Chapter 93: Separation 
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 93: Separation 

 

After seeing that demonic display, only half of the heirs and heiresses remained.  

 

With both of those two formidable figures standing together, at least half of them would fall, if not more. Although they knew that the two individuals were extremely exhausted— and it was totally possible that both were bluffing— a cornered beast’s last struggle was bound to be the most violent and brutal. Benefits could be gained and threats could be dealt with on another day, it was their lives that were the most important. 

 

The other half of the draconic descendants however were unresigned and stubborn. They still lightly pursued the departing ship, but gradually they slowed their flight until they had totally stopped. 

 

Silence started to settle between the empty space that grew between them. 

 

Powerful whirlwinds of fragmented sword metal still circled about in caution, and so too did that red light continue to bloom even as the distance continued to grow. 

 

The two separating forces gazed at each other. They knew well that they would meet again and again, until the other was totally destroyed. 

 

Those from Everrain were particularly overflowing with grief and rage. Apart from the veterans, many already had tears in their eyes, or trembling with their fists clenched. 

 

In this battle more than half of Everrain’s forces were actually decimated, while only four of the seventeen dragon descendants were killed. 

 

Though this was actually a great achievement. Having Lloyd as the commander was actually a failsafe in case they met more than the number they could deal with. Without him, the fleet was designed to besiege at most ten heirs at the same time, not seventeen. So being able to kill four of them was already quite an accomplishment, even if half of their forces had fallen because of it. 

 

Ironically enough, the death of their brothers and sisters did not faze the heirs much, but those from Everrain had their hearts wrenched at each dead warrior, worker, and friend. 

 

Out of anger and grief, a Rain Priestess slightly deviated the initial angle of the railgun cannon, choosing to shoot one of the heirs that took the life of her companion. 

 

A single blast could indeed kill him. But he was not held down by anyone as intended, so as soon as that river of water approached the man quickly used an escape technique to dodge. 

 

The ship deviated slightly from true magnetic north and a furious indignant expression appeared on the Rain Priestess’s face. 

 

In response, that same heir flashed a smug smile, before he flew over to one of Everrain’s ships that was somehow still afloat. All the others were in the process of falling or had already fallen to the ground, so how did this one stay hovering? 

 

On the open air of the uppermost deck, were two followers of the cloth who had submitted before they were killed. This only served to aggrieve the Everrain forces even more. 

 

That same heir flashed a mocking and spiteful smile as he leaned on the cannon, before he proceeded to slap, demean and threaten the priest and priestess. His objective was simple. 

 

“Tell me how to use this, and your lives won’t be hell.” 

 

Likewise the remaining heirs also flocked to the railgun cannons that were on the ships. Some had landed on the same one that was still hovering, while others flew to the ones that were on the ground.

 

The heirs that were not fighting foreign enemies off of it, were already bartering and discussing who should get it, or what goods they would exchange for it. 

 

The forces of Everrain could only watch in resentment, indignance and worry. 

 

“Commander…” 

 

“It’s fine.” 

 

The thousand sword fragments stopped their hostility, and flew back to remake their conjoined self. Although they were one thing, it was easy to see where they separated and broke off from each other. 

 

Likewise the red flowing lines on Zan’s body turned off and his abyssal black eyes returned to normal, but they still stared at a certain winged girl. 

 

Gayle’s own vision was extraordinary and her sixth was too. She could not only see his gaze from so far away, but feel it. There were the expected emotions of anger and disappointment, but above all those eyes were…tired. 

 

The winged girl looked away. She knew it wasn’t wrong for her to choose herself, but she inevitably still felt guilt and shame. 

 

–Sigh–

 

‘Get over it, Gayle. This was the best, most logical choice. Think about your party and how much time you’ve spent with them compared to him.’ 

 

‘Yeah…This was the best choice I could make.’ 

 

She looked down from below to see her party safe and sound, and her headspace was temporarily calmed. 

 

The girl took one more glance at the departing ship, which was quickly becoming just a dot on the horizon, before her eyes then moved towards her party. They were injured, but not fatally. She had to organize their recovery and plan their next step. 

 

Although she lost a friend, she at least gained allies and the draconic descendants’s recognition. They didn’t need to prove themselves anymore, since now any one of heirs would be happy to take them in, and might even fight each other for her group. 

 

Gayle landed on the ground, but just before she could take a single step, a hand placed itself on her shoulder. 

