Diplomatic Cheek
377 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lord Funato was fuming. His grip on his cane nearly broke it to pieces, splinters flung about the room as he barely restrained himself from doing just that. I knew he wouldn’t, Lady Megumi had kept herself in check albeit with a frown so deep it hurt to look and Uncle simply levelled a glare at the Konoha delegate, or better yet, agent.

He did well to weather the swirl of killing intent leaking from all three of my advisors but no matter what training he’s undergone; he couldn’t stop his body from reacting on its own. A damp trail of sweat dripped down the side of his head as he measured a smile at me, the reason none of my advisors had taken his head off entirely.

I leaned forward, took a breath and let out a low, sardonic chuckle. “I expected Konoha would learn about Amegakure but I didn’t think they’d be so hostile. What is the point of threatening our operatives? Have they done anything to harm Konoha? Why deprive them of their village?”

I wasn’t putting any pressure on Kinoto with my words, in fact, as unamused as I am to learn about Konoha stealing our communications, I made sure to wear my most diplomatic smile.

This is a test of sorts.

Kinoto shifted in his seat and swallowed, “Ah, yes well, I assure you all communications will be restored in a few days. We simply couldn’t allow Kirigakure to prepare for this meeting, as we could not prepare for your agents using our security to leak into Amegakure with god knows what. The Hokage wishes our relations to be transparent from now on, that is why I have simply stated our priority intentions for coming here.”

I leaned back into the very comfortable single seater Uncle bought for my office, rested my arms and narrowed a glare at Kinoto, “Transparent…then, I should let you know that there’s a chance you and your team won’t leave Kirigakure alive. How do you feel about that?”

His body shivered as a sliver of Yagura’s fury grazed him and yet his face remained unnervingly plastered with that crooked smile. “That is a risk I have already been briefed on. If you wish to escalate hostilities…Konoha is more than ready.”

Lord Funato’s cane cracked once more.

I nodded and pointed at his legs, “That is good, because if I do not hear from my people within the week I will use Samehada to saw off one leg at a time. And each time I’ll throw you in the water, see how well you swim with a bleeding stump. Konoha had better be ready, because they’ll cross those waters and I sure hope they know what your legs look like because it will be all the only thing they have a chance of finding.”

He gulped, nodded but didn’t say anything under the pressure of my gaze. I lightened up and clapped, “Very well then, promises have been made and I intend to see them kept! You wish to talk about Amegakure so let us talk, what does the Hokage want to know?”

Here Lord Funato glanced at me, his vice-grip on his cane lessened. As infuriated with Konoha as he is he still wants to know the root of my thoughts behind Amegakure.

Uncle leaned forward and cleared his throat, I nodded, giving him unspoken permission to speak as none had spoken since the meeting first began, “Ah, before we get into that, we should preface by letting you know that Kirigakure is not obligated by any treaty or alliance or even trade to share information with Konoha, these are just the beginnings of a new relationship and already we are disappointed.”

Kinoto shrugged, finally sitting easy, “Konoha was disappointed as well, to learn that Kiri was moving behind its back into Amegakure.”

Lady Megumi snorted, “Behind Konoha’s back? We have agreed to nothing, we merely paid your tree-trapped village a visit and all of a sudden you think you have some kind of right over us or our actions? Don’t be silly now.”

Kinoto pursed his lips, unsure of what else to say and so I raised my hand, “Just make sure you understand this fact, Kinoto, what we discuss now is not because you or Konoha has forced us to but merely because I want better for our two nations. This is a courtesy, not an interrogation.”

I couldn’t tell what he thought about that as he merely extended that creepy smile of his and nodded, “Very well, may we begin?” I nodded and he sat up straight as he recited the questions Konoha no doubt fed him to ask, “What is the concern with Amegakure? You must understand our history with them and so…”

I breathed in and felt Lord Funato’s one-eyed gaze on me, “Amegakure or rather, Hanzo the Salamander is a curious subject for me, I wish to speak with him.”

Kinoto’s breath hitched, “About what?”

“That is none of Konoha’s concern, unfortunately, but I can assure you that whatever comes of it will not harm Konoha.” He didn’t look satisfied but of course, how would he with such a vague answer. “Any other questions?”

“…Why did you accept Hokage-sama’s offer?”

Yagura chuckled gleefully, “Ho? I thought that’s what he wanted? Did he not want Kiri to accept his offer? Did he not want to build bridges? Tell me now and I’ll go right ahead and chop one of your legs off.”

Kinoto was unfazed though he shook, “That is not an answer, Mizukage-sama.”

“Well, well, I accepted because I knew it was half-hearted. I wanted to know if your Hokage would keep his word or backtrack out of hate. I am not my predecessor after all as your Yondaime is not his. I dream of peace, you see but I know how naïve that will sound in this world of ours, hence, I was glad to receive the Hokage’s offer to connect. I hope Konoha won’t force me to spit in his hand.”

Kinoto still didn’t look satisfied, but he nodded anyway and wore that wide smile of his, “Very well, you will not be disappointed. You will hear from your agents soon. Now, are there any questions for me?”

I nodded, “I’d like to reciprocate the wonderful gifts your delegation brought, it was indecent of me to send my people empty-handed. So tell me about Minato Namikaze, what kind of a man is he?”


Wowwowwow. WOW. Lots of discussion on that last chapter, live for it. Though...am I cliche or is everyone just smarter?
Time for some bad news :(

The combination of inconsistent power and upload speed is kicking my butt. Dragging my feet and that's not fresh. I might have to give up this posting schedule next month, wish me luck tho.

15