1.4 – A tranquil night in the company of a princess
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Rumours were true: Melkna’s sword is truly beautiful.” I remarked, drawing closer to her. This woman was stunning.

“We still have some wounded to attend to. Rest well,” Mherlk interjected, positioning himself between me and my intended target. They departed to tend to the wounded.

“You can’t help yourself, can you?” Saki accused me.

“She is gorgeous.” I replied, still captivated.

Beautiful silver gauntlets ran up her arms. A refined yellow cape so thick that it could be mistaken for a coat covered her whole body. Underneath, I could see a black garment over her upper body and black-yellow pants with knee-high boots. Her long mauve hair complemented her regal appearance; she looked like a queen… She was impossible to miss, and I was amazed.

“Now that everything is settled, can we find somewhere to eat? I am starving.” Saki complained.

I smiled; she would never change. Today’s events had been exhausting, and this unexpected encounter with Id’Iane had added to the strain. Since our last bloody encounter, I had learned the truth behind my brothers’ slaughter and no longer harbored anger. But I still puzzled over why she had spared me then. Now, everything was clear.

 

“Shall we resume our journey tomorrow?” Saki inquired, finishing her meal.

“Of course. We must reach the youngster as quickly as possible.” I responded.

She remained silent, appearing somewhat unsettled.

“Why? What is on your mind?”

“I think we should stay and help them,” she suggested. “We could be of use against what is coming at them,” She argumented.

“You know I dislike meddling in Melkna’s affair,” I replied, somewhat annoyed. “Eternal is a long journey away. Phadrae even more.”

“If you are heading to Eternal, you are going the wrong way.” The innkeeper interjected.

I turned to face him.

“Are you certain?” I inquired.

“I am. I make the journey four times a year.” He confirmed. “You came from the northern mountains?”

“We did.”

“The road is deceptive there. Before the forest, you should have headed east.” He explained.

“What does it mean?” Saki asked, perplexed.

“Do you recall before the forest when we had a clear view to the west, all the way to the sea?”

She nodded thoughtfully.

“We should have taken the eastern road. I found it odd that there were no signs. That’s why the path up here was so confusing.”

“I suppose it’s not natural then?” She surmised.

“Twenty years ago, there was a concerted effort to buy the city time in case of an attack from the north.” The innkeeper answered. “You are quite knowledgeable, young man.” He commended me.

I smiled at him before returning to my meal.

 

“So, have you made a decision? Will we stay and help them tomorrow?”

“I am still considering it.” I replied, conflicted.

The road back west could be dangerous. Would it be better to stay here for a few days?

“Is it any of our concern now?” She teased me.

“Some matters are not as straightforward as we would like.”

There was another issue, a more personal one this time. One I hadn’t expected to affect me so profoundly.

“I am going to check on things outside before going to sleep.” I announced.

“See you tomorrow!” Saki replied, wearily.

Stepping outside, I made my way to the main square, where most of the soldiers would likely still be gathered. The night was well advanced a touch chill for the season. The crackling of torches filled the air.

“I would like to return here when there is no conflict,” I mused aloud.

The town was a sight to behold, built around a hill on which Lord Casmi's immense manor stood. Its towering walls appeared impenetrable. The market square sat elevated, giving easy access to the ramparts. During the day, it likely provided a stunning view over the plan sloping westward to the sea.

 

On the walls, Captain… Commander Caimis conversed with a few soldiers while remaining vigilant. I was certain an attack would occur before dawn; these creatures utilized the night far more effectively than anyone else. Sensing that I was being watched, I couldn’t sit still. Quietly rising to my feet, I took care not to disturb a sleeping Mherlk. Navigating through the sleeping bodies until I spotted Gal sitting on a bench, eyeing me intently. Away from the others, I silently sheathed my blade and approached my admirer.

"I’m unsure if you are staring at me out of fear or anger,” I addressed him, my hand resting on the pommel of my sword.

