare them again." Zaria decided to set down some rules, besides all the cookies were baked by her anyway.
"Deal," Levi was in.
"Sure, I will get more cookies," Noire already planned which tea to drink with the cookies.
"I can always bake more," Zaria told them with an amused smile.

Despite being millennia old they still loved sweets and they chatted without a care, they were beyond being adults or children, and did not care how they acted and how others saw them.

Finally, the door opened and two men entered. "Welcome to the Adventurers Guild, you four wish to register?"

"Yes," Noire agreed.

"Your identification tokens please," the man asked, "and please sit down."

The four looked at the four dirty chairs. Zaria waved her hand and the chairs cleaned up. Not happy with them, the chairs moved to a corner and four larger more comfortable chairs appeared.

The two guild employees stared at the casual displays of magic. The cleaning spell was useful but not enough adventurers bothered to learn it. The advanced use of the item box skill was rather shocking as well.

"My cleaning spells always leave the items wet or moist," Levi complained. "I can dry them afterwards but I am too deep into water magic to make it a pure cleaning."

"My speciality is blood and gore. Not that it is a surprise." Noire sat gracefully.

Mya plopped on her chair. "Comfy, where did you get this?"

"A high elf I met long ago made them," Zaria informed her. "I am pretty sure she is long dead? I could check if she has descendants in the trade, that would be near the world tree."

"Maybe later."

The four placed their tokens on the table and the two employees checked them. "You are aware that faking identification tokens is illegal. We will have to inform the guard and your parents."

The four girls shared looks and smiles.

"Knew it." "They are really that annoying." "Seriously, will we have to do that every time?" "Guards again, think we will see another inquisitor?" "We just got those identifications." "Feel free to ask at the gate somewhere that way." "Go get the guards, the sooner we are done the sooner we can register."

The two employees shared looks at how utterly relaxed and unconcerned the four girls were.

"Go ahead, we are waiting." Noire shooed the two away.

The two men were honestly confused, but decided to call the bluff of the four girls and went to fetch some guards and an inquisitor. Scaring the girls and fining the parents would surely be a good wake-up call for the four arrogant brats.

The four however prepared for more waiting by pulling out snacks and making some more snacktime.

Noire gave the bottle of blood she was drinking from a curious look. "Horny catgirl tastes sweeter than I remember."

"Catgirls are always sweet," Mya informed the vampiress proudly.

"No, they don't."

"Yes, we are always sweet!"

"I think blood taste is a personal matter, like how one tuna can taste better or worse than a different one." Levi tried to mediate.

"I think Levi is right, blood and scent are a very personal matter, just because one of a species smells nice, doesn't mean all do." Zaria clarified her stance.

"I think most dark elves taste very well." Noire mused. "I have tasted some really bad ones as well." The small vampiress changed the topic. "Adventurers, it will be weird to do so many pointless things." Noire sighed. "Maybe I should take a bigger interest in what my descendants are doing with the empire."

"You are retired." Zaria reminded the former vampire queen.

"I founded the empire, it should be fine to check in on it."

"Actually, if the vampire empire is famous, why did nobody react when you said the name or named yourself a vampire queen?" Levi wondered.

"Why didn't anyone react to you being the leviathan?" Mya wondered as well.

"This is getting suspicious." Noire frowned.

Zaria tried to think of something and drew a blank. "I have no idea, I was busy pampering Tama. So I might be missing a few centuries in my worldly interactions." She was the one with the most interaction with mortals, even if her shrine was not well visited. Visiting a lazy and capricious goddess like Tamamo no Mae, Goddess of Sleep, Dreams, and Comfort risked disturbing her naps, and that was dangerous.

"I guess we can ask around." Noire was not worried, if those descendants ruined the empire, it was their own fault. She had done her part before.

"Grape cake?" Zaria offered.

"I wonder why some give up eating, it is so delicious." Mya could not understand it.

"I don't understand either." Levi enjoyed the cake as well. "What will happen to your Tamamo actually? Since you are here, who will be taking care of her?"

"I left Yuki behind, if something important happens she can call me," Zaria explained.

"That is useful."

"And the fey are watching too."

"The fey like you."

"And the spirits are helping."

"Overprotective like always."

"And I left enough meals for a millennium."

"Now you are overdoing it."

"I placed wards and barriers around the shrine with my maximum power."

"""...""" The other three were speechless.

"Dragon agreed to check in now and then too." The floof continued to explain.

Yes, Zaria was overprotective.. The other three smiled wryly.

"I may have threatened Death that I'd be very angry if something happened to Tama."

"Oh, is that why Death was so pale?"

"Death is always pale."

"Not this pale, even the aura was pale."

