1.5 – Id’Idane’s choice
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A gentle tug at my hair roused me from sleep. Blinking opens my eyes, I found Gal twirling a lock of my hair dance around his finger. My head had rested on his shoulder as we sat together on the bench. I remained still, savoring the moment. The morning sun had already risen over the bustling marketplace.

“Your slept peacefully,” Gal observed with a soft smile.

“As did you,” I replied, noticing his still-sleepy eyes.

His gaze locked with mine, betraying a hint of fear that I might vanish in an instant.

“I want to continue my journey with you,” He declared, looking away.

His request left me speechless, torn between conflicting emotions. My heart and my brain wrestled with uncertainty, knowing that those feelings were unnatural.

 

“You don't have to answer right now. Take some time to consider it,” he said, gently placing a finger on my lips. “Regardless of your decision, I will stay to help you. Yesterday’s fights were just a warm-up,” he smiled.

The prospect of these impending confrontations seemed to ignite a fierce determination within him.

“Are you planning to get up?” Mherlk inquired.

Approaching from behind, he positioned himself in front of us, shooting an impatient glance at Gal.

“It depends… Are we under attack?” I replied, reluctant to leave the comfort of the blanket I shared with Gal, preferring to observe the events from our current vantage point. Commander Caimis conversed with a group of officers in the marketplace center. From here, I could only make out a few words, which resembled discussions about the continuous influx of refugees and reports of potential threats.

“Not yet… but refugees continue to arrive, sharing accounts of monstrous creatures,” he explained, disappointed by my lack of enthusiasm.

“Did Caimis ask for me?”

“He didn’t,” He answered with a grumpy look.

“Excellent! Let’s remember our purpose here. We must remain vigilant,” I insisted. “Besides, they still see me as a Felas; you know very well most of them wouldn’t heed my advice even if their lives depended on it.”

“How can you be so lazy?” Mherlk complained.

I shrugged off his remark.

 

“It’s not that I hate your company, but I should check on my sister. I left her alone since yesterday, and when she is bored, she tends to eat… a lot,” Gal interjected, his childlike smile offering a glimpse of warmth amidst the tension. “I’ll be back soon,” he added before leaving, giving me a knowing smile.

“We came here to defend them. Until our reinforcements arrive, it’s just you and me against whatever threats come our way,” I reiterated.

“You, me, and this man, right?” Mherlk asked curiously. “You seem rather friendly with him, despite his threats last night.”

“You mean when he feigned an attack?” I asked, innocently.

“I know what I saw. You were smiling while conversing with him.”

“You are right, I was.” I admitted.

It felt odd to justify myself. Last night, being near Gal offered me a fleeting sense of peace. For centuries, the royal family of Sirni possessed the innate ability to forge close bonds with Lair’Nies. It often led to powerful marriages. I knew this fact already, and yet my connection with Gal was already strong.

“You should direct your next question to him. Ask why he let an enemy rest on his shoulder.” I teased with a grin.

Mherlk raised an eyebrow before breaking into a broad smile.

“Let’s go,” he said, pulling me out of my seat.

As we conversed, the marketplace swelled with activity, filled with vendors showcasing their wares. Following Mherlk’s lead, I descended the stairs into the heart of the market. Everyone tried to distract themselves from the recent events. We spent a long-time meandering through the market. While a few appeared wary, many merchants eagerly engaged in conversation with me. Whether out of genuine curiosity or an attempt to prevent any tensions. I didn’t mind because going between the stands was so enjoyable. A myriad of goods adorned the stands testified to region’s prosperity and its significance as a bustling hub of trade and commerce.

 

Leaning against the ramparts, I wordlessly savoured a freshly bought apple.

“The breeze feels refreshing!” Mherlk remarked.

It was. I wanted to respond but I did not. My mind remained fixated on the significant decision it was making on its own.

“Do you understand why I never designated you as my successor?” I broached.

Last night, I found a purpose and wandering through the market stirred similar feelings within me. While I cherished my fellow warriors, I felt compelled to create some distance. Mherlk’s gaze met mine. He knew. Once we voiced it, everything would change. Accepting this shift after countless years was hard for the both of us.

“Say it.” I prompted.

“I have long assumed your role.” He admitted with a sigh. “I never spoke a word about it as I sensed your reluctance to accept it. But last night, something changed. I hadn’t seen you smile like that in ages,” he explained.

He hesitated briefly before continuing.

“You have chosen to remain as a leader even though you excel in battle. You are aware of your weaknesses which led you to understand that no one could match your leadership. You just seemed to have forgotten until now, that I am the exception.”

It was a sobering reality. For years, I felt like an empty vessel, slowly approaching his end.

“You won’t be rid of me that easily,” I chuckled. “You may not need my advice anymore, but I still intend to stay close. Close enough to fight for you. I was never a great leader, and you will never be a great fighter,” I laughed.

Placing a hand on his arm, a wave of relief washed over me. Mherlk was my rightful successor- not just mine but my master’s as well. Mherlk would be the one to restore Melkna’s lost glory a feat I unintentionally impeded for forty long years.

“I guess that settles it. Now, all that’s left is to make the announcement,” I remarked, my tone tinged with a hint of discouragement.

“I’ll handle this,” Mherlk replied, full of confidence.

“What will you announce?” A cheerful voice inquired from behind.

Turning, I found Gal and his sister.

“In one night, you have managed to steal our commander,” Mherlk declared, his tone brimming with happiness. “And thanks to you, she is smiling. I don’t want to know what happened but take care of her.” He concluded with a frightening smile.

Gal’s expression betrayed his confusion.

“I’ll join you once the White Plains are secure,” I explained, feeling joy welling up inside me.

That’s when an unexpected shadow crossed Gal’s face. In a sudden move, he lunged, propelling me toward Mherlk. My head collided with the stone, momentarily stunning me. Despite feeling betrayed and unable to comprehend the sudden attack, I knew there was no time to dwell on it. I had to protect Mherlk from him.

“Get up!” Gal yelled, extending his hand.

His anxiety was palpable. Hesitantly, I grasped his hand, bewildered by the events.

“Your head? I’m sorry but it was necessary. The wall-,” He apologized, gesturing towards the wall.

 

At that moment, I noticed the large section of the wall I had been standing had disappeared. My gaze traced the path of destruction that had ravaged the marketplace. Where the fountain once graced the square, now lay a colossal heap of crumbled wall. Most of the displays were reduced to rubble, and numerous lifeless bodies dotted the scene. The air resounded with anguished cries.

0