1.2 – The White Plains
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Run!”

Rhob’s scream woke me from my lethargy. People were running everywhere, trying to escape. I jumped lightly from my horse, effortlessly slaughtering a small Bhor’ that was too close for his own good before pulling my blade.

“Mherlk!” I called, beckoning him to come closer.

The large Bhor’ he was fighting fell into the dirt. He stepped back toward me. My sword was pointed at the distant group, which seemed to be struggling. Were they soldiers? A few of them seemed to wear cheap pieces of armor. Around them, men and women were trying to defend themselves with trimmed branches. Their backs were turned on us; it was hard to assess how strong their opponents were. From here, we could see four Bhors advancing, crouched to take them from behind. I put my hand on Mherlk’s right shoulder. He nodded before swallowing the distance to his goal.

Frehei’Larn! I whispered before taking off.

An infernal dance started for the both of us. While Mherlk was trying to defend the struggling group, I was going to protect our backs. All around us, Bhors were waiting for the right opportunity to strike. The only difference between them and goblins was their patience. It was a risky tactic, but many times it proved to be useful. And this time there was enough space to fight... To reach his targets, Mherlk dodged two goblins, who now had no choice but to face me. A breath—that was the time it took me to plunge my blade into the heart of the first one. At the same time, the second one jumped at me with a scream of rage. A well-placed kick forced him to step back, giving me time to release my sword. Shouting again, he charged.

“Endless shouting; that’s annoying.” I said, releasing my frustration.

I stood there, my blade out of sight. At the last moment, I rotated on my left leg, putting the tip of my blade towards him. Carried away by his course, he impaled himself on the blade.

Only a few seconds had passed. Mherlk was surrounded and crushed the first Bhor’. One of the three still alive held a dagger, and another one used a little mace. They both attacked at the same time, one front and one behind him. It was too late to help him. Without moving his head, Mherlk caught the dagger that was going straight for his chest with his gloved hand and threw the weapon, which stuck between his owner’s eyes. The mace hit his target. Mherlk's neck. The weapon got stuck one inch from his neck, held back by an invisible force. The energy inside my body disappeared at this moment. The spell to protect him needed energy from somewhere; it took it from his caster. I leaned for a few seconds on my weapon, waiting for my head to stop spinning. Understanding what had just happened, Mherlk struck the face of the one who had just tried to give him a fatal blow. The head exploded with that single strike, leaving nothing above the shoulders’ monster. The last one, frightened, got used as a punching ball. His body was reduced to pulp at the end of the process. A fifth one approaching received the little mace on the back of the head, dead on the spot.

 

“You, okay?”

“I am good!” I answered, spitting some blood.

My head was still spinning. It would be good in a few minutes, but we didn’t have this kind of time. The group struggling before was now one step away from death. I was right behind Mherlk running toward them.

Only half of the soldiers from before seemed to be still alive. Right behind my companion, I hopped into the crowd of monsters. My first victim barely had time to see his hand hit the floor before I took his head. Another one got my foot right in the face. This one didn’t get up either. A third, a fourth, and a fifth. Mherlk was just as productive as me. We caught them by surprise, breaking up their formation and giving the soldiers a chance to counterattack. Slowly, the fight was turning in our favor; the hunters became the hunted.

“Lyan!” Mherlk yelled, panicking.

I saw it too late. A Bhor’, behind me, was throwing himself at me. I didn’t know where it came from; an unknown small silhouette intercepted the creature with a spear.

“Get up!” I yelled to the young human who just saved me.

I stretched out my hand toward her. She paused, afraid. After a few seconds, she took it, still unsure. Holding the dead body with my feet, I released the spear and gave it back to her.

“Stay behind me.” I said, assessing the situation.

 

The fighting seemed over; a few screams of agony could be heard. The soldiers were checking if every Bhors on the ground were dead. Mherlk was talking with what seemed to be a high-ranking officer. Around me, everyone was human. It unsettled me; I could be a target for everyone except my partner.

“Are you good, Mherlk?” I asked, approaching them.

“And you?” He replied after showing that his clothes were free of the slightest scratch.

“Mherlk?” A soldier asked suspiciously. “Are you from Melkna?”

I nodded cautiously.

“We are saved.” The man prayed, relieved. “You should still keep your distance from us, Felas.” He warned me.

I smiled. I was used to this and not at all worried.

“Not the right way to thank our saviors! My name is Caimis.” The high-ranking officer apologized.

“I am Zenalyan.” I answered.

“Zenalyan?”

“Where are you fleeing to?” I asked, ignoring his comment.

“South. See the smoke? This is coming from Tur.”

They were all fleeing the city but didn’t know that they were going straight into danger.

“Show him the map.” I asked Mherlk.

“One of our men fought those creatures there two days ago.” I said, pointing to the cave.

Caimis grew pale. If I was not mistaken, the cave was right behind us, on the other side of the forest. We had to get away from here quickly.

“Gather everyone. It is still dangerous.” Caimis yelled at every soldier who could hear him.

We needed a safe place; I didn’t see any except for the city. And the screams coming from the woods would soon catch up with us.

“Did Tur fall?”

“When we left this morning, the city was still in our hands. Groups of mercenaries attacked us all night. At dawn, everyone who wanted to leave followed us.”

The White Plains had never known conflict. It was mostly a road used to transport goods from and to the north of Fhan. The city’s guards were not enough to handle an open war with trained mercenaries and monsters. The city was under Ral’s protection, and no one ever dared to attack them. New screams coming from the forest could be heard, except they were stronger and larger.

“We have to reach Tur before the night.” I ordered. “You won’t make it safe to the south before crossing them.” I insisted on pointing to the forest.

I understood his hesitation. The city could have been taken during the day. But Tur’s defenses were strong, the walls were high and well-built. It shouldn’t fall to mercenaries. They would need something bigger and bolder.

“It’s simple. Without the city walls, we won’t see dawn tomorrow.” I said I was growing impatient. We must hold on until reinforcements come. You are lucky; a hundred of the continent's best warriors are already on their way.” I finished with a proud smile.

 

Daylight was steadily fading. We sped up to reach the city before nightfall. We were hiding in a large grove not far from the gate. I eloped from everyone with Mherlk to evaluate the situation. Sounds of battle came from the city. A few ladders were leaning against the walls, where not a single soul could be seen. It seemed like the city had been besieged all day, and the assailants succeeded not long ago. The main door was open, and countless enemies were waiting to enter the city. I returned to everyone, with Mherlk right behind me. I had a plan, and we had to do it fast before the night engulfed everything.

“Everyone knows what happens between an anvil and a hammer, right?” I asked, proud of my idea.

“Yes, except we are greatly outnumbered.”

“Just follow me.” I answered. “Those ones are just mere humans.” I continued, realizing my mistake.

One minute later, everyone was in place.

“Advance!” I said quietly, waiving my hand so that everyone would understand.

The faint mist increased our chances of getting behind their backs without being seen. As we were about to leave the grove, two shadows appeared and swooped down on our targets.

0