 

As she turned her head, the golden haired and golden eyed heir named Cassian, smiled warmly to her. 

 

“That was impressive.” 

 

“I think you deserve a share of the benefits.” 

 

“A share…?” 

 

“Yes. Come with me, we’ll discuss it.” 

 

The young man didn’t take no for an answer, nor gave her the time to actually reply. He simply grabbed Gayle’s hand and pulled her towards one of the railgun cannons. 

 

‘Huh!?’ 

 

The turn of events happened rapidly and suddenly, and before she knew it they had already arrived to their close destination. 

 

Around the war weapon was of course three heirs fiercely discussing and bartering. Who would attain the thing? What benefits and resources were they willing to give out in exchange for it? How much contributions did they make during the battle to deserve it in the first place? These were the types of questions that were being asked, and even shouted. 

 

Seeing Cassian and the girl with the illumination bloodline, they knew instantly that the dynamic would shift. Gayle had come with their brother when they assaulted the ships, so there was the implication that she was a part of his force. She never denied it, and now that she was with him again— even following behind him— then that assumption could only be true. 

 

Might was right in their world. Behind their bartering, apart from resources there was a vague implication between all of them.

 

“I have slightly more strength, so I should be given more. If you want this thing, give me more resources or I will make things harder for you down the line.” 

 

Now that Cassian showed up with Gayle, they were the strongest individual force out of all of them. If he wanted the thing, he could shell out less resources than their normal baseline. And if he didn’t want the weapon, they’d still have to specifically give him more resources to appease him. 

 

It was more on the lines of paying more so that they wouldn’t cause trouble after the fact. This was how they did business. 

 

Their world was complicated and convoluted by numerous sets of invisible rules, that sometimes applied and sometimes did not apply. It was all around confusing, and the situation had to always be discerned with a clear and piercing mind. 

 

If there had to be one main rule that always applied however, then it would be that the strongest will always gather the most benefit. If any of them had the strength that Lloyd or Zan had, then there would be no discussion. They could simply claim the war weapon and no hands would dare to touch it. 

 

But they did not have such power. So they had to do business depending on their relative strengths. 

 

Reh-Tom the pet owl, watched this from above but did nothing. Gayle might be intelligent but she was still too green. The best thing that could come out of this is that she realizes she’s being used, and use that to argue for more resources from the golden eyed man. 

 

The worst thing that could happen would be that she never realizes, and Gayle might even end up with either scraps disguised as gold, or nothing.

 

Or maybe…none of that happens…

 

Reh-Tom looked to the ship that was getting further and further away. Why was their commander so calm? Maybe he truly was a veteran who could easily cut his losses. Maybe he held the lives of others as more valuable than material possessions. Perhaps all of that was true or perhaps none of that was true. 

 

But her profound eyes could see any trace of emotion that shimmered even slightly within his, and within those relaxedly calm and half open eyes, was smugness and spite. 

 

Reh-Tom looked down again, towards one thing, then another.  

 

‘She is talented enough. She’ll live…’

 

On a flying ship bathed in the colors of the setting sun…

 

“Commander…” 

 

“Belle and Leonard might tell them how they work…” A young priestess said. 

 

“Only priests and priestesses can fuel it.” Another priest said.

 

“That only makes their lives more valuable.” 

 

“But that also means we’re going to be attacked with our own weapons...” The priestess replied. 

 

“It’s fine.” 

 

“I’ll handle it.” 

 

“You…will, commander?” The meek priestess asked. 

 

“Yes. It’s my responsibility to do so.” Lloyd said firmly yet gently. His voice returned to its normal calm, and even somewhat lazy tone. 

 

“Lara.” 

 

“Give me your hand and your dagger.” 

 

“Huh?”

 

“Uhh, okay.” 

 

A ceremonial dagger was taken out of her clothing, and she extended her hand. 

 

Lloyd first made a cut on his palm, drawing blood, before he made the same exact cut on his sister’s. 

 

“Ouch!” 

 

Lloyd then grasped her bleeding hand with his own, and watched as their blood mixed together. 

 

Lara felt something in between her hand and her brother’s, and it felt like some tiny metal medallion, that was somehow melting away into nothingness through the combination of their mixing blood. 

 

When the feeling of metal disappeared, a series of extremely loud explosions could be heard from the distance… 

0