Turntables
359 5 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I ran my hand across the book’s binds and traced my fingers along the only words on the plain brown hardcover— ‘The Tale of the Utterly Gutsy Shinobi’. I couldn’t help the wide smile as I compared it to its counterpart, ‘Icha Icha Paradise’ which had a bright orange colour as well as a passable illustration of a man running after a woman.

I felt a pang of sympathy resonate from Jason as I pieced the history behind the pornographic books creation. It seems that no matter the world, porn would sell better than a passionate story of courage and defiance in the face of overwhelming odds— at least, that’s what Jason believed the Gutsy Shinobi to be about.

Nevertheless, I’d get to find out first-hand the story Jiraiya the Gallant had to tell in his youth. I raised my smile to those present in the room— Uncle, Lord Funato and Lady Megumi had all assembled to receive the Konoha shinobi before I even stepped into the Tower.

I shared their eagerness but they still had to wait for me to actually send someone out there with my stamp and seal before they had a chance to meet the three Konoha shinobi that came bearing gifts from the Fourth Hokage.

It was fortunate that Uncle made good on his promise to help spruce the office up. At last, I have more than one couch, a large fluffy carpet simulating tumultuous ocean waves decorated the floor. I had two shelves of scrolls on each side of the room and a stool for my aides/clones to sit at and look through documents.

The centre table in the middle of my new couches was a rectangle of glistened glass. A small candle chandelier hung over it, perfuming the air with sweet lavender incense.

Secret safety mechanisms littered among the improved decorations but that was for me alone to know. And I knew that thanks to Harusame’s sealing technique, the floor beneath the feet of the Konoha delegates would trigger a binding at my command.

Of the three, Jason only recognized one; Aoba, and even then I knew little about his abilities, rank or age or even notable achievements if any. All Jason knew is that he wielded crows and looked like one.

Their team lead especially didn’t raise any vibe of familiarity, Jason was stumped or had simply forgotten if such a character ever existed. He was stern faced even when the environment was generally pleasant and welcoming. He sat across me and bore holes into my person like he was studying me, even the few words I’ve spoken, his eyes followed my lips as if memorizing it all.

He creeped me out and I thought that wouldn’t be possible anymore. I set aside the lovely books, smiling brightly so none of the Konoha hate each of my councillors harbour simmered out to the surface as I fished into the gift box for the second set.

The second gift came in a lavish custom made box of its own, it had a luxurious blue colour and Kirigakure’s symbol etched into the fine velvet. Within I found a tobacco set and its centrepiece pipe, a finely crafted smoking instrument carved from polished, heat-resistant ironwood. It was engraved at the bottom with the typical Land of Fire imagery, or perhaps it would be the Will of Fire.

Next was the tobacco pouch, it didn’t look very special but it was the same blue as the box and had Kiri’s symbol on it as well. The ornate fabric was already full of the finest tobacco. Beside it were a tamper and a scraper for maintenance purposes, they too were crafted with their longevity and utility in mind.

Finally, when I’d picked up everything I found that the previous items laid within a collapsible decorative stand. I grinned and set it up, placing the pipe to sit elegantly. The stand itself was a miniature of the Hokage Monument and the pipe could be manipulated to let the Third Hokage have a puff or two. It was brilliant and I loved it.

This is a very good start.

“Hahah! This must be from your Third Hokage.” I said, breaking what was becoming an uncomfortable silence as my councillors just watched the Konoha delegates, “A brilliant gift from a brilliant man, I like this.”

Kinoto, the delegate head and the man I’d be dealing with most often smiled a crooked smile, “Indeed. It is a gift for a brilliant man as yourself, Mizukage-sama.”

Flattery..alright. At this point in my reign I was getting used to being brown-nosed but it caught me off guard because I didn’t expect it from a foreign shinobi, even those sent on peace-forging missions.

Kinoto leaned forward and gestured to the unwrapped gift bag, “There is one more gift for you, Mizukage-sama, one from Lady Uzumaki herself.”

I felt my councillors tense at the mention of the Uzumaki but my smile remained, I was in too good a mood to let the past ruin it, even though it was a gruesome past.

The last gift came in a sealing scroll, not surprising an Uzumaki would seal her gift rather than package it. I unravelled it and was about to activate the seal when I paused and looked up at Kinoto, “Do you have any idea what’s in here? I don’t want it to be pounds of water or…”

The other Konoha shinobi looked slightly offended at the accusation but Kinoto’s crooked smile remained as he waved my concerns, “No, no such thing, we are threading a dangerous…I mean…delicate relations.”

I knew there’s little chance that Kushina would try something funny with her husband’s name on the bill. Still, Yagura was keenly cautious, even if I’m quite disarmed at the thought of a gift from her.

Chakra pulsed through the unfurled scroll and three big bags of seeds, a lunchbox of fruit and a note appeared in a puff of rapidly absorbed smoke. My councillors were curious as I picked and began reading the note.

The willingness to forgive is not forgiveness. Enjoy the fruits, they’re good for youthful warriors, y’know?’

I…that wasn’t what I was expecting either. The message was clear though, it would be a long road to forgiveness and cooperation but just the fact that Konoha came to the table is a start, of course, the real test begins with this delegation…

“Junichi!” I summoned the young man from outside my office, he snapped into the office and gave a bow at the assembled Councillors and the delegates submitting himself to my side. “Send the seeds to the Estate contractor, I want a garden.”

Junichi would usually be at my side but he was a Chuunin and not of my clan and I didn’t know what would come of this meeting, so he was stationed right outside the door as an extra guard. Information security was very important and as much as I tolerated the Hoshigaki, I could tell they’d twist anything to their advantage, just like any other clan.

He gathered the bags and heaved them out with him. I smiled at Kinoto as Junichi shut the door behind him, “Thank you for the gifts, I am happy to receive them. I hope your Hokage will pardon my liaisons for coming empty handed…it was an impromptu situation.”

Kinoto shook his head, “Of course, we understand more than you know…” a knowing smile creeped onto his face and I shivered in wonder. That was it, there was something else going on here…they must know about the Amegakure team.

I expected them to but now that it’s in my face I wonder what our following discussions will lead to. So far, first impressions are wonderful so perhaps any misunderstandings can be smoothed over tea.

Lord Funato’s cane struck the silence away, he hummed and set a single eye on Kinoto, “Now, before you take rest, tell us how our operatives are, we didn’t learn of your arrival until now.”

Kinoto glanced at his teammates, he nodded and they stood to leave. Lady Megumi wanted to protest but Uncle shook his head at her. Once Aoba and the other one were behind the doors, Kinoto sat up straight and locked his gaze on me.

“Actually, let’s talk about Amegakure instead.”


If you wish to support myself and the library, as well as read ahead click here

See ya next tomorrow!

14