“Neither,” he confessed.

“Then do you intend to harm someone else?”

“No. I remembered I forgot to tell you something.” He replied casually.

I remained suspicious. After a moment of consideration, I joined him on the bench.

“We didn’t have much time to talk. I simply wanted to inform you that yesterday we encountered two malts on the way.” He continued, showing no concern.

I froze. As long as I hadn’t encountered any myself, I preferred to believe that what Rhob had encountered were merely evolved bhors. There went my hopes…

“I understand that for mere humans, those creatures can be troublesome. I just wanted to give you a heads-up.” He concluded before standing up.

I tried to conceal it, but fear gripped me. All I wanted now was to flee and hide until the storm passed. Today’s events had made me forget the daily fears I faced.

“I am afraid. Will you stay?” I asked, my voice trembling with fear.

He halted abruptly; his gaze fixed forward. He seemed preoccupied. I, too, felt embarrassed by this sudden impulse, as the request came out of my mouth all by itself.

“What makes you think that I could be of any help?” He turned to me, avoiding eye contact.

I remained silent, unable to find a compelling argument.

“I am just teasing you,” He chuckled. “My sister posed the same question earlier, and I have already decided to stay. It was amusing to see your reaction.”

I joined in his laughter. My fears had vanished as I was relieved to have someone dependable besides Mherlk.

“I have an answer,” I replied once I had calmed down. “Your brothers didn’t fight with their bare hands.”

“My brothers?”

“I only know two groups who fight that way. The Lair'Nies and the Twins.”

“Given that we haven’t encountered a Lair'Ni in centuries, I'd learn towards the Twins. Are you and your sister fleeing from them?”

He was speechless. 

“Id'Iane,” he began after a pause.

“I would rather not hear that name.”

“I didn't catch your name earlier.”

“Zenalyan," I replied quietly.

“Did you truly not know?” He asked, surprised. “The individuals you faced back then- they were not my brothers, and I am not bound to the Twins. You defeated fourteen blood wizards single-handedly, leaving only me alive."

My expression hardened at this revelation.

“I was your first encounter with us. Do you remember them?” He inquired, extending his right hand.

Crimson peaks materialized above his palm. I recognized them instantly- the unmistakable signature of Lair’Nies magic.

“I don't blame you,” he reassured me. “I know what they were up to. Greed has always been our downfall; we were born with immense power and no constraint, except for individuals like you.”

It took some time for his words to sink in. Unknowingly, I may have contributed to the extinction of a race that had existed since ancient times.

 

“Now that you're not drenched in blood, I can see how beautiful you are,” he remarked, coming closer.

Speechless, I struggled to respond. Sensing my discomfort, he changed the subject.

“About your hair?”

“Like all princesses of Sirni, I was born with mauve hair. Though I'm no princess, only the mistake of a monarch who couldn’t afford to lose the love of his people.”

I chose to ignore him as he kept on staring at me, allowing the tranquility of the surrounding to envelop us. Despite his presence, I found solace in this rare moment of solitude.

 

“What brings you and your sister to this remote part of the world?”

“We were headed to Eternal to catch a boat to Phaedra.” He laughed.

“Wrong way,” I laughed too.

“I know, the innkeeper told us...”

“Phaedra? Isn't the life of a Lair dangerous enough?” I retorded.

“That's a good one!”. "I have heard rumours of a young prodigy who battles Daurhm’s armies bare-handed.”

The thought was unsettling. Despite his numerous defeats, Daurhm's Master remained determined to conquer Phadrae.

“That was not a joke. You will truly dive into hell. Let’s hope you find this young prodigy,” I offered sincerely.

We fell into a comfortable silence, gazing up at the starry sky. Only the crackle of fires in the square disrupted the tranquility. With him beside me, my worries melted away and I drifted off to sleep.

As consciousness slipped away, I heard him whisper.

“I would like to continue our journey together.”

A sentiment that warned my heart.

0