1.3 – The Commander’s Redemption
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I started running, holding firmly my makeshift spear. The risky opportunity we had just turned into a real one, thanks to the two crazy strangers. Mherlk and Captain Caimis were both right behind me. We were still far from our objective when the screams started. I sped up, leaving everyone behind. Low casualties would be the best outcome, and the best way to achieve it was to prepare the ground for them. A group caught off guard by one woman would already be disturbing. The arrival of twenty-five bloodthirsty soldiers from the same direction one minute later should make their hopes disappear.

As I approached, I could see the newcomers rampaging. Joining the duo, I threw my spear at them. Splitting the rearguard from the main group would be easy. The element of surprise helped me greatly, our enemies were weak. I was already at my fifteenth victim when I saw the other ones throw themselves into battle. Defending myself against enemies from the main group and the rearguard, I realized that the first group hadn’t moved for a while. Rather small compared to everyone, I couldn’t see but there was only one answer that made sense. The city’s defenses were still effective. The two strangers kept on striking anything that came too close with their strange weapons, a spear and a sword, both crimson.

The Bhors that were following us should be close now; it was time to move on to the second part of our plan. Caimis and his soldiers were going through the rearguard like butter; soon they would be next to me. I worked my way up to Caimis.

“It’s time! I yelled, covering the clatter of battle.

Caimis nodded. The line of now twenty soldiers split. One half was facing the gate, waiting for my signal. The other half kept on slaughtering the remnants of the rearguard.

“Go!” I yelled.

Everyone began to close the heavy doors. As soon as we were done, the soldiers placed the unbroken huge beam. After that, we used everything we could find to reinforce the gate in case of a new assault.

 

The night had fallen and the battle was over with an overwhelming victory for us. Our casualties seemed to be low. Most of Caimis’ soldiers were sitting on the ground, exhausted. The two strangers stood between our group and the city guards, who didn’t seem to want to move.

“Thank you, Lady!” A few soldiers said.

“You fought well.” I answered, smiling at them.

“Mauve! Mauve!”

One voice coming from another group started it, quickly being joined by others. Even though the title “Mauve” had never been never used for this kind of occasion, it relieved me to hear it. Looking at Caimis, I felt him still a bit too tense, considering the huge victory we just stroke.

“Mherlk!” I yelled, unable to find him.

“Lyan?”

His answer startled me.

“I already told you… Stop it.”

He laughed, proud of him. I shared his joy.

“What’s happening? I asked Caimis.

He hesitated. I had a feeling about this; I was right…

“Let’s make some allies before things get out of hand.” I told, before heading towards the two strangers.

 

“What a great fight!” I thanked them.

The man’s eyes were shining under his cape. I easily dodged his sword, which appeared as if by magic. Wait! It was magic.

“I don’t see where this is coming from.” I asked innocently.

“And the next one will depend on what you’ll do to us, Id’Iane.” The man answered, pulling his hood down.

“Oh… I see, now.”

I was surprised.

“Last time, you left me dead. What are you going to do today, Princess?” He asked, ready to fight.

“Last time, I let you live. I let you live because, unlike your brothers and sisters, you didn’t do anything. Except for trying to confront me.”

I seemed caught off guard.

“Anyway, I’m not here for that today. So, you can either stay or leave. Just know that if you decide to stay, you will have to fight a few Malts.” I finished, warning him.

If he decided to put aside his resentment, the night would be easier.

 

“I saw you fighting; you are a monster.” A soldier yelled as I approached.

“You want to see what a monster could do?”

I asked with the smile of a killer. He pointed his shaking sword at me.

“You never saw a Felas?”

In two steps, I reached and disarmed him.

“See? You are still alive, and I am here to help.”

I gave him his sword back. Among them, I couldn’t see anyone who seemed close to a high-ranking officer.

“We should burn you, witch!” Another one shouted.

“Don’t make her pull her sword.” Mherlk warned them.

They all looked more worried about Mherlk than me.

“Stop frightening them.” I laughed. “Is Lord Casmi nearing?”

“Lord Casmi left the city two weeks ago.”

“Then who is in charge?”

It explained a lot of things, considering the dire situation they were all in. Lord Casmi was a more than competent warlord, it wouldn’t have come to this if he had been there.

“I guess it would be me.” A man replied, emerging from between two houses.

He approached me and took off his helmet.

“My name is Creist.”

“Zenalyan. Could you ask your men not to attack these two. More battles are to come; they will be a great help to us.”

“You have no right to demand this.” The arrogant man answered.

I stared at him; he held my gaze without batting an eyelid. The new appointed captain didn’t seem to want to say anything. I was running out of patience. I put the man down and placed my boot on the back of his neck.

“We won’t touch them, as long as they are no threat to us.” The captain answered a bit shaken.

I released the man’s head from under my boot. Creist ordered several soldiers to take him elsewhere. He was old and not suited for the role, but he was respected by the young ones.

“Is there no one else to command while Lord Casmi is away?”

“Come with me.”

 

“This is your commander…?”

“Thorf. He died during the attacks at dawn.”

“And you are the one in charge now? Was there no one to assist him?”

He didn’t answer, looking away.

“You already fought alongside him.”

It took me a minute to realize who it was.

“Captain Caimis?”

He nodded.

We were about to reach the square when I heard an argument.

“What do you want me to say? You all paint me as a deserter; look where I am!” Caimis pleaded. He stopped, expecting protests.

“I left this morning to find help. And I did. It’s not the one you all expected, but we couldn’t dream of anything better.”

Again, he stopped, but no one answered.

“You! You claimed you saw Zenalyan fighting like a monster. Tell them what else you saw. Now if anyone has a problem with me, you all know where to find me.”

“You have all heard it, you idiots! Get back to work now!” Creist shouted.

 

“Congratulations on your promotion!” I said to Caimis who was coming towards us. He smiled at me.

“And thank you for convincing Creist! What do we do about the two strangers?” He asked once he was within earshot.

“Talk to them, I guess?”

I followed him. They hadn’t moved since the last time we talked; from afar, it seemed the man was sleeping.

“I am Captain Caimis.” He introduced himself cautiously. “We haven’t met yet, but I wanted to thank you for your help earlier.”

“Wake up, Gal.” The woman said.

Gal woke up and remained seated on the ground, not at all embarrassed.

“We appreciate your thanks, but the truth is we were just looking for a warm place to stay for the night.” The woman replied. “I am Saki, and this is my brother, Gal. Get up!” She ordered him.

Saki had well-styled short black hair and wore elegant clothes. Gal, on the other hand, had white, pulled-back hair and wore worn clothes. Both seemed exhausted and hungry.

“Rumours were true. Melkna’s Sword is truly beautiful.” Gal said, suddenly approaching while staring at me with a smile.

0