------

Two low-ranking guards and the two guild employees entered the room. "These are the ones who faked their identification." One of the two employees accused.

The two guard grunts looked at the four girls. "Where are your parents?"

"Did you actually bother asking if the tokens are real?" Noire wondered. "They were issued at the gate. There was even an inquisitor present."

"You are coming to the guard station." One of the two went and tried to grab Mya.

A barrier stopped him.

"No touching." Mya frowned.

"Resisting is illegal." The grunt hit the barrier.

"Do your job and check if the tokens are real," Noire grumbled.

Zaria grinned. "Some things never change."

"Is it always like this for you?" Levi asked the kitsune.

"Yes, usually the guild master has to intervene, or someone else." Zaria picked up a cookie from the snacks on the table. "We will not move until a guild master or someone relevant comes."

The overpowered quartet ignored the four nuisances.

One of the guild staff cast a spell trying to break the barrier.

That caused several guild guards to rush to the room. "Attack magic was detected?"

"That one tried to grab Mya, then that one tried to break it with a spell," Levi explained since Noire was drinking blood, Zaria was nibbling on a cookie watching everything amused, and Mya was ignoring them and picking up a new slice of cake.

"Take the barrier down."

"No, since they ignore whatever we say, the barrier will stay up until we have someone here who is capable of making proper decisions. We were accused of falsifying the identification tokens that were issued about an hour ago at the gate today." Levi continued and picked up another slice of cake as well.

The guild guards stepped forward and probed the barrier carefully. Realising the strength of the almost transparent barrier they decided to push this up the command chain.

The quartet ignored the ranting grunts.

The door opened and a high elf entered.

"Guild Master."

"What? By the Goddess what are you doing here?" The old powerful elf exclaimed, shocked, staring at Zaria.

The four girls turned around and looked at the newcomer curiously. It was clearly the most powerful person in the guild, the high elven woman was stereotypically flat and had light blonde hair. She was staring at Zaria in fright.

"I think she saw you in action." Mya giggled while her eyes glowed with her death sight. "She hasn't died before."

"She is alive and hasn't been changed into anything," Levi observed the woman with magically glowing eyes.

"I don't see any curses or blessings from you either." Even Noire was using a magic sight to examine the elf.

Zaria pondered for a moment before giving up. "Have we met?"

"You are Zaria, the White Fey of the Eternal Forest. I saw you turn an army into stone over 600 years ago." The woman was shaking. "What are you doing here?"

"We want to register here, those two" Zaria pointed at the guild employees "decided that our identification tokens are fake. Then those two" Now she pointed at the two grunts "tried to drag us off without checking the facts. Then that one tried to break the barrier Mya made. That called the guild guards, who called you." Zaria pulled a new cup from nowhere and filled it with tea. "All we actually wanted to do is register at the guild." She offered the teacup to the guild mistress. "Tea?"

The woman looked at the tea like someone would look at a cup of the deadliest poison. She was not stupid enough to take something from a fae.

"This is given freely without any gifts." Zaria tried to calm the scared woman.

She picked up the teacup.

"How did you meet me?" Zaria wondered. "And sit down, you are about to spill." She worryingly watched the almost-spilling tea.

"Are ... are they like you?"

"Yes, the Leviathan, the Death's Nekomata, and the Living Vampire Progenitor."

She dropped the cup, which then floated back up. "Why?"

"We wanted to check up on the world, all the changes that happened while we did not pay attention."

"Guild Master?" A guard asked, confused.

"Get me SSS registration forms, and the S Rank cards."

"S rank?" Levi asked, wondering.

"Ranks go like this. H is like a preregistration, not real adventurers. F, is the lowest real guild rank, beginners are E and F, C and D are advanced adventurers, B are Veterans, A are Masters, and finally the S, SS and SSS ranks are the truly powerful." The guild mistress explained.

Noire frowned. "That makes no sense. Why is S above A? Why not start at A or 1 and then go up instead, that makes it easier to continue advancing in case more powerful beings pop up."

"And you didn't say how you met Zaria, and survived." Levi was curious, most times someone annoyed her, everyone got drowned.

"I was in the village near the Eternal Forest." The elf cringed visibly when Mya served her a slice of cake. "An army came, and soldiers wanted to use the village as a defensive position and she was shopping there. The soldiers tried to confiscate everything and conscript the people." the guild mistress shuddered. "Statues, she turned everyone into statues."

"How many armies did you statue anyway?" Mya asked Zaria. "We can never figure out if they should count as dead or alive. So we are stuck waiting until their minds shatter from being stuck before reaping them."

"It is cleaner and better for the environment than reaping souls and leaving bodies, splattering them, or causing floods." Zaria accused the other three.

