A Strong Will
414 13 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Danzo understood the power of darkness, the security it granted once you embraced it however, nothing was more powerful than the Will of the Hokage, the Will of Fire.

And yet, it wasn’t often that the best action was to follow the will of the Hokage. A shameful thought, truly, as the Hokage is meant to be the personification of the Will of Fire, the truth and strength of Konoha’s shinobi.

But perhaps that’s because the person chosen to be Hokage all this time was the wrong one. That the true Will of Fire had skipped an entire generation thanks to the Second Hokage’s battle fatigued decision. Thanks to that, the Third Great Shinobi war took off; the others could smell weakness bleed into Konoha’s heart and like vultures they swarmed.

Had the Will of Fire been true, such audacity would have never occurred. Hiruzen’s fortitude waned. Whether it was when his son was born or when the Slug girl’s nephew die, Danzo wasn’t sure but it had waned.

Fortunately, the Will of Fire persists and now there’s a chance at prosperity, freedom, peace. It’s true Danzo was impartial to Orochimaru when it came to choosing the Fourth Hokage, but that was merely the confidence of a satisfied customer and his own assuredness that Orochimaru would bend to his will.

He didn’t even have to puppet the child; his own fascinations and curiosities aligned with Danzo’s pursuits, but until they can bring every naysayer to those sensibilities— especially Hiruzen— they would act as Danzo’s securities against him.

Of course, now that he’s gone and become a Rogue-nin, those ambitions are no more than the lingering scent of tobacco in the air. “Yes, they ought to have arrived by now.” Hiruzen said, his lips twisted in a grumpy sneer only Danzo could see.

Serves him right for not paying close attention to the obvious, the young Hokage doesn’t enjoy the strong stenches of smoke and has only been polite out of respect for Hiruzen’s place as his predecessor.

However, that doesn’t mean anything in the face of active power like the Fourth Hokage wields. Danzo understood better than most that a child learning to wield power mustn’t be micromanaged or made to feel inferior even with their power. Instead they should wield it independently, stretch its limits and discover what transformations it can enforce.

And when such a power is the might of all of Konoha, it is simply insulting that Hiruzen continues that foul habit in his presence. And that’s why Danzo called him out on it

He masterfully suppressed a smirk at Hiruzen’s reaction, the two ancient shinobi knew what games were played even if it wasn’t immediately obvious to the young Hokage.

“I’m sure Kinoto will be well accepted.” Danzo said, his cane set between his legs as he and his old friend paid what sliver of wisdom the young Hokage would accept.

And oh has he been accepting. Danzo was pleasantly surprised at the young Hokage, originally, he’d relegated the naïve influences over him— Jiraiya and Hiruzen— to be too strong for Danzo’s better sense to prevail. He’d all but decided to remain in the dark, in the root and continue with his service to Konoha but this Kirigakure incident has brought a blessed opportunity not even Danzo could have machinated.

When his operatives reported their presence in Konoha and their active attempts seeking evidence of Konoha’s hand in their Sandaime’s death, Danzo had shrugged away the report like any other. But then another came not long after, reporting that the team had split up, left Konoha and disappeared along the border with Amegakure.

Now that was the firestarter.

Minato Namikaze tossed the letters from his hands and crossed them over his desk with a heavy sigh, “I am more concerned about how they’ll receive the message he carries…we’ve already lit the match but I can’t help feeling…”

Danzo spoke before the young Hokage could voice any doubts that would give Hiruzen leverage, “If I may, as I said in our previous meeting, first impressions matter and Kirigakure is…the Bloody Mist is a shinobi army that only understands strength. Shattering any guise of subterfuge or intelligence manoeuvring at the start of this relationship will set the standard that such tactics will not work nor will they be accepted.”

Hiruzen was quick to fill the air with his weakness, “That doesn’t excuse the fact that we’ve tampered with their communications, stopped them from reaching home. If anything happens to those young shinobi now…”

“Kinoto will handle it.” Danzo said with confidence, he had personally trained that one, he wouldn’t fail such a protected and obvious assignment. “Besides, we’ve already released their letters, they will make it to Kirigakure after Kinoto has delivered our message. There is little to fear, whatever schemes they’re plotting in Amegakure will come to light. They cannot afford war.”

“Neither can we.” Hiruzen said sharply, his fingers twitched for his pipe— this meeting wasn’t going the way he thought— and Danzo continued to suppress a smile.

The meeting wasn’t going the way Danzo thought either. Namikaze’s willingness to heed his warnings was a pleasant change to Hiruzen’s stubbornness. He’d fully expected to be rebuffed, his intel taken for granted or left to handle things via unofficial channels at his discretion. Instead, he got a man to lead a team of wet behind the ears Chuunin, the young Hokage’s personal favourites.

“We signed a treaty, there won’t be any wars...I hope.” Namikaze said grimly, his eyes darted around with every fleeting thought. “What about their new Mizukage, Yondaime as I am. His willingness to accept my attempts shows promise, yes?”

Here neither Danzo nor Hiruzen said a word, they shared a look upon realizing this themselves and shifted in their seats. Minato nodded, “Right, there isn’t more to know than we already do. Repulse-nin, high tier A-rank…S-rank if he’s the Blood Mist’s chosen Kage. A thirst for blood and a willingness to take it. Master of Water Release and now master of Kirigakure, its army and all its tailed beasts.”

His tone was especially sour at the mention of the tailed beasts, Danzo knew the reason well, how could he not. He cleared his throat and nodded, “Yes, all true. With luck we will find out what happened to the Three-Tails, if it has a new Jinchuriki or if it has yet to reform. Until then, Hokage-sama, there is no reason not to be optimistic.”

He felt Hiruzen stare incredulously at him, optimism, especially that regarding the dealings of other Great Villages was not something Danzo often shared. He let his lip twitch, “Yes, truly, you are to be commended and should there be need to retaliate well…Kirigakure will be the one at fault to all upon the world stage. But I doubt it will come to that, our message is strong, fierce…the truth of Konoha’s intolerance to vicious schemes, there is also the fact that Amegakure will not abide by any great village’s will, they’re too stubborn.”

Namikaze looked relieved but that didn’t last long as he said, “And yet, you’ve said none of our operatives have returned from probing missions in the past year. Amegakure holds a grudge against Konoha, Kumo and Iwa more than it does Suna or Kiri…what if..”

“Danzo is right, Minato-kun. I know this would be your first long term relations with another of the five but do not let doubt or fear consume you. There is hope, you have given it after all.” Hiruzen said and threw a suspicious look at Danzo.

Danzo bit his cheek to keep from bursting with a grin, those words would fall on deaf ears, he could see it. The young Hokage was the terror of both Kumo and Iwa but Kirigakure had hurt him in the same place Hiruzen failed to shield during the Second Great war.

Precious, precious students. I could never.


Rain rain, go away, let me post chapters again~

If you wish to support myself and the library, as well as read ahead click here

12