The guild mistress cringed.

"You forgot burning countries, swallowing them, slicing them to pieces, freezing them with eternal ice, and all of us having killed gods." Noire reminded her. "Or how you and your fey randomly bless them and change them into random things when you feel playful."

"The goat had it coming." Zaria thought that she knew what the vampiress alluded to.

"A divine goat." Levi giggled. "And yes he definitely deserved that."

"Goat?" One of the confused guards asked.

The guild mistress cringed.

"A god had a far too opinion of himself, so she turned him into an immortal goat and sealed all powers aside from his immortality."

"Riri had fun hunting him." Mya snickered.

"Stop making things up." One of the employees got angry.

"Shut up." The Guild Mistress tried to save the idiot. "It is all true." She pointed at Noire. "That is actually the real vampire, the oldest one." She pointed at Levi. "That is The Leviathan, that sinks fleets and floods islands." She pointed at Mya. "Meet Death's Cat, or maybe Death herself."

"Death is death, a concept, so I guess I am the highest Death aside from Zaria." Mya explained. "I am not Death but I am its administrator."

The Guild Mistress filed that away. "And that is Zaria, the Shrine Maiden of Tamamo no Mae and the most fae being in existence."

"Actually Mrr'am is worse, she is more peaceful than I am, however."

The Guild Mistress took that as more likely to survive and wish you had not. "So if a group of god slayers wants to join the guild, I will let them. Unless you want to test them?"

It was clear to everyone that their boss was serious.

"So what are we supposed to do?" One of the grunts asked.

"Go to the station, and tell the captain to visit me immediately."

"Did we just skip all the work?" Levi wondered.

Zaria nodded amused at the rather sensible elven woman. "We can always do the lower quests for fun."

"Oh, does that mean that we can sell our stuff now?" Mya perked up.

"Yes, what do you wish to sell?" The Guild Mistress accepted the paperwork from a returning guild employee.

"Do you only buy monster materials?" Noire asked.

"Monster materials, cores, and if needed you can use our Adventurers Guild card to sell things at the Merchants Guild." The high elf decided to share the pain.

"Do they take gold, silver, gems, and jewellery? Magical items too?" Zaria asked the woman.

"Yes. You can sell materials directly as well, but usually, we give better prices for monster materials than the Merchants Guild."

"I have tuna, whales, kraken, and other seafood like those."

The elf wondered how kraken counted as seafood, she had been to the oceans and had seen a kraken once but she never wanted to see one again. "How large is that kraken?"

"The smallest one is bigger than this building." Levi peered into a disc of water that manifested beside her. "The largest one probably covers half the city."

"Keep that one!" Zaria demanded. "The older and bigger they are, the better they taste."

The Guild Mistress imagined the size and shuddered. "And what do you have?" She asked Death's cat.

"I have wyverns, minor dragons, and all sorts of delicious monsters." Mya was a foodie and proud of it.

"We can take a wyvern or two." The high elf looked towards Zaria. "And what do you sell?"

"I got food, monster materials, enchanted items, crafted items, art, erotic art, and clothes."

"Seems that most of you are actually better off at the Merchants Guild, food items and such are primarily sold there." The woman happily announced, they were not going to be her problem. She quickly filled out the paperwork. "These are the S rank guild cards, here are papers mentioning that you are actually SSS rank. The real SSS cards and rank need approval from the headquarters in another country."

"We can always go there personally." Levi offered.

The high elf imagined the mess that could happen if the wrong person received them in the guild headquarters. There were a lot of nobles and entitled people in there as it was a capitol city. She did not want to risk scorching the capitol, she had friends there at the academy. "I will have them delivered here while you try out the various quests, the headquarters has mainly escort and guard quests." She wanted them actually, but them in that place was a recipe for disaster. "Your temporary cards will be ready in a moment. The permanent ones need etching, that will take until tomorrow."

"Anything special about them?" Noire asked curiously.

"This is mine." The Guild Mistress pulled out her A rank card that also explained her position at the guild.

"Several simple enchantments, is that low-purity mithril for the card? The etchings are easily done too." The four checked the card. "It looks like a hardness enchantment, a security enchantment, a marking enchantment, and an information enchantment." "Does enchanting that really take that long?" "Sounds like you need better enchanters."

The Guild Mistress hoped that they would leave quickly.

Did they hold back enough?
  • Yes, everyone is still alive, just traumatised. Votes: 23 37.1%
  • No, too much trauma, Goddess is scared. Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Held back too much, everyone is still alive and human. Votes: 24 38.7%
  • No hurry, it will happen! Votes: 12 19.4%
Total voters: